Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 18th April 2009, 22:23   #586
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bala80 View Post
Great. Please post your inferences and also the statistics if possible (boost pressure, fuel injection).
yes, @Ripper: please post this. It would be useful for many of us who may be facing a similar issue but attribute it to the engine freeing up or the boost becoming linear!
mtnrajdeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2009, 22:43   #587
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Quote:
Great. Please post your inferences and also the statistics if possible (boost pressure, fuel injection). Im kind of confused as though the issue reported by both of us is extremely similar in nature, the boost pressure readings from tech2 were different. In your case, it was evident that there was no turbo boost happening, whereas in my case numbers seem quite normal. Appreciate your assistance Ripper. Thanks
I doubt if tech 2 can provide accurate readings of boost pressure. I have no idea where tech2 gets the readings for the boost from. I shall try and find out.
In my case, the tech2 showed normal boost. I didnt believe it, so found an aftermarket boost gauge, hooked it up and got the truth. before you rush off to MASS saying their tech 2 is useless, we need more info on this question.
"where is the tech 2 getting info on boost pressure"

The MASS I had initially gone to told me my turbo was fine after the tech 2 reading, visual inspection and also let me feel the the pressure of the air coming out of the turbo against my hand(of course, that is no way of measuring boost pressure)

hopefully will have more info by middle of next week.
rippergeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2009, 23:27   #588
BHPian

Guys if any one of you could tell me how to open the glove box in Swift Dzire.I had gone through Jaggu`s post on fan cleaning but if some one can provide information on how to pull/push the clips(rubber ones).
thanks in advance

ankit jhamb
ankit.jhamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2009, 10:17   #589
Team-BHP Support

Open glove box, put preassure on the top edge sidewards so that the stopper clip is free, same for the second side. glove box now will open fully, the bottom part is a snap on and a gentle pull to remove it completely.

The upper stopper needs slightly more pressure.
Jaggu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2009, 10:40   #590
BHPian

thanks jaggu,i was a little gentle with the upper stopper.I was able to remove it easily after reading you post.
can something be done for the gap which exists between the glove box the AC FAN AREA.yesterday some of my stuff went in that area,and that is the reason why i had open the glove box.
Old 19th April 2009, 14:41   #591
Team-BHP Support

mosquito net comes to mind seriosly it's soft and flexible and can be fixed as a safety net with some improvisation/sticking.
Old 19th April 2009, 15:11   #592
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
mosquito net comes to mind seriosly it's soft and flexible and can be fixed as a safety net with some improvisation/sticking.
.we can actually try that.
But I am very shocked to see that all the wires,pipes etc are easily accessible from that side.
should that be covered with another layer?
Old 20th April 2009, 17:26   #593
Senior - BHPian

I met with the head of customer care and technical division in MSM chennai today and following is the summary of happenings.

I met with a senior technical person who sounded quite knoweledgable in understanding my problem, We took the vehicle through an elaborate test drive, ripping it in every gear. The technician connected an system very similar to tech 2, but said this is SDD (Suzuki Diagnostic Device) and he said this is a little advanced to tech 2. When the vehicle is stationary, the boost pressure reads 99 kpa (explanation - barometric pressure of air, 100 kpa), and as the throttle input increases the boost pressure readings also changes. The boost pressure was at 101-103 Kpa at around 2000 RPM and went upto 120 kpa at 3000 RPM. Now we took the vehicle for a drive and the boost pressure reading changed with speed/load etc. The boost pressure was in the range of 120 -125 kpa @2000 RPM. We accelerated the vehicle till the red line and the readings went as high as around 210 kpa @4000 RPM. As per this gentlemen, the vehicle is perfectly fine and there are absolutely no problems. They go by their diagnostic tool data and according to them there is no problems. Also, there was no problem noticed with the other parameters.

Ripper - My biggest problem now is to make them acknowedge that there is a problem, forget about a resolution. I have wasted enough time already making them understand and im not too optimistic that they would in any case (for them tech2 is the bible). The next level of escalation is a team of engineers from maruti who would be visiting the chennai workshop next week for any issues. Im not too sure if i can make any headway in this, but atleast if you manage to find out the source of reading for tech 2 and if im able to validate this with another tool, i can try taking it up once again with may be a different MASS in chennai. I hope im not asking too much from you here. Thanks for all your assistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippergeo View Post
I doubt if tech 2 can provide accurate readings of boost pressure. I have no idea where tech2 gets the readings for the boost from. I shall try and find out.
In my case, the tech2 showed normal boost. I didnt believe it, so found an aftermarket boost gauge, hooked it up and got the truth. before you rush off to MASS saying their tech 2 is useless, we need more info on this question.
"where is the tech 2 getting info on boost pressure"

The MASS I had initially gone to told me my turbo was fine after the tech 2 reading, visual inspection and also let me feel the the pressure of the air coming out of the turbo against my hand(of course, that is no way of measuring boost pressure)

hopefully will have more info by middle of next week.
bala80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2009, 18:06   #594
BHPian

Rippergeo could you please post the findings as to what was wrong with your turbo .

I really like to get that boost/woosh when it crosses the 2k RPM even if it means replacing the turbo .

Any idea on the cost of a new turbo ?
sandeep3in is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2009, 18:20   #595
Team-BHP Support

The figures should been compared to another car, that would make it easier for all of you all to decide whether something is wrong or not. What is wrong, should be the next step.
Eddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2009, 20:56   #596
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Quote:

Ripper - My biggest problem now is to make them acknowedge that there is a problem, forget about a resolution.
I know, I faced the same answer for a year. the tech 2 says its fine, so there's nothing wrong.
210kpa should be made at 2000rpm, not 4000rpm, peak torque comes with peak boost. if you look at the torque curve of the DDIS, all the torque comes in at 2000 and drops away rapidly and is almost gone by 4k rpm. boost being produced at 4k rpm is useless.
and at 2k rpm you are making slightly more than normal atmospheric pressure. to me..that sounds like a defective turbo, it could be other things too, but I'm betting on the turbo.

Those people seem to have the diagnosis staring at them in the face, but still refuse to "see" it. I dont think they are doing it on purpose, its just sheer ignorance.

Also, what you reported makes things clearer to me now. Tech 2 shows absolute pressure. i.e atmospheric pressure+ whatever boost is being produced.
I assumed it as pure boost pressure(without adding atmospheric pressure), hence tech 2 numbers looked normal to me. In actual fact, the tech 2 was telling us that the boost was non existent at 2k rpm, and me, like an idiot, did not apply my brains.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeep3in View Post
Rippergeo could you please post the findings as to what was wrong with your turbo .

I really like to get that boost/woosh when it crosses the 2k RPM even if it means replacing the turbo .

Any idea on the cost of a new turbo ?
I will post as soon as I find out. The MASS I have given the car to is not very high tech, but they try very hard to get things done. Now that they have confirmed it is the turbo, the car has to be brought back to cochin(supposed to happen today, but didnt) for a more detailed diagnosis than defective turbo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
The figures should been compared to another car, that would make it easier for all of you all to decide whether something is wrong or not. What is wrong, should be the next step.
@bala80
This is the easiest way to convince them that something is wrong, though even that didnt work for me for the whole of last year as, my car was still giving a very prominent whoosh(still less than brand new) later down the rev range, and... it was still faster than most cars of comparable age and odo readings. Finally, after the turbo gave up completely, there was no dispute.
i'm glad it happened before the warranty ran out.
ask them to drive your car back to back with a brand new one.

I'm having an awfully hectic week, but will try my best to get some answers.
I really cant afford to kick up a fuss with the MASS because
1. they are very obliging
2. the GM of that MASS is a close friend
3. I want them to support my warranty claim.
so please give me some time, I will put up all the info I get, on this thread.
rippergeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2009, 22:08   #597
BHPian

ripper, hope you get a new turbo under warranty. Get your whoosh back, soon
srijit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2009, 11:08   #598
Team-BHP Support

Red face 100 short of 30K, quick update

Action included, going sideways in slush to jumping over multiple camel bumps at 60 kph

The car has been behaving well since last check up at 25k kms. Did up and down blast to kannur over the weekend, and for the kind of torture the car was put through it has held up well. Only causality being the additional horn clamp point (original ABS clamp) had a slight tear, and in my attempt to shove it back in, i tore it off completely!! Similar thing had happened to me in my zen also!

