Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 24th September 2014, 11:53   #166
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: My Red Cherry - Maruti Swift VDI: 120,000+ kms up

My car battery gave up on me yesterday. I replaced it with a Exide Mileage from a near by authorised dealer. Total hit Rs. 5800/-. Rs. 6600- Rs. 800(in exchange of my old battery). This battery seems to be a rugged one which is built to withstand heat, dust and vibrations. Let us see how it performs.
DieselFan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2014, 16:17   #167
BHPian

DieselFan,
Quick question - Did u replace the engine timing chain(did not see it in the updates). I believe it is supposed to be replaced at the 1Lakh Service. If yes what was the cost as I am currently at 95K with my swift and fast approaching 1L :-)
malgudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2014, 16:47   #168
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by malgudi View Post
DieselFan,
Quick question - Did u replace the engine timing chain(did not see it in the updates). I believe it is supposed to be replaced at the 1Lakh Service. If yes what was the cost as I am currently at 95K with my swift and fast approaching 1L :-)
Timing chain needs no replacement till the life of the engine. I am not sure where you got the information that it needs to be replaced after 1L kms. I have not replaced the same and I know on this forum some Swift D cars which have crossed 2L kms and have not replaced the timing chain.
DieselFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2014, 17:47   #169
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselFan View Post
Timing chain needs no replacement till the life of the engine. I am not sure where you got the information that it needs to be replaced after 1L kms. I have not replaced the same and I know on this forum some Swift D cars which have crossed 2L kms and have not replaced the timing chain.
In MJD version of your engine, they replace it at 1L(75 hp) and 60k(90 hp) km intervals. It is often reported that the chains make a racket(noise) before they die but the belts are always silent, even if they are breathing their last.

Of course, the theory is chain is for the lifetime and belts needs to be replaced.
ramzsys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2014, 03:34   #170
Distinguished - BHPian

Timing chains used to cause the demise of engines --- but I suppose I am thinking of decades ago.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2014, 07:03   #171
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by malgudi View Post
DieselFan,
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzsys View Post
In MJD version of your engine, they replace it at 1L(75 hp) and 60k(90 hp) km intervals. It is often reported that the chains make a racket(noise) before they die but the belts are always silent, even if they are breathing their last.

Of course, the theory is chain is for the lifetime and belts needs to be replaced.
My Swift diesel is currently at 116k. At 113k SA advised/noted that timing chain had a slight leak - he "tightened" it up, and said you can get it replaced at 120k. The Punto thread (Fiat Punto engine failure @ 57000 kms!) has scared me - I'm just wondering whether I should get it replaced now or should i wait till the end of the year (4k = 4-5 months of driving).
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2014, 09:04   #172
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
My Swift diesel is currently at 116k. At 113k SA advised/noted that timing chain had a slight leak - he "tightened" it up, and said you can get it replaced at 120k. The Punto thread (Fiat Punto engine failure @ 57000 kms!) has scared me - I'm just wondering whether I should get it replaced now or should i wait till the end of the year (4k = 4-5 months of driving).
Since your car is out of warranty, you should replace the timing chain as part of preventive maintenance, unless you have crunch of funds and this 4-5months will help replenish those funds.

Can you please post some pics of your car? I want to see how a well maintained Swift ages.
F150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2014, 16:58   #173
Senior - BHPian

Fiat is advising replacement due to its design/manufacturing flaw of the timing chain and its components. There is no such issue with the timing chain of Maruti. I checked with the GM service of Kalyani and he says there has been no circular from maruti on timing chain change. I will recheck the same with him during next service and if needed will change. As I said earlier we have had cases of swift running > 2,00,000 kms without timing chain change. Also my swift is running as smooth now, as it was running when it had covered 20,000 kms.
Old 30th October 2014, 18:01   #174
BHPian

When I visited Fiat factory in 2012 the Engineer has mentioned FPT (Fiat Power Train division) also supplies engine to Maruti though they manufacture under license from FIAT. The issue could be the manufacturing defects from the recent batch from your signature its seems 2007 model may not have the issues.
vijaycool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2016, 08:05   #175
Senior - BHPian

Got the regular service done at 133 K kms. Just the oil and filters change and a left front suspension lower arm was replaced because the rubber holder had cracked. The bill came to 9000 Rs. 2430 Rs. for service (Regular service has become very expensive). 900 Rs. to change the arm which costed 1400 Rs. Oi was 2000 Rs. Consumables, brake cleaning and caliper greasing and taxes came to a grand total of 9000 Rs. Regular service at Maruti is getting simply expensive. thiinking of moving to Multibrand servicing center near my house (Looking at Bosch).

Also I inquired about Timing chain replacement. MASS said it would cost close to 30000 Rs. 20000 for parts and 6 K for replacement. I asked why? the service GM said they change the entire housing (Not just the timing Chain). Is that so? Any experience on timing chain replacement? Process and cost?
Old 6th August 2016, 14:23   #176
Distinguished - BHPian

Goodness, it's been six years and, now, two Polos. I guess it is time I unsubscribed from this thread!

Farewell, and all the best!

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 6th August 2016 at 14:25.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2016, 15:00   #177
BHPian

Quote:
Also I inquired about Timing chain replacement. MASS said it would cost close to 30000 Rs. 20000 for parts and 6 K for replacement. I asked why? the service GM said they change the entire housing (Not just the timing Chain). Is that so? Any experience on timing chain replacement? Process and cost?
I replaced the chain on my Swift at around 140k 2 years back for around 5K. Just the chain was changed. But they did say that it was labor intensive and needed to remove the engine out of the bay. Sold the car since but I am not convinced that parts prices have shot up by so much. You might want to check out the prices with an MGP retail store.

Drive on,
Shibu
shibujp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2017, 12:10   #178
Senior - BHPian

Hi Diesel Fan,
You still having the car? Stumbled on this thread, been close to 4 years since i sold my Swift after it accumulated 157000 Kms.
Fantastic car it was with literally zero repair costs apart from regular maintenance costs.
In all the time she was with me, these were the following parts that i replaced from my pocket

1) Gear Cable
2) Glow Plugs - 1
3) Rear Right Door locking unit
4) Steering Column bush - Worn out
5) Battery - Once
6) Tires - One Set (It was almost bald by the time I put it for sale)

Bought the car for 592K and sold it for 375K.

Still miss the car especially on ghats, the chuckability of the car was awesome.
Best Bang per Buck for the car scenario 10 years ago

Do update this thread if possible
ku69rd is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote