Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 1st March 2013, 16:55   #2566
BHPian

Default Re: Swift Diesel, Saga continues. The DIESEL experience! Part II 60k kms Update Page

@Ranendra, your issue doesn't look like a turbo failure, rather looks like ECU gone in limp mode. Chances are more becasue you said that your car recently had major service so maybe the service guys didn't reset ECU or even if they have reset it, maybe the ECU didn't sync up well. A reset should fix the issue. If ECU reset doesn't improve the things, than start thinking about turbo and all. Turbo usually costs south of 50K
tbppjpr is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2013, 17:11   #2567
BHPian

Default Re: Swift Diesel, Saga continues. The DIESEL experience! Part II 60k kms Update Page

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranendra View Post
Today while driving down the highway for a 200km trip felt that the engine RPM was suddenly zipping to 3 / 3.5K beyond 2K without any addition in speed or Torque. Below 2K the car works as desired. But if I try to REV hard, the RPM goes up but does not add any punch (torque or speed).

I get my car serviced from Maruti Mohun Motors Kolkata. Called up the service adviser Rakesh Paul. He says it can be a slipping clutch (which is unlikely since it was replaced) or a failing turbo or a wrong firing brake sensor. Not sure why he referred to brake sensor.

No service lights have come up and when i rev hard no black smoke too.

Now my question is whether it is safe to drive the car back another 200kms without causing any damage?

What is the cost of the turbo if it had failed?

Any idea what might have gone wrong.

Came to spend a cool weekend at a seaside resort in WB, but feeling bad about my limping car :(

Gurus, I am looking forward to your inputs.

Thanks
Ranendra
The reason he suggests the brake sensor is that the brakes might be activating about 2k rpm. No idea why but that would explain the vehicle revving but not performing.

The turbo could be because below 1.8 to 2k the turbo does not kick in. Thus driving slower means no risk to the turbo as it is not being used.

The clutch is doubtful, though if te job is it properly done, this is possible.

Look forward to hearing from you once the vehicle is diagnosed
pganapathy is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2013, 19:41   #2568
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Now my question is whether it is safe to drive the car back another 200kms without causing any damage?
I will suggest , check out where is the nearest MASS is and get the car checked ASAP .
I'm sure you would not want to get stuck on the highway along with your family if anything goes wrong .
It better to be safe then sorry.
I'm sure gurus will advise you if it should be ok to drive or not .

Last edited by Schoudhury : 1st March 2013 at 19:42.
Schoudhury is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2013, 23:12   #2569
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have a Ritz Vdi and my car has acted similar more than 2-3 times, but after some time it recovers to its self. Therefore I have never been able to show this issue for service.

My guess has been that, this is some kind of fuel issue which block the fuel due to impurities because I always experience this when I drive the car after say 1 or 2 weeks of parking. It starts fine but after some time or days this happens. I also experienced this once, when I drove at 170+km/h.

Try warming up your car and driving a bit hard for some time, see if it solves.

Disclaimer: This is all guess work.
SLK is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2013, 00:10   #2570
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbppjpr View Post
@Ranendra, your issue doesn't look like a turbo failure, rather looks like ECU gone in limp mode. Chances are more becasue you said that your car recently had major service so maybe the service guys didn't reset ECU or even if they have reset it, maybe the ECU didn't sync up well. A reset should fix the issue. If ECU reset doesn't improve the things, than start thinking about turbo and all. Turbo usually costs south of 50K
Hello,

Thank you for your suggestion and advise.

However dont you think if the ECU goes to limp mode it should switch on the SVS (Service Vehicle Soon) or some other diagnostic indicator on the instrument panel?

Also, i guess after the service I had revved the engine a couple of times on 10 to 12 kms stretches for 1 to 3 mins but never faced this issue. But today after driving the vehicle for approx. 1 hr when i tried to rev it beyond 2K to reach speeds of 120+ kmph this issue suddenly cropped up.

Have fixed up an appointment with the MASS on Monday. Have parked the car cozily in the hotel and am using their transport as much as possible.

Thanks Again.

Ranendra
Ranendra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2013, 00:14   #2571
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pganapathy View Post
The reason he suggests the brake sensor is that the brakes might be activating about 2k rpm. No idea why but that would explain the vehicle revving but not performing.

The turbo could be because below 1.8 to 2k the turbo does not kick in. Thus driving slower means no risk to the turbo as it is not being used.

The clutch is doubtful, though if te job is it properly done, this is possible.

Look forward to hearing from you once the vehicle is diagnosed
Hello

Beyond 1.8 to 2K RPM the phenomenon is not about something pulling back the car, but the engine stopping to push the car to higher speeds.

You feel as if you accidentally pressed the clutch and the car is revving freely. Speed is not lost but on contrary the desired acceleration is not there.

Have fixed up an appointment with the MASS on Monday. Have parked the car cozily in the hotel and am using their transport as much as possible.

Will definitely let everyone know what happened.

Thanks
Ran
Old 2nd March 2013, 00:24   #2572
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schoudhury View Post
I will suggest , check out where is the nearest MASS is and get the car checked ASAP .
I'm sure you would not want to get stuck on the highway along with your family if anything goes wrong .
It better to be safe then sorry.
I'm sure gurus will advise you if it should be ok to drive or not .
Dont have much choice but to spend the next two days and then drive her back to Kolkata.

Surely will be gentle and not press the pedal hard.

Dont have any dependable MASS here and will not typically rely on the small MASS in the nearby towns.

Hopefully this will be a small issue and not be a major financial setback for me.

Thanks
Ranendra
Old 2nd March 2013, 00:25   #2573
BHPian

Quote:
dont you think if the ECU goes to limp mode it should switch on the SVS (Service Vehicle Soon) or some other diagnostic indicator on the instrument panel?
AFAIK not necessary.

Quote:
Also, i guess after the service I had revved the engine a couple of times on 10 to 12 kms stretches for 1 to 3 mins but never faced this issue. But today after driving the vehicle for approx. 1 hr when i tried to rev it beyond 2K to reach speeds of 120+ kmph this issue suddenly cropped up.
ECU can go in limp mode anytime but usually it happens after some work done in the car and needed process isn't followed on ECU part during those works like - resetting the ECU or clearing the previously stored faults or other info. Even if the needed steps followed, ECU can go with its own mind after performing well for sometime. You can yourself reset the ECU by disconnecting the battery and reconnecting it after 10-20 minutes.

But better to get the ECU checked at the service station so that they can also scan for stored fault codes and clear them.

Quote:
Have fixed up an appointment with the MASS on Monday.
Waiting for the update, hope this doesn't turn out into anything major.
tbppjpr is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2013, 00:32   #2574
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLK View Post
I have a Ritz Vdi and my car has acted similar more than 2-3 times, but after some time it recovers to its self. Therefore I have never been able to show this issue for service.

My guess has been that, this is some kind of fuel issue which block the fuel due to impurities because I always experience this when I drive the car after say 1 or 2 weeks of parking. It starts fine but after some time or days this happens. I also experienced this once, when I drove at 170+km/h.

Try warming up your car and driving a bit hard for some time, see if it solves.

Disclaimer: This is all guess work.
Hello,

Thanks for the information. However, my car is run everyday for about 50 kms. Also the pump is the same from where I had been filling up for the last 7 years. The car was fine in the city but when I was on the highway for about an hour, and I it suddenly needed to overtake another long haul vehicle I was amazed when it just revved the engine freely to 3.5K without giving me any thrust or acceleration. I abandoned the overtake.

Then tried doing this a couple of times but everytime the engine would suddenly rev freely as if I pressed the clutch.

It would be really bad if I cannot go back and show it to the MASS. Because this made my drive a hell with a sedate car and unwilling to push itself.

Praying that it does not self corrects and probably MASS is able to fix the issues.

Thanks
Ranendra
Old 2nd March 2013, 12:08   #2575
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hello,

Thanks for the information. However, my car is run everyday for about 50 kms. Also the pump is the same from where I had been filling up for the last 7 years. The car was fine in the city but when I was on the highway for about an hour, and I it suddenly needed to overtake another long haul vehicle I was amazed when it just revved the engine freely to 3.5K without giving me any thrust or acceleration. I abandoned the overtake.

Then tried doing this a couple of times but everytime the engine would suddenly rev freely as if I pressed the clutch.

It would be really bad if I cannot go back and show it to the MASS. Because this made my drive a hell with a sedate car and unwilling to push itself.

Praying that it does not self corrects and probably MASS is able to fix the issues.

Thanks
Ranendra
Its 150 % the clutch. Maybe the Oil seal in the gearbox has leaked causing the clutch to be present with oil contaminants in it.

Secondly, maybe the clutch plate is glazed and hence the slip.

Either ways, its the clutch. You will need to get it opened.
humyum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2013, 13:02   #2576
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
and I it suddenly needed to overtake another long haul vehicle I was amazed when it just revved the engine freely to 3.5K without giving me any thrust or acceleration. I abandoned the overtake.

This definitely seems like a clutch issue.
SLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2013, 22:46   #2577
BHPian

Hello Everyone,

Again an eventful day!

Was scheduled to return from my vacation from Digha, 200kms from Kolkata.

Left the hotel at 1 pm after a light lunch with me, my wife, my friend and his wife.

The car was parked opposite to Hotel Sea Hawk and was under the burning sun. Decided to rolldown the window and run the ventilator for 5 mins before getting in. Everyone was inside and I started rolling up the windows. Phew! the rear left window would not roll up. Got down, everytime I pull the lever it moves up by an inch. Spent 10 mins trying after a pause to pull the glass up. Pretty upset that my Swift is getting old and is no longer as reliable as it used to be.

Was driving sedately at 60 to 80 kmph since the turbo was non-existent. Suddenly 20 kms from Digha I ran into an unmarked speed breaker not even 4 inches in height and as soon as I went over it, the ICE stopped, the steering became stiff, EPS light came on and the car lost all its power.

I was barely able to pull it off to one side of the road perplexed and taken aback. The steering was stiff and the engine was not pulling.

Switched off the engine and set the key to ignition position. All instrument cluster lights were off except EPS. Switched on the hazard light. It did not come up. Wanted to get out and check things, pushed the central door unlock, the door would not open. Power window switches worked and also the blower was running still. Was able to manually unlock and come out to see if anything is wrong. There was no leakage no parts here and there and nothing absolutely.

Again switched off, on and cranked.... the starter tries desperately to run the mill but the engine is dead.

OMG! Stuck at 2pm in the middle of nowhere and my car dead.

My friend (who also owns a Maruti) calls up their country helpline. A lady picks of the phone and takes all my details. In a period of 10 mins, I get a phone call from Bhandari Automobiles Contai asking me my location and confirming if I was ready to pay the MOS charge of 800 Rs (the distance from their garage was approx. 14kms).

I readily agree and pay they are there.

After 45 mins they arrive in a WagonR with their large toolbox and the Suzuki ECU monitoring tool. Looks worried as he senses no signal from the ECU. Opens the hood, and looks closely at the battery. Notices a missing latch that holds the battery. Somehow the battery seemed to have been moved by the jerk and dislodged the primary connection to the ECU and the rest of the circuit.

Strange that the EPS, blower and power windows were the only ones working.

Happy that the car cranks up and everything is fine.

But the mech suggests that we drive to their service center where he would fit the missing bolt and make sure that a subsequent jerk does not again stall us.

Good job Maruti OnRoad Service. We were back on the roads by 5 pm.

Pretty dejected by the quality of work done by Mohun Motors Workshop.

An apparent slipping clutch and a lose battery after paying Rs. 36K for a service visit.

Me and wife not feeling confident of the car's reliability.

In the last 5 years we spent a total of approx. Rs 250K in preventive maintenance and recently paid the road tax for the next 5 years.

Do you think I should not dare take her long distances anymore.

She is still my beloved Swift, ready to take on anything I want it to do. Gives a mileage of approx. 18.5 with 100% AC in Kolkata and somewhere between 22 to 24 kmpl on the highways.

Gurus, I was planning to take the car to Gangtok and Pelling this May but am shattered.

I know the engine was pulled out and clutch replaced which might have its side effects but do you feel I should part ways with my Swift for a new ... I really dont know... but a Maruti for Sure.

Thanks
Ranendra

[P.S: Will visit Mohun MASS tomorrow and will let you know what they do about the RPM increase without power issue / clutch issue]
Old 4th March 2013, 11:34   #2578
BHPian

Folks - I came to know that my rear axle is bent and needs repair. Not sure how this happened.

The SA was saying they will just try replacing with a spindle and see if it works. I can make out that the cars handling has gone for a toss and there is severe body roll.

The axle costs around 8k. Is it a good idea to get it replaced? Appreciate your inputs on this. My car has run 65k till date.
NFS2024 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2013, 12:57   #2579
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFS2024 View Post
Folks - I came to know that my rear axle is bent and needs repair. Not sure how this happened.

The SA was saying they will just try replacing with a spindle and see if it works. I can make out that the cars handling has gone for a toss and there is severe body roll.

The axle costs around 8k. Is it a good idea to get it replaced? Appreciate your inputs on this. My car has run 65k till date.
Buddy get it changed if your handling is not normal. Did your car meet with any accident or run over any stone or a pothole? I know the axle is rigid but still in benefit of doubt.

Axle is a very crucial part. Just get it checked from another service center as second opinion. If there is a major issue get it done right away.

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2013, 13:12   #2580
Team-BHP Support

Did they take the alignment reading to determine the bent rear axle? Replacing is perfectly fine and any day recommended in comparison to repair.
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote