Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 21st March 2011, 21:25   #1771
BHPian

Default Re: Swift Diesel, Saga continues. The DIESEL experience!Part II 50k kms Update Page 1

FE for last tank full to tank full: 19.6 (530 km highway, 160 km city, 90% A/C)
DieselLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2011, 09:23   #1772
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Swift Diesel, Saga continues. The DIESEL experience!Part II 50k kms Update Page 1

Good to hear that you managed to squeeze 19.6 kmpl. I had a similar problem. I had to replace the front disc brakes at 15kms. Since it was under warranty, I got it replaced for free. But new discs at 15kms? That's really strange.
naveen.raju is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2011, 09:49   #1773
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
Good to hear that you managed to squeeze 19.6 kmpl. I had a similar problem. I had to replace the front disc brakes at 15kms. Since it was under warranty, I got it replaced for free. But new discs at 15kms? That's really strange.
Discs are not replaced. They cleaned the brake pads and charged 400/- as brake overhaul. They (Indus) did the same at 20k service also claiming that brake pads are dirty and braking is not good. I was confused and didn't argue.
Old 22nd March 2011, 10:08   #1774
Team-BHP Support

What tyre size are you running in your car @DieselLover?
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2011, 10:15   #1775
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
What tyre size are you running in your car @DieselLover?
185/70/R14 Bridgestone Turanza ER60 on stock steel rims.
Old 22nd March 2011, 10:23   #1776
Team-BHP Support

For city try 32F and 30R and see how it feels. Highways i would still suggest keeping 34/32 to take care of those nasty potholes.
Old 22nd March 2011, 10:29   #1777
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
For city try 32F and 30R and see how it feels. Highways i would still suggest keeping 34/32 to take care of those nasty potholes.
Thanks Jaggu. My drive is a mix of 70% highway and 30% city. I normally maintain 34/32 throughout and it feels very much comfortable. I also run at 32/30 if my parents are travelling with me.

What worries now is
1. Do we need to go for brake overhaul every 5k ?? That is what Indus is suggesting and I am really confused.
2. Struts overhaul and bush replacement at 25k. They says it happens at 25-30k if the car is extensively driven over bad roads (which I did).
Old 22nd March 2011, 10:51   #1778
Team-BHP Support

1) Unless you drive in heavy rains, muck etc not required
2) Again depends on usage, if really rough use then yes. My car i had done the strut overhaul at 40k kms since my running was in BLR roads and 4 lane highways, which are better off.
Old 22nd March 2011, 10:53   #1779
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselLover View Post
What worries now is
1. Do we need to go for brake overhaul every 5k ?? That is what Indus is suggesting and I am really confused.
2. Struts overhaul and bush replacement at 25k. They says it happens at 25-30k if the car is extensively driven over bad roads (which I did).
1. Brake overhaul is nothing but brakes cleaning and sandpapering. I do not think it is required every 5 K. I do it once every 20k or longer as and when the bite on the brakes reduces. typically I do it only on the front disc brakes.

2. Struts overhaul and bush replacement - Not done so far and I have travelled 73K kms and some of them on really bad roads. Struts on Swift D need no servicing or overhaul as they are maintenance free till they brake. Again this is my understanding based on what my service advisor has told me. please reconfirm from your SA what exactly he means by Strut overhaul.
DieselFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2011, 11:21   #1780
BHPian

Thanks Jaggu. I did drive in heavy rain and mud before 20k service and the overhaul at 20k may be justified. But between 20k and 25k very little driving in wet conditions and I think the overhaul was not at all necessary. As for strut overhaul, yes the car has taken some punishment recently with lot of high speed driving over bad roads and some offroading as well

@Dieselfan
1. Yes they do only brakes cleaning and sandpapering and charge 400/- as "Brake overhaul". Confirmed with SA

2. Not sure about it. May be Jaggu can confirm. Cost of the bush is 550/- and they charge 400/- as labour cost which is given in the bill as "struts o/h"
Old 22nd March 2011, 13:23   #1781
Senior - BHPian

You dont need to do the brake overhaul every 5k. I have clocked 20k and havent done. As dieselfan had mentioned, try doing it once you are not confident of the brakes. Also, front brakes would be enough and occasionally the rear drums.

Strut overhaul would be ideal after 30k, also with the bush replacement. Only if you drive through really bad roads you would need the replacement. But you will get to feel it when it needs to be changed. In this, the strut assembly will be removed and the spring will have to separated from the assembly. The spring will be compressed and new dampers, insulation will be added. Finally grease will be applied and everything will be sealed back. This is general procedure but no idea what these guys will do.
Old 22nd March 2011, 13:41   #1782
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
That can't be good - IIRC it is a CG grade oil.
Any Issues using this Oil?
anshurao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2011, 15:05   #1783
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
You dont need to do the brake overhaul every 5k. I have clocked 20k and havent done. As dieselfan had mentioned, try doing it once you are not confident of the brakes. Also, front brakes would be enough and occasionally the rear drums.

Strut overhaul would be ideal after 30k, also with the bush replacement. Only if you drive through really bad roads you would need the replacement. But you will get to feel it when it needs to be changed. In this, the strut assembly will be removed and the spring will have to separated from the assembly. The spring will be compressed and new dampers, insulation will be added. Finally grease will be applied and everything will be sealed back. This is general procedure but no idea what these guys will do.
Thanks Naveen. I think Indus was taking me for a ride
But bush replacement was worth it as the car feels very smooth and comfortable now. Ride was very bouncy recently even when tyre pressure was maintained at 32/30.

Last edited by DieselLover : 22nd March 2011 at 15:29. Reason: spell check
Old 22nd March 2011, 15:44   #1784
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselLover View Post
Thanks Naveen. I think Indus was taking me for a ride
But bush replacement was worth it as the car feels very smooth and comfortable now. Ride was very bouncy recently even when tyre pressure was maintained at 32/30.
Bush replacement might be necessary as our roads are pretty bad. I started to feel the bottom of my car recently specially since it's riding on low profile tires. I need to check with the shocks the next time.
I maintain 30/30 pressure (nitrogen) on my ride. It lasts really long and get it filled for free. So sticking to nitrogen.

Regular wheel alignment and balancing will keep the car's legs planted. I make sure that this is done every 5k.
Old 22nd March 2011, 15:58   #1785
BHPian

What tyre size are you using @Naveen? I filled nitrogen once but didn't feel any difference in ride. It lasts long though. Agree with you on the WA/WB part. I too get it done every 5k.
A bit OT, SA at indus is suggeting to use Synthetic oil next time. As it costs almost twice as compared to regular oil, I am sceptical. Is it worth it?