Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 30th September 2008, 10:55   #286
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: KA-03
Posts: 471
Thanked: 49 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by srikant View Post
Hi ripper, i checked the rpm on 5th gear at 100kmph and it is in around the range of 2200-2300, but the pick up is too slow, and very difficult for over taking. This was not the case earlier.
This post came at the right time !!!
I was feeling the same way, and was about to post it.
There used to be this feeling of massive pull in the initial days. It really used to pull me through even in bumper to bumper traffic, it was a bit of challenge to control the pull.
Example, if I had to ride on clutch during such conditions, as soon as I release clutch, there used to be a jump kind of pull. Its not there anymore.
Also as mentioned in other posts, the acceleration is more linear.
There is no massive low end torque. Even in lower speeds there used to be lot of torque, which slowly decreased. I wouldnt say its gone completely, but considerably decreased.

Sometimes even thought it might be because of driving style/city conditions(airport road to bannerghatta road everyday) where you inevitably have to ride clutch at least on few occasions.
(Car has learnt to behave in this traffic, through artificial intelligence )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
@srikant: wild guess, check your engine oil level (ideally when cold), it has been earlier reported that over filling causes similar issues.
Need to check this... The dip stick should be in middle level ideally?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippergeo View Post
Maybe thats what's happened to you? the car will feel slower, but isnt, when you look at the numbers(your numbers so far, are all correct)
but i must say, overtaking ,has gotten easier than when the car was new, unlike for you.
I havent done a quantitative analysis though, it was more qualitative perception...
sriturl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2008, 12:36   #287
BHPian
 
srikant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 488
Thanked: 9 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
@srikant: wild guess, check your engine oil level (ideally when cold), it has been earlier reported that over filling causes similar issues.
Hey Jaggu, I changed to MOBIL1 5W50 fully synthetic oil on the 20k service after flushing the mineral oil. And since then i have a smoother n more silent engine and no power delivery problems. And the engine oil level seems ok. I checked it this morning.

I have started a new thread for discussing this topic and the link is http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...rob-turbo.html (Swift DDIS crash, Prob with turbo??) So let have all the future discussion there so that we are topic specific. It was my fault posting this first in this thread. Sorry again

Mods: Request you to kindly move these posting to my new thread if possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippergeo View Post
its odd. the rpm for that speed is spot on. mileage is normal. and you have not mentioned anything about smoke, so I assume that it is not smoking excessively. I'm lost.

.....

Maybe thats what's happened to you? the car will feel slower, but isnt, when you look at the numbers(your numbers so far, are all correct)
but i must say, overtaking ,has gotten easier than when the car was new, unlike for you.

The ideal situation would be to get it checked by an expert, and not listen to arm chair theorists like me
Hey ripper, good to hear that man, but i have my own doubts now. have i got used to the car too much that i am not able to feel that anymore?

Your fun in overtaking may be due to the PETES inside !! Enjoy man !! I am on my savings for the PETES box too, so i ll have one soon too.

Note from the Team-BHP Support Staff : Please use the "edit" button if posting within 15 minutes of the first post, instead of creating another back-to-back post

Also use "Multi Quote" option for quoting Multiple posts.

Last edited by Jaggu : 30th September 2008 at 12:54. Reason: Back to back, use EDIT and Multi Quote
srikant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2008, 12:48   #288
Team-BHP Support
 
Jaggu's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 17,650
Thanked: 7,199 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriturl View Post
Need to check this... The dip stick should be in middle level ideally?
It can be full also, but NOT beyond that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by srikant View Post
Hey Jaggu, I changed to MOBIL1 5W50 fully synthetic oil on the 20k service after flushing the mineral oil. And since then i have a smoother n more silent engine and no power delivery problems. And the engine oil level seems ok. I checked it this morning.

I wouldnt recommend Mobil 1, since its NOT the right grade. Mobil Delvac 1 is the appropriate synthetic.
Jaggu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2008, 13:05   #289
BHPian
 
srikant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 488
Thanked: 9 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
I wouldnt recommend Mobil 1, since its NOT the right grade. Mobil Delvac 1 is the appropriate synthetic.
I came across MOBIL 1 recommendation from a Team BHP thread. In that case will that have any adverse effect on my engine?I got the oil change done at SITARAM MASS in Trichur, They too confirmed that MOBIL 1 will be the best option.

Quote:
Note from the Team-BHP Support Staff : Please use the "edit" button if posting within 15 minutes of the first post, instead of creating another back-to-back post

Also use "Multi Quote" option for quoting Multiple posts.
__________________
Point noted Support staff, thank you for the support.

Last edited by srikant : 30th September 2008 at 13:14. Reason: to reply to Team BHP support staff.
srikant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2008, 13:10   #290
Team-BHP Support
 
Jaggu's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 17,650
Thanked: 7,199 Times
Default

Mobil 1 is OK but you are not getting any major benefits is what i think, BUT on the other hand it will not cause any major damage under normal circumstances. Basically its not the correct oil and NOT worth the money spend.
Jaggu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2008, 14:54   #291
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: KA-03
Posts: 471
Thanked: 49 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by srikant View Post
I came across MOBIL 1 recommendation from a Team BHP thread. In that case will that have any adverse effect on my engine?I got the oil change done at SITARAM MASS in Trichur, They too confirmed that MOBIL 1 will be the best option.

5W50 is better than 15W40 recommended by Maruti for Swift-D
5W will hold viscosity upto 5deg Cent as opposed to 15W which holds upto 15deg Cent.
Unless you are going towards Himalayas, you dont need a 5W oil, and not worth the extra money.
You didnt do damage to your vehicle. So dont worry.
sriturl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2008, 16:02   #292
Senior - BHPian
 
DieselFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,570
Thanked: 233 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriturl View Post
5W50 is better than 15W40 recommended by Maruti for Swift-D
5W will hold viscosity upto 5deg Cent as opposed to 15W which holds upto 15deg Cent.
Unless you are going towards Himalayas, you dont need a 5W oil, and not worth the extra money.
You didnt do damage to your vehicle. So dont worry.
No that is not how your interpret these numbers. 0W oil is tested at -35 Deg C. A 5W and -30 deg C and 10W and -25 Deg C. read more about the same. read more about the grade in Motor oil - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

Also it is not just temp. grade which is important, API standards are more important. For example Mobil Delvac MX 15W40 meets API CI-4 standards while mobil 1 0W40 meets API CF-4 standards only. Swift D needs a Min of API CH-4 oil.
DieselFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2008, 20:04   #293
BHPian
 
srikant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 488
Thanked: 9 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Mobil 1 is OK but you are not getting any major benefits is what i think, BUT on the other hand it will not cause any major damage under normal circumstances. Basically its not the correct oil and NOT worth the money spend.
Thanks pal, i was very much worried after you told of the wrong oil. How much does the MOBIL DELVAC cost per liter? and what the exact spec of engine oil to buy from MOBIL DELVAC?? I got the present oil at dealer price and saved Rs. 1000.00 on the retail price for 4 liter on the name of TEAM BHP. Will tell you how some other day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriturl View Post
5W50 is better than 15W40 recommended by Maruti for Swift-D
5W will hold viscosity upto 5deg Cent as opposed to 15W which holds upto 15deg Cent.
Unless you are going towards Himalayas, you dont need a 5W oil, and not worth the extra money.
You didnt do damage to your vehicle. So dont worry.
Thanks pal !

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselFan View Post
No that is not how your interpret these numbers. 0W oil is tested at -35 Deg C. A 5W and -30 deg C and 10W and -25 Deg C. read more about the same. read more about the grade in Motor oil - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

Also it is not just temp. grade which is important, API standards are more important. For example Mobil Delvac MX 15W40 meets API CI-4 standards while mobil 1 0W40 meets API CF-4 standards only. Swift D needs a Min of API CH-4 oil.
Thats a great info pal. Thank you.
srikant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2008, 14:54   #294
BHPian
 
ghostrider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bombay
Posts: 678
Thanked: 304 Times
Default

Definitely one of the best threads on the forum, IMO.

This may be slightly OT, but my LDi is due for the first (1000Km / 1 month) service at Vitesse (Prabhadevi workshop) in Mumbai. Any one used them before? Could you share something about the service experience?
ghostrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2008, 20:25   #295
Distinguished - BHPian
 
jkdas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Thiruvananthapu
Posts: 9,649
Thanked: 1,373 Times
Default

4th service cost 5k plus for my friend's VDi. They charged 650Rs or so for cleaning intercooler among other stuff.

My Safari's @ 15k cost just 2-2.5k!

Was he overcharged?
jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2008, 08:58   #296
Senior - BHPian
 
kuttapan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 1,155
Thanked: 12 Times
Default

5k is a bit on the higher side, low to high 4k's are the norm for a DDiS 20k service, if you do nothing outside normal service. Intercooler cleaning seems to be hogwash, I don't think it is mentioned in the manual, neither do I think the dealer did it.
kuttapan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2008, 01:44   #297
BHPian
 
muneemmk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Cochin
Posts: 809
Thanked: 14 Times
Default

OT : - Jaggu Bhai I Have lost the Swoosh on my Vdi how do I get it back ? where can it be found ? it's done just 14,000km and the turbo whine or is it he BOV dosen't seem to be there anymore, 140kmph was a breeze now it takes an eternity ? what should I do ? help.
muneemmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2008, 09:44   #298
Senior - BHPian
 
kpzen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Faridabad
Posts: 5,539
Thanked: 1,545 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post

My Safari's @ 15k cost just 2-2.5k!
What all was done? Oil change included?
kpzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2008, 09:45   #299
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: BLR
Posts: 2,222
Thanked: 10 Times
Default

Airfilter cleaning and maybe a round of System D. Overdue for my car too!
s0uljah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2008, 10:43   #300
Team-BHP Support
 
Jaggu's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 17,650
Thanked: 7,199 Times
Default

@muneem: check air cleaner
@s0uljah: i dumped the System D, it doesnt help in DDIS
Jaggu is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Skoda Superb: The saga ends at 57000 km Hayek Long-Term Ownership Reviews 192 25th January 2017 21:19
Chica Italiano dressed in White! the Saga Begins!!! (White Linea) Update: Now Sold ! Sunilrj Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 294 10th June 2012 07:24
Grande Punto, Red Emotion Pack Multijet Diesel 9000 km - 4 months - Saga continues SamtheLeo Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 54 12th February 2010 21:30
Honda Recalls 182,756 Civics Over Wheel-Bearing Leak Ashutosh The International Automotive Scene 11 18th September 2007 11:16


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 21:40.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks