Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 19th March 2008, 10:22   #196
BHPian

I also changed mine yesterday. No Complimentary wash.
What I understood is that Tata has circulated a list of chassis nos where these damper pulley (main c'shaft pulley) needs to be changed.

Since you have already uploaded the photo, am not repeating the same.

The extra holes (?) on the pheriphery are the balancing holes. The new pulley is colour coded in black and the earlier pulley (factory fitted) was red.

This the main pulley which drives the belts. It is a 2 piece assly in which the outer ring (with the belt grooves) and the main body (the mass) are rubber bonded. This rubber bonding is to smoothen the initial jerk which is transmitted via the belts. It is also acts a flywheel since it is directly fitted on to the c'shaft.

I do not where you got the other photo from. The principle is correct but it does not resemble the actual.

I saw another 2.2 which had an engine removed. The workshop people were cagey, but what I understood is that this pulley failed leading to timing belt failure and with that a host of other failures.
I also understood that timing belt failure on a 2.2 does to lead to value bending problem which was the bane in the earlier Tata vehicles using 486 DL engines (Sierra, Estate, the earlier Safaris, The Sumos etc) - the engine simply stops like in Petrol engines.

Last edited by kingshukt : 19th March 2008 at 10:26. Reason: Spelling mistakes corrected
kingshukt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2008, 10:23   #197
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
I got back mine in the evening with a complimentary wash. Saw the new pulley and what had changed, more grooves and more holes.

But the peculiar part which I noticed in my conversation was that the service advisor emphasizing that only they (manipal) are changing it since if the part(seal/ belt) fails later on due to this, there is no warranty for these failed parts and as per circular from TATA's on the modified part.

He also told me that TATA's had detected problems in some initial vehicles related to this and therefore came out with this modified spare.

I am suspecting that its not a mandatory recall but an advisory by TATA's to its dealers. Have other members received any calls from other dealers too ??

Damper pulley = Crankshaft pulley, it looks similar to below.
Dadu, I wanted to post this as well. I saw at least 7 - 8 Dicor engines opened at the service center for Pulley replacement. According to the service team, the Pulley gives away due to a problem with the seal that holds it in place and also provides some flex movement. There have been cases where the pulley just came off the engine.

All Safari Dicor owners, please get your pulleys checked well in advance.
moralfibre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2008, 10:24   #198
Senior - BHPian

I am not sure but common sense tells me that it should be a replaced in all safari's manufactured before they came out with this modified spare and started using it in the production lines too.

Newly manufactured safari's definitely wont need it.

Although the dealer told me that its for a particular batch but if they have come out with this new design in the spare now, what happens to the ones fitted earlier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bIte tHe bulLet View Post
dadu,

any idea whether this recall is applicable to new'ish cars as well?

i was just wondering whether i need to call the service centre guys (although i wouldn't hold my breath becasue vivek is a pile of c**p in any case!)

cheers.
Kingshuk, the picture posted by me is just a representation but not the actual one, if you have the actual picture please post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingshukt View Post
Since you have already uploaded the photo, am not repeating the same.

I do not where you got the other photo from. The principle is correct but it does not resemble the actual.

Last edited by dadu : 19th March 2008 at 10:28.
dadu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2008, 11:02   #199
BHPian

I assumed the 1st photo was actually taken by you. I therefore deleted mine ( I was running out of space on my mobile).

Both the pulleys look the same (if you disregard the colour coding). I have not counted the grooves because they continue to use the same belts.
I think that they must have had a quality issue with a batch or TM would have changed the rubber / bonding specs.

They have not drained the oil sump - did not need to.

BTW I noticed oil seepage ( and not a leak) of oil from the oil sump. Got the sump-bolts retightened with a torque wrench. All 2.2 owners please see the inside of the engine cover (below the oil sump) - whenever they remove it - to check out the seepage.
The seepage is very small - unlike the earlier TM vehicles so no need to worry excessively.

A small correction in my earlier Post No:199.
I saw another 2.2 which had an engine removed. The workshop people were cagey, but what I understood is that this pulley failed leading to timing belt failure and with that a host of other failures.
I also understood that timing belt failure on a 2.2 does NOT lead to value bending problem which was the bane in the earlier Tata vehicles using 486 DL engines (Sierra, Estate, the earlier Safaris, The Sumos etc) - the engine simply stops like in Petrol engines.
Unquote.
Forgot the "NOT" - a major omission

Last edited by kingshukt : 19th March 2008 at 11:07.
Old 19th March 2008, 11:10   #200
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
Its the factory filled oil, havent changed it yet. Only topped once.
It would be 20w40 CF4, which is factory filled. CH4 is recommended for subsequent service fills.
Old 19th March 2008, 11:32   #201
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
It would be 20w40 CF4, which is factory filled. CH4 is recommended for subsequent service fills.
I think factory filled would also be CH4, since the engine is Bharat Stage-III and proposed Stage IV compliant.
CF4 is a 1990s specification.
As for subsequent fills even though CH4 is recommended, the service centers will fill in CF4, because thats what they stock.
For most users this will not cause any harm until after the engine is out of warranty.
So more money for the service centers when your truck does 100000kms
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2008, 11:41   #202
BHPian

TM, till Jan '08 end, were NOT filling in CH4 in their cars. CH4 was being factory filled only in their commercial vehicles.

One of the reasons being that the cars all come in for their 1st service early. TM saves some cost in not filling in with CH4
Old 19th March 2008, 11:51   #203
Senior - BHPian

but for the 2.2l even if the first service schedule is early they havent recommended an oil change, so wouldnt it be bad for the engine to run on CF4 for the next change at 15000 and btw anything below CH4 is now an obsolete specification meant only for older engines.

Quote:
TM, till Jan '08 end, were NOT filling in CH4 in their cars. CH4 was being factory filled only in their commercial vehicles.

One of the reasons being that the cars all come in for their 1st service early. TM saves some cost in not filling in with CH4
dadu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2008, 12:04   #204
Team-BHP Support

Why don't you 2.2 guys tell your TASC that you will not let them fill in CF4 since its not recommended in the service manual. If they say they don't have Castrol GTX diesel in stock, then you tell the TASC you will source the oil from outside and give it to them
Old 19th March 2008, 12:04   #205
BHPian

This point has been discussed earlier. Some manuals have the oil change masked off. Mine is NOT. It is therefore a moot point as to whether oil is to be changed or NOT.

TSK is very correct in his statement that the majority of TASS are not stocked with CH4.
Old 19th March 2008, 12:05   #206
BHPian

Default huh?!?

"okkkkaaayyy..."

..but me now VERY confused.
(it don't take much dudes - ask my wife!!)

what SHOULD be in the 2.2 engine bay CF4 or CH4?

i know i should be reading my manual - just that i do not have access to the damn thing for the next 25 hours

and please tell me that it is purely speculation on what comes factory filled from tata in the safari.

i await enlightenment.
bIte tHe bulLet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2008, 12:10   #207
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Why don't you 2.2 guys tell your TASC that you will not let them fill in CF4 since its not recommended in the service manual. If they say they don't have Castrol GTX diesel in stock, then you tell the TASC you will source the oil from outside and give it to them
That is exactly what I did when I went for the 1st service. I put my foot down and sourced "TATA Genuine Oil - CH4" from BPCL and got it changed.
Old 19th March 2008, 12:10   #208
Team-BHP Support

Q. what should be in Tata safari 2.2
A. API-CH4 oil. thats what the Tata safari 2.2 service manual says.
Q. Is API-CH4 expensive?
A. No, it costs the same(in some shops less) than castrol GTD which is API-CF4 oil
Q. Has anybody bought API-CH4 oil in market?
A. Yes, I buy it every 6000kms for my Tata indica which is close to 100000 mark
Old 19th March 2008, 12:12   #209
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bIte tHe bulLet View Post
"okkkkaaayyy..."

and please tell me that it is purely speculation on what comes factory filled from tata in the safari.

i await enlightenment.
It is not speculation - Just pure knowledge got 1st hand from the oil companies.
(I buy oils and it pays to know what is going on in the market)
Old 19th March 2008, 12:20   #210
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Q. what should be in Tata safari 2.2
A. API-CH4 oil. thats what the Tata safari 2.2 service manual says.
Q. Is API-CH4 expensive?
A. No, it costs the same(in some shops less) than castrol GTD which is API-CF4 oil
Q. Has anybody bought API-CH4 oil in market?
A. Yes, I buy it every 6000kms for my Tata indica which is close to 100000 mark
It is not just CH4. TM have also specified that it must meet Mercedes Benz specs of MB223.8.

As regarding cost, the price in the market is a based on MRP which is a policy decision of the oil company. TM finalises their Bulk buying price based on E-bidding and negotiation. Price for TM for their bulk buying is very different from the market price.

BTW Castrol CH4 approved by TM is named Castrol RX Turbo and is to be sold as "Tata Genuine Oil" (MRP ~ Rs. 175 / L)