Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 5th August 2010, 18:21   #1396
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Thad E Ginathom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 7,049
Thanked: 5,326 Times
Default

Ha! I just let them change mine, at three years.

I know I should have checked out the forum, and shopped around, and I probably got a bad deal, but it was easier to just let them do it. Path of least resistance.

There should be no need to change the battery just because of its age. They should test it.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2010, 21:46   #1397
BHPian
 
asethi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 372
Thanked: 39 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arvind Sharma View Post
Hey Friends,

Can anyone guide me in making sure that my swift battery needs to be changed or not?....my swift VDI is now 2 yrs old and has done 42000kms.....i started facing one problem in which the immobilizer sign stays on even after starting the engine.....the dealer says the battery needs to be changed after every 2 yrs....is it true? or something else needs to be taken care of.....also guide me how much should be the ideal cost of an exide battery..for swift VDI?...thanks in advance
Do get the car checked at some other service center, maybe just an ECU reset needs to be done.
Mine VDi is almost 3yrd old with 50K+ kms on the odo, and still no problem with the battery! Does your car show any signs of load on the battery, like starting trouble, headlight dimming while using horn or playing music?
asethi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2010, 09:27   #1398
Senior - BHPian
 
DieselFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,550
Thanked: 182 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by asethi View Post
Do get the car checked at some other service center, maybe just an ECU reset needs to be done.
Mine VDi is almost 3yrd old with 50K+ kms on the odo, and still no problem with the battery! Does your car show any signs of load on the battery, like starting trouble, headlight dimming while using horn or playing music?
Each Maruti dealer should have a battery validation device. Please ask him to run diagnostic check on your battery using the same. If your dealer doesn't have it please approach Kalyani motors. They have it. Once they validate the same you can either get the battery changed from them (They have Amaron pro) or from any other battery dealer.
DieselFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2010, 20:33   #1399
BHPian
 
Gautam Misra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Bhubaneshwar
Posts: 220
Thanked: 23 Times
Default 20,000 Km Service

Went for the 4th service for the SWIFT D. The following are the details of the expenses-

(i) Engine Oil 3.1 litres - Rs.592

(ii) Gear Oil - Shell - 2.5 litres - Rs.811

(iii) Oil Filter - Rs.334

(iv) Coolant (2) - Rs.417

(v) Brake Fluid - Rs.266

(vi) Grease - Rs.46

(vii) Other Misc- Rs.53

(viii) Labour - Rs.1150

(ix) Engine Flush - Rs.600


The driver was not allowed to go near the car and I am not sure how the things would have been done
Gautam Misra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2010, 20:48   #1400
Team-BHP Support
 
Eddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Delhi
Posts: 6,986
Thanked: 3,788 Times
Default

The diesel filter should also have been changed. 1100 odd rupees.
Eddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2010, 20:51   #1401
BHPian
 
f1fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 692
Thanked: 41 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gautam Misra View Post
Went for the 4th service for the SWIFT D. The following are the details of the expenses-

(i) Engine Oil 3.1 litres - Rs.592

(ii) Gear Oil - Shell - 2.5 litres - Rs.811

(iii) Oil Filter - Rs.334

(iv) Coolant (2) - Rs.417

(v) Brake Fluid - Rs.266

(vi) Grease - Rs.46

(vii) Other Misc- Rs.53

(viii) Labour - Rs.1150

(ix) Engine Flush - Rs.600


The driver was not allowed to go near the car and I am not sure how the things would have been done
Any idea what engine oil was used? Rs 592 for oil looks like Servo was used instead of Mobil 1 which would cost approx Rs.700. I believe Mobil is better than servo.

Labour charges I believe is Service charges which I feel is a little steep. In Mumbai we pay approx 850 for a paid service.

Also is a engine flush required at 20K? I dont recollect doing anything like than in my car till now (approx 27K)

Everything else looks correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
The diesel filter should also have been changed. 1100 odd rupees.
+1 to that. The Diesel filter should have been changed at 20K. Also the existing Air filter should be changed at 20K if not earlier.

Last edited by f1fan : 7th August 2010 at 20:58.
f1fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2010, 06:23   #1402
BHPian
 
Gautam Misra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Bhubaneshwar
Posts: 220
Thanked: 23 Times
Default

@ f1-

Query Re: filter - The bill says element oil filter - 1 - Rs.334

Query Re: Gear Oil - The bill says Shell was used 2.5 litres - Cost Rs.811

Query Re: Service Charges - Rs.650 -paid service
Rs.500- Disc Brakes cleaning
Rs.600-Engine Flush - This was separately billed
(apparently done by an outside Co.)