"TheUncle" had a nice tool kit waiting for action and 1 hour of wrestling and i managed to find a new spot for the clamp to hold, this time the sheet is of higher grade and hope it will hold for good. Had to twist one of the horn clamp by 60 deg so that it doesnt touch the bonnet stick thingie, when its put back into the clips.

As usual the power surge got better as soon as i did the first 100 kms of highway and more difference is felt as soon as the air temp goes down (early morn drive with slight drizzle and the car was wheel spinning to glory in 2nd ), no wonder the CAI is fitted in the stock air filter box.

This car hates hot climate, this is for sure. Guys with green cotton and all, please route the pipe to outside or you will kill the performance, otherwise stick to replacement filter.

Before the onward journey i went to IOC pump on ORR near HSR to check air and was surprised, instead of increasing the PSI, reading was on higher side and was deflating the tire. Didnt seem quite right, so i asked him to put 38 and 36 for F/R.

Ride felt on the softer side, and as soon as i reached kamat could notice the difference in tire wear. Anyways continued to Kannur and FE was at 17-18 kmpl!! Checked the air pressure next day at Kannur and the 38 psi was 31 and 36 at 30! Filled her up back to 34/32. Did a trip to Calicut and back from Kannur, with about 90% ripping (read as 3000+ rpm through out) and 10% at 50 kph (we arrived early and had to kill time!). Mileage returned 22.8 kmpl.

EDIT: Car was loaded to hilt with luggage and 3 people on board for the onward journey. To calicut only 2 people and return just me.

Return trip from Kannur, odo @ more than 450 kms and guage at half mark, maybe an mm on lower side.

So moral of this short update:
  1. When maruti says air pressure, they mean it. Keep it proper esp if you are going wide with tire size.
  2. Take the car out for occasional long runs over weekends, it needs it! to clear its throat
  3. Summer dirve in city will show drop in woosh, like it or not Maruti.

This weekend another round trip to Kannur and back, should see the odo at 31k kms range and then its time for some work! (No viddy this is nothing to do with reliability, more to do with abuse on NO roads situation).
  • Front suspension needs attention, planning to go for strut kit overhaul (never did it at 20K, now i think i should have). The abuse the car has seen in last 30k kms is not silly. I think my car has fallen in all the craters in south india by now lol
  • Change the bush kit if needed, including balance rod bush etc. Ok for a normal owner, this is not needed and whatever difference, might not be felt while driving he he
  • Usual engine flush and oil change
  • Usual air filter change, this is unscheduled change according to Maruti
  • Rattle sanity check, though this time its not the doors and more to do with my spare wheel and rear speaker plank.
  • See if the additional horn can be kept inside bumper/fix a louder bosch/roots or something for the highways

Last edited by Jaggu : 21st April 2009 at 11:21.
Old 23rd April 2009, 16:43   #599
BHPian

Guys,

do any of you have a whitish residue collecting in front of the battery in your Swift VDi? I had asked this question to the MASS guys but they remarked it was normal. This collects on the battery plate on which the battery sits.

Asked a battery guy here and he said it's not and asked me to bring in the car for a checkup. Talked about excessive gassing ...not sure what he meant by that. Will update once I get it checked out by him.

Also I cleaned my air filter over the weekend (after 10K) and the engine seems more responsive especially at low revs. The was a lot of dust and stuff. The turbo whistle also seemed to kick in a bit earlier.

Drive on,
Shibu.
shibujp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2009, 17:25   #600
Team-BHP Support

Your battery is leaking/gas, first check the caps if they are properly shut and the rubber o rings is in proper shape. Maybe a good idea to bring it to notice of your dealer.

Also remove the clamp and wash it thoroughly with plain water, of there is rust ensure you do some rust treatment and painting.

If the leakage starts corroding the positive terminal its trouble since it holds a slightly complicated connector fuse link, compared to other cars.