Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 4th December 2012, 22:14   #2476
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru
Guys,

Please have a look at 40K service bill for our VDi at Mandovi, JP Nagar and let me know have i been taken for a ride? If so, would like to take it up with the higher authorities.

Unnecessary items:

Engine flush
Intercooler cleaning
Brake bleeding unless you had specified (that also led to the cost of the brake fluid).
EGR valve cleaning is recommended, but very expensive as listed here.

Edit: Could you tell me what's the total bill, I could not find it in the image. Ideally it should be 7K barring the brake pads. (Brake pad prices are ok too).

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 4th December 2012 at 22:18.
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2012, 22:25   #2477
BHPian

Question Re: VDi 40K Service?

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Unnecessary items:

Engine flush
Intercooler cleaning
Brake bleeding unless you had specified (that also led to the cost of the brake fluid).
EGR valve cleaning is recommended, but very expensive as listed here.

Edit: Could you tell me what's the total bill, I could not find it in the image. Ideally it should be 7K barring the brake pads. (Brake pad prices are ok too).
We did not ask for brake bleeding and had told him not to do the EGR explicitly. Even then, he went ahead n did the same. Pl. find the total bill below.
Attached Thumbnails
Swift Diesel, Saga continues. The DIESEL experience! Part II 72k kms Update Page 182. Now SOLD!-swift-40k-service-total.jpg  

Last edited by JMaruru : 4th December 2012 at 22:36.
JMaruru is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2012, 23:28   #2478
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

We did not ask for brake bleeding and had told him not to do the EGR explicitly. Even then, he went ahead n did the same. Pl. find the total bill below.
The total bill is overshot by 1.5-2K, due to the reasons I mentioned. Regular services for 10, 30, 50, 70K etc should be 3.5-4K & every 20, 40, 60, 80K etc should be in the 6.5-7K range.
swiftnfurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2012, 15:22   #2479
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Swift Diesel, Saga continues. The DIESEL experience! Part II 60k kms Update Page

I got the 40k service done for my Ritz Vdi last week and went for 3k kms drive from blore to bbsr . I gave a car for service few days before I start the trip just to make sure that I drive the car around for few days and make sure that the service was done properly .

All looked fine, but I faced a strange issue , while I was going @ speeds around 100 + suddenly I was losing power and even after pressing the gas pedal completely the rpm meter kept on coming down. But it used to be back to normal the moment i took off my foot of the accelerator and pressed it again .
I also noticed it was happening in 3 and 5 gears specially .
Not sure what the issue was and i had around 2.5k km more to drive, took the car to a MASS in Nellore to get the car checked .
They immediately took the car for a test drive and as usual they didn't face any issues, they checked the air filter and also scanned for any errors, but there were no issues as such and gave me green signal to continue with the trip.
I faced the same issue a couple of times and every-time taking the foot of the accelerator would fix the issue .
Also before the trip , i filled in diesel from regular pump .
Could anyone please advise know what could be the issue here and what needs to checked .

Cheers
Schoudhury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2012, 16:51   #2480
BHPian

Default Re: Swift Diesel, Saga continues. The DIESEL experience! Part II 60k kms Update Page

I had this same issue some days back and took the car to the MASS. At first i was scared thinking that the turbo gave up, But everything looked fine. Finally found out it was because of the adulterated fuel that i filled up in a pump on my way back from a trip.

In your case you had mentioned that you had filled in the regular pump. So no idea of what's the problem.

But i would suggest you to tank up in COCO pump and see if you are facing the same problem.
BulZire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2012, 19:12   #2481
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schoudhury View Post
I got the 40k service done for my Ritz Vdi last week and went for 3k kms drive from blore to bbsr . I gave a car for service few days before I start the trip just to make sure that I drive the car around for few days and make sure that the service was done properly .

All looked fine, but I faced a strange issue , while I was going @ speeds around 100 + suddenly I was losing power and even after pressing the gas pedal completely the rpm meter kept on coming down. But it used to be back to normal the moment i took off my foot of the accelerator and pressed it again .
I also noticed it was happening in 3 and 5 gears specially .
Not sure what the issue was and i had around 2.5k km more to drive, took the car to a MASS in Nellore to get the car checked .
They immediately took the car for a test drive and as usual they didn't face any issues, they checked the air filter and also scanned for any errors, but there were no issues as such and gave me green signal to continue with the trip.
I faced the same issue a couple of times and every-time taking the foot of the accelerator would fix the issue .
Also before the trip , i filled in diesel from regular pump .
Could anyone please advise know what could be the issue here and what needs to checked .

Cheers
Try one full tank of the power or whatever that addititive filled diesel is called and if the problem is associated with adulterated diesel, I ll vanish.
humyum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2012, 19:12   #2482
Team-BHP Support

Another thing you can try is, while the engine is OFF, push the acc pedal all the way down couple of times. Sometimes this cleans up the sensor terminal, if it has any minor oxidation at terminal. Strangely i had once faced this issue long time back, did this pedal push and it never recurred.

Disclaimer: This is as good as a wild guess resolution, but maybe worth a try. Also you might know if a floor mat is getting stuck at the pedal
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2012, 20:37   #2483
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BulZire View Post
I had this same issue some days back and took the car to the MASS. At first i was scared thinking that the turbo gave up, But everything looked fine. Finally found out it was because of the adulterated fuel that i filled up in a pump on my way back from a trip.

In your case you had mentioned that you had filled in the regular pump. So no idea of what's the problem.

But i would suggest you to tank up in COCO pump and see if you are facing the same problem.
Ya i also thought it could be an issue with the adulterated fuel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
Try one full tank of the power or whatever that addititive filled diesel is called and if the problem is associated with adulterated diesel, I ll vanish.
Are you referring non-regular diesel or something like system D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Another thing you can try is, while the engine is OFF, push the acc pedal all the way down couple of times. Sometimes this cleans up the sensor terminal, if it has any minor oxidation at terminal. Strangely i had once faced this issue long time back, did this pedal push and it never recurred.
Ya i had a talk with my regular SA and he also thought could be an issue with some sensor.

Quote:
Disclaimer: This is as good as a wild guess resolution, but maybe worth a try. Also you might know if a floor mat is getting stuck at the pedal
Jaggu Sir, you wont believe that was the first thing i checked when i stopped my car

One more thing, after the 40k service the car doesn't feel like its pulling smoothly untill and unless the turbo kicks in , which was not the case earlier .

The car used to move smoothly without any accelerator input in 1st and 2nd gears, but now until and unless the accelerator is pressed properly the car doesn't feel like its moving , any pointers on that .

Cheers.
Old 5th December 2012, 20:46   #2484
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ya i also thought it could be an issue with the adulterated fuel.

Are you referring non-regular diesel or something like system D

Ya i had a talk with my regular SA and he also thought could be an issue with some sensor.

Jaggu Sir, you wont believe that was the first thing i checked when i stopped my car

One more thing, after the 40k service the car doesn't feel like its pulling smoothly untill and unless the turbo kicks in , which was not the case earlier .

The car used to move smoothly without any accelerator input in 1st and 2nd gears, but now until and unless the accelerator is pressed properly the car doesn't feel like its moving , any pointers on that .

Cheers.
I am referring to Extra Premium/Extra mile or Power ( Forgot the actual name) diesel you get. System D would be fine too.

Secondly, After the service, don't you feel your car has become more rev friendly ? Yes after every oil change, even I feel the low end is gone as there is absolutely no push below 2 thousand rpm, but it returns back to normal in 1500 km or so in my case always.

Also I have always observed that the turbo kick is less vicious after a service. This I have attributed to the fact that the engine is so rev friendly that it stays in the 2 k to 3.2 k rpm band for a shorter time as it revs away to 4 k faster, thus giving a psychological feeling of the turbo kick being less vicious.

My car has done around 5 k after the service and the rev friendlyness has reduced and the turbo kick seems vicious again with the engine feeling strained above 3.5 k.

Also, during a service the ECU is reset as they remove the battery terminals to clean it and all that. That's why even the clock resets along with the Stereo system settings. Let it adjust again to your driving style.
humyum is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2012, 20:58   #2485
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am referring to Extra Premium/Extra mile or Power ( Forgot the actual name) diesel you get. System D would be fine too.
Ok will try Extra-Premium for the next refuel and check .

Quote:
Secondly, After the service, don't you feel your car has become more rev friendly ? Yes after every oil change, even I feel the low end is gone as there is absolutely no push below 2 thousand rpm, but it returns back to normal in 1500 km or so in my case always.

Also I have always observed that the turbo kick is less vicious after a service. This I have attributed to the fact that the engine is so rev friendly that it stays in the 2 k to 3.2 k rpm band for a shorter time as it revs away to 4 k faster, thus giving a psychological feeling of the turbo kick being less vicious.

My car has done around 5 k after the service and the rev friendlyness has reduced and the turbo kick seems vicious again with the engine feeling strained above 3.5 k.

Also, during a service the ECU is reset as they remove the battery terminals to clean it and all that. That's why even the clock resets along with the Stereo system settings. Let it adjust again to your driving style.
Ya true, its revs better now . But i never felt like this earlier after any of the service.
But the ECU reset could be a cause for the same .
Also after last weeks service i have already covered around 3500 kms .

Will observe it for few days and then get it checked .
The wind-shield and the left side fog lamp got cracked due to stone hits on the highways, need to get those also changed

Cheers
Old 5th December 2012, 21:13   #2486
BHPian

Unhappy Re: Swift Diesel, Saga continues. The DIESEL experience! Part II 60k kms Update Page

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
The total bill is overshot by 1.5-2K, due to the reasons I mentioned. Regular services for 10, 30, 50, 70K etc should be 3.5-4K & every 20, 40, 60, 80K etc should be in the 6.5-7K range.
I spoke to the Manager @ Mandovi, JP Nagar. He tried to wiggle off, saying it is must and necessary items on 40K service. According to him 8K is the norm for 40K service. In the end, he said he will provide some discounts on the next service. I would not be opting for the same SA next time.
JMaruru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2012, 21:21   #2487
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

I spoke to the Manager @ Mandovi, JP Nagar. He tried to wiggle off, saying it is must and necessary items on 40K service. According to him 8K is the norm for 40K service. In the end, he said he will provide some discounts on the next service. I would not be opting for the same SA next time.
The service manual has items which needs to be changed/replaced for every service. Please go thru & make urself acquainted. EGR cleaning is mentioned, but these guys are atrociously expensive.

Also its a mandate that whatever jobs are supposed to be done, the SA has to mention on the job card, get your signature & give you a copy before the car is taken in for service. Once you sign, you don't have the right to argument. So please keep it in your mind next time. If they mention something which you don't want, get them to strike out & then only you should sign the copies.

EDIT: Merely changing SA may not work, they all will be pre-wired to extract the max out of the customer. Guess their incentives are also based on the bills. The proper solution is to keep an eye on what they do & write on the job card.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 5th December 2012 at 21:25.
swiftnfurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2012, 10:12   #2488
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Airfilter replacement was done? which is similar to below quoted, so give it sometime.

Quote:
Quote:
Ok will try Extra-Premium for the next refuel and check
My suggestion stick to normal IOC diesel from a reputed pump station. Will give you best of engine refinement and FE. If you really want to clean up try italian tune up once the engine is warmed up OR just go for a long run of about 100 kms.
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2012, 10:40   #2489
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
If you really want to clean up try italian tune up once the engine is warmed up OR just go for a long run of about 100 kms.
Try this: Run it @3000 rpm for 30 seconds once a week. Pretty easy- somehting like run in 2nd instead of 4th. You dont even need to redline it.

This is recommended by Ford, and it helps to keep things steady & clean & flowing.
condor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2012, 11:21   #2490
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Airfilter replacement was done? which is similar to below quoted, so give it sometime.
Jaggu Sir. yes the airfilter was changed, but i have already driven around 3.5k after the services, so dont you think it should have been back to normal.So when you says " give it sometime" do you mean some more days or dirivng kms .

Quote:
My suggestion stick to normal IOC diesel from a reputed pump station. Will give you best of engine refinement and FE. If you really want to clean up try italian tune up once the engine is warmed up OR just go for a long run of about 100 kms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Try this: Run it @3000 rpm for 30 seconds once a week. Pretty easy- somehting like run in 2nd instead of 4th. You dont even need to redline it.

This is recommended by Ford, and it helps to keep things steady & clean & flowing.
Okies will try that .

Cheers