Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10th November 2010, 18:13   #1561
Team-BHP Support
 
Jaggu's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 17,456
Thanked: 6,712 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaddiwale View Post
Is this normal for a DDiS engine to consume this much oil in 1252 km? What is the normal oil consumption for a DDiS engine?

Otherwise, car is running perfectly - no drop in power, turbo is working fine, getting a mileage of 19-20 kmpl from the day one.

Please suggest.
1 mm difference in oil dip stick is not and issue. If its consuming more than .5 liter in 1000-1500 kms you have to worry.

Very honestly i haven't noticed great level difference between oil changes and i really dont bother if the level is above the half mark. So i suggest you wait and monitor the level for next 1000 kms.

If its still dropping drastically (below half mark) then get it checked, maybe a minor leak at the turbo oil seal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milind View Post
M.A.D. suggested that the fuel tank may have water & may require Fuel tank cleaning - does anyone know if the VDI Fuel tank has drain plug at bottom to drain off water ?
Nope its a fiber tank and no drain plug, you will have to remove the tank. But..........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
This is a common indicator of a weak battery in the VDi. Do get that checked before you invest in a tank clean up.
How old is the battery? if its 3 years or plus be prepared.
Jaggu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2010, 19:50   #1562
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Navi Mumbai
Posts: 382
Thanked: 28 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
1 mm difference in oil dip stick is not and issue. If its consuming more than .5 liter in 1000-1500 kms you have to worry.

Very honestly i haven't noticed great level difference between oil changes and i really dont bother if the level is above the half mark. So i suggest you wait and monitor the level for next 1000 kms.

If its still dropping drastically (below half mark) then get it checked, maybe a minor leak at the turbo oil seal.
Thanks Jaggu, will update the oil level after 1000 km. Lets hope for the best!
gaddiwale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2010, 20:02   #1563
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: KA-03
Posts: 469
Thanked: 48 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaddiwale View Post
Thanks Jaggu, will update the oil level after 1000 km. Lets hope for the best!
Also, you need to make sure that you check the oil level preferably after a long stop, before starting the engine, so that all the oil is back in sump
sriturl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2010, 16:32   #1564
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Navi Mumbai
Posts: 382
Thanked: 28 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriturl View Post
Also, you need to make sure that you check the oil level preferably after a long stop, before starting the engine, so that all the oil is back in sump
Thanks. I always check the oil level in the morning - overnight all the oil comes down to the sump, probably this gives a correct indication of the oil level.
gaddiwale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2010, 17:08   #1565
Team-BHP Support
 
Jaggu's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 17,456
Thanked: 6,712 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaddiwale View Post
Thanks. I always check the oil level in the morning - overnight all the oil comes down to the sump, probably this gives a correct indication of the oil level.
Yes thats the best thing to do, even after a service do this check the next day morning, before you start the car for the first time.
Jaggu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2010, 21:40   #1566
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Navi Mumbai
Posts: 382
Thanked: 28 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Yes thats the best thing to do, even after a service do this check the next day morning, before you start the car for the first time.
Hi Jaggu,

Today after 16300 km (i.e., after oil change the car has done 1617 km) I've checked the oil level, now I can see the oil level is 3 mm below the upper limit.

So far I'm getting FE of 19.8 kmpl (avg), there is no leakage. I have a ScanGauge II fitted, I've monitored the boost, at 2000 rpm car is giving proper boost-turbo is working fine, no black smoke.

Could you please tell where the oil is going? I spoke to Chetan Motors (A category MASS (where I changed the oil) they said may be the oil is going to turbo and recommened to talk to Vitesse (Dealer Workshop). I spoke to my SA at Vitesse and he is telling this is normal. I'm sure in another 1500 km the oil level will come down further to the minimum level.

Could you please guide me? I'm little bit worried.

thanks.
gaddiwale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2010, 21:59   #1567
BHPian
 
Mevtec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Trivandrum
Posts: 198
Thanked: 49 Times
Default Swift Diesel.Vdi Major engine problem at 19,000 km

Hi Jaggu,
we are facing major engine problem in our well maintained Swift diesel (April 2008).Please go through my thread given below when you get time.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...-problems.html

Car is with Bimal motors Bangalore.Any suggestions?
Mevtec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2010, 22:54   #1568
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Navi Mumbai
Posts: 382
Thanked: 28 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mevtec View Post
Hi Jaggu,
we are facing major engine problem in our well maintained Swift diesel (April 2008).Please go through my thread given below when you get time.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...-problems.html

Car is with Bimal motors Bangalore.Any suggestions?
Hi Mevtec we have similar problem of excesive oil consumption in the DDiS engine.

In your ownership report you have mentioned about - "these sort of problems arise due to ignorance of service personnel. He says many Swift diesels had similar problems. Most likely reason may be the overfilling of oil during service. " But any update from the MASS?

Request all gurus to help us.
gaddiwale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2010, 09:16   #1569
BHPian
 
Mevtec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Trivandrum
Posts: 198
Thanked: 49 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaddiwale View Post
Hi Mevtec we have similar problem of excesive oil consumption in the DDiS engine.

In your ownership report you have mentioned about - "these sort of problems arise due to ignorance of service personnel. He says many Swift diesels had similar problems. Most likely reason may be the overfilling of oil during service. " But any update from the MASS?
We have noticed excessive oil consumption only twice.One at 19,000km and the next at 22,000 km when the engine completly shut down.At MASS they are waiting for some special/senior engineer come and diagnose the problem.So told us to wait.The car was towed to the MASS on friday evening.Hopefully they will come at a conclusion by monday.We have send emails to some senior officials.

