Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 11th June 2011, 11:15   #1951
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju
After office, started my car and saw few warning lights on. Went straight to the service center. On seeing this they said you have to change the battery. Dont know what the MASS guys did last week during the 25k service? Had serviced my car and now my car's battery died. Went to service center and they had nothing to say. Asked for a service battery for the weekend since I'm planning a outstation trip tomo. After 15 min they come saying they do not have the stock. Asked for the new battery and they quoted 10k. Immediately called an accessories shop and they said they would give it for 7.3k. Said bye and went to the shop and got a new battery. I got SF Super Sonic DIN65 with 2 year free replacement.

BTW, my car clocked 23705kms and its been 2.4 years old.
My car battery (oem) died in 3 years somewhat around the same kilometers clocked. But one thing that looks fishy is the battery dying as soon as you got it back from service.

There is a reason for my suspision. I had given my Maruti Alto (now sold) for service at Bimal - Bangalore, after I got the car back, I got my first tyre puncture (after almost 2 years of purchase). When I took my spare tyre out I was shocked to see a wornout bald tyre in my boot!! All the tyres had proper threads, where as this one was completely flat, something that is ready to be discarded!! Someone from the service had switched my spare tyre!!! After fighting with them and escalating to Maruti I got a new spare tyre!!

I hope you still have your old battery warranty card. Please check the SN on the battery and the warranty card to make sure they haven't switched your battery, if you already haven't done that.

I am not saying that they have done that , but you will never know. I have started documenting the SNs or the battery, tyres and all the stuff that can be replaced from another car before giving my car for service.
Pri2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2011, 11:42   #1952
BHPian

Default Re: Swift Diesel, Saga continues. The DIESEL experience!Part II 50k kms Update Page 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gill View Post
I will post the full sheet once I am home. Another thing I have noticed, most of the times the shoulder of the tyres use be darker then the rest of the tyres. Same thing was noticed in the rear tyres as well.
Shoulders darker means over inflation where the contact patch is only the center and the sides/shoulders dont touch the road, hence remain dark whereas the contact patch is lighter due to dust contact from road.

What was the tire pressure that you used to maintain?
Even with a high tire pressure, I still cant fathom this condition unless and untill someone has been doing donuts in the car of smoking them from signal to signal which I know you have mentioned is not the case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pri2 View Post
I hope you still have your old battery warranty card. Please check the SN on the battery and the warranty card to make sure they haven't switched your battery, if you already haven't done that.

I am not saying that they have done that , but you will never know. I have started documenting the SNs or the battery, tyres and all the stuff that can be replaced from another car before giving my car for service.
Don't they mention the Battery S/N number and brand on the job card? They do it here at the MASS that I go to but its a different thing I have never checked the Battery S/N with the one on the jobcard when I have taken delivery post service. Need to do that going forward.

My dzire vdi (completely stock) ran 40K in 2.5 yrs after which the battery went kaput.

Last edited by f1fan : 11th June 2011 at 11:54.
f1fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2011, 11:44   #1953
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Swift Diesel, Saga continues. The DIESEL experience!Part II 50k kms Update Page 1

If the front toe setting is wrong then edges will wear (darker). Also a low air pressure, when this tyre is rotated to the rear, it will continue to wear even which retains the darkness.
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2011, 11:54   #1954
BHPian

Pri,
My friend had a similar experiace with MASS. His spare tyre was switched by MASS but he was smart enough to note down all serial numbers and caught them before taking delivery of the car. They issued an apology and offered him 2 free services to prevent it from getting escalated to Maruti.

Naveen,
This incident happened 2 yrs back at the same service station we were both talking about.
DieselLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2011, 23:46   #1955
BHPian

So finally that drain the diesel water filter light came for 4-5 times in last 3-4 days. and fortunately Amaron dealer called me the morning that DIN74 has just arrived in stock.
After Hard bargain manged the new battery for 8300/- with 2.5+2.5 warranty.
And Car Crank just like new.
nisarg86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2011, 23:58   #1956
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
So finally that drain the diesel water filter light came for 4-5 times in last 3-4 days.
Amazing, isn't it!

They should add it to the manual.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2011, 00:04   #1957
BHPian

^^ yup. They should have. and when i went to MASS to clear the code after fitting the new battery. Mech. said saar there should be water in diesel filter. I said Yea right. You just clear the codes man. because i have just changed the Diesel Filter 1000 Kms ago at 40K service interval. He then instantly said saar you are right. There were few swifts came with Diesel Filter Light ON and it was battery issue.
nisarg86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2011, 08:56   #1958
BHPian

In mine the water in diesel filter light came within 24 hours after replacing the filter. So, I knew that it's the battery. Already there was problems like longer cranking time.
So, fixed a 66DIN Amaron for 6.3K after exchanging the old battery.

The battery dealer sells all kind of battery. I asked for Amaron and it was in stock. After fixing the battery he told me " sir, you choose the right battery. people normally ask for Exide and we also sell them, the profit margin is also higher with Exide. But it is not the same quality as it was 10 years ago. For Amaron, you don't have to go to any service center within the life period if you check the water level once in a while and your car charging system is OK.It is peace of mind for both the buyer and seller !! "

He also checked my alternator with the Bosch battery and alternator testing tool. It is fine.
archat68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2011, 14:18   #1959
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nisarg86 View Post
... saar you are right. There were few swifts came with Diesel Filter Light ON and it was battery issue.
If I had known that before the event, it would have saved me the additional cost of telling them to drain the filter at a service, and, just a few days later, the embarrassment of being unable to restart the car in the middle lane of the Tidel Park OMR junction <Blush>

Of course, MSM didn't tell me, "this means your battery is dying." Actually, I wonder if I would have believed them?
Thad E Ginathom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2011, 14:38   #1960
BHPian

Guys,
I am back with a couple of queries (Sorry Jaggu for hijacking your thread again). This thread is a bible for Swift diesel queries:

1. It has been raining cats and dogs in Mumbai from Friday night and Saturday evening when I drove the car, the "Water in the fuel filter" sign lit up for some time. It went off on its own. It has never happened earlier and hasn't happened today either ( have driven approx 80Kms after the light incident)
Now I do know that the same sign can be also bcos of a weak battery but I had changed my battery a month back when the crank was longer ( and when checked, the battery was weak) and hence wondering whether this might be a true case of water in filter. Actually I had changed the fuel filter a month back during my 40K service. Can it be possible that there is water in a new fuel filter that has gone 2K Kms? Also is it a DIY to have that drained or do I have to go to MASS again.

2. During my 40K service, I changed the oil to Mobil Delvac Super 1300 which is API-CG4. Couldn't get Delvac MX at that time, hence went for this. I now have a one liter bottle of that left. During my next service, can I buy two liters of Mobile Delvac MX and mix both of these? Would there be any issue by mixing 2Litre Delvac MX ( API-CI4 I believe) + 1Litre Delvac Super 1300 (API-CG4)?

Last edited by f1fan : 13th June 2011 at 14:41.
Old 13th June 2011, 14:42   #1961
Team-BHP Support

1) If battery is fine, do drain the fuel filter.

2) Ideally dont mix the oils, its hardly 120 bucks worth of saving. But in an non ideal situation you can mix without issues.
Jaggu is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2011, 14:54   #1962
Team-BHP Support

If I were to drain out the old coolant and put in new one, what is the ideal ratio of coolant:water ? Also, how much coolant would be required ?

Any good gear oil supplement advised ? I have used whatever MASS used to put so far, but was wondering if there was a better choice. Since this change is done only once in 20k kms, I generally go for an additive.

Last edited by Eddy : 13th June 2011 at 14:55.
Eddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2011, 14:56   #1963
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
1) If battery is fine, do drain the fuel filter.
Is it a DIY or would it warrant a visit to a nearby MASS?
Old 13th June 2011, 15:14   #1964
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1fan View Post
Is it a DIY or would it warrant a visit to a nearby MASS?
Ideally do it from MASS, DIY possible if you have tools and knowledge. Still not recommended.
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2011, 16:18   #1965
BHPian

Helo Jaggu-I need your guidance here..
My SWIFT LDi's engine has been overhauled after the hydrolock in December at 38K kms. I've covered 7k kms. From the day 1 I got the vehicle back from MSM service station after the overhaul, the vehicle seems to have some issues in the transmission. The vehicle didn respond while shifting to 2nd gear at 20KMPH and they corrected it and often such issues spring up.They said after 5k KMs it would be fine and am mostly on weekend long drives. Did 4500kms through long drives in a month and the mileage was inconsistent 15.1KMPL to 19.3KMPL tankful measures in almost the same pumps.
While moving from 70-100KMPH the vehicle feels like its running on gravel and the vibration seeps into the cabin, ORVMS, dashboard etc and it takes a long time to touch 100 and struggles to 140KMPH.I once touched 170KMPH after pinning the throttle and the steering vibrated so much after 130kmph.In the long drives I do between 90-120kmph as the average and the extreme figures quoted are just to check how the engine responded.Wheel alignment and balancing is checked again and everything is fine. Now what should be the problem here since MSM returns the vehicle everytime saying that using their digital gadgetory they find that ALL IS OK.Until it hit the puddle at 38K KM my engine was awesome easily touching 165KMPH when floored and for 90-120KMPH it used to return 21KMPL consistently irrespective of the fuel from various pumps. Is there a chance to restore this car to its former glory
JEHU is offline   Reply With Quote