Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 4th October 2013, 15:21   #2686
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Swift Diesel, Saga continues. The DIESEL experience! Part II 60k kms Update Page

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
I had the same problem. Cranked twice and nothing happened, two lights displayed on the speedo but somehow managed to start it the third time. Took it straight to a battery shop and it died completely. First battery change was done in 2.4 years. I changed to SF Sonic which is a complete disaster. Wouldnt recommend that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Might be battery, but if you see lights coming up like christmas tree at a cold start/ after parking for a while. Its time to change the battery. Yes the OE battery can be quite troublesome after 2-3 years. Have an amaron now (touch wood), so far so good.
I faced the same issue again today, it took couple of attempts to start. No lights came up. I took the car to MASS for a check-up and they said battery is gone and advised to change it at the earliest. They asked me to buy outside as they charge more. For amaron battery, it is Rs. 6900 minus 300(for old battery). The outside price looks to be around Rs 5500.

Any recommended shop to get Amaron battery? OR can i just go to any authorized dealer?
arun_josie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2013, 15:24   #2687
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Swift Diesel, Saga continues. The DIESEL experience! Part II 60k kms Update Page

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
They asked me to buy outside as they charge more. For amaron battery, it is Rs. 6900 minus 300(for old battery). The outside price looks to be around Rs 5500.

Any recommended shop to get Amaron battery? OR can i just go to any authorized dealer?
Yes, MASS is expensive. They quoted 10k when I went . Not sure where to get it in Blore but try any reputed battery shops. MASS gives Exide/SF Sonic (atleast that's what they offered me)
naveen.raju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2013, 19:07   #2688
BHPian

Quote:
I faced the same issue again today, it took couple of attempts to start. No lights came up. I took the car to MASS for a check-up and they said battery is gone and advised to change it at the earliest. They asked me to buy outside as they charge more. For amaron battery, it is Rs. 6900 minus 300(for old battery). The outside price looks to be around Rs 5500.

My Swift VDI battery gave minor indications like service light staying on after the engine comes to life for around 3-4 seconds. Gradually taking 3-4 and more cranks to start.

Got quotes ranging from 4800-7400 for the Amaron GO (18+18 months warranty) in Bangalore. Can't remember the shops, but one near Ejipura signal quoted 4.8k with exchange.

There are a lot of battery dealers near Hosur road (b/w silk board and Electronic City), you can check it out. Or easier is to try JUSTDIAL, you may get home delivery as well. Just check the manufacturing date to make sure you don't get an older one.

Finally bought from Mysore for 5.1k after exchange with b/w.

Note from Support: Post edited. Please run a spell-check on your post before posting. Thanks!
Adi22 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2013, 12:49   #2689
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamdiesel View Post
Gave the car to Mandovi JP Nagar/Bannerghatta Road. Mostly will return it tomorrow. Estimate about 7.5k
Update....

Had been to Mandovi to check on my car. Oil cooler has been replaced. It resides behind the inter-cooler, below the oil filter.

But the rubber piping, inter-cooler, radiator, coolant tank is all messy with engine oil getting into them. The cleaning of oil residue from all these components is the difficult part. The cycle of cleaning the parts, putting it back, running the engine needs to continue till the oil residue is negligible.

The mechanic and SA were telling its a pretty common issue with Swift. They keep getting many similar issues every month. At least, its convincing to hear that these guys know what they are talking about

So guys be careful. Keep a watch on the coolant color and texture in the coolant reservoir regularly. Keep a watch on the temperature gauge and any unusual sound of the engine after a cold start.
dreamdiesel is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2013, 20:45   #2690
BHPian

Quote:
Update....

Had been to Mandovi to check on my car. Oil cooler has been replaced. It resides behind the inter-cooler, below the oil filter.

But the rubber piping, inter-cooler, radiator, coolant tank is all messy with engine oil getting into them. The cleaning of oil residue from all these components is the difficult part. The cycle of cleaning the parts, putting it back, running the engine needs to continue till the oil residue is negligible.

The mechanic and SA were telling its a pretty common issue with Swift. They keep getting many similar issues every month. At least, its convincing to hear that these guys know what they are talking about

So guys be careful. Keep a watch on the coolant color and texture in the coolant reservoir regularly. Keep a watch on the temperature gauge and any unusual sound of the engine after a cold start.
How much was the bill?
archat68 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2013, 21:00   #2691
Senior - BHPian

I changed the battery today with Amaron GO 565106590, it cost meRs.5700. I purchased this from Karuna Auto Electricals, Near SBI Bank, Bilekahalli Layout, BG Road. This shop was recommended by Mandovi MASS, JP Nager. Looks like this guy supply batteries to Mandovi.

0-18 Months - Free Replacement
19-36 Months - Pro-rated Compensation.

Price quoted by Kalyani MASS - 6600, BIMAL MASS - 6300, Other dealers - Between 5300 - 6300.

Last edited by arun_josie : 5th October 2013 at 21:04.
Old 5th October 2013, 21:41   #2692
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by archat68 View Post
How much was the bill?
Car is still at MASS. Will update the overall cost by Monday evening hopefully.
dreamdiesel is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2013, 23:57   #2693
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I changed the battery today with Amaron GO 565106590, it cost meRs.5700.
How is the feel of the starter motor when cranked with the new battery? Time taken to start the engine is lower right?

I have heard many battery guys say, if in doubt regarding the battery life - just switch the headlights ON and crank the engine. If the lights dim too much then the battery is almost dead. I have not tried this yet but just a doubt.

Anurag.
a4anurag is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2013, 11:16   #2694
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
How is the feel of the starter motor when cranked with the new battery? Time taken to start the engine is lower right?
Yes, now the engine starts quicker than before. The shop guy was saying that from his experience, Swift/Dzire diesel battery has less life time when compared to other cars.
Old 6th October 2013, 11:21   #2695
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The shop guy was saying that from his experience, Swift/Dzire diesel battery has less life time when compared to other cars.
And what could be the reason behind that? Could it be due to a lower quality OEM Battery?

That statement is surprising to hear for Maruti Suzuki.

Anurag.
a4anurag is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2013, 19:28   #2696
BHPian

Quote:
Car is still at MASS. Will update the overall cost by Monday evening hopefully.
Got my car back after being at MASS for 4 days. Hopefully, the issue has been fixed properly. I have driven for about 20kms after taking the car. Car seems to be fine like before. Paid 8,750/- for the repairs.

Name:  IMG_20131008_1918341.jpg
Views: 1132
Size:  344.0 KB
dreamdiesel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2013, 12:51   #2697
BHPian

Quote:
The shop guy was saying that from his experience, Swift/Dzire diesel battery has less life time when compared to other cars.
The battery life in any diesel car is significantly less than in a petrol car with comparable BHP. This is mainly due to the fact that a battery is subjected to much more stress every time it starts a diesel engine because diesel engines have a high compression ratio and much more force is required to crank a diesel engine. Furthermore, a petrol engine can start at a lower cranking RPM as compared to a diesel engine and therefore, a battery which is incapable of starting a diesel engine can continue to start an equivalent petrol engine for some more months.

My personal experience regarding failing battery in my Swift VDi can be seen here.
debuda is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2013, 13:15   #2698
BHPian

We changed our swift petrol battery recently with a Amaron flow for for rs 4100.0 . With a free replacement 0-24 months and pro rated compensation 25-48 months.our previous one battery served us for 6years and 75000 kms which imo is vfm.

Does diesel swift have a higher rated battery?
Akhilash95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2013, 09:12   #2699
Senior - BHPian

My 2010 swift vdi has done 31800KM on the ODO till date.I had done a "running service" at 28500KM.As per the maintenance manual the EGR and intercooler has to be cleaned at 30k. As of now the car is not showing any signs a clogged EGR (excessive smoke emmission or dud turbo boost).Should i get the EGR cleaned as I have 2 major roadtrips in Novemeber.

PS- i had got the intercooler cleaned at 25k.

Last edited by rakesh_r : 18th October 2013 at 09:15.
rakesh_r is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2013, 10:14   #2700
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Got my car back after being at MASS for 4 days. Hopefully, the issue has been fixed properly. I have driven for about 20kms after taking the car. Car seems to be fine like before. Paid 8,750/- for the repairs.
How do you find the guys at Mandovi JP Nagar/Bannerghatta Road? I had a bad experience at Bimal - BG Road during my 60K servicing. Now for the 70K servicing I am planning to check at Kalayani - BG road or Mandovi JP Nagar/BG road.