Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 14th January 2010, 11:01   #1096

Default clutch assembly replaced !

hi all

i have a swift vdi run 19k. faced sever clutch juddering issue last week on the 1st and reverse gear. I was on the highway and this happened after i stopped for breakfast. i also noticed that if i accelerate on gear 1 the juddering seams to dissappear (atleast camaflouge). after an hour of driving i encountered another problem, i wasnt able to shift into 3rd and 4th. I called my service engg in mandovi wilson garden and told him about the problem and he said that the clutch assembly needs to be replaced and is not covered under warranty. my blood began to boil and i started looking for bhpians who have managed to get a replacement.

i then got back to bangalore the next day and wrote a long mail to the service manager of mandovi and in a day he responded saying that Maruti has approved replacement on goodwill basis.

my case doesnt end here. i dropped my car off at mandovi and they promise to deliver it back to me by end of day. instead i get a call saying that the mechanic broke the coolant hose which changing the assembly and they need to replace that as well. i give them 6 hours more to do that and then i get a call saying that there is no stock of the coolant hose in bangalore or in karnataka or in tamilnadu or in AP!

i went back to mandovi totally upset about the issue. the mechanic breaking the hose by mistake - human error is ok with me, but the fact that there isnt any stock in south india is very very shocking. i was even told that they tried to replace a hose from their standby car but that too was leaking.

as of now, i am in distress waiting to hear from them. they are expecting the part to be flown down in 3 days time but until then i wud have to wait :(

Last edited by Jaggu : 14th January 2010 at 16:05. Reason: 2 smilies per post please
abishekkalro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2010, 16:06   #1097
Team-BHP Support

@abishekkalro: sorry to hear the news, was there any earlier symptoms of clutch jerking or was this sudden? Wonder why MUL cant find an upgrade for the clutch!
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2010, 14:31   #1098

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
@abishekkalro: sorry to hear the news, was there any earlier symptoms of clutch jerking or was this sudden? Wonder why MUL cant find an upgrade for the clutch!

it was all of a sudden and a very very scary judder !

im quite cut up with MUL for not having the coolant hose in stock. i dont know whether to cajole them quickly order it or to be harsh on them - problem is if im harsh they might not oblige a replacement in future
Old 15th January 2010, 22:40   #1099
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abishekkalro View Post
i give them 6 hours more to do that and then i get a call saying that there is no stock of the coolant hose in bangalore or in karnataka or in tamilnadu or in AP!

i went back to mandovi totally upset about the issue. the mechanic breaking the hose by mistake - human error is ok with me, but the fact that there isnt any stock in south india is very very shocking. i was even told that they tried to replace a hose from their standby car but that too was leaking.
This is just to buy time from you. I had to get my car towed 2 weeks back because some rats cut the coolant hose and all the coolant had leaked out. The car was towed by Maruti On Road Service to Bimal Motors in whitefield and they had the coolant pipe in stock. They replaced it in just 45 minutes! I would suggest you call Maruti Regional Office in Bangalore directly and have a talk!
mtnrajdeep is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2010, 16:59   #1100

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnrajdeep View Post
This is just to buy time from you. I had to get my car towed 2 weeks back because some rats cut the coolant hose and all the coolant had leaked out. The car was towed by Maruti On Road Service to Bimal Motors in whitefield and they had the coolant pipe in stock. They replaced it in just 45 minutes! I would suggest you call Maruti Regional Office in Bangalore directly and have a talk!
Was always under the impression that Mandovi's service was impeccable but today i change my opinion - it is the worst service across industries across countries.

Got into a major verbal spat with the Service Manager - Mr. Ashokan of Mandovi Wilson Garden. I was told that the coolant hose (which they have damaged while replacing the clutch assembly) is on its way to bangalore by courier and would reach by Sat. And today he is on leave and says "i dont know". I then call the service engg, he says "i dont know". i call the customer relationship manager - "i am in a meeting" . i am unable to get through to Mr. Basant Kumar Patil who is Maruti Regional service manager. I called that ashokan character and told him to deliver my car by 6pm on sat or i go legal against them on monday morning. He replies in a harsh tone saying do not threaten, we are not responsible for the part not being available. You can take the vehicle as it is. I tell him to tow it to my house and park it there.

I was blowing fire and i called the service engg - Karthik (he has been very helpful throughout) and he said that the part has been delivered in Yashwanthpur and he is going personally to collect and will deliver the car at 7pm. Nonetheless - this ashokan is going to have a peace of my mind when he is back from his holiday.. now i hope that i get my car.

Wanted to know from bhpians - what happens if i refuse to take delivery of my car and send a legal notice to them for damaging parts of my car and refusing timely delivery and causing mental strain ??
(by the way - if you read the reverse of the jobsheet it says that if u fail to collect the car within 24 hrs there is some rental charged !!)
Old 17th January 2010, 11:21   #1101
BHPian

Just email the maruti service head. His name should be there in one of the feedback cards that you would have received or in the car manual feedback list. Then see these guys dance to your tune!!!

Alternatively, just call up bimal and ask them if they have this pipe in stock by saying that your car has a problem and you are deciding between taking it to them or Mandovi depending on their response.