@ Eddy / f1- Is Maruti, the company known for its after sales taking me for a ride?
Gautam Misra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2010, 11:02   #1403
Team-BHP Support
 
Eddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Delhi
Posts: 6,986
Thanked: 3,788 Times
Default

500 Rs for disc brake cleaning is a definite overkill. Engine flush also could have been avoided but the price for it is fine. Just remember and do not get it done for at least 30k kms more, if you get your oil changed regularly.

Diesel filter should definitely have been changed. I also notice that the air filter is not included. Please speak to the MASS / SA and get these done. And do not pay any extra labour charge for this.
Future advice: It helps if you also cross check SA advice with the service manual. All these changes would be listed there.
Eddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2010, 20:04   #1404
vsh
BHPian
 
vsh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: sirsi
Posts: 102
Thanked: 9 Times
Default

hi
my dzire vdi is making a humming sound. the sound is coming from engine bay i think. it started after water service done yesterday. any idea?
vsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2010, 20:24   #1405
BHPian
 
f1fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 692
Thanked: 41 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gautam Misra View Post
@ f1-

Query Re: filter - The bill says element oil filter - 1 - Rs.334

Query Re: Gear Oil - The bill says Shell was used 2.5 litres - Cost Rs.811

Query Re: Service Charges - Rs.650 -paid service
Rs.500- Disc Brakes cleaning
Rs.600-Engine Flush - This was separately billed
(apparently done by an outside Co.)

@ Eddy / f1- Is Maruti, the company known for its after sales taking me for a ride?
As Eddy mentioned, Disc brakes cleaning is a little on the high side and if you do oil changes at 5K (which I do and maybe is the reason why the same was never recommended to me) then engine flush is not required.

Regarding taking you for a ride, pls note that they i.e. the dealer will do the same if you give them the chance . Do look at the service manual on what is required to be changed/lubed and say no if anything additional is recommened by them. For e.g. I was told that A/C servicing is recommended at 25K. I sternly told them that everything was fine and hence dont touch the A/C.

I generally refer to this same very thread before going for service. This gives me a fair idea on what all needs to be changed at what interval and what the same costs.

Thanks to everyone who pitch in with here their service details/costs

Last edited by f1fan : 10th August 2010 at 20:27.
f1fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2010, 23:50   #1406
BHPian
 
asethi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 372
Thanked: 39 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gautam Misra View Post
@ f1-

Query Re: filter - The bill says element oil filter - 1 - Rs.334

Query Re: Gear Oil - The bill says Shell was used 2.5 litres - Cost Rs.811

Query Re: Service Charges - Rs.650 -paid service
Rs.500- Disc Brakes cleaning
Rs.600-Engine Flush - This was separately billed
(apparently done by an outside Co.)

@ Eddy / f1- Is Maruti, the company known for its after sales taking me for a ride?
Gautam, 650 is really too much for just disk brake cleaning. My both brakes (front disc and rear drum) costed Rs. 165 & 135, respectively at MASS in Bangalore!
And my car is 51K+ on odo, and still no engine flush required. Never go by the dealer's recommendation, you know your car better. Check the service manual and refer to T-Bhp, you should have all the required info and just don't blindly follow what these SAs say!
asethi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2010, 10:57   #1407
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Delhi
Posts: 308
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Ok Guys am back to bug again with queries , its been 2 weeks and 820 km's to be precise on my new swift LDI and I still have not felt that kick of famous turbo which everyone talks about. I do not push the accelerator very hard and just drive in these up-shifts:
0-10 >>> 1st Gear
10-25 >>> 2nd Gear
25 - 40 >>> 3rd Gear
40 - 60 >>> 4th Gear
60 & on >>> 5th Gear

Please tell me if I am driving very slow, really do not know what RPM's the car is driving under the above mentioned gearshift pattern.

1. So my question is what should be the ideal speed at which one should up-shift gears to feel the turbo kick?
2. Under which gear the maximum turbo could be felt and at what speed the car would be under that circumstance.

In the last 820 km's I've got avg of 15km/ltr for first fill (not tank full) and then 17km/ltr on second refill of Rs 500 diesel. AC was on 90% time with dead slow delhi city traffic for 60% driving.

