Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 30th March 2008, 18:21   #271
BHPian

Dear aburagohain, you are absolutely correct. Interestingly I faced this problem in the test drive vehicle. I had pointed to the sales person that the fuel seems to be low as soon as I sat on the wheel. He brushed aside my concern stating that even in reserve we will be comfortably able to complete the test drive. During the test drive we were climbing a slight incline and the vehicle suddenly stalled. The sales person was a novice and we had to call up the dealer to locate the balloon. After pumping 6-7 times we were able to start the vehicle and managed to reach the nearest pump without any further incident.
DDDHRUV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2008, 17:00   #272
BHPian

Default Insufficient Braking and Large Steering play

Since i find this thread as the most updated on Safari issues thought i will post some of my 'niggles' with the 'truck'. I own a 2006 DICOR EX version

1. Braking - At 100 kmph the car almost steers towards the left and then steadies - is this something to do with nonavailability of ABS or are the wheels getting locked without me realising?

2. Steering play - i find a wider steering play in my car, the powersteering does not seem to have effect on the front wheels till i make atleast 6-8 inches of turn of the steering wheel.

3. Driver side door power window - this has been a niggling issue from day 1, change of alternator in the previous service also has no effect. The window takes a longer time to close after reaching the half mark. I dont think its a factory designed feature because the problem goes bad to worse after a few weeks with almost 5 mins required to close the window.

Any comments or pointers will help me point to Concorde on the actual fix to be made.

Regards
carbaliga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2008, 17:21   #273
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbaliga View Post
Since i find this thread as the most updated on Safari issues thought i will post some of my 'niggles' with the 'truck'. I own a 2006 DICOR EX version

1. Braking - At 100 kmph the car almost steers towards the left and then steadies - is this something to do with nonavailability of ABS or are the wheels getting locked without me realising?[ it shouldnt happen at all]

2. Steering play - i find a wider steering play in my car, the powersteering does not seem to have effect on the front wheels till i make atleast 6-8 inches of turn of the steering wheel. [try steering your Safari when the engine is off to see if PS works. Checked the fluid?]

3. Driver side door power window - this has been a niggling issue from day 1, change of alternator in the previous service also has no effect. The window takes a longer time to close after reaching the half mark. I dont think its a factory designed feature because the problem goes bad to worse after a few weeks with almost 5 mins required to close the window. [what has the alternator to do with this? Maybe the beading is stuck somewhere.]

Any comments or pointers will help me point to Concorde on the actual fix to be made.

Regards
Try another TASS. Seems your TASS guys arent good at troubleshooting.
jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2008, 10:25   #274
BHPian

Carbaliga - I have a 2008 dicor & have the same problems during braking above 100 kmph. The guys at Manipal have changed everything & it still is not in a mood to behave decent.

Sent a stinker to Tata & manipal called me up for a "re-look" I'm in no mood to spend my weekends at TASS. Hence taking it forward during my next service.
m3_07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2008, 10:38   #275
Senior - BHPian

ABS would have definitely helped here to keep a straight line but I think the main culprit is the weight and height of safari, the wheels might be locking up on hard braking and depending on the dynamics it slides to the left.Remember it weighs more on the rear. I dont think it can be corrected under these circumstances.

Although, this is purely my opinion.

Quote:
1. Braking - At 100 kmph the car almost steers towards the left and then steadies - is this something to do with nonavailability of ABS or are the wheels getting locked without me realising?
IIRC, the design of the steering was like this with some play built-in. They corrected it in the 2.2l and now there is no play et all.

JK, PS will not work if you switch of the engine, its a hydraulic PS not an electronic one.

Quote:
2. Steering play - i find a wider steering play in my car, the powersteering does not seem to have effect on the front wheels till i make atleast 6-8 inches of turn of the steering wheel.
Something is definitely obstructing the window or the PW gears, since it works fine till half way. Did you swap the motors and check.

Quote:
3. Driver side door power window - this has been a niggling issue from day 1, change of alternator in the previous service also has no effect. The window takes a longer time to close after reaching the half mark. I dont think its a factory designed feature because the problem goes bad to worse after a few weeks with almost 5 mins required to close the window.
dadu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2008, 10:49   #276
BANNED

Quote:
In the non-ABS versions, you have to ensure the steering is dead straight during panic braking. You will also encounter similar behaviour when the truck is not fully laden.

The rear wheels lose traction in such scenarios quite easily under no load conditions. Maybe its the tyres as well - my OEM Bridgestone Dueler H/T tyres are now 31,000 km old. But I can say for sure that a loaded Safari is better behaved.
dicorex4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2008, 21:52   #277
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
aburagohain : about the fuel pump, the service guy showed me how to do that when air comes into the fuel lines.. ... good to know about it, though do not plan to use it.. :-)
If you are referring to priming the FIP, then yes - it is good to know. And good not to use it too often.

If ever you have prime the pump to get the engine running - remember it must be done as an exception. If you have to prime the FIP too regularly, then head straight to the TASS & have the fuel lines cleared of any air. Priming too often can screw up your FIP.
condor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2008, 22:55   #278
BHPian

@condor
absolutely sir, i meant to convey that the situation should not be created at all, fill up as early as possible when the car tells you so.

i have gone through that experience in my earlier vehicle, not that i didn't fill up in time but for a leaking pipe.. still consider myself lucky that is.

Last edited by aburagohain : 1st April 2008 at 22:56. Reason: correction
aburagohain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2008, 15:18   #279
Senior - BHPian

Did a 538 km trip to Yercaud and back using plain IOCL diesel and 99% AC. The FE from the fill till back (648 Km) included 110km city driving w/AC came to 7 kmpl.

In the city it was giving 8.5 kmpl with IOCL plain diesel + System D.

Here is the travelogue (Reclaiming Yercaud)
Old 8th April 2008, 15:30   #280
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
Did a 538 km trip to Yercaud and back using plain IOCL diesel and 99% AC. The FE from the fill till back (648 Km) included 110km city driving w/AC came to 7 kmpl.

Here is the travelogue (Reclaiming Yercaud)

7 KPL!!! Man, you need to get your beast checked up. I did a 450 km trip on my 3.0 on a single lane state highway- read no long cruising stints in 5th gear- with AC on 100% and I got 13.5kpl
himanshugoswami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2008, 15:34   #281
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post

Any reason (that you can think of) for the low FE...

I also did a short Pune-Mumbai-Pune run last Sunday, a 300+ Km run. However the fuel guage is still at 3/4 mark and I hav'nt been able to decide whether to fill in fuel to check the FE yet...

I was on Plain diesel - IOCL - No system D.

Last edited by kingshukt : 8th April 2008 at 15:38.
kingshukt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2008, 16:00   #282
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingshukt View Post

I also did a short Pune-Mumbai-Pune run last Sunday, a 300+ Km run. However the fuel guage is still at 3/4 mark and I hav'nt been able to decide whether to fill in fuel to check the FE yet...

Do you think when the needle is at centre of fuel gauge its really half tank?
jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2008, 16:07   #283
Senior - BHPian

No checkup is required as I am getting decent figures in the city.

Reasons:

- All AC usage (even on hills)
- 110km city driving before the trip
- The section of road covered Krishnagiri- Dharamapuri- Salem has lots of road construction going on, sometimes you have to drive behind the others at snails pace for many km's before you can overtake.
- Ghat section and hills take the toll on the FE too.

Mumbai- Pune is piece of cake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingshukt View Post

JK, I think he already knows the answer. Today when I filled up, the fuel needle was slightly below the mid-point and it guzzled 44 ltrs

The only Correct way is to measure tank to tank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post

Last edited by dadu : 8th April 2008 at 16:08.
Old 8th April 2008, 16:23   #284
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aburagohain View Post

vehicle seems much better to drive, thanks to the clutch bleeding that they did free of cost.
Abu, what was this for ?

Last edited by smsrini : 8th April 2008 at 16:25.
smsrini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2008, 16:26   #285
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
I filled up only once with the needle ~ half mark. I remember that I had filled in ~ 30-35 L which should be ~ half tank.

I however await other's owners comments / experiences.
kingshukt is offline   Reply With Quote