Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 26th September 2009, 12:02   #436
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
Dadu is still under the 2 year warranty, so why the question? Or is it a wear-&-tear part query?
Rightly, its under warranty if less than 2 years or 30k KM's, same applies for shock absorbers and many other things. I remember even Suman's clutch was covered under warranty and replaced on his 3ltr.

Jk and Gowda, in your cases you have already run much much more thats why you cannot avail warranty on these even if faulty and under 2 years.

Last edited by dadu : 26th September 2009 at 12:07.
dadu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2009, 16:09   #437
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
Rightly, its under warranty if less than 2 years or 30k KM's, same applies for shock absorbers and many other things. I remember even Suman's clutch was covered under warranty and replaced on his 3ltr.
Hey sorry it was a mistake even my Safari's Clutch Assembly and other parts was changed under warranty and it was changed when it was 25,000kms.

The confusion in your case was that i had not observed your total kilometers driven which is 22K

Last edited by gowda79 : 26th September 2009 at 16:11.
gowda79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2009, 22:24   #438
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
Thanks Vijay.

Here one more update. Before my Trip to Mahabalipuram (Re(claim/lax)ing Mahabalipuram), I had noticed a leak in the windshield water tank (again) and decided to get it rectified after coming back from Concorde, Mysore road. I was clocking around 22k in the Odo.

Took help from HW as this was the second time it leaked to see if a newly designed tank has come out and vola, mine was an old one with the clamp arm fixed on one of the sides of the tank and used to leak from the clamp rubbing against the plastic.

Attachment 197663
Old clamp depicted by yellow lines. New one as in HW's safari.

This is the new design, which I insisted for, although it took some time to procure it but well worth, in the meantime they also found some issues with the clutch too and I went for replacement, during the wait for the tank spare, also noticed some other things and went for their replacement too. Therefore these were the jobs done.

1) Clutch assembly replacement, including pressure plates, slave cylinder and related parts.
2) They found that one of the seals was leaking inside the assembly and replaced it.
3) Water tank
4) Got the wheels checked for brakepad wear and tear and found them all in good condition.
5) During the inspection found one of the left wheel creating some vibration, indicating bearing wear and went for replacement of both bearings(inner and outer).
6) Checked the wheels for play in Tie rods, no issues.
7) Got the idler adjusted + greased.
8) Got the turning radius checked and adjusted.

Eventually got everything checked and replaced where ever found faulty/ broken. Costed Rs. 0.00 under warranty.

Hats off to Ramesh and reddy for their patience with me, as I was nagging them constantly and supervising things. Even the technician Asif pasha was very well versed with all the work he was doing, much much appreciated. My day started at 10AM with them and closed at 7:40PM but it was the most productive day.

Checked some newer Safari's 2.2 also, they have changed some design in the hydraulics and their clutch is also very smooth, although same cannot be retrofitted in the initial models due to different designs. But after the replacement, clutch is as soft as a feather in my Safari too.

Also caught up with happywheels in the morning as his office is nearby, good to see you HW, after a long time.
What were the problems faced by you that you managed to convince TASS to change the clutch assly, Slave cyl assly etc.

After some umpteen gear box dismountings from the engine in my earlier Sierra - to change the C'shaft oil seal, I am very very wary of gear box dismountings.
I would prefer to live with minor problems than dismount the gear box (the clutch is at the front end of the gear box assly, if I am correct)

I had heard that TM Had done major improvements in the clutch, gear boxes , oil seals etc between the 3 L and the 2.2 L to eliminate major repair work.

Now that your clutch assly has become softer, how can you define it in comparision to , say, a Santro (you have / had a Santro - right ?)

The hub bearings had been designed for a life of 50000 Kms. They having been worn out can mean that the bearings had manufacturing defects or that you have driven your safari hard.
kingshukt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2009, 21:28   #439
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingshukt View Post
What were the problems faced by you that you managed to convince TASS to change the clutch assly, Slave cyl assly etc.

After some umpteen gear box dismountings from the engine in my earlier Sierra - to change the C'shaft oil seal, I am very very wary of gear box dismountings.
I would prefer to live with minor problems than dismount the gear box (the clutch is at the front end of the gear box assly, if I am correct)

I had heard that TM Had done major improvements in the clutch, gear boxes , oil seals etc between the 3 L and the 2.2 L to eliminate major repair work.

Now that your clutch assly has become softer, how can you define it in comparision to , say, a Santro (you have / had a Santro - right ?)

The hub bearings had been designed for a life of 50000 Kms. They having been worn out can mean that the bearings had manufacturing defects or that you have driven your safari hard.
You are right on spot.

It did not require anything, its the PR .

The clutch has become extremely soft to begin with, no shudder (which I used to get once in a while), its very close to Santro's clutch now.

It was a manufacturing defect since I could feel them while driving over 100 during my trips after the first checkup itself but somehow overlooked them as my illusion. This time also it was a last moment checkup which i asked them to perform.
Old 2nd December 2009, 18:09   #440
Senior - BHPian

Default 2nd Year, 3rd Free Service at 24000 Kms

These are the tasks that were carried out:

3rd Free servicing
Castrol GTX Diesel CH4 Engine Oil change
Oil filter change
Fuel filter change
Wheel Balancing, Rotation and Alignment
Rear Left Brake Cylinder changed
Air filter changed
LCPV adjusted
wheel Brake cleaning
Brake Oil changed and bled
Idler arm adjusted
Fuel sedimenter cleaned
Clutch bled (oil was changed earlier)
Steering spindle and sleeve greasing
Hub greasing checked (one was done earlier)

Invoice amount(Incl. tax)

Parts - 5646.00
Labour - 662.00
Total - 6308.00

A day well spent at the Mysore road, T.A.S.S, priceless
Old 7th January 2010, 13:05   #441
sun
BHPian

Can you people help me find the post where it lists the various categories of Retro for the 2.2 ? Because mine has just returned from the retro, and I would like to check with the list...

I couldnt find it, even though I went through most of the pages.
sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2010, 13:24   #442
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sun View Post
Can you people help me find the post where it lists the various categories of Retro for the 2.2 ? Because mine has just returned from the retro, and I would like to check with the list...

I couldn't find it, even though I went through most of the pages.

Here are the links . I bookmarked them when my safari came back from the retro

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post1410196

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...thread-64.html

There was also a post somewhere about the tail-gate of the safari being retro-fitted or was it some modification, cant seem to find it now.

Anyway hope this helps.
umang dutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2010, 15:17   #443
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by umang dutt View Post
... tail-gate of the safari being retro-fitted or was it some modification ...
I had checked with TASS at the time of my safari's retro. There was no such retro program for tailgate from Tata motors. However, IIRC, someone on the forum had mentioned he go his changed and installed a Sumo Grande tail gate latching mechanism at TASS by paying for it.
-BJ
bj96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2010, 09:56   #444
sun
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bj96 View Post
I had checked with TASS at the time of my safari's retro. There was no such retro program for tailgate from Tata motors.

Same with me about the tail gate retro. the pune guys knew nothing about that upgrade, but he told that the "new safari" (may be he was mentioning the new vehicle at the auto expo) doesn't have the spare wheel on the rear door.

The retros done on my vehicle were.

Timing belt
Timing wheel
Tensioner
Belt Idler
Timing belt cover
Lock mechanism (not the whole assembly, but some parts) of all doors
ECU Dust cover
ECU Software update
Some thing to do with tubes of AC

After the update, my safari has become very smooth, like the newer lot of safaris, she revs up much more happily and the sound is like a deep hum, rather than the rasp and roar previously.

I do not know about the fuel economy, but driveability is slightly better, with 3rd gear with more range, it seems, but any way i haven't covered much after the retro, so cant be sure of these.
Old 8th January 2010, 18:39   #445
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sun View Post
Same with me about the tail gate retro. the pune guys knew nothing about that upgrade, but he told that the "new safari" (may be he was mentioning the new vehicle at the auto expo) doesn't have the spare wheel on the rear door.

The retros done on my vehicle were.

Timing belt
Timing wheel
Tensioner
Belt Idler
Timing belt cover
Lock mechanism (not the whole assembly, but some parts) of all doors
ECU Dust cover
ECU Software update
Some thing to do with tubes of AC

After the update, my safari has become very smooth, like the newer lot of safaris, she revs up much more happily and the sound is like a deep hum, rather than the rasp and roar previously.

I do not know about the fuel economy, but driveability is slightly better, with 3rd gear with more range, it seems, but any way i haven't covered much after the retro, so cant be sure of these.
Hi Sun,
I have seen new Safari at Auto Expo, this vehicle is ditto except the new brown color.

Regards,
Shubhendra Singh
Shubhendra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2010, 19:14   #446
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubhendra View Post
Hi Sun,
I have seen new Safari at Auto Expo, this vehicle is ditto except the new brown color.

Regards,
Shubhendra Singh

No improvements either, does this mean the safari platform will not be touched for another couple of years.
harendra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2010, 11:52   #447
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harendra View Post
No improvements either, does this mean the safari platform will not be touched for another couple of years.
Thats what its pointing to..Euro IV engine, few upgrades here and there (read Interiors & Exteriors) and you have a refreshed Safari 2010.
Old 12th January 2010, 13:18   #448
sun
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubhendra View Post
Hi Sun,

Regards,
Shubhendra Singh

Ok, anyone has pics of this new safari, or did I miss it somewhere ?
Old 27th November 2010, 14:46   #449
Senior - BHPian

Default 3 years,45000Kms Service

Had to get the 3 years 45k service, although I had run only 33500K.

Things on my Mind.
- Normal Oil change service
- Gear Box oil change
- Wheel Balancing, Rotation and Alignment
- Idler arm adjustment
- Steering wheel Alignment
- Clean Sedimenter
- Oil leakage from the Cam Sensor (they had removed it to change the Oil separator during service camp in Aug.)
- Screw loose in the Glove compartment

Reached the T.A.S.S early around 8:45 AM, service advisor came at around 9:15AM to note down the problems, as above. I had met Reddy already before he came and Reddy is already aware of my requirements. I request him to finish the service part by lunch so that I can get going early.

Reddy puts 2 techs onthe job, Asif is one of them, who's familiar with my demands from the servicing.

Starts with opening up the wheels for rotation, balancing and checking the brakes, finds the Disc brake pads weared nearly to its life (apprx 2k run left), checks with me and changes it and i ask him to pressure blow the opened brakes to clean the dust. In the mean time the other guy is checking the lights, Air filter and bringing in all the spares required from the Stores.

Name:  IMG00082201011271139 Medium.jpg
Views: 1065
Size:  58.4 KB

Jacks it up and Removes the Skid plates/ engine cover below. I tell him to dip the bolts in grease before fitting them back with the plates. Th eother guy is checking the underbody thorougly and greasing + Gear box oil change, whereas Asif concentrates on checking any leakages from/ near the engine and Engine Oil change. He removes the Cam sensor and checks the O-ring, I call Reddy and Shabir, Reddy advises to use non-permanent silicon sealant (they have an imported glue tube) which Asif uses.

Asif also checks the oil pipe from engine to Turbo as he finds them leaking often in earlier Safari's, they have changes the design in the new ones, thats fine. Fills in the Engine oil and starts the engine, checks the level and tops up again. He moves onto Idler arm and then basic things like Battery water , coolant, PS oil etc etc, tops up where required, I tell him not to put the engine plates till the alignment is done (saves time). All done by 12:30pm and Reddy using his influence barges my Safari for the Alignment whic is also done by short of 1:00PM. Asif moves in the smears the bolts in grease before fixing them back. All jobs done.

Reddy again comes back after his lunch around 1:30 PM and puts the Safari at the front of the Washing queue.

Now the wait starts, takes them around 3 hrs to give the Safari a good wash. I talk to the Washing supervisor, "Saar it takes equivalent of 3 indica's to wash one", I ask him to get the underbody washed properly and he instructs his troupe. They do a vaccum inside and then silicon polish on dash and panels etc. Apply grease and anti-rust to the doors and battery. Spray diesel on the engine and underbody, tell him not to miss the grills. Once finished, I check the inside to find that the inside door panels have not been cleaned properly. I call Reddy and show him that, he tells me "Dont worry sir, I will get it done by 3M guys they will use chemical cleaners and do a better job", he shouts at them and a gang of 4 turn up and finish the job in 15 min.

Steering alignment and loose screw are the 2 things left now, Reddy takes the tool and we go for a test ride where he adjust the Steering himself and checks for any noises etc. I make the payment and drive off back home. (forget to get the screw tightened in the Glove compartment, I'll do it myself)

Total Damage - Near 10k, 8500 for spares & consumables and rest for wheel balancing & alignment etc.

Some things that I noticed this time.

- Too many vehicles (even during mid of the week), its full of them, extremely crowded if I compare it with 3 years ago.
- Washing quality has improved drastically and they doing a goos job of it (except the time taken). Reddy told me that they have an Auto-wash ready to be installed, just waiting for some work to be finished.
Old 27th November 2010, 14:50   #450
BANNED

Hi Dadu,

Can we have a breakup of the bill and where did you get the servicing done.

Mine too is due for its 30K service in 4.5 yrs .

Gowda79 has guided me to concorde-Mysore road. since he has a good service experience with them.
PAVAN KADAM is offline   Reply With Quote