Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 24th March 2008, 10:51   #226
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
I suggest you speak to one of your known service advisor to find out when the new version of the spare was released by TATA.

That would prevent any unnecessary change of this spare. Its better to the engine stock factory

Please post if you find the release dates, it'll help others.
Just called up my service advisor. He has told me that it needs to be changed in my Safari too, Jan 2008 model. He told me that all 2.2s delivered till March 15th are going through this change. However, I'll confirm this news again from Concorde themselves.
suncity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2008, 12:12   #227
BHPian

thanks harjeev, i too feel there is something related to the fuel lines.. maybe the pump or some clog in the lines. now that you mentioned the full tank thing, i too am wondering if that is what my problem is. filled up some days back, the prob was there, but yesterday and today i haven't come across the jerks.. the tank is about half now.. got to check out next time i fill up.

suncity, please post your findings on the spare change, i too am with concorde, will call them up too and find out. will report here once that is done.

monday morning.. but we do have reclaimed our lives right guys.. :-)
cheers!
aburagohain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2008, 12:14   #228
BHPian

oh oops, it does pay to be a bhpian after all.. the post went thru' zoom.. love it :-)
Old 24th March 2008, 13:21   #229
Senior - BHPian

I was lazing around in the afternoon yesterday with nothing much to do at hand and so caught the 2.2l manual and read through, I found the following Diesel fuel specifications recommended by TATA for this engine.

Cetane Number (CN) : Min 51
Sulphur Content (mg/Kg) : 350
Lubricity (HFRR) (micron) : 460

Engine Oil (Since it lubricates the VTT) for temp -5 deg and above : CH4 SAE 15W/40

Now how does this decipher to the various oil companies and the fuel we fill, read this article (TechSpec® : Diesel Fuel and the role of Cetane in Engine performance) for more insight.

Also please mention you city and fuel being used and what brand. I did an extensive reading on this and found all this is related to your fuel efficiency and the performance of your engine.

Dont confuse Cetane booster with the additives we use (System D/ others) since most cetane booster should contain Amyl and ethyl nitrate, rest are all detergents and only enhance cleaning and slight fuel burning.

Last edited by dadu : 24th March 2008 at 13:26.
dadu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2008, 15:16   #230
Senior - BHPian

Concorde motors is also replacing the damper/crank pulley FOC. Spoke to a guy called Asaf.. at Concorde motors Hosur Road Service Center.

These guys arent as proactive as Manipal.

Abu, pls call them and check if the Jan'08 cars also need the replacement.
smsrini is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2008, 15:26   #231
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smsrini View Post
Concorde motors is also replacing the damper/crank pulley FOC. Spoke to a guy called Asaf.. at Concorde motors Hosur Road Service Center.

These guys arent as proactive as Manipal.

Abu, pls call them and check if the Jan'08 cars also need the replacement.
I spoke with the same guy, Asaf. He has quoted that even Jan'08 models also need this replacement. Going to TASS this Friday.
suncity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2008, 16:46   #232
BHPian

Have spoken to the Works Manager here in Pune and he says he shall work on my 2.2 (Change the damper/crank pulley) in a few days time. Needs to keep it overnight as he say's it's a "Big Job"!
turbanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2008, 16:53   #233
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbanman View Post
Have spoken to the Works Manager here in Pune and he says he shall work on my 2.2 (Change the damper/crank pulley) in a few days time. Needs to keep it overnight as he say's it's a "Big Job"!
Hey, I reached B U Bhandari @ 9:30 and was out by ~ 3:15 PM

It is not a big job as you were told. We lost time necause they could not get a leverage to open one of the idler pulleys
kingshukt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2008, 18:13   #234
Senior - BHPian

Wrote an email to Tata Motors supportsouth@tatamotors.com, asking if this was a mandatory replacement or specific to some cars...

Got a call in 15 min from a person by name of Shaji. I'm impressed with their response times!!! Per him, they suspect the pulleys from a 'specific' vendor to be suspect to damage, and that they will replace the pulley only if it was found to be from that vendor...

So the problem does exist, and it would be advisable to get it confirmed from the TASC.

Supposed to be a half day job as per concorde hosur road.
Old 24th March 2008, 18:47   #235
Senior - BHPian

I spoke to TASC (Pawa Motors) today evening. He said that they are replacing the Damper/ Crank Pulley. So guys in Delhi please confirm the same from your TASC's.

I have scheduled my BEAR for saturday as I am busy during this week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbanman View Post
I too spoke to the service engineer about the time taken for the replacement he said that it would take 3-4 hours and another 1/2 for the free washing. According to him its not a major or a big job. I specifically asked him about this.
harjeev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2008, 00:43   #236
BHPian

just back from a drive, bangalore roads can also be so calming and peaceful i never imagined..

need one suggestion from you guys out there, it used be my pastime cruising in my bolero earlier, or crawling one would call it second gear and feet resting on floor, let the engine torque take me places, pretty nice on a lazy sunday afternoon, out of the hussle bussle of the city into some village roads and the seatbelt pulled a little tighter.. tried the same thing today on the safari, found out that i can put even 3rd and the engine takes care of the motion effortlessly.. so good that ended up driving around for half an hour...

now for the question, would this cause any trouble to the engine? the rpm is at about 800 i'd say, no humming or any noise indicating strain on the engine as long as the road is level. please let me know if i should stop doing this, that would be a waste of course, don't want to hurt the beauty.
Old 25th March 2008, 07:28   #237
BHPian

Default Oils for 2.2 from Mobil

Exxon Mobil has a specific brand for TATA UVs named Mobil super 1000 that meets API CH-4.This can be used in 2.2 Safari.
You can also use Mobil Delvac MX (API CI-4).It comes in a 7.5 ltr bucket & I think Safari requires the same quantity.

Thanks,
rb2399
rb2399 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2008, 09:17   #238
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aburagohain View Post
tried the same thing today on the safari, found out that i can put even 3rd and the engine takes care of the motion effortlessly.. so good that ended up driving around for half an hour...

now for the question, would this cause any trouble to the engine? the rpm is at about 800 i'd say, no humming or any noise indicating strain on the engine as long as the road is level. please let me know if i should stop doing this, that would be a waste of course, don't want to hurt the beauty.
Now hear this - after my last service, the Senior WM took the beast for a spin on the expressway; after the usual high speed trials etc, he slotted it into 4th, took his feet off the pedals & let it drift along.

The beast just kept purring around the 750 rpm band with the speedo maintaining a steady 40 kmph with no human influence on accelerator, brake or clutch! I was quite intrigued. We carried on for a couple of kms - if the revs dropped marginally, it compensated automatically till it gurgled back on to 40 kmph!

I asked him what this proved - he said its one of the things they do to determine if the clutch is absolutely OK. If there is even a slight issue, the vehicle would lurch, knock, go in fits & starts & eventually stall.

Anyway, to answer your question, I don't see any problems whatsoever on level land - the vehicle would let you know if there was by way of a lurch or a knock or whatever. So, enjoy the torque
suman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2008, 13:03   #239
BHPian

Question - how many of you have experienced a drag sideways while you brake hard over 100 Kmph??

I am having this on my car & the guys have almost changed whatever gets involved. I am still not convinced on the sideward drag.
m3_07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2008, 13:56   #240
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
Now hear this - after my last service, the Senior WM took the beast for a spin on the expressway; after the usual high speed trials etc, he slotted it into 4th, took his feet off the pedals & let it drift along.
IMO that once you take your foot off the accelerator, the car should slow down and eventually stall if you dont take corrective action. I've experienced this in my petrol lancer before the safari.

In the safari, the idling speed is around 1000rpm, even at standstill. I dont know if this is a characteristic of the diesel motor or something wrong with my car.

cheers!