Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 24th November 2009, 16:52   #991
BHPian

Default Uneven Tyre wear

Hi Guys,

The front left tyre of my car seems to be wearing off faster and unevenly compared to the other three.
The wheels have been balanced and aligned more than once and at different tyre shops just to make sure. I also asked MASS to check the suspension, they say it's just fine and can be overhauled during the next service. Any idea what could this issue be?

-Thanks
anshurao is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2009, 11:46   #992
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1fan View Post
I did my 15K service at Vitesse, Mumbai a couple of weeks back for my Dzire VDi.
The total came to 1970. Breakup is as follows:
1. Oil - Mobil 3.1L - Rs. 666
2. Oil Filter - Rs. 333
3. Paid Service - Approx 750 Rs
4. Windshield Shampoo Sachet - Approx Rs. 13

Rest all were taxes to our dear goverment
Didnt have any issues apart from some rattles near both the B pillars which was primptly fixed but have come back again
This is out of turn service. why? Maruti recommends 10K kms service intervals. If you believe you need a change of engine oil just get the oil/filter changed. costs half the amount that you spent.
DieselFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2009, 13:48   #993
BHPian

This is regarding the dealer not letting me put Mobil Delvac MX during the 1st service. Instead they used Shell, the so called Maruti Certified engine oil.

I did call the maruti cust care no. to file a complaint regarding this during the first service of my swift VDi. But the cust care executive told me that the authorized workshops will only use the maruti certified engine oils. In a way she meant that Maruti only certifies the stock that the maruti dealer/workshops have. Now how do I check that Shell is the so called maruti certified and Delvac isnt? The specifications of Delvac would be at par in fact better than Shell or for that matter any other oil.

On the other hand the dealer (DD Motors Peeragarhi) does have the so called CERTIFIED Mobil1 (synthetic) and is also very much happy and eager to use it during services.

I've done 2800 kms on the ODO and I will be due for the 2nd free service in a month's time. Guys is there a way out for this???
Manu0611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2009, 14:24   #994
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselFan View Post
This is out of turn service. why? Maruti recommends 10K kms service intervals. If you believe you need a change of engine oil just get the oil/filter changed. costs half the amount that you spent.
Out of turn servicing bcos of Team BHP where I have read that it is good to change oils at 5K interval instead of 10K. The oil change surely does make the car feel refreshed.
Why Vitesse, bcos I wanted the peace of mind that they would also check everything else as part of paid service.
But that said, I surely would also try doing the same outside for my next out of turn oil change (i.e. at 25K Kms) and then decide where/how to do these adhoc oil changes.
f1fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2009, 21:50   #995
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by anshurao View Post
Hi Guys,

The front left tyre of my car seems to be wearing off faster and unevenly compared to the other three.
The wheels have been balanced and aligned more than once and at different tyre shops just to make sure. I also asked MASS to check the suspension, they say it's just fine and can be overhauled during the next service. Any idea what could this issue be?

-Thanks
How are the alignment reading (within normal limits) and did you try rotating the tire to see if its a tire specific issue?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manu0611 View Post
This is regarding the dealer not letting me put Mobil Delvac MX during the 1st service. Instead they used Shell, the so called Maruti Certified engine oil.
============
On the other hand the dealer (DD Motors Peeragarhi) does have the so called CERTIFIED Mobil1 (synthetic) and is also very much happy and eager to use it during services.

I've done 2800 kms on the ODO and I will be due for the 2nd free service in a month's time. Guys is there a way out for this???
Mobil 1 as far as i know is NOT a MUL certified oil. Simplest way to sort your problem find another more customer friendly M.A.S.S

MUL is too big to listen to us customers on this matter, so to hell with em.
Jaggu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2009, 00:27   #996
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
How are the alignment reading (within normal limits) and did you try rotating the tire to see if its a tire specific issue?