Diesel engines may consume more oil than petrol.Need to worry only if it more than the normal.Excessive oil consumption may be one of the early signs of engine problem.
Mevtec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2010, 10:38   #1570
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Navi Mumbai
Posts: 382
Thanked: 28 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mevtec View Post
We have noticed excessive oil consumption only twice.One at 19,000km and the next at 22,000 km when the engine completly shut down.At MASS they are waiting for some special/senior engineer come and diagnose the problem.So told us to wait.The car was towed to the MASS on friday evening.Hopefully they will come at a conclusion by monday.We have send emails to some senior officials.

Diesel engines may consume more oil than petrol.Need to worry only if it more than the normal.Excessive oil consumption may be one of the early signs of engine problem.
Thanks. Keep us updated and in the mean time I would request you to share the email ids of concerned person, that will help me to escalate the matter to the company. You can pm me the ids.
gaddiwale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2010, 10:57   #1571
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Pondicherry, London
Posts: 64
Thanked: 5 Times
Default Oil dissappearing

I had this problem a year and a half ago---- since discovered quite a few ddis owners across the country with the same problem.

Basically there is a problem with the OIL COOLER.

This is a simple rectification-- but the great danger is that many MASS automatically decide that it is a head gasket problem ( I came across one poor chap on a complaints forum a year ago- who had his head gasket changed at 10k -- at 15 k the entire engine failed and maruti refused to honour it under warranty!!!)-- When I had the problem two seperate Mass insisted the head gasket- when I asked if they had run a test, they said yes they have-- when I asked them to show me their compression tester-- neither HAD ONE!!!!!!!!

If there was a head gasket problem- it would be accompanied by at least one or all of the following problems:
Excessive smoke.
Noticeable loss of Power/ FE
A "Pinging sound' at higher speeds.

Don't want to hijack your coloumn Jaggu---- but this is a serious issue which has ended up costing quite a few ddis owners an arm and a leg.

Basically at some stage the plate seperators in the oil cooler fail--- the oil then beginns to dissappear into the coolent.

Although the Oil cooler is a relatively cheap item- Maruti only supply it as a unit along with the oil body, new filter etcc.. Parts cost is thus Circa 5000rs

Incidentally-- the makers of the oil cooler tentatively admit, on their site, that there is a problem with this design. They in fact changed the design (for the non-indian market cars) much before the ddis came to us!!
kulvinder singh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2010, 14:24   #1572
BHPian
 
anshurao's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Panaji, Goa
Posts: 276
Thanked: 53 Times
Default Just given my car for 90K Service

Hi Guys,

I just dropped my car for the 90K service. Here is the list of jobs to be done

1. Replace suspension struts
2. EGR cleaning
3. Clutch Replacement (FE has dropped and frequent judder)
4. Regular fluid replacement


Please do comment if there is something specific that needs to be checked/fixed.

I'll post the details once I have the car back
anshurao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2010, 14:26   #1573
Team-BHP Support
 
Eddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Delhi
Posts: 7,249
Thanked: 4,355 Times
Default

Why only the struts ? What about the lower arms and a complete overhaul ? Whats the cost estimate ?
Eddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2010, 14:31   #1574
BHPian
 
anshurao's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Panaji, Goa
Posts: 276
Thanked: 53 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Why only the struts ? What about the lower arms and a complete overhaul ? Whats the cost estimate ?
Hey, I too had asked for the same.. My service guys says the suspension still in good shape, only the struts need to be replaced as there is just this minor vibration on rough roads. I'll know the estimate tomorrow.
You suggest I do an entire overhaul?
anshurao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2010, 15:17   #1575
Team-BHP Support
 
Jaggu's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 17,456
Thanked: 6,712 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaddiwale View Post
Hi Jaggu,

Today after 16300 km (i.e., after oil change the car has done 1617 km) I've checked the oil level, now I can see the oil level is 3 mm below the upper limit.
Hmm i think oil consumption is on the higher side, atleast compared to my car, One area you can check is the intercooler, ask them to open and check. Slight dampness is normal, but if its really wet and dripping then the turbo needs to be checked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kulvinder singh View Post
Basically there is a problem with the OIL COOLER.
==============
Don't want to hijack your coloumn Jaggu---- but this is a serious issue which has ended up costing quite a few ddis owners an arm and a leg.

Basically at some stage the plate seperators in the oil cooler fail--- the oil then beginns to dissappear into the coolent.

Although the Oil cooler is a relatively cheap item- Maruti only supply it as a unit along with the oil body, new filter etcc.. Parts cost is thus Circa 5000rs

Incidentally-- the makers of the oil cooler tentatively admit, on their site, that there is a problem with this design. They in fact changed the design (for the non-indian market cars) much before the ddis came to us!!
Perfectly aok, this is really a good find! So if the oil cooler is the culprit, then that should show up in coolant tank, right? Coz if its mixing with coolant there is no way it can escape from the system since its a closed system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anshurao View Post
only the struts need to be replaced as there is just this minor vibration on rough roads.
Huh what kind of vibration?? How did they arrive at the conclusion of strut?

Check all the bushes etc, struts dont fail that easily. Maybe a bush kit overhaul of the strut is enough.
Jaggu is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Skoda Superb: The saga ends at 57000 km Hayek Long-Term Ownership Reviews 192 25th January 2017 21:19
Chica Italiano dressed in White! the Saga Begins!!! (White Linea) Update: Now Sold ! Sunilrj Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 294 10th June 2012 07:24
Grande Punto, Red Emotion Pack Multijet Diesel 9000 km - 4 months - Saga continues SamtheLeo Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 54 12th February 2010 21:30
Honda Recalls 182,756 Civics Over Wheel-Bearing Leak Ashutosh The International Automotive Scene 11 18th September 2007 11:16


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 12:10.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks