Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 11th November 2007, 22:07   #1
Senior - BHPian

Default 7 Year's in an ALTO - Let's GO !!!

Yes yes yes its 7 years now (almost) since we own a SUZUKI ALTO LX. To be brief the car has lived more than its standards or what you can expect from a 47.5 PS 800 CC engine.

Buying Decision:
Was eventually deciding on Zen but end up buying Alto LX. At that time there was no LXi or VXi models. Only non power steering ones were there if i remember correctly and VX was almost 3.89 lacs. Bought it in 2000 December near Christmas.

First Impression:
To me Zen was always a head turner mini hatch at that time so i never really liked Alto or the decision that dad bought the Alto but that only lasted for like 6 months until i experienced its AC / FE / Stability / Boot Space and HANDLING.

But after that i really started liking the car and when i drove the 1.1 oh boy ZEN felt like a PUNY (no offense). 1.1 may not feel fast but it's really really fast.

Looks - Interior and Exterior
Since i was a ZEN fan i never liked the looks of Alto. But over the years or should i say months i started liking car alot but still ZEN (old one) looks bit better. Exteriors are nice and would rate 3/5.

Cant really say the same for interiors even though its solid built but they take a lot of space and because of which the rear leg room is less and interiors are not something to die for. 2.5/5

Engine / GearBox / Performance
Well can expect much from a 800CC but hell yeah it does 140 with charm. Max i have achieved by now is ~165 again its a speedo reading. 5th gear is useless really its useless. The car can top ~150 in 4th gear with AC. After that you have to slot the 5th and it somehow crawls you to 160 mark. If someone really want to enjoy the 5th gear slot it @80kmph on high way coz the car really tends to pick up well until 135kmph with ac on 5th gear.

Performance with AC on is nothing to boast about. A 110CC A/C just squeezes everything but its still does the job. Would give 3/5 for engine. Its not as silent or refined like new SANTRO eRLX. But the new alto engine is somewhat more refined.

Some BHPIANS have driven my car and one of them named manikjeet forced me to open the hood and see what was under it. He thought i had K&N, headers etc etc lol. But its stock lol.

Gearbox is like knife in butter for the 1st 4 gears. 5th is not something really to talk about in this car. Also shifting from 5th to 3rd it stucks. I dont know if this is the problem with my car but it sometimes get stuck or gives problem and i have to double clutch. 3.5/5

Space / Comfort
Boot space is awesome. The boot is bigger than Zen but it compromises on rear leg room. Maybe coz of interior space and bigger boot. The space on rear seats is just adequate to fit 2 adults and a teenager. 3/5 for the space that car provides.

Comfort is what i like in this car. Its not a low rider type and provides good support. Never had any issues on long drives. The rear seats are good but i wont say comfy or maybe i expect alot from it now after experiencing OPTRA rear seats. Good visibility all around too. 3.5/5

Safety / Braking / Stability
This is one point where i would say car has really lived more than what its expected to do. Really it may not feel safe but it is. 3 Major accidents and no scratch to anyone in the car. The sheet may not be as strong but it does the job pretty well. NO complaints in this area event though we don't get AIRBAGS and ABS versions here in INDIA. Breaking is pretty ok ok. Car don't really skid to one side on low speeds and braking is good enough for city and moderate speeds on highway. Recently an OCTY rear ended me but thank god nothing happened except for some scratches. 3/5 for Safety and Braking.

Stability is another factor in this car which will make u fall in love. Its not like Esteem that flies once you hit 130+, neither boat like Verna @140 nor a bit unstable like Zen at 140. Holds the road pretty well. 3.5/5 for stability on highways.

AC / FE
Just one word for AC "Chilling". the 110cc unit really cools the car down fast but its noisy at 3 blower speed. Everyone that has sat in the car has really admired the AC. 4/5 oooo i m feeling cold lol.

FE *evil grin* (points finger towards ScarySkull) j/k man. No complaints what so ever. Minimum FE ever is 16 with AC HIGHWAY and Max is 25 without AC on HIGHWAY. City FE hovers from 20 - 22 without AC or just 20 - 30 % AC with light footed driving and is 17 - 18 with AC on 100%. 4/5 (can give 5/5 for FE but more the better lol)

Some Misc Facts
Servicing schedule of this car is pretty bad. 1st service at 1k KM 2nd service at 10K km. 3rd service at 23k KM. 4th service at 40K km. 5th service at 52k KM. 6th service at 60k KM. 7th service at 65K KM. 8th service at 82K KM. hehe lol i know but the car has never gave any problem like that. I wonder any diesel car can take a beating like this.

Have done everything with this car. Offroading, Drags, pothole driving. You name it and car has done it all (well almost hehe).

Overall experience with the car has been pretty good. Have almost said it all above. Its 7 years now and the fate of the car will be decided by this JAN most probably whether to keep it or sell it. Also in last 1 year have driven 55K KM and have wasted around 3055 ltrs of petrol costing 1.40 lacs. Thinking of getting diesel but i wonder if any diesel can take a beating like this and this is why i dont buy diesel car. I do love the torque and FE which diesel engines provide but but but but....
abhibh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2007, 22:45   #2
BHPian

Nice write up. Good to see another alto lover!

55k kms in one year??! What does the odo read now?

Are you sure about the city FE figures? Yours is the 800cc engine version right?
hyper123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2007, 22:50   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhibh View Post

Some BHPIANS have driven my car and one of them named manikjeet forced me to open the hood and see what was under it. He thought i had K&N, headers etc etc lol. But its stock lol.
nice write up bro

and i still cannt believe its all stock i have been driving my alto for 5 years but my alto is no quick as his

maybe the k&n can fix this problem

if you sell her i am going to buy her
manikjeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2007, 22:57   #4
Senior - BHPian

If i am not mistaken, it shares the same gear box with the M800, right? in that case, the 5th gear is a must have, it really smothens the ride out. I cant imagine riding on the highway without one.
govigov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2007, 23:00   #5
BHPian

20kpl in city! Are you sure ? I think you are not measuring tank full to tank full.
gopz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2007, 23:01   #6
BHPian

You Alto guys are one lucky bunch.

Sadly I'm not a part of you people. I drive an Alto, but pay for gas money of a Swift.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopz View Post
20kpl in city! Are you sure ? I think you are not measuring tank full to tank full.
Hardly surprising since he lives in Chandigarh.
That means the best roads, the most organized traffic in North India.

Last edited by ScarySkulls : 11th November 2007 at 23:03.
ScarySkulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2007, 23:52   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Alto is the best seller in india, and with good reason.
Quote:
Originally Posted by abhibh View Post
Also in last 1 year have driven 55K KM and have wasted around 3055 ltrs of petrol costing 1.40 lacs.
You calculated?
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2007, 12:30   #8
Team-BHP Support

The Alto is definitely a nice car, and i agree with you on how much abuse it can tolerate.
benbsb29 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2007, 14:21   #9
Senior - BHPian

Nice revew Abhibh

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
You calculated?
See my LTO, you can see the analysis of every drop of petrol

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29
The Alto is definitely a nice car, and i agree with you on how much abuse it can tolerate.
My car is an example . isn't it?

Abhi
akroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2007, 15:19   #10
Senior - BHPian

Yeah...I have done a trip to Goa in Alto around 4 months back (my friends car). Its a nice car though the max speed you can reach is only 120kmph. I tried to push it hard. But it did not oblige and the odo stopped moving beyond 120 :-|
snaronikar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2007, 16:09   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyper123 View Post
55k kms in one year??! What does the odo read now?

Are you sure about the city FE figures? Yours is the 800cc engine version right?
The ODO reads 87K now and 55k i have driven only 5k in Alto and rest on M800 since last November. I just got the Alto out from workshop on 16 October and since then its been 5K km.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopz View Post
I am measuring Tank to Tank full. Its rare i get it filled for Rs 450 or 500 or 300 or at times 1000 lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
You calculated?
LOL had no intention to calculate but i think its time for a diesel vehicle but i dont know if any diesel car can take even half the abuse.
abhibh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2007, 07:17   #12
Senior - BHPian

The Alto is really a capable, reliable machine at the current price.

It's a shame on other car cos since no one is trying to compete with Alto in that money churning segment !
mithun is offline   Reply With Quote