Alignment readings were within the limits, did a tyre rotation as well and the new tyre started wearing out. So now i have semi bald tyres on the left of the car. Am running on Yokohama S Drives.
Old 26th November 2009, 11:09   #997
BHPian

Quote:
Mobil 1 as far as i know is NOT a MUL certified oil. Simplest way to sort your problem find another more customer friendly M.A.S.S
Can I use Mobil 1 for the 2nd service oil change? Is it advisable?
I remember that it was not advised during the 1st one.
Manu0611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2009, 12:54   #998
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by anshurao View Post
Alignment readings were within the limits, did a tyre rotation as well and the new tyre started wearing out. So now i have semi bald tyres on the left of the car. Am running on Yokohama S Drives.
What size are the tires and are the alloys according to specs of the car?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manu0611 View Post
Can I use Mobil 1 for the 2nd service oil change? Is it advisable?
I remember that it was not advised during the 1st one.
I would advice you not to use Mobil 1 since its not the right oil for diesel engines and havent given great results to people who have tried it on DDIS. Do a search and lot of discussion has happened regarding this.
Old 26th November 2009, 15:38   #999
BHPian

Quote:
What size are the tires and are the alloys according to specs of the car?
I am using 205/55 R15 on 6.5J Lenso Samurai. Tyres have run evenly for Last 30K Kms. This wear is observed during the last 2-3K kms. There wasn't any such issue before this. I know S Drives have faster wear, however the tyres on the right have very deep grooves. Where as the tyres on the left have the tread wear indicators out. I am not sure what could this be, wheel alignment and balancing have always been done at 5K Km interval. I just wanted to be sure to rectify this problem before changing to a new set of tyres.

Last edited by anshurao : 26th November 2009 at 15:41.
Old 26th November 2009, 15:57   #1000
Team-BHP Support

IMHO next time dont go for 205 its totally useless on an Indian swift, apart from looks.

Check all alignment readings, including camber and caster angles, if they are within the limits. This should give you the source of alignment issue.
Old 26th November 2009, 16:02   #1001
BHPian

Quote:
IMHO next time dont go for 205 its totally useless on an Indian swift, apart from looks.

Check all alignment readings, including camber and caster angles, if they are within the limits. This should give you the source of alignment issue.

Actually I wanted to downsize, but have a brand new 205 as a spare wheel don't know what to do with it. Will probably buy 195/60 this time.

I don't have the alignment data with me, will get it done again and ask for the data this time around.

Thanks
Old 27th November 2009, 10:01   #1002
Team-BHP Support

Keep the spare as it is for only emergency spare duty and rest downsize.
Old 27th November 2009, 12:41   #1003
BHPian

Hi Jaggu,
Was reading your suggestion abt downsizing, I have actually booked a swift VDI (non ABS). I have decided to change my stock tyres based on advice from some of my friends and from various Team BHP posts. I was looking at 195/70/14 or 195/65/14 from Bridgestone or Michelin, but drove the cars of couple of my friends and found the steering to be hard at low speeds. My wife will also be driving the car occasionally so I thought it wouldn’t suite her at all. Should I go for the Bridgestone or Michelin 185/70 R14, searched around the blogs in Team BHP quite a bit and never got a definitive answer?
Any suggestions?
raghavanrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2009, 12:53   #1004
Team-BHP Support

Go with 185/70/14 will suite your requirements to a T, and you will have more choice of tire brands and make. Since swift has a EPS steering will not become that heavy if you upsize, atleast i dont feel that. It still feels too light compared to many other cars i drive/driven.
Old 27th November 2009, 13:19   #1005
Team-BHP Support

Anshurao,

That uneven wear is almost certainly due to incorrect camber. Unfortunately, the Swift comes with fixed camber and therefore regular adjustment of that is ruled out. The 2 options available are:

1. Go to Basha Wheel Alignment - near Thom's Bakery. Meet with the gentlemen called Aman Basha (9342828093 - dont know if its obsolete)- and he'll have your front left suspension removed and centered to take care of the problem. No references needed.

OR

2. Replace that front left suspension with a new piece from Maruti.

I had a similar problem of uneven wear on both my left tyres- they were wearing out only on the outside while the right-side tyres were fine. Maruti did a thorough (as much as their capabilities allowed) checkup of the suspension and couldnt find the reason. Nor did regular wheel alignment centers.

This took care of the issue permanently. Vasu of SAG put me onto Aman Basha.

Last edited by theMAG : 27th November 2009 at 13:22.
theMAG is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote