Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 9th November 2007, 21:02   #1
BHPian

Post Maruti SX4 ZXi - EDIT: Updated for 9000 Kms

Maruti SX4 ZXi - 5100 Kms report
================================================== =====

In continuation with my earlier report (http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ms-report.html (Maruti SX4 Zxi - 2200 Kms report)), I thought of posting next set because 2nd service is completed.

I wasn't happy with Pratham Motors (Marathahalli outer ring road) from whom I bought SX4 and got service done.

This time I went with RNS Motors, Hosur Road - Thanks to "memo45_m" who gave me a contact there. Thanks also to "Jaggu" and "RMB" who shared their experience with them.

These are list of items I had while giving it for 2nd service:

1. Clutch vibration @ 2000 RPM and above: This is not very big issue but still makes me feel little uncomfortable while touching the clutch. It doesn't shake really but slight vibration was noticeable. If I recall it correctly, I didn't notice it before Pratham guys changed clutch plate, that's why I doubted if Pratham screwed up something in clutch. RNS guys worked on clutch area (bleeding, etc) as a whole and when I test drove it after 2nd service, it looked fine. But after 2 days, I am noticing it again (but this time, only in 5th gear 60 Kmph and above, not in other gears always). I am hearing from my friend who works in Maruti service shop that this problem exists in all SX4's (Can SX4 owners confirm?) and Maruti can't rectify it. I have anyway told RNS about this problem again and would be giving my vehicle next week to check if this can be corrected. Since this is not very big concern, I am not bothered much.

2. 3rd gear vibration in gear stick: The gear stick vibrates while engaged in 3rd gear. They corrected this issue and I didn't notice it after service.

3. AC not effective as before: May be this was my impression, not a problem really - I observed that the AC was not effective as it used to be in beginning. It looks better after service, now.

4. Dents and scratches: There are few dents and scratches in body and I wanted them to patch it. They did whatever they could, yet they couldn't work on paint scratches. They say that it is not possible with patch up, body repaint is needed which costs more. I am thiking of trying com paints (mentioned in car clean thread).

5. I asked them to swap spare wheel. Wheel alignment wasn't necessary now, I will do it by 10K Kms.

2nd Service costed Rs 922. This includes outer body wax polishing (Rs 730), fill-up of various oil (Rs 61), interior cleaning with vacuum cleaner and service tax. They forgot to shampoo clean interiors, should get it done next time.

Good news is that: through Auto card I had some points and redeemed those, hence paid only Rs 180 . Not sure how much it would have costed with Honda and others. Big advantage with Maruti !!!

Now comes interesting part, mileage calculation until now. Please note that AC was 100% on and mostly 35 psi for tyres.

My MAN has drunken 441.07 L petrol until now and ran 5124.1 Kms and average mileage until now is 11.62 Kmpl, not bad .

From all tank full visits, least mileage I got was 9.76 Kmpl; City's best was 12.75 Kmpl and Highway's best was 16.02 Kmpl.

In City, I am getting 11.5 Kmpl at minimum and constantly getting 12+.

I have improved my driving lot better than before. Still I need to improve in driving uphill. I could manage to roam around city WITHOUT fitting reverse parking sensors yet, let me see how long I can go.

Looks: Nowadays, I am liking rear look better than side view. Of course, front look is best.

Ride & Handling: Ride is fantastic especially in speeds above 60. Even at speeds 40-60 also feels nice provided you are in right gear. Max speed I drove was 130 Kmph. Suspension is good, however 35 psi seems to make it bumpier than in 33 or 34. I am thinking of trying out 34 psi to check good balance between FE & suspension.

Power & pick-up: I tried out all combinations (driver alone, driver+luggage, driver+front passenger, driver+front passenger+luggage, all passengers, etc), power wasn't problem at all even with AC on. Nowadays, may be due to my improved driving, I feel pick up is lot better than how it used to be previously.

Gear box: It is getting better day-by-day ('reverse gear not engaging issue' happens rarely, 1st gear engaging difficulty happens less frequently, etc).

NVH: Tyre noise is very noticeable even at lower speeds when your player is not on. Not sure if I change stock tyres with any other make will reduce it, since it is mainly due to type of roads we have. In certain hard roads, noise is significant even when player is on.

Most of other points remain same from previous report, don't want to repeat here.

Overall, I am happy with this good buy, looking forward to have more fun time with it!!
sathya_nars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2007, 21:35   #2
BHPian

Wow that's a neat review!! I'm glad after the service you find it better. Seems better that you switched service centres.

The Full time FE you quoted is very good!
Btw, is Auto card from Maruti (like BP's Petrocard) or from a bank partnering with Maruti on contract?

cya
A
Absar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2007, 21:53   #3
BHPian

Nice report Satya. I can confirm that I don't face the Clutch vibration issue you are facing. So I don't know how credible is the news you have. May be I haven't observed it. However, I face the first gear issue which Amit had reported. Planning to get it rectified in the second service.

Regarding the scratches, try 3M paint protection. Its being offered at Indiranagar at a car care shop called Spot free solutions. Googling will get you their address/contact. PM me if you want their number.
balaji_n29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2007, 22:17   #4
Senior - BHPian

35PSI!!!! isnt that way too high. The car must be really shaky on bad roads.
gemithomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2007, 22:24   #5
BHPian

Nice report Satya. And quite a decent mileage your MAN is giving you. Others on the forum have been complaining about the mileage of the SX4 but I guess driving style and conditions do matter.
thefreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2007, 13:29   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Absar View Post
Btw, is Auto card from Maruti (like BP's Petrocard) or from a bank partnering with Maruti on contract?
While purchasing car, they offered me this credit card called 'Auto Card'. This is regular silver card from Citibank in collaboration with Maruti. Everytime I pay bills during service, I pay using this card and it gains reward points.

Quote:
Originally Posted by balaji_n29 View Post
Nice report Satya. I can confirm that I don't face the Clutch vibration issue you are facing. So I don't know how credible is the news you have. May be I haven't observed it. However, I face the first gear issue which Amit had reported. Planning to get it rectified in the second service.

Regarding the scratches, try 3M paint protection. Its being offered at Indiranagar at a car care shop called Spot free solutions. Googling will get you their address/contact. PM me if you want their number.
This is good data point that you don't face clutch vibration issue, let me tell to dealer next time when I give it.

BTW, can you elaborate on 3M paint protection? Is it some kind of spray which I can apply on my own whenever I need it or only they can do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemithomas View Post
35PSI!!!! isnt that way too high. The car must be really shaky on bad roads.
Recommended cold pressure is 33 psi. But whenever we take it to fill air, tyres are not really cold enough - so I used to fill 34 psi. Later changed it to 35 for FE.
sathya_nars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2007, 15:33   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sathya_nars View Post
can you elaborate on 3M paint protection?
Its the normal cleaning, polish and waxing stuff. Go for the "new car" one. You will get 2 extra such servicing free.
gkrishn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2007, 16:02   #8
Senior - BHPian

Have you tried a lower value for tyre pressure as it can hug the road better? I figured the NVH would be a lot lower in this configuration
govigov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2007, 19:46   #9
BHPian

Very nice report. The reported FE is very good. It is as good as SWIFT Petrol.
goldsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2007, 21:38   #10
BHPian

Quote:
BTW, can you elaborate on 3M paint protection? Is it some kind of spray which I can apply on my own whenever I need it or only they can do?
Its the normal car polishing stuff plus scratch removal. You get 2 additional services when you go for "new" car treatment.
balaji_n29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2007, 21:53   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balaji_n29 View Post
Its the normal car polishing stuff plus scratch removal. You get 2 additional services when you go for "new" car treatment.
Where is this shop located in indira nagar. Got the following details from Google uncle.
New # 12,8th Cross
Indira Nagar,
Bangalore - 560038
Landmark: Near Pizza Corner
Phone: (80) 32964922, 41255281
Mobile: @#3#Get Mobile Number

PatienceWins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2007, 19:49   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Maruti SX4 ZXi - 5100 Kms report
================================================== =====

From all tank full visits, least mileage I got was 9.76 Kmpl; City's best was 12.75 Kmpl and Highway's best was 16.02 Kmpl.

Sathya - 16kmpl is amazing. I just completed a highway trip (350kms each way ) and it appears to be a max of 11. Ofcourse there were terrible roads for nearly 150kms each way & mid-day sun with AC on - but it appears that no way I could get a 16 !!
nssrini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2007, 20:00   #13
Senior - BHPian

Slightly OT: DOnt you think that the money you save with the increased F.E would have to be spent on suspension work that could creep in quite early with this high tyre pressure? Isnt its better to delay the suspension work and enjoy ride comfort.
gemithomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2007, 22:57   #14

Sathya,
Just completed 1000 kms on my SX-4 ZXI and got the 1st service done at Motor Craft, Noida, as recommended by some as the best Maruti service station in Noida.
Reg the Clutch. I had only two minor issues. First, driving in the first gear was not smooth, felt something, may be minor vibration or something. Driving in all other gears was very smooth. Sometimes car even stopped while trying to pick up speed from rest, in first gear. Second, engaging reverse gear took a few tries, at times, not always. Both the problems seem better after the first service, but not entirely gone, I think.
I keep the tire pressure at 33, as specified. My Tank to Tank average has worked out to 13.7 kmpl, with most of the driving on highway (speed 60-90kmph), 20 percent city driving, and AC used rather sparingly due comfortable weather in Delhi area this time of year.
AshokSawhney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2007, 11:17   #15
BHPian

Default SX4 completed 5200km and second service done.

After completing my long Deewali trip of 1100km odometer crossed 5k mark. And it was time for second service.

Experience so far:
  1. Driving habit: now I don't have any issues of rear view and anything like right A-pillar. Everything seems fine. Engine is never strained, riding smooth and quite. I mean driving habit is eased after knowing this car and its response. No hesitation in using 1-2 gears if in traffic jam. But strictly avoid pulling in high gears low speeds.
  2. Noise: Except one noise from wire of map reading lamp, nothing cropped up. No rattle, no vibrations. I am non smoker, so use ash tray for coins. That noise from coins reminds me how I am driving on bad road.
  3. Tyres: There was one crack observed before my trip in driver side front tyre. Approx 2" long 5mm wide and 5mm depth on surface which is on road. But at time of service we could not locate it. (??). I feel tyres are noisy above 50kmph speed. on 120+ kmph i felt like sitting in a plane (due to jet engine like noise from tyres on new tarred road)
  4. Engine: Engine noise is increased 10% or now my ears started noticing it. Power is same but smoothness increased. engine noise not jumping while revving upto 2.2k rpm. Anyway I love it as harshness is gone.
  5. Clutch: Clutch replacement introduced shuddering in 1st and reverse gear but fixed during 2nd service. Now it is smooth like new in 1st gear too.
  6. Gears: All gears are smooth including reverse gear. No one troubled me. Vibration in gear handle during 3rd gear acceleration is there sometime but minimal. Also I noticed shifting in 3rd gear at high RPM 1.8-2K and pressing gear handle full forcefully while clutch depressed, releasing clutch slowly doesn't gives this issue.
  7. Suspention: I have been always in driving seat, no never felt any problem. for my its towards stiffer side from normal. But good on highway rather than city. Anyway my city road conditions are better. So far never bumped hard.
  8. Wheels: Wheel/alloy are in good condition and after tyre rotation got computerized wheel alignment. Difference prior and after was reported on the printed report. It was less than 1 degree in caster and struct angle reset to original. So wheel alignment was not required but I have no complaint after it.
  9. Breaks: No issues, nothing to be done except inspection.
  10. AC: No issues, only thing I told to clean air inlet and blower to avoid smelling.
  11. Steering: NO issues same as first day - well balanced
  12. Pedals: All are same condition and clutch pedal is not set to exact correct position. with some free play (~15mm) and can be pressed fully.
  13. Scratches: One small line dent on front LHS door- some bluish siilver car's rear bumper corner touch passed door rubber in office parking. Bonet is having one mark thanks to small branch. But all these are unnoticible. Remaining is scratchless. So I am not spending anything over these things.
  14. Mistery: Rear fog lamp and its usability is a mistery for me.
  15. Mileage:
City: 12+ kmpl, mostly 12.5+, 100%AC, 1 person no load
Highway: 14.7-15 kmpl, onetime 16.01kmpl , 100%AC, 4 person + load
Service was done and paid Rs 400+300 for gear oil and coolent additive. (Not sure what was that?). Rs 500 for wheel alignment. (Total 1300Rs with tax)

No top up required for engine oil, break oil or gear oil as well as coolent.

After service so far 200km are done without any issue.

Now I can notice at least 6 SX4 cars in my locality.

Overall good car!

Last edited by omishra : 20th November 2007 at 11:24.
omishra is offline   Reply With Quote