Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 9th December 2012, 17:57   #2506
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Swift Diesel, Saga continues. The DIESEL experience! Part II 60k kms Update Page

Mine is a Dzire ZDI, April 2011 - Currently @ 42600 Kms.
Can some one tell me the average age of the brake pads? I am yet to change the brake pads but when I checked with the MASS during my 40K servicing they said brake pads should be changed every 20K Kms for Swift/Dzire. I didn't allow him to change because I am not having any braking issues. Any symptoms that I should look for? Planning for a long drive in couple of weeks and hence want to make sure everything is in place.
arun_josie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2012, 19:48   #2507
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
Can some one tell me the average age of the brake pads?
The average age as per the regular M.A.S.S. that I go to is between 30k to 40k wherein 40k is the upper limit for 9 out of 10 of his customers.

He'd advised me to get them replaced at 40k service but then advised against it when he checked the brake pads, still having some 10k kms of life more.

Lastly, a lot would depend on one's driving style but since you asked about the average life I thought I should share what he said.

Last edited by fine69 : 9th December 2012 at 19:51.
fine69 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2012, 20:51   #2508
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Swift Diesel, Saga continues. The DIESEL experience! Part II 60k kms Update Page

Quote:
Can some one tell me the average age of the brake pads? I am yet to change the brake pads but when I checked with the MASS during my 40K servicing they said brake pads should be changed every 20K Kms for Swift/Dzire. I didn't allow him to change because I am not having any braking issues. Any symptoms that I should look for? Planning for a long drive in couple of weeks and hence want to make sure everything is in place.
Its better to change it every 20000kms (preventive maintenance) to avoid scratching the disc,if disc gets scratched then both disc and pad have to be changed which would cost 7k.

My swift has run 63000 till date and i have changed brake pad yesterday though it had another 10k life.It became hard and a stone got between disc and pad so SA advised me to do so.any way it had run 20k kms so i though i was right time.ITs the question of your safety and cost just 1500 so why take risk.
joshguy is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2012, 20:54   #2509
Team-BHP Support

I agree on the safety and preventive maintenance bit, but surely 20,000 is an overkill.
Eddy is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2012, 23:17   #2510
Senior - BHPian

Thanks guys! I will take my car to MASS some time this week and will check the condition of the brake pads. This time I will ask my regular SA to check. Last time he was not available.
Old 12th December 2012, 12:39   #2511
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks guys! I will take my car to MASS some time this week and will check the condition of the brake pads. This time I will ask my regular SA to check. Last time he was not available.
I Checked for the brake pads with my regular SA - Bimal(MASS), he said that my current brake pads can go for another 1000Kms. Planning to change it this weekend.

I would like to get fellow team-bhpians view on the below issue as well. Posting this here as I have seen similar issues discussed on this thread regarding Swift/Dzire,

Front Right

Attachment 1026207

Front Left

Attachment 1026206

Rear Left

Attachment 1026208

Rear Right

Attachment 1026209

Is this something to do with uneven wear&tear or is it normal? The last strip is going out faster than the middles ones. I checked with Bimal and they say this is normal for the following reasons,

1) Already these tyres are close to 43K Kms.
2) All tyres have almost worn out equally.
3) If there is an issue then these tyres wouldn't have lasted even 25-30K.
4) By design the edges of these tyres have less depth compared to the middle ones, hence they look to worn out faster. There is no need to worry of any alignment/camber issues.
5) Also, by design the angle of these tyres are placed slightly towards inwards.(I am not sure if this applies only to the front tyres or all)

I have seen some of you have rectified similar issue outside MASS(Basha Wheel Alignment - Bangalore). The last one was mtnrajdeep,
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ml#post2976623

Considering that all these tyres have done 43K(As per Bimal SA I can use these tyres for another 10K), can I ignore this(OR) is it required to rectify this issue to avoid any other issues related to this?

Edit: Not Sure why the pics are not coming up.

Last edited by arun_josie : 12th December 2012 at 12:45.
Old 12th December 2012, 13:54   #2512
Senior - BHPian

Pics for the above post,(posted again because it didn't display in the previous post)

Front Right

Swift Diesel, Saga continues. The DIESEL experience! Part II 72k kms Update Page 182. Now SOLD!-fr.jpg

Front Left

Swift Diesel, Saga continues. The DIESEL experience! Part II 72k kms Update Page 182. Now SOLD!-fl.jpg

Rear Left

Swift Diesel, Saga continues. The DIESEL experience! Part II 72k kms Update Page 182. Now SOLD!-rl.jpg

Rear Right

Swift Diesel, Saga continues. The DIESEL experience! Part II 72k kms Update Page 182. Now SOLD!-rr.jpg

Last edited by arun_josie : 12th December 2012 at 13:55.
Old 12th December 2012, 16:07   #2513
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Can some one tell me the average age of the brake pads?
There is no thumb rule regarding this, one has to remove the pads and see if they are fine. Check the wear indicator as to how much life is left. My car the pad was changes at last service which is closer to 60k Disc was also fine, but i just went ahead and replaced it also since they were some 4k each. Typically a set of pad should last between 20-40k depending on usage.

Quote:
I would like to get fellow team-bhpians view on the below issue as well. Posting this here as I have seen similar issues discussed on this thread regarding Swift/Dzire,
=============
Considering that all these tyres have done 43K(As per Bimal SA I can use these tyres for another 10K), can I ignore this(OR) is it required to rectify this issue to avoid any other issues related to this?

Edit: Not Sure why the pics are not coming up.
On the other hand i replaced tyres at 37k kms, they had life but were becoming hard and that was resulting in bad ride. The second set Yoko A drive should last till 70-75k kms i guess. My experience 40-50k is a very good mileage for tyres and pushing it beyond is not worth it. Safety as well as peace of mind perspective.
Jaggu is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2012, 20:53   #2514
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schoudhury View Post
Today in the morning i noticed one more thing.
The rpm levels are high , @ idle is around 800 which i guess is normal, but earlier in 2nd gear when i used to touch 40kmph the rpm used be around 2k mark but today i noticed it to be around 2.3k mark, same in the same case of the 3rd and 4th gear while touching speeds of 60 and 80 respectively .

Not sure why is this ?

Cheers
Quote:
Guys

Just came back from MASS after getting the car checked and as per them the clutch seems to fine and my SA told me it could be some issue with sensor near the air filter.
So cleaned the air filter and the sensor near the air filter and asked me to drive for a few days and checked.
As per him if there is an issue with sensor,airflow will not be proper which results in higher rpms , not sure how true is that. Does it make sense ?

Anyways have refuelled from IOC coco pump,so will drive for few days and see if there is any change and report accordingly.
Guys,the rpm are still on the higher side even after getting the sensor and other stuff cleaned , not sure what's going on here.
Any pointers , how to go about getting this fixed.
Please advise.
Cheers
Schoudhury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2012, 21:47   #2515
Team-BHP Support

RPM increase while driving can only be attributed to clutch or speedo error. At idle 800 is fine i guess and with ac on it will be near 900.
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2012, 22:20   #2516
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
RPM increase while driving can only be attributed to clutch or speedo error. At idle 800 is fine i guess and with ac on it will be near 900.
Jaggu Sir.
I got the clutch checked @ MASS last time and as per my SA, the clutch seems to be fine for a 40k kms run car.
So that doesn't seems to be issue .

Planning to get the car connected to the SDT and then go for a drive to see if it matches the values of RPM and speedometer, i guess that might help.

If the values in the SDT and in the car matches then could you please suggest what might need to be checked.

Also, not sure why im seeing these issues only after the 40k service.

Please suggest.
Old 13th December 2012, 19:03   #2517
BHPian

Got my clutch replaced at Mandovi Motors JP nagar today. The original clutch lasted about 75k kms. Parts replaced were:

Cover Clutch (swift d) - 1096
Disc Component, Clutch - 1600
Cylinder Assy, Clutch Slave - 2739
Labor - 1650
Total including tax (Parts + Labor)= 8079

The SA provided the old parts back and I am attaching the photos of the parts replaced. While I have no doubts about Cover Clutch and Disc Component. The SA tells me that Cylinder Assy, Clutch Slave is the small part in the photo on the white plastic cover. Taking size into consideration is this small part worth Rs.2739 which is supposed to be Cylinder Assy, Clutch Slave or am I being taken for a ride here?

Please help me on this.....

Name:  P1110963.jpg
Views: 1312
Size:  103.0 KB

Name:  P1110964.jpg
Views: 1285
Size:  95.2 KB

Name:  P1110965.jpg
Views: 1257
Size:  85.1 KB
dreamdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2012, 20:49   #2518
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamdiesel View Post
Got my clutch replaced at Mandovi Motors JP nagar today. The original clutch lasted about 75k kms. Parts replaced were:

Cover Clutch (swift d) - 1096
Disc Component, Clutch - 1600
Cylinder Assy, Clutch Slave - 2739
Labor - 1650
Total including tax (Parts + Labor)= 8079

The SA provided the old parts back and I am attaching the photos of the parts replaced. While I have no doubts about Cover Clutch and Disc Component. The SA tells me that Cylinder Assy, Clutch Slave is the small part in the photo on the white plastic cover. Taking size into consideration is this small part worth Rs.2739 which is supposed to be Cylinder Assy, Clutch Slave or am I being taken for a ride here?
Were you facing any issues with the clutch or the car, because of which you went for the replacement.
The reason why i ask, is because, of late im seeing high rpms in the my car, but my SA says the clutch is fine, so wanted to crosscheck.
Old 13th December 2012, 21:11   #2519
BHPian

Quote:
Were you facing any issues with the clutch or the car, because of which you went for the replacement.
The reason why i ask, is because, of late im seeing high rpms in the my car, but my SA says the clutch is fine, so wanted to crosscheck.
I actually was on my way back from road trip when about 10kms away from the house the gear refused to shift. The gears used to slot after numerous attempts and finally about couple of kms from my house the Clutch pedal had become pretty loose. Just went in without any pressure. Gears used to slot only when the car engine was not running and starting the car in a gear gave jerks and funny noises from the gearbox. I never noticed high rpm or any power loss. I am just glad the clutch did not give up in the middle of no where.
dreamdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2012, 21:19   #2520
Team-BHP Support

Yup those plates sure looked worn out, the prices are MUL price you cant be fleeced by a dealer. These hydrolic parts are lil expensive and to be very honest good to change when you open the box, to avoid the hazle of opening up again.
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote