Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 7th November 2007, 10:04   #1
BHPian

Thumbs up My Chevrolet Aveo 1.4LS. EDIT : 15000+ Kms up

Well, Recently i completed 5000kms on my Aveo 1.4 LS & i m lovin it.

I m going to discuss some facts about the same:

1. Drive Quality:

Well ya, you feel that the accelerator is irresponsive till the RPM is below 1500, but when the RPM needle crosses 1750RPM get ready for the drive of your live. It simply rocks.
People saying that it is not meant for drags, i can contradict them with utmost ease. Anyone Game. ? Rest everything is fine. The steering is quite light but as you gain on speed it becomes quite sturdy just like Opel.

Top Speed Achieved: 150 kmph on NH-1A (Just After Jalandher 6 lane Highway of 25 kms).
Highest FE: 15.77 on NH-1(Delhi-Jammu)
Highest Speed in City: 120kmph(Ring road, Delhi)
Highest FE in Delhi(10.75kmpl)

2. Noise Levels:
I have never sat in a Merc but i know this car can give damn competition to Mercs or even any other super luxury car in terms of Noise Levels inside the cabin. You can't really tell that whether the engine is running or not. Its so smooth without any vibes.

3. Gear Shift:
I have the older model i.e. April 2007 but still i dont think there are major issues with the gear stick. Maybe i am accustomed to using the Chevrolet or for that instance GM cars. But ya, from 2nd to 3rd it is a bit stodgy.

4. Exteriors:
You will gasp for air. No words to utter. Such a charismatic thing that i would leave my GF for her.

5. Interiors:
You will be gasping for more air. I might leave my home for cuddle seats.

6. FE:
This time round i might have to leave the world for filling her tummy. Well, i think its with me or all that she is giving me 10kmpl in city with A.C. on 3rd level with full cooling. At highways an impressive 15kmpl with Aircon running all time.
I sometimes think that i should have bought the 1.6 if she is also giving the same avg.

7. Ride Quality:
O man! she is amazing to ride too. Mushy seats at the back are so adorable & ya perfect for 2 adults plus one kid abt 15 odd. (3 adults has also been tried).

8. After Sales:
The people are great. got my first inspection at 1000kms done in just 2 hrs. Then second service(i.e. the first real service) at 4500kms(waise to 5000 thi) but jammu gaye the to karva li. The people were great. Took great care. Even bumper pe ek to jagah scratch the(due to Delhi traffic Parking) they asked if we want to get it touched up & they just did an extremely perfect job. Sorry mods, if it is not the right place but i thought that it relates to the same.

Overall, a great package. I give her 4.25 stars on 5.

OTR: Rs. 6.30L
Odo: 5597km
Purchase: 25th April 2007
ICE : Stock Kenwood Head
Speakers: Stcok
Alloys: Planning for Aura 14''.(Getting a quote of 13,500 for set of 5 with bill)
Rubber: 185/60 R 14Turanza Bridgestone.

varun.ppl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2007, 17:19   #2

Default aveo

good to know about the car. I recently bought the Aveo 1.4 LS limited edition.

Raj, Bangalore
rajeevmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2007, 17:57   #3
BHPian

Default Aveo 1.4

i also brought avo 2 months back, it has now done 4600 kms , i agree with your comments on mileage, interiors and exteriors. i have black colour , what colour you have.

i would like to mention here the suspension of aveo, it's really good. Mine also giving the same mileage which you spoke off. i have sony xplod music system and gives decent sound.

till now touched 120kmp in bangalore -mysore highway. if u roll up the windows and do a speed of 100 kmp , your co passengers will never know that u r driving in such a speed.

AC: when ac is on the pick up drops which is sad.

recently i went through a bad (i will say horrible) stretch of 30 kms , which took me 2 hr 30 minutes to cross, i am glad to say aveo stand up very well, i thought some major damage will be done by looking at the roads, but it pulled up nicely , can you believe it for 30 kms i was in 1st gear with a speed less than 10 kms.

1) Should i go for my first servicing or wait till 5k kms ?
madaboutCARS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2007, 19:18   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madaboutCARS View Post
till now touched 120kmp in bangalore -mysore highway. if u roll up the windows and do a speed of 100 kmp , your co passengers will never know that u r driving in such a speed.

recently i went through a bad (i will say horrible) stretch of 30 kms , which took me 2 hr 30 minutes to cross, i am glad to say aveo stand up very well, i thought some major damage will be done by looking at the roads, but it pulled up nicely , can you believe it for 30 kms i was in 1st gear with a speed less than 10 kms.

Good to see almost every owner is enjoying their Aveos

Hey, 1st service is at 1000 KMs, isn't it? 2nd service is at 5000 KMs. It is high time you get the 1st service done !
Indian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2007, 11:14   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian View Post
Good to see almost every owner is enjoying their Aveos

Hey, 1st service is at 1000 KMs, isn't it? 2nd service is at 5000 KMs. It is high time you get the 1st service done !
On 1st 1000 km they are doing a check up. The actual first service is at
5000 km.
kavu75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2007, 20:09   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madaboutCARS View Post

Well bro! never felt like that. Ya, there is a bit of power lag but i dont think its that much.

O man! it must have been really a horrible drive. Congrats man.

Regarding the service, well if u r free rite now u can get it serviced but looking at your driving i think u r going to crank up those 400kms in a couple of days.