Last edited by mtnrajdeep : 17th January 2010 at 11:22.
mtnrajdeep is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2010, 10:23   #1102
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Got into a major verbal spat with the Service Manager - Mr. Ashokan of Mandovi Wilson Garden.
Sorry to hear about your plight. i used to be a regular to this svs station in the 90s and stopped going there for the past 7-8 years or so because their service quality deteriorated. Moving the legal way is the right way to go but only after you lodge a complaint against this errant service advisor with MUL.
gpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2010, 12:01   #1103
BHPian

Hello friends,
I was just going through the 'Inspection and Maintenance' section of My VDI's owners manual and under 'Engine' 1-13. I found 'Exhaust Gas Recirculation Valve' Cleaning has to be done at 30K and 60K, I'm not sure I've done the same to my car on 30K service. Now my car is nearing 60K. Anybody done this to your car at 30k or 60k. Is this the same 'Intercooler Cleaning' many of you already mentioned in this thread?
With regards,
Biju
BijuPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2010, 14:27   #1104
BHPian

Default Wipers

Guys - where can i buy a good set of Wipers for my Swift? which is the suggested brand? The OEM wiper really sucks and i wanna change it asap.

thanks.
NFS2024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2010, 15:28   #1105
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFS2024 View Post
Guys - where can i buy a good set of Wipers for my Swift? which is the suggested brand? The OEM wiper really sucks and i wanna change it asap.

thanks.
Recently got a pair of Bosch wipers from JC Road, and looks good. didn't had rain after that, but normal use of cleaning makes me feel better than stock ones.
sriturl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2010, 16:44   #1106
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BijuPaul View Post
Hello friends,
I was just going through the 'Inspection and Maintenance' section of My VDI's owners manual and under 'Engine' 1-13. I found 'Exhaust Gas Recirculation Valve' Cleaning has to be done at 30K and 60K, I'm not sure I've done the same to my car on 30K service. Now my car is nearing 60K. Anybody done this to your car at 30k or 60k. Is this the same 'Intercooler Cleaning' many of you already mentioned in this thread?
With regards,
Biju
EGR and intercooler are two different components. EGR valve cleaning is recommended every 30 K kms and the manual doesn't talk of any periodic Intercooler cleaning. When the car's turbo gets less effective one of the reasons is oil in intercooler which need to be cleaned.
DieselFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2010, 18:20   #1107
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by BijuPaul View Post
Anybody done this to your car at 30k or 60k. Is this the same 'Intercooler Cleaning' many of you already mentioned in this thread?
With regards,
Biju
Nope EGR is different from intercooler. I never bothered to check the list and haven't done the job at 30k, so this time 40k i plan to do the EGR cleaning done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFS2024 View Post

thanks.
I tried regular bosh blades but unfortunately it didnt last as long as the OE blade good thing is a pair comes for 300-350 bucks where as OE they charged 270 for 1 blade! Maybe it has to do with the curved glass also that blades become ineffective.

Apparently Bosh Aerotwins come with great feedback, they are expensive but i think ill go ahead and change to those before next rainy season.

Note to self: Start noting down points for 40k service, including instruction NOT to change the lone Bosch blade. 100 kms or so for 40k mark for Snowhite.

Last edited by Jaggu : 18th January 2010 at 18:21.
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2010, 21:32   #1108
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselFan View Post
EGR and intercooler are two different components. EGR valve cleaning is recommended every 30 K kms and the manual doesn't talk of any periodic Intercooler cleaning. When the car's turbo gets less effective one of the reasons is oil in intercooler which need to be cleaned.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Nope EGR is different from intercooler. I never bothered to check the list and haven't done the job at 30k, so this time 40k i plan to do the EGR cleaning done.
Thank you friends,
So I'll be doing the EGR Cleaning on my 60K service, not decided for the intercooler cleaning, even though my car lost its 'take off' kind of surge since its 10K service, Its more of a linear kind of power delivery, but comfortable.
With regular 5 days a week 90 km/day drive, FE is around 20.5 km/L with 40% city and 60% on typical Kerala State Highway.(I know, less turbo in action more will be the FE).
with regards,
Biju
BijuPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2010, 11:49   #1109

Got back my car on sunday with the gear assmbly replaced under warranty and the coolant hose replaced for free (as the mechanic had damaged it) dint pay anything and car seems to be fine now.

Havent got to hear from the service manager after he has been rude. will be emailing a feedback to everyone I know in Maruti. Gifted a deo-set to the service engg for coming on sunday and working to ensure my car is delivered.

My car is due for 20k service in a week and also got some tinkering work to be done. But i dont think I want to go back to Wilson Garden Mandovi MASS. Could you guys please suggest the best MASS i could go to. I stay in Koramangala and the ones i know in my vicinity are Sagar Automobile in B'ghatta road and RNS in Hosur Road (incovenient).

Thanks
Old 19th January 2010, 13:48   #1110
BHPian

Quote:
My car is due for 20k service in a week and also got some tinkering work to be done. But i dont think I want to go back to Wilson Garden Mandovi MASS. Could you guys please suggest the best MASS i could go to. I stay in Koramangala and the ones i know in my vicinity are Sagar Automobile in B'ghatta road and RNS in Hosur Road (incovenient).

Thanks
Heard good reviews about Suraksha in audugodi and E-city on this forum. possibly worth a try.
Also heard good reviews about green cars in koramangala.
sriturl is online now   Reply With Quote