Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 19th October 2008, 19:02   #316
BHPian

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshguy View Post
a noise when the rpm touches around 1600 - 2200?? is it the turbo opening sound?
Felt a slight kick in the back side as the turbo kicks in, never felt it was noisy.
Been a while since I've driven it as the puppy is back home

Painting cost depends on the damage, I've no idea about the price of light.
yzfrj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2008, 20:06   #317
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yzfrj View Post
Felt a slight kick in the back side as the turbo kicks in, never felt it was noisy.
Been a while since I've driven it as the puppy is back home

Painting cost depends on the damage, I've no idea about the price of light.
Hey ,i do get that kick at back.infact i say its like a filght take off and i love it.

Actuall i wouldnt say its a noise ,its like a tappet sound kind of.Now how do i express the sound to you????
joshguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2008, 22:30   #318
BHPian

cost of painting a bumper is 2500 at MASS. no clue about the price of a tail lamp.
white_vdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2008, 07:36   #319
Awaiting Email Confirmation

the older tail lamp costed 1600 for me I think. this was after a protruding loose iron rod sitting in the back of an auto flew out and destroyed the tail lamp of my parked car

dont know about the new clear lens tail lamps
rippergeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2008, 13:48   #320
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippergeo View Post
does the sound come when the steering is slightly turned while on rough roads, or even when the steering is dead straight?

if its just an inspection+tightening and cleaning, the total bill for the whole service should be below 4000

Sorry for the delay, was off the net for a while. The sound is always there I shall confirm with the position of steering. I think it is when I turn the wheel a hint. Will check that out today.

Okay, so the bill will be the same like my 20K service
anshurao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2008, 15:36   #321
BHPian

Default Black smoke

I was trying to overtake a car and had to rev up a bit hard, and saw black smoke out of my exhaust clearly through my RVM.
My odo currently is 8700 and due for service at 10K.

Is it fine? or do I need to do some checks?
sriturl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2008, 15:43   #322
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriturl View Post
I was trying to overtake a car and had to rev up a bit hard, and saw black smoke out of my exhaust clearly through my RVM.
My odo currently is 8700 and due for service at 10K.

Is it fine? or do I need to do some checks?
Are you using regular diesel? If not switch to regular diesel, also check if your air filter if its clean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anshurao View Post
Sorry for the delay, was off the net for a while. The sound is always there I shall confirm with the position of steering. I think it is when I turn the wheel a hint. Will check that out today.

Okay, so the bill will be the same like my 20K service
99% Steering damper noise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshguy View Post
Hey ,i do get that kick at back.infact i say its like a filght take off and i love it.

Actuall i wouldnt say its a noise ,its like a tappet sound kind of.Now how do i express the sound to you????
Yes its normal and is diesel pitter patter will come down as your car runs more.
Jaggu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2008, 15:44   #323
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Are you using regular diesel? If not switch to regular diesel, also check if your air filter if its clean.

I am using regular, but started adding SystemD for last two fills. I will stop that, and check air filter. thanks.
Old 22nd October 2008, 15:48   #324
Team-BHP Support

Dont think System D will give smoke issues and that too at that level. If your car usually is run at lower rpms esp in city conditions, there is a high probability that soot would have accumulated, which is thrown out at hard acceleration (assuming this was done after down shifting) OR flooring at a higher gear also can contribute to this.

Air filter is a good thing to check.
Old 22nd October 2008, 17:31   #325
BHPian

Quote:
If your car usually is run at lower rpms esp in city conditions, there is a high probability that soot would have accumulated, which is thrown out at hard acceleration (assuming this was done after down shifting) OR flooring at a higher gear also can contribute to this.

that is the exact scenario in which smoke came out.
Most driving is in Bangalore between HAL and Dairy circle in peak conditions.
And today, I just accelerated at gear2 to overtake one guy suddenly, and smoke came out.
That explanation helps.
But definitely air filter is something I will get checked with 10K service.
I saw in a comment saying air filter cleaning is not part of recommended schedule.
Can I do it myself?

Or do you think shifting to K&N is a good idea?
Old 22nd October 2008, 19:48   #326
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I saw in a comment saying air filter cleaning is not part of recommended schedule.
Can I do it myself?

Or do you think shifting to K&N is a good idea?
My car every service its done if replacement is not done without any special requests. Stock filter in stock car is good enough, since if you move to K&N you will still need to do cleaning.

Yes you can do it, if you have access to tools and and pressurized air/vacuum cleaner
Old 22nd October 2008, 22:22   #327

Quote:
Originally Posted by anshurao View Post
Hey Jaggu,

What's your odo reading? I am due for the 35K servicing and I notice that there is a funny noise from the front right suspension. Especially while doing low speeds on rough roads, it's like something is loose. Took it to the dealership couple of months back, but they couldn't fix it. If anyone could help me on this, probably i can tell the service engineer what to check for.

Thanks,
Anshu
i had same problem the sound was from steering box .initially thought it as from damper and replaced it but sound remained .put complaint to maruti,entire steering unit replaced now sound dissapeared.
argee9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2008, 00:42   #328
BHPian

@ agree9: was the sound more plasticy? even i get some sound like some plastic part is loose over bumps and the workshop people cant find anything wrong with the car . my car is 3 months old.
white_vdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2008, 01:31   #329
F50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
that is the exact scenario in which smoke came out.

And today, I just accelerated at gear2 to overtake one guy suddenly, and smoke came out.
That explanation helps.
I had the same problem. My 3 months old Vdi used to leave smoke. I had a word with Jaggu and he said that it does smoke but not at as low as 2500 rpms. I stopped filling at that pump. Now there is no smoke even at 3500 rpms.

Quote:
K&N you will still need to do cleaning.
K&N is available for diesel swift?
F50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2008, 10:44   #330
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by argee9 View Post
i had same problem the sound was from steering box .initially thought it as from damper and replaced it but sound remained .put complaint to maruti,entire steering unit replaced now sound dissapeared.
Good Info, let me try my luck at the 40K service
anshurao is offline   Reply With Quote