Happpy Drivin Man!
varun.ppl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2007, 21:50   #7
BHPian

Default aveo

yeah i eager to complete 5k , but i think there is no long weekend nearby to go out for a drive, so i think i will give it up for servicing, december if we take 24th leave than we can get 4 days.
still figuring out where to go, i have been reading the travelogs, but finding people complaing about roads for every destination .
my options are very staright , wherever i go 80 to 90 % road should be motorable . after kannur (kerela) horrific experience of bad roads both me and my wife are shaken, we are still getting nightmares.
i think pondicherry or kynakumari will be good option to visit . let see whats on the card....
madaboutCARS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2007, 23:41   #8
Senior - BHPian

Guys,

This seems to be the most active Aveo thread as of now so will post my query here.

I have a July 2007 Aveo Base and am exploring options to upgrade the stock Goodyear 185/60/R14 tyres to a fatter version, maybe 195 or 205.

Has anyone done this and if so, which brand to go for? The highly recommended ones are Michelin XM1, Michelin Pilot Preceda 2, Yokohama ES100, Bridgestone Turanza ERs or Bridgestone Potenzas. Any help would be highly appreciated!

Thanks,
itwasntme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2007, 00:30   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
I have a July 2007 Aveo Base and am exploring options to upgrade the stock Goodyear 185/60/R14 tyres to a fatter version, maybe 195 or 205.

Has anyone done this and if so, which brand to go for? The highly recommended ones are Michelin XM1, Michelin Pilot Preceda 2, Yokohama ES100, Bridgestone Turanza ERs or Bridgestone Potenzas. Any help would be highly appreciated!

Thanks,
U can get 195/60-14 tyres for Aveo.
ES100 Rs 3300 per tyre
XM1 Rs 3600 per tyre
Pilot preceda - Rs 4200 per tyre.
kpzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2007, 12:52   #10
Senior - BHPian

Default 205s? ES100 vs PP1

Hi kpzen,

I had really hoped that a TBHP expert (!) like you would respond .

Some questions:
  1. Is it worth paying Rs. 900 extra for the PP when compared to the ES100? This is all the more important because (as per the Michelin India site) the 195s are the older generation PPs and not PP2s. I am confused about paying more for a tyre being phased out by PP2s AND Rs. 900 more than the Yoko ESs!
  2. My priorities are a. good handling; b. decent ride and c. tread life.
  3. Can I fit 205s on my stock 5.5J Aveo steel rims? Or will 205 be a complete overkill? My use is limited to 80% city with max 2 people. Heavy loads are very very rare. Why I ask is that I want the best braking and handling I can get without totally sacrificing ride comfort. However if 205s will foul the front wheel wells during opposite lock or hit the wheel arch on bad roads, I will certainly not fit the same.
  4. Last question: Maybe a bit naive but I understand that if I buy 2 new tyres, I should fit them on the back axle. Is my understanding correct?
Please let me know either via public (makes this topic slightly OT!) or via PM.

Thanks,
ItWasntMe

quote=kpzen;625703]U can get 195/60-14 tyres for Aveo.
ES100 Rs 3300 per tyre
XM1 Rs 3600 per tyre
Pilot preceda - Rs 4200 per tyre.[/quote]

Last edited by itwasntme : 14th November 2007 at 12:54. Reason: Grammar
Old 14th November 2007, 14:41   #11
Senior - BHPian

1. Both tyres are good. PP2s are better than Es100...PP2 compete with the S drives.
U will get the new PP2 in 195/60-14

2. Consider only Energy XM1 and ES100 if tyre life is important to u..

3. 205 would be an overkill for Aveo. Just get good 195 tyres and u would never ask for 205..Getting 205 tyres would also ruin the awesome ride quality of Aveo

4. Yes, u are right.
kpzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2007, 14:58   #12
Senior - BHPian

Many many thanks kpzen, for the immediate response!

I am tending towards the PP2s now :-)

However, the Michelin India website still mentions that 195s are available only with the PP tread pattern and not PP2. Have they not updated the site?

The link is here: Michelin India - Pilot Preceda 2

Best regards,

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
1. Both tyres are good. PP2s are better than Es100...PP2 compete with the S drives.
U will get the new PP2 in 195/60-14

2. Consider only Energy XM1 and ES100 if tyre life is important to u..

3. 205 would be an overkill for Aveo. Just get good 195 tyres and u would never ask for 205..Getting 205 tyres would also ruin the awesome ride quality of Aveo

4. Yes, u are right.

Last edited by itwasntme : 14th November 2007 at 14:58. Reason: Missed the URL
Old 19th November 2007, 12:19   #13
aks316

hey nice review.. i have noticed all aveo owners are very happy with there car.. is it as good as honda city.. ?
Old 22nd November 2007, 16:25   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by varun.ppl View Post
12. Noise Levels:
I have never sat in a Merc but i know this car can give damn competition to Mercs or even any other super luxury car in terms of Noise Levels inside the cabin.
An Aveo giving tough competition to a Merc...!!!
Well that shows how much you are impressed with your car buddy...!!!
Anyways, try riding a Merc and think again...
RajaTaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2007, 16:31   #15
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajaTaurus View Post
Anyways, try riding a Merc and think again...
GM is putting enough and more stress in this area. And I would like to believe this also after spending 44 months with GM product.

Regarding Merc..yes I've have done that and do that on a regular basis.
Rudra Sen is offline   Reply With Quote