Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 12th October 2012, 22:32   #2416
BHPian

My Vdi crossed 30k KM mark today. The estimate I got from BRD service,Tcr is Rs3500.00 including wheel alignment & balance, brake reconditioning etc. When i enquired about EGR cleaning, they gave an estimate of Rs1500.00 for that. So total of Rs4500.00 for the 30k service. How is it guys. Hope they are not overcharging.
ontheroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2012, 00:50   #2417
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Swift Diesel, Saga continues. The DIESEL experience! Part II 60k kms Update Page

Seems to be ok pricing, if you want to cut down the bill a bit you can try doing the alignment and balancing outside.
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2012, 07:24   #2418
BHPian

Default Re: 60000km service

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshguy View Post
Saw some post talking about EGR what is that?
The Multijet engine fitted in diesel Swift has a cooled exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) system. The basic function of EGR is to reduce NOx emissions by recirculating small amounts of cooled exhaust gas into the engine's air intake system when required.

The EGR Valve has an exhaust passage into it, and an intake passage from it. The valve is controlled by an electronic actuator. This electronic actuator is in turn controlled by the engineís ECU (electronic control unit or on-board computer). Depending on parameters like engine RPM, coolant temperature, etc., the ECU sends commands to the electronic actuator to open (to varying degrees) at appropriate times, allowing exhaust gas to enter the intake system and reduce the oxygen content of the intake air.

When my Swift VDI had 19,000 km on the odometer, I noticed that :
1) The SVS light was not going off after 4 seconds of turning on the ignition
2) The MIL light was not going off after starting the engine
3) There was no noticeable change in the car's performance

I took the car to Maruti Service where they connected their diagnostic device (called Tech-2) to my carís ECU and found DTC (Diagnostic Trouble Code) No. P0400, i.e., problem with EGR flow. According to the Swift workshop manual, DTC No. P0400 is detected if one of the following conditions is satisfied :
1) Difference between measured MAF (mass air flow) and reference MAF is out of specified range
2) EGR valve is stuck open

Maruti Service technician cancelled the DTC with Tech-2 and the warning lights (both SVS and MIL) returned to their normal states without carrying out any repairs to the engine. Thereafter, I used the car for over one month without any problem.

Again, about a month later, the SVS and MIL lights warned me of some malfunction. Again, there was no noticeable change in the car's performance, i.e., there were no symptoms of any problem except the warning lights. I took the car to Maruti Service and they again found DTC No. P0400, i.e., problem with EGR flow. They correctly diagnosed the root cause of the problem as excessive carbon deposits inside the EGR valve affecting the quantity of recirculated gas injected into the air intake system.

The problem was satisfactorily rectified by dismantling and cleaning the EGR valve.

Recently, with my odo at 45,000 km, I had to get my EGR valve cleaned for the second time.
debuda is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2012, 14:42   #2419
BHPian

Default Re: Swift Diesel, Saga continues. The DIESEL experience! Part II 60k kms Update Page

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
1) It is fine
2) Though Mobil 1 is not a 100% diesel oil, it can be used. Mobil Delvac 1 is the right oil for diesels.
3) Nope oil change stick to manufacturer's schedule
4) Not really, if its done by a MASS it will anyways be in the system.

0W40 will give you better protection at lower temp, sub zero temps which is really not useful in India.
Beg to differ. Mobil1 is a strictly Spark ignition (Petrol) engine oil. Oils suitable for petrols should not be used in Diesel Engines as even though they may meet lubricity requirements, they do not have the detergents to clean the extra residue of diesel combustion nor the base additive to counter acids generated by diesel exhaust. Prolonged use of SI Engine oil will damage a diesel engine.

However Diesel engine oils can be used in petrol engines, with some limitations. Limitations being petrol burns at a much higher temperature and some Diesel Engine oils may evaporate/ burn off the cylinder heads.

Happy Motoring
SR71A is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2012, 21:12   #2420
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR71A View Post
Beg to differ. Mobil1 is a strictly Spark ignition (Petrol) engine oil. Oils suitable for petrols should not be used in Diesel Engines as even though they may meet lubricity requirements, they do not have the detergents to clean the extra residue of diesel combustion nor the base additive to counter acids generated by diesel exhaust. Prolonged use of SI Engine oil will damage a diesel engine.
Welll i did say its not 100% ok, but many diesel cars are running Mobil 1, not Delvac, prescribed by reputed manufacturer. Having said that i do believe Mobil Delvac 1 is the best.
Jaggu is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2012, 10:18   #2421
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Please read the Myths!
http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/...ics/Myths.aspx
SLK is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2012, 11:08   #2422
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLK View Post
Thanks, SLK That Clears my mind.

I've changed to MObil-1 on my Ikon-TDCI and has run about 12K approx. I was worried that if something might be wrong.

Also, when i checked with the service manager recently regarding the oil change he said you can safely go upto 15K and does not require oil change. Hence, I postponed the change to next month.

Cheers
MKP
mkpiyengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2012, 00:15   #2423
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Welll i did say its not 100% ok, but many diesel cars are running Mobil 1, not Delvac, prescribed by reputed manufacturer. Having said that i do believe Mobil Delvac 1 is the best.
Mobil 1 as a brand can be used but the oil spec has to be a compression ignition type having C(x) classification. If Mobil 1 being used is of S(x) Spark iginition type then that will damage a diesel engine.

Quote:
Synthetic motor oils are superior, no doubt, but correct application is important. I wonder how many indian manufactureres will uphold a waranty clamin in case of Mobil1 application during warranty period.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpiyengar View Post
Thanks, SLK That Clears my mind.

