Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 7th February 2014, 10:43   #2746
BHPian

Guys
My Swifty is nearing the 100000 km and going for service. What are the major things that should be looked ?
dilipkumar7278 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2014, 17:49   #2747
BHPian

Default Re: Swift Diesel, Saga continues. The DIESEL experience! Part II 72k kms Update Page

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilipkumar7278 View Post
Guys
My Swifty is nearing the 100000 km and going for service. What are the major things that should be looked ?
Nothing as long as if you do not have any complaints. SA will say multiple thing if you are ready to spend During last visit he asked me to change the drive chain. here is the conv....

me : why I need to change the drive chain?
SA: since it is 130K it might have gone bad and shown a swift which was going through drive chain change.
me: ok. what are the symptoms to know that?
SA: there will be extra noise sir
me: is there any noise in this engine?
SA: no sir...
me: then why i need to change?
since it is run for 130K it is advisable sir...
me: you are selling swift saying it comes for the life time of the engine, why are you asking me to change when there is no noise also.
SA: No sir..we are not telling...
me: ok i will get you the brochure you give for swift which contains it
SA: ....
blorebuddy is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2014, 19:04   #2748
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Swift Diesel, Saga continues. The DIESEL experience! Part II 72k kms Update Page

Just do regular service and add any specific complaints that you might have. That's about it. Like blorebuddy mentioned if the SA tries to oversell anything, please politely decline it.
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2014, 13:07   #2749
BHPian

Thanks Guys
Can anyone recommend a good MASS in ernakulam. I am not confident of SAI service. Last time they had screwed up alignment .
Cheers
dilipkumar7278 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2014, 16:22   #2750
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Guys
Can anyone recommend a good MASS in ernakulam. I am not confident of SAI service. Last time they had screwed up alignment .
Cheers
1) Popular near Lisie hospital. Have personal experience there. Much better than Indus and Sai (personal opinion). Meet Mr Nithin, SA. Pretty good chap.
2) AutoTeam, Palarivattom. No personal experience but many bhpians highly recommend it.
naveen.raju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2014, 16:44   #2751
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Guys
Cheers
Alignment is the last thing you should take up with a MA$$. If that was the ONLY problem for you, I suggest you take you car there itself.

Else Auto Team (for it's reviews on t-bhp) will be my recommendation.
swiftnfurious is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2014, 16:34   #2752
Team-BHP Support

So at almost 7 years and 75k kms, first major issue (Edit: Second, first was the radiator fan failure right at the beginning) or rather failure is fast approaching. I was getting a weird swooosh sound from AC lines when i first switch on the compressor. Now this has increased and become a constant turbo whistle sorts. Had a quick check at Suraksha and they confirmed it is from the AC compressor. Seems like a bearing failure.

Bad news is it is not a dealer repairable component and has to be sent to service center in North India. I am not a big fan of these repairs also, last sanden i got serviced lasted barely for a year and costed more than 10000 bucks, almost a decade back. This time i will go with cheaper local options or replace with a new compressor.

So finally a question from me to rest of swift owners? Any repair experience with the compressor unit of your DDiS?

Last edited by Jaggu : 19th February 2014 at 16:40.
Old 19th February 2014, 18:19   #2753
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
So at almost 7 years and 75k kms, first major issue (Edit: Second, first was the radiator fan failure right at the beginning) or rather failure is fast approaching. I was getting a weird swooosh sound from AC lines when i first switch on the compressor. Now this has increased and become a constant turbo whistle sorts. Had a quick check at Suraksha and they confirmed it is from the AC compressor. Seems like a bearing failure.
Does it make a hissing kind of sound ?
Was the refrigerant topped-up anytime ?

Re-built/Recon compressors don't last.
interc00led is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2014, 20:48   #2754
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by interc00led View Post
Does it make a hissing kind of sound ?
Was the refrigerant topped-up anytime ?

Re-built/Recon compressors don't last.
It did sounded like a hiss initially, hence i went in thinking a top up would help... but now it seems its more than that The ac radiator was removed couple of years back, at that time a complete refill was done.
Old 19th February 2014, 21:18   #2755
BHPian

Quote:
It did sounded like a hiss initially, hence i went in thinking a top up would help... but now it seems its more than that The ac radiator was removed couple of years back, at that time a complete refill was done.
Topped-up recently ? How is the cooling ?

Other than the air compressor, a faulty/sticking expansion valve can also create noise but then cooling would be erratic and inadequate.
interc00led is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2014, 21:34   #2756
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I was getting a weird swooosh sound from AC lines when i first switch on the compressor. Now this has increased and become a constant turbo whistle sorts.
My colleague went through the exact same thing is his Ford Fusion. Narrowed down to a leak in the Evaporator unit.

Ford got the first attempt wrong by replacing a refrigerant pipe under the hood of the Fusion. This did not solve the problem and the refrigerant leaked again. The second visit narrowed it down to the Evaporator unit.

I doubt compressor failure in your car.
sandeepmohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2014, 22:09   #2757
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
My colleague went through the exact same thing is his Ford Fusion.
============
I doubt compressor failure in your car.
Cooling is fine, ac is otherwise working fine also. Now i can hear mechanical sound while standing outside the car with compressor on. I am pretty sure about the diagnosis part. No leaks nothing so far in these 7 years.
Old 19th February 2014, 22:37   #2758
BHPian

Quote:
Cooling is fine, ac is otherwise working fine also. Now i can hear mechanical sound while standing outside the car with compressor on. I am pretty sure about the diagnosis part. No leaks nothing so far in these 7 years.
If you are sure that the compressor is the source of noise then you can replace it now or continue till it gives up totally.

If I were you then I would continue using it without any repair.

But the only downside that I can see is that you will have to flush the entire refrigerant lines thoroughly because when a compressor gets bad, it might release debris into the system, condenser could get choked, could contaminate the oil and if not cleaned properly then it could even damage the new compressor within no time.
interc00led is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2014, 19:22   #2759
Team-BHP Support

I had a phone chat with the AC expert wecool here in BLR, while explaining itself he stopped me and said its a known issue in swifts (whine) and no known solution aka repair. No issues apart from sound and he asked me not to worry about any other damage, when the sound becomes really annoying just throw away the compressor and get new. There are 3 types that comes in swift and he said depending on the model it will be a 10-13k.
Old 15th March 2014, 10:19   #2760
BHPian

Hi Guys

I have a 2009 Model swift VDI and have completed 124k Kms, gave it for service as I kept getting this noise when I accelerate at low gears and engine response was very poor, also could hear engine noise inside the cabin.

Gave it to MSM, Chennai for service they found that there was oil in intercooler, they cleaned the same also did a 42point check, I have run 1000kms more now after service and it has improved to an extent but still engine response is very poor at low gears, couldn't accelerate that well.

Could you please advise if anyone is facing such issues?
Addy81 is offline   Reply With Quote