Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 30th June 2014, 16:00   #2821
BHPian

Default 175K Update

Hello all am back after a long break, 2014 has been heavy on maintenance for my Swift.
Jan -
Symptoms: Excessive knocking and very low FE
Cause: The timing chain and hydraulic latch assembly issue.
1 week down time and a bill of almost 23K

March-April
Symptoms: Unable to slot into 1st gear from 2nd
Cause: Synchronizer issue
Synchronizer replaced
Within a few weeks I wasn't able to slot into 3rd from 4th this time the 2nd synchronizer failed. We then learnt that it is best to replace both the synchronizers.
Cost ~3.5K each Visit as we needed to replace the gear oil

May:
Symptoms: Grinding noise from the transmission and unable to slot into any gear.
Cause: Broken Circlip
Cost: 2K and the circlip costs just Rs 6/-

Not sure if it's worth keeping a diesel car beyond 150K Kms

Note: This does not involve cost of regular service

Last edited by anshurao : 30th June 2014 at 16:01. Reason: Additional Info
anshurao is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2014, 10:12   #2822
BHPian

Default Re: Swift Diesel, Saga continues. The DIESEL experience! Part II 72k kms Update Page

Folk, looks like my swift front seats cushions are gone. Seats are not firm and kind of gone down. What are the options? It is a 7 year old car with 145k in odo. I am planning to keep it for a year or 2 max so not looking for a expensive solution.
blorebuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2014, 12:21   #2823
BHPian

Default Re: Swift Diesel, Saga continues. The DIESEL experience! Part II 72k kms Update Page

I also have similar problem with the seats and my car too is 7yr old with ~90k on odo, so looking forward to some solution.

Another update from my side - had to give my car for front suspension/shocks replacement today but I was in for surprise/shock when I reached MASS and car was lifted & suspension opened. All the 4 shocks are gone (front/rear), the back ones are so bad that once pressed, they don't even come back to original form in next 10 secs. Plus front brake pads & both the discs gone too - don't know how I missed that!

Estimate provided - 19K + tax, will update on real cost once I get the final bill.
asethi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2014, 19:11   #2824
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blorebuddy View Post
Folk, looks like my swift front seats cushions are gone. Seats are not firm and kind of gone down. What are the options? It is a 7 year old car with 145k in odo. I am planning to keep it for a year or 2 max so not looking for a expensive solution.
You might be able to get it done from some upholstery guys! Else, I believe, there is a pair of seats up for sale in the classifieds section.
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2014, 19:04   #2825
BANNED

Hi All ,

I was experiencing system check light for few days today got it checked in maruti service master narina ,

They told me that the glow plug second and third glow plugs are gone.

They tried changing the glow plug
But the third got stuck now they are asking me to get the head opened as the glow plug will need to be removed with in

If they try too hard to open the glow plug it might drop in side the engine .

The cost estimate around 12,000 to 15,000 rs

Pls advise now as i am sitting within the service center,

Regards,

gaurav
Kool_Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2014, 19:56   #2826
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kool_Kid View Post
They told me that the glow plug second and third glow plugs are gone.
They tried changing the glow plug
But the third got stuck now they are asking me to get the head opened as the glow plug will need to be removed with in
If they try too hard to open the glow plug it might drop in side the engine .
The cost estimate around 12,000 to 15,000 rs
Pls advise now as i am sitting within the service center,
Please check my other post.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ml#post3392898 (Indica Vista - list of Known problems)

Quote:
A special tool is used to remove the stuck/broken glow plug.
There are people who do the work on-site ie. they come to the workshop and remove the glow-plug for Rs.1000~1500 using "special tools".
9/10 times, there is no need to remove the head.

If the head is removed then make sure the head gasket,injector copper seals,exhaust gasket etc is replaced and the bolts torqued properly.
Removing the head must be the last option.
interc00led is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2014, 09:20   #2827
BHPian

Had a strange issue with my swift few days back. Halted for a signal and started moving when it turned green. I sensed something wrong. I have realized that Accelerator is not responding. Vehicle is moving with the gear speed at 950RPM. I have managed to drive this way and went home and parked. Next day morning taken in to the service station which is 3 kms away. I parked outside for sometime and then taken it inside. Found that everything looked normal. Went for a ride with SA and left the car for them to test and figureout the issue. They have also drove it for 20 kms and could not figure out the issue and returned out the vehicle in the evening saying there is no issues. when it comes they asked me to bring it again.

Have anyone faced similar issue? What could be the issue. SA is suspecting a clutch sleeve cylinder issue.
blorebuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2014, 11:10   #2828
BBT
BHPian

Quote:
Had a strange issue with my swift few days back. Halted for a signal and started moving when it turned green. I sensed something wrong. I have realized that Accelerator is not responding. Vehicle is moving with the gear speed at 950RPM. I have managed to drive this way and went home and parked. Next day morning taken in to the service station which is 3 kms away. I parked outside for sometime and then taken it inside. Found that everything looked normal. Went for a ride with SA and left the car for them to test and figureout the issue. They have also drove it for 20 kms and could not figure out the issue and returned out the vehicle in the evening saying there is no issues. when it comes they asked me to bring it again.

Have anyone faced similar issue? What could be the issue. SA is suspecting a clutch sleeve cylinder issue.
May have been the first thing they checked but I would guess that the Throttle position sensor may have carbon deposits or may be faulty. 950 RPM is idle speed with AC on so I'm guessing it might have something to do with the accelerator not sending through the right signal.

I faced issues with my Fiestas throttle position sensor which had carbon deposits on it but the symptoms for that were the car seemed to want to stall just as I released the clutch when moving off from a stationary position. There was a little carbon deposit right at the start of the sensor in my case, in your case there might have been carbon deposit all around. Just a guess but worth a check.
BBT is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2014, 12:41   #2829
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Had a strange issue with my swift few days back. Halted for a signal and started moving when it turned green. I sensed something wrong. I have realized that Accelerator is not responding. Vehicle is moving with the gear speed at 950 RPM. I have managed to drive this way and went home and parked. Next day morning taken in to the service station which is 3 kms away.
When the car is OFF, dab the accelerator pedal (end to end) quite a few times swiftly so that the movement clears up and if any dust has settled would clear up.

Looks to be something with the accelerator rather than clutch.

Anurag.
a4anurag is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2014, 00:01   #2830
BHPian

I have just done 1 lac Kms on my 6 years old Swift Vdi and now it it due for service.
I am confused whether i should do the engine oil flushing or not. All 1 lacs Kms done inside city only and regularly oil changed at 5000 Kms.
I know oil flushing is highly debatable topic but i just need some expert opinions who has done it.
nisarg86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2014, 00:51   #2831
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nisarg86 View Post
I have just done 1 lac Kms on my 6 years old Swift Vdi and now it it due for service.
I am confused whether i should do the engine oil flushing or not. All 1 lacs Kms done inside city only and regularly oil changed at 5000 Kms.
I know oil flushing is highly debatable topic but i just need some expert opinions who has done it.
No, Don't flush, just oil change. Mine just finished one lakh some days ago and I got the oil and oil filter changed. Don't do anything out of the ordinary.
humyum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2014, 00:56   #2832
BHPian

Thanx humyum for the reply. What about the timing belt ? Manual suggest that it should be replaced at 1 lacs.
Old 27th August 2014, 09:35   #2833
BBT
BHPian

Quote:
Thanx humyum for the reply. What about the timing belt ? Manual suggest that it should be replaced at 1 lacs.
As far as I know, the swift has a timing chain, not a belt and its supposedly self adjusting for the lifetime of the engine. Lifetime may be subjective :-)
BBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2014, 09:35   #2834
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
It's better to go with every changes mentioned in the manual for the particular service. That would keep the car healthy.
swiftnfurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2014, 09:39   #2835
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBT View Post
As far as I know, the swift has a timing chain, not a belt and its supposedly self adjusting for the lifetime of the engine. Lifetime may be subjective :-)
Yes. Chain. Not the belt. Goofed up between two. Will check it out today at service center.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
It's better to go with every changes mentioned in the manual for the particular service. That would keep the car healthy.
Thanx. Yes I have always followed the same from manuals. And that is the reason many friends find my car just like new.