I've changed to MObil-1 on my Ikon-TDCI and has run about 12K approx. I was worried that if something might be wrong.

Also, when i checked with the service manager recently regarding the oil change he said you can safely go upto 15K and does not require oil change. Hence, I postponed the change to next month.

Cheers
MKP
Sir,

Kindly see if that Mobil1 is of CI type having a nomenclature starting with C(x). Also drain period of an oil is not only about the oils life, which in case of Mobil1 SI oils is almost indefinite if right filters are used, but also about your filters. With stock filters your drain time will be limited by the filter and not by the quality of oil.. Even though the oil will not have deteriorated, but because of stock filter it will carry sufficient muck to various critical parts, causing damage. Therefore even with Mobil1 you should follow the OEM prsecribed drain time as you have not upgraded to a finer filter.

Regards
SR71A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2012, 01:05   #2424
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Synthetic motor oils are superior, no doubt, but correct application is important. I wonder how many indian manufactureres will uphold a waranty clamin in case of Mobil1 application during warranty period.
Maruti dealer put in for me, its on the bill with VAT. Lately they have been offering Castrol Edge and that's what I'm using in my diesel Ritz and again it runs great. The dealer suggested using extended intervals with Mobil 1 even within warranty period, though I didn't do that.
SLK is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2012, 09:29   #2425
BHPian

Quote:
Maruti dealer put in for me, its on the bill with VAT. Lately they have been offering Castrol Edge and that's what I'm using in my diesel Ritz and again it runs great. The dealer suggested using extended intervals with Mobil 1 even within warranty period, though I didn't do that.
Yeah. Most big MASS in Kolkata suggest Mobil 1 for diesels too. When I asked specifically for Delvac 1 they told that Mobil 1 is all that they have and it is recommended by Maruti .
archat68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2012, 10:41   #2426
BHPian

Quote:
Yep, If the dealer puts it in, its as per his company's policy, in which case they will honour the warranty. But if its a not put by the dealer and is also not a recommended oil, then getting a warranty damage claim is a big headache.

It is routine practice to take oil samples from the sump in case of engine failure investigations, and to analyse service history with particular stress on oil changes, intervals, type & grade used, type of filter etc.

Also in my experience if anything is recommended by the company during warranty then they should give it in writing, especially if the vehicle is in warranty. It is common for service advisers to extol virtues of new things. Kindly check and inform if they have installed a different grade of filters to go along with Mobil 1. Frankly modern cars, swift included do not need much attention other than topping up of fluids. If a longer interval is recommended, I would love to reduce the frequency of my visits to MASS.

Regards
SR71A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2012, 22:00   #2427
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
My Vdi crossed 30k KM mark today. The estimate I got from BRD service,Tcr is Rs3500.00 including wheel alignment & balance, brake reconditioning etc. When i enquired about EGR cleaning, they gave an estimate of Rs1500.00 for that. So total of Rs4500.00 for the 30k service. How is it guys. Hope they are not overcharging.
The estimate you got seems okay. But why do you want to go for EGR cleaning unnecessarily? IMHO, it is best to do this when required (when SVS and MIL lights actually indicate 'EGR Flow' problem).

I have driven my Swift VDI 45,500 km and got my EGR system cleaned twice -- at 19,000 km and at 45,000 km. On both occasions, EGR cleaning was necessitated due to the warning lights. But the important thing to be noted is that on both occasions there was no deterioration in the car's performance even when the warning lights came on. The point I'm trying to make is that there is no need to have the EGR cleaning done before it is due because the ECU will give you warning well in time (well before the defect affects performance) and you can then get it done at your convenience (within a month or two of getting the alarm). As they say, don't fix it if it ain't broke!

My recent EGR system cleaning (including cleaning of intercooler) cost me Rs 1522 (including new gaskets, etc.).
debuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2012, 22:18   #2428
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by debuda

The estimate you got seems okay. But why do you want to go for EGR cleaning unnecessarily? IMHO, it is best to do this................ As they say, don't fix it if it ain't broke!

My recent EGR system cleaning (including cleaning of intercooler) cost me Rs 1522 (including new gaskets, etc.).
I was planning to do it as it is mentioned in service manual that EGR cleaning is to be done at 30k km service. The service advisor also told me that we can skip it if there is no alarm. As you also have the same opinion, i may skip it and do when ever warning lights come or at 40k service. Thanks for your reply.
ontheroad is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2012, 09:48   #2429
BHPian

COmpleted 55k checkup/minor service yesterday. As usual, MASS guys tried to convert this into a full service and gave an estimate of 2.5k.

Had a small argument and finally settled with the below.

ODO: 54250

9 point checkup
Washing and cleaning
Air filter replacement (it was last replaced at 35k)
Intercooler cleaning

Total - 1300 (approx)

Seeing the comparatively less final bill, I did the mistake of asking them to do full interior shampoo wash (worth ~900) to clean the upholstery.

End result - 1300 + 900 = 2200/- and the interior cleaning was pathetic
DieselLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2012, 20:45   #2430
Senior - BHPian

My Ritz Vdi need to go for its 40k Service this month, so wanted to clarify a couple of things
1. Is it needed to get the EGR cleaned. I always change the engine oil after every 5k kms .
2. Engine flush before oil changes?

Im kinda confused with the same so wanted to get it confirmed .
Also please suggested if any other things needs to be done or checked .

My suspension also need to checked as the ride has become really harsh and also there is a thud sound which come if i go over any broken road or anything of that kind,so is there any thing which i have to ask the SA to check specially .
Please advise.

Btw mine is 2.5 years old car .

Cheers
Schoudhury is offline   Reply With Quote