Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 4th August 2008, 19:26   #46
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselFan View Post

While driving on the highway at speeds higher than 80kmph when I take my foot off the accelerator pedal I do get a momentary jerk which is slight but noticeable. What can be the reason for this jerk?
thats engine braking isnt it? or did I not understand the question?
rippergeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2008, 23:54   #47
BHPian

Does System-D work for Verna Diesel as well?

Would be keen to know :-)
barcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2008, 07:50   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippergeo View Post
thats engine braking isnt it? or did I not understand the question?

Rippergeo,

Engine braking is gradual and sustained over a period of time till you start the acceleration once more. This Jerk is different and lasts for a split second.
DieselFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2008, 07:58   #49
BHPian

Guys, My VDI has done 17K kms in 8 months and I can see black smoke from the exhaust at least 2wice a week it is so bad that I can't see the road behind me. My thrid service is over and the next is due in 20K kms. I had personallu cleaned my air filter at 15K kms.
Has any body faced a similar problem with the VDI, and what was done to rectify the same.
I was using premium deisel then switched to normal one. My question is on a bigger picture, is it a problem all the swift VDi's after 15K kms. As I have a friend who has done 15K in 2 yrs he also has the same problem he has been using normal fuel. It was ok all this while only after 15K the smoking problem started
sameer_dg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2008, 08:56   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameer_dg View Post
Guys, My VDI has done 17K kms in 8 months and I can see black smoke from the exhaust at least 2wice a week it is so bad that I can't see the road behind me. My thrid service is over and the next is due in 20K kms. I had personallu cleaned my air filter at 15K kms.
Has any body faced a similar problem with the VDI, and what was done to rectify the same.
I was using premium deisel then switched to normal one. My question is on a bigger picture, is it a problem all the swift VDi's after 15K kms. As I have a friend who has done 15K in 2 yrs he also has the same problem he has been using normal fuel. It was ok all this while only after 15K the smoking problem started
some amount of smoke is expected in all diesel vehicles right from purchase. this smoke is usually black. and is usually seen under hard acceleration
the amount of smoke also increases if the air filter is dirty.
also make sure the engine oil is not overfilled.

if in your case, the problem is occasional,I would point my finger towards poor fuel quality.

you mentioned that you cleaned your air filter. is it a stock filter or a reusable after market filter?
stock filters are use and throw, not meant to be cleaned and re used.
from experience, a "cleaning" of the stock filter only slightly, improves/restores performance only for 1-2K or so.

all turbo diesels require large quantities of air. the air filter in my swift usually needs cleaning by the time I reach 3k. things I notice at that point
1. engine sounds rough, increased NVH
2. reduced willingness to rev
3. blunting of turbo kick, softer turbo kick
4. slightly better lower end performance(maybe imagined)
5. large quantities of smoke when accelerating(not cruising) at 120kmph and above

massive smoking like you described, does not occur in all swifts.
Old 18th August 2008, 09:12   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameer_dg View Post
Guys, My VDI has done 17K kms in 8 months and I can see black smoke from the exhaust at least 2wice a week it is so bad that I can't see the road behind me.
Black smoke from exhaust is common in Diesel vehicles. This is due to the Soot formation in the exhaust of the diesel vehicles. Excessive black smoke can be due to bad fuel or blocked Air filter/Fuel filter or blocked Fuel injector. Try System D (Fuel additive ) and see the difference.

rippergeo - If engine oil is overfilled then the turbo gets affected and one notices white smoke and not black smoke.
Old 18th August 2008, 10:05   #52

Quote:

rippergeo - If engine oil is overfilled then the turbo gets affected and one notices white smoke and not black smoke.
I agree. should have clarified in my initial post. my bad
Old 18th August 2008, 15:47   #53
Distinguished - BHPian

After leaving my house, I have five minutes of small lanes before reaching Old Mahabalipuram Road, where I can get out of second gear and reach a decent speed. I find that initial acceleration gives black smoke, but it is only a puff or two, it could easily be missed. My Swift has done only about 6,000 in just over a year.

Most of my driving is pretty sedate --- but just once in a while I think it is a good idea to accelerate harder than usual in low gears to give things a clear out.

rippergeo, I do recognise most of the symptoms you list (I have never approached 120 in this car) --- makes me wonder about my airfilter. Thanks for the pointer.

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 18th August 2008 at 15:49.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2008, 16:08   #54
BHPian

Thank you very much for the detailed information my air filters are stock. And am going right now to replace them. will post after my filter replacement.
sameer_dg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2008, 22:22   #55
BHPian

I feel the issue of smoke is related to overfilling of Engine oil. Most of the MASS engineers fill up engine oil 3.6L (Petrol specification) as against 3.1L specified by Maruti.

I believe this fouls up in Turbo and you see smoke once the RPM crosses 2K.

I have had my vehicle service 3 times and found Oil overfilled to 3.6L (despite reminder) & Transmission Oil filled up to 2.2L. The Service engineers convinced my 3.6L was right and this was new specs from Maruti. Made them remove the oil and fill up using dipstick as yardstick for topup
Milind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2008, 15:45   #56
BHPian

I have mentioned this in other threads - if your diesel swift starts spewing smoke suddenly check the turbo intercooler hose - this can be replaced under warranty as there was an issue with this in some swifts.
My swift ldi has done close to 20,000 kms and no smoke after changing the intercooler hose.
Mahesh
maheshshanmugam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2008, 17:24   #57

Quote:
My Swift DDIS has now done close to 18000 km. I am using System D diesel fuel additive regularly and getting a FE of 20 + kmpl with both highway and city driving (50-50) and with AC on 80% of the time. There has been an improvement in FE by at least 2 kmpl after I started using the fuel additive. The engine has also gone pretty smooth and is less noisy under normal driving condition. Engine just races to 80 kmph without any difficulty.

Will keep you all updated as we go along.
Hey dieselFan could you let me know what is this System D and where can i find it.

Thanks a lot in advance
ChandanChannaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2008, 14:21   #58
Senior - BHPian

Folks,

I have this problem of water accumulation below the carpets on the driver side of the car behind the driver when the car is exposed to rains. I do not see any visible leakage. This happens even when the car is stationery so the theory of water getting in because of car moving on big water puddles is eliminated. it is clear that the seepage is from the top. Any pointers on where the problem could be. I am taking it to the M.A.S.S. the day after tomorrow to do a water pressure test to figure out the issue.
Old 8th September 2008, 14:53   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Folks,

I have this problem of water accumulation below the carpets on the driver side of the car behind the driver when the car is exposed to rains. I do not see any visible leakage. This happens even when the car is stationery so the theory of water getting in because of car moving on big water puddles is eliminated. it is clear that the seepage is from the top. Any pointers on where the problem could be. I am taking it to the M.A.S.S. the day after tomorrow to do a water pressure test to figure out the issue.
Do you have any holes done in the body of car, that could be a suspect.
I my previous Alto, I installed a 6-CD changer below the front passenger seat, through screws made to the lower body.
During 2005 floods, I had my car flooded with water in one of the heavy rains in Koramngala area.
If you have some accessories fitted, check them out for any holes made to the body.
sriturl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2008, 13:10   #60
Senior - BHPian

I took it to MASS and they used pressurized water testing and diagnosed the leak to the improper sealant in the windshield. The whole windshield is being removed and proper sealant is being put and the windshield is being reinstalled. The service adviser had t cheek to suggest that I claim insurance. I flatly refused and asked him to take this job up as warranty claim.