Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 30th September 2011, 10:22   #136
Senior - BHPian

Default re: My Red Cherry - Maruti Swift VDI: 120,000+ kms up

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
you should replace both as a pair, principally the same as brake pads.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
He's right. Get both replaced at one go.
Thanks. What about read shocks? At this point in time I don't see any visible damage to them. Weight on rear shocks are comparitively less than front hence they should last a bit longer right? I can maybe change them after 20-30K kms.
DieselFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2011, 10:27   #137
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselFan View Post
Thanks. What about read shocks? At this point in time I don't see any visible damage to them. Weight on rear shocks are comparitively less than front hence they should last a bit longer right? I can maybe change them after 20-30K kms.

Routine checks and your spine will catch them going bad.

If you havent faced any problems, and the ride is good, get the same guy youre using for the fronts to give it a once-over.
Youll know when you need to change them , or if there is something on its way out.
mayankk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2011, 09:52   #138
Senior - BHPian

I was down at Mysore this Saturday and while coming back I felt that the brakes have lost the bite it used to have. Time had come for a check up and replacement of front shocks.

The check up showed rear brake drums scored really bad. Even though the brake pads had some life but the asbestos on the brake pad had become hard. So had a massive replacement of the entire front shocks kit as well as the rear brake drum with the brake pads. Due to removing of brake drums they could not use the same bearings so the rear bearings were also replaced.

Costed me 10,500 Rs.

Now the car is both comfortable (On uneven roads) as well as the brakes are supperfine.

DF

Last edited by DieselFan : 18th October 2011 at 09:53.
Old 9th November 2011, 14:34   #139
Senior - BHPian

DF,
Would you be able to update on the breakup for the front shocks & rear drums? also does the rear drum assembly includes the brake pads or was it purchased individually?
ku69rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2011, 15:41   #140
Senior - BHPian

I don't have the bill handy with me to give precise costs but the breakup is roughly -
1. Shocks - 3500-4000 rs.
2. rear brake drums, brake pads, bearings replacement costs - 6500 - 7000 rs.

Drums, pads, bearings are all individual components can be purchased separately.
Old 9th November 2011, 16:00   #141
BHPian

Hi guys, I too am a proud owner of the Diesel Swift since July 2007. I have done 70,000 kms as on today morning.

Very recently I am facing this kach kach sound when going over slight undulations on the highway at 110+ speeds. Does anybody have any ideas. Seems my shocks need to be replaced.

Replies would be much appreciated.
vijit.gangwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2011, 00:17   #142
Distinguished - BHPian

Do you have a break up of the below items?

Quote:
update on 70K servicing. handed over the car Sunday morning and got the same back yesterday evening. following works were done on the car -

2. Fuel filter change (This was not done at 60K servicing. SA showed me the removed part and said it was ina decent shape and could take another 10k kms. So I have been using decent fuel :-))

5. Clutch overhaul

6. Front brake pads change

9. Got the AC duct cleaned.
swiftnfurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2011, 11:22   #143
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Do you have a break up of the below items?
2. Fuel filter - around 1400 including labour
5. Clutch - around 4500 including labour
6. front brake pads - 3000+ including labour
9. AC DUCT cleaning - Gratis (as I am a frequent customer this wa thrown in free). Should cost around 300-400 Rs.
DieselFan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2011, 10:48   #144
Senior - BHPian

The car has done over 86K kms. I was at MASS for a checkup as I noticed a suspention sound. After a test drive the senior mechanic at the MASS said that the suspension bolts may need torquing. After torquing my regular SA informed me that they have an imported grease from Japan for Steering column and it would be great for steering if I get the same serviced. I agreed and had the steering column serviced. Overall I paid 575 Rs. 250 for the grease 325 for Labour. Overall the steering feedback has improved. I presume steering will last another 80K kms ateast.

Car has been running without any problem. Giving me a FE of 18-22 kmpl. 18 is the least I get and 22 is the most.
DieselFan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2012, 15:35   #145
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Car has been running without any problem. Giving me a FE of 18-22 kmpl. 18 is the least I get and 22 is the most.
Wow would envy those numbers any day. My car having covered 99K gives me around 15 in city & highways with my heavy right foot manage 18-19. Also as updated last suppose the car is due for clutch plate replacement which might boost the fuel economy.
Have always enjoyed reading your thread Ravi
Old 9th February 2012, 16:24   #146
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
last two days I suddenly noticed that when my car is in neutral and the clutch not engaged there is a little additional noise to the engine noise(exactly similar to the engine running but a distinct addition) and it disappears the moment i engage the clutch.

Its run close to 39K now.

Below is the exact issue if it helps you guys understand the change i am feeling.

I have no issues with gear shift, power or movement of vehicle. But just that the noise seems very different between engaging clutch and not engaging(in Neutral) is bothering me a bit.

The sound does not appear when any of the gear is engaged.

Taking it to MSM tomorrow to get it checked :(
Sorry to quote an old post I too have exactly the same issue mentioned here. Sound difference in neutral when clutch is engaged/disengaged. Adding up to that, I have some times a noise coming up from inside the engine bay when I shift gears, something like a heavy thud for a split second. Was your issue resolved? Could you please share some detail?
bhp_maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2012, 15:19   #147
Senior - BHPian

Did 90K quick servicing yesterday. In addition to oil and oil filter change I had a couple of more Jobs to be handled -

1. Steering response was erratic. I was getting a clunking sound at speedbreakers. I asked them to look at the steering mechanism again (Last time I had got the steering greesing done). This time the diagnosis was correct. the tie rod had worn out. needed replacement on both sides. cost 900 Rs. for the tie rods and 400 rs for replacement charges.

2. horns (Skoda type air horns) had stopped working about 10 days back. Both had to be replaced. I put the MGP horn back into the car. cost 500 Rs. per pair. installation gratis.

parking lamp on one side of the car had blown which was replaced and a few clips for mudgaurd were replaced.

Total cost of the servicing 4250 Rs.
Old 19th November 2012, 09:10   #148
Senior - BHPian

Did carry out scheduled 100 K Service this weekend. Costed me 8500 Rs. 8000 Rs. towards MASS and 500 rs. for the 3M Engine flush.

I poured engine flush at home and then drove to MASS which is about 5 kms from home. It took me 15 min and I did this with low engine RPM. Then at MASS I did a 5 min 2000 RPM Idle run. then I asked them to take over and carry out the service.

This is a major service that involved -
1. Changing all fluids (Engine oil, Gear oil, Coolant, Clutch/Brake oil)
2. Changing all filters (Oil, Fuel, Air)
3. Cleaning brakes (Front and back) and adjusting brake callipers.
4. Brake bleeding
5. Clutch bleeding
6. Check all belts
7. Check all Rubber hoses.
8. Gear Lever Check/greasing. (Gear lever had become a bit notchy. Pointed this out to the service advisor)
9. Checking Both suspensions and undercarriage and tightening all the bolts.

Handed over the car in the morning and collected the same in the evening. Only one issue that was not correctly addressed was that the cleaning was not proper (Some traces of diesel/oil was found in the engine bay) which I pointed out to the SA and he got the same cleaned to my satisfaction.

Now the car is back and is in almost showroom condition .
DieselFan is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2013, 17:18   #149
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Did carry out scheduled 100 K Service this weekend. Costed me 8500 Rs. 8000 Rs. towards MASS and 500 rs. for the 3M Engine flush.
Congrats Ravi on achieving the milestone, I know this is coming in delayed. But out of curiosity have you piled up a list of stuff that you have replaced in your car? You might want to include the tires as well if you have replaced.
Old 8th April 2013, 09:26   #150
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
Congrats Ravi on achieving the milestone, I know this is coming in delayed. But out of curiosity have you piled up a list of stuff that you have replaced in your car? You might want to include the tires as well if you have replaced.
I have not consolidated all the items I have replaced so far.Good point. I would do the same when I find the time.

Car aircon had become ineffective. took it to MASS over weekend. Got AC servicing done with cleaning of evaporator and filling up of AC fluid. OCsted me 3100 Rs. Now AC is running back to normal.