Hope experts would give me some more gyan on trubo kick.
sameer551 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2010, 11:07   #1408
Senior - BHPian
 
fine69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 1,304
Thanked: 717 Times
Default

Quote:
0-10 >>> 1st Gear
10-25 >>> 2nd Gear
25 - 40 >>> 3rd Gear
40 - 60 >>> 4th Gear
60 & on >>> 5th Gear
mine were:
0-10 - 1st
15-20 - 2nd
25-30 - 3rd
35-40 - 4th
50-55 - 5th

Quote:
Please tell me if I am driving very slow, really do not know what RPM's the car is driving under the above mentioned gearshift pattern.
you are completely ok, not lugging the car at all

Quote:
1. So my question is what should be the ideal speed at which one should up-shift gears to feel the turbo kick?
speed-rpm figures was something that even i wanted but never got 'em nevertheless I don't push my Ldi too much at 1st and 2nd gear (have never allowed turbo to kick in in the 1st gear, a few times when my patience ran out at slow speeds I floored the car on 2nd and the turbo did the job)

Quote:
2. Under which gear the maximum turbo could be felt and at what speed the car would be under that circumstance.
3rd gear is the best to enjoy turbo and if you push it a little the turbo carries over to 4th and 5th the feeling is awesome!

Quote:
In the last 820 km's I've got avg of 15km/ltr for first fill (not tank full) and then 17km/ltr on second refill of Rs 500 diesel. AC was on 90% time with dead slow delhi city traffic for 60% driving.
I got a mileage of 16.3 in the first 500 kms and 18.1 from 500-1000 kms with 100% time AC on and total city conditions (delhi traffic) so u aren't doing too bad either

just to add - my Ldi is 9 weeks old and warming up at 4400 kms

Last edited by fine69 : 11th August 2010 at 11:17.
fine69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2010, 14:41   #1409
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: thane
Posts: 741
Thanked: 5 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameer551 View Post
Ok Guys am back to bug again with queries , its been 2 weeks and 820 km's to be precise on my new swift LDI and I still have not felt that kick of famous turbo which everyone talks about. I do not push the accelerator very hard and just drive in these up-shifts:
0-10 >>> 1st Gear
10-25 >>> 2nd Gear
25 - 40 >>> 3rd Gear
40 - 60 >>> 4th Gear
60 & on >>> 5th Gear

Please tell me if I am driving very slow, really do not know what RPM's the car is driving under the above mentioned gearshift pattern.

1. So my question is what should be the ideal speed at which one should up-shift gears to feel the turbo kick?
2. Under which gear the maximum turbo could be felt and at what speed the car would be under that circumstance.

In the last 820 km's I've got avg of 15km/ltr for first fill (not tank full) and then 17km/ltr on second refill of Rs 500 diesel. AC was on 90% time with dead slow delhi city traffic for 60% driving.

Hope experts would give me some more gyan on trubo kick.
Hey sameer ...

Push the car to 40 -50kmph in 2nd gear and 70-80kmph in 3rd gear to feel the turbo kick.Also you need to be a bit aggressive on the accelerator to feel the kick.
shantyrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2010, 15:01   #1410
Senior - BHPian
 
fine69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 1,304
Thanked: 717 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shantyrocks View Post
Hey sameer ...

Push the car to 40 -50kmph in 2nd gear and 70-80kmph in 3rd gear to feel the turbo kick.Also you need to be a bit aggressive on the accelerator to feel the kick.
50 kmph in 2nd gear to feel the kick!!

The kick is felt earlier than that but I do not have the exact Speed to RPM figures. The turbo kick is not felt when the car is revving at high RPMs instead only when the turbo initially kicks in.
fine69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Skoda Superb - The Saga Continues. EDIT: 56,000 km update Hayek Long-Term Ownership Reviews 190 22nd December 2016 09:14
Chica Italiano dressed in White! the Saga Begins!!! (White Linea) Update: Now Sold ! Sunilrj Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 294 10th June 2012 07:24
Grande Punto, Red Emotion Pack Multijet Diesel 9000 km - 4 months - Saga continues SamtheLeo Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 54 12th February 2010 21:30
Honda Recalls 182,756 Civics Over Wheel-Bearing Leak Ashutosh The International Automotive Scene 11 18th September 2007 11:16


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 08:37.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks