Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 13th January 2011, 13:31   #121
Senior - BHPian

Default re: My Red Cherry - Maruti Swift VDI: 120,000+ kms up

@Jaggu and @Eddy

Wanted to ask a specific question. May be I am just noticing now. When the car is in neutral and the clutch is not engaged the engine makes a very distinctive noise which I cannot describe but goes off when you engage the Clutch. The noise does not appear when you are in gears.

Is it something that is normal with swift?

Last edited by VW2010 : 13th January 2011 at 13:31. Reason: copy paste from another editor carried tags.
VW2010 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2011, 13:41   #122
Team-BHP Support

How much has your car run, hope its not clutch release bearing chatter? Get it checked.
Jaggu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2011, 13:53   #123
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
@Jaggu and @Eddy

Wanted to ask a specific question. May be I am just noticing now. When the car is in neutral and the clutch is not engaged the engine makes a very distinctive noise which I cannot describe but goes off when you engage the Clutch. The noise does not appear when you are in gears.

Is it something that is normal with swift?
AFAIK It is not normal.
Humyum had the same problem. It was a sound which could be heard in neutral and if you engage the clutch the same is gone. I believe it was a broken spring in the pressure plate which he then changed under warranty bcos at that time his car had run less than 10K Kms.

Do PM humyum and he should be able to provide more details of his case.

Last edited by f1fan : 13th January 2011 at 14:03.
f1fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2011, 14:02   #124
Senior - BHPian

@f1fan

Thanks a lot for that information. I will contact Humyum for futher details. My car is a little older than 2 years and this is the first time i am hearing that noise. The sound exactly feels like coming from the centre and not from the front end. Will take it to Maruthi service to check the same today.
Old 13th January 2011, 15:38   #125
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arvind Sharma View Post
Can anybody tell me whether any of you have faced a problem of water pump after 50000kms?
What exactly is the problem. Did it stop working. The main reason for the same is the sedimentation/scales getting into water pump due to use of hard/dirty water with coolant.
DieselFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2011, 18:54   #126

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselFan View Post
What exactly is the problem. Did it stop working. The main reason for the same is the sedimentation/scales getting into water pump due to use of hard/dirty water with coolant.
Actually there was some strange sound which started coming around 4 days ago, when I got it checked at maruti service center, they said the water pump is getting leaked and is having some play. Those guys also told me that it is a common problem with swift above 50000kms and that it is due to the fact that the water pump is having a plastic valve. Now in the new models this valve is not there and therefore the problem won't come with new models.
I got it changed today for Rs. 2700, so just wanted to check if it is common problem.
Arvind Sharma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2011, 19:49   #127
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arvind Sharma View Post
I got it changed today for Rs. 2700, so just wanted to check if it is common problem.
Do you have details of this part from the bill, or the actual picture?
Jaggu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2011, 00:01   #128
Senior - BHPian

last two days I suddenly noticed that when my car is in neutral and the clutch not engaged there is a little additional noise to the engine noise(exactly similar to the engine running but a distinct addition) and it disappears the moment i engage the clutch.
Quote:
How much has your car run, hope its not clutch release bearing chatter? Get it checked.
Its run close to 39K now.

Below is the exact issue if it helps you guys understand the change i am feeling.

I have no issues with gear shift, power or movement of vehicle. But just that the noise seems very different between engaging clutch and not engaging(in Neutral) is bothering me a bit.

The sound does not appear when any of the gear is engaged.

Taking it to MSM tomorrow to get it checked :(
Old 14th January 2011, 11:22   #129
Senior - BHPian

Wanted to give an update on the after service ride -

1. The clutch has become really soft and light. It is now lighter than a petrol cars I feel.
2. Brakes have improved a lot. with GIIIs on the wheels it just holds to the ground even with 100-0 braking.
3. Pickup and pull have dramatically increased. Never knew a clutch overhaul will make such a difference.
4. had a bit of vibration in the clutch when shifted from nuetral to 1 and then to 2. Went and requested for clutch bleeding and was done within 30 min. Vibrations disappeared.
5.Absolutely no rattles at all even on rough road. Not sure how long this would last.
Old 5th June 2011, 16:47   #130
Senior - BHPian

hi Dieselfan,
When you mean Clutch Overhaul, does that include replacing of the clutch plates? If yes what was the total cost that was incurred? Also would this be the first set of clutch plate replacement?
Did you notice any symptoms of clutch wear? like
1) Poor Pick Up?
2) Drop in mileage
3) Jerky Take off?

Reason am asking is my car has done 85K Kms without a change of clutch plates. Have noticed that sometimes it the vehicle shudders/jerks during take off especially when tackling steep inclines. Rest all are good with my mileage still hovering between 15 to 16 in city with AC and highway mileage stretching to 19to20 based on my right foot.
ku69rd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2011, 23:36   #131
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
hi Dieselfan,
When you mean Clutch Overhaul, does that include replacing of the clutch plates? If yes what was the total cost that was incurred? Also would this be the first set of clutch plate replacement?
Did you notice any symptoms of clutch wear? like
1) Poor Pick Up?
2) Drop in mileage
3) Jerky Take off?

Reason am asking is my car has done 85K Kms without a change of clutch plates. Have noticed that sometimes it the vehicle shudders/jerks during take off especially when tackling steep inclines. Rest all are good with my mileage still hovering between 15 to 16 in city with AC and highway mileage stretching to 19to20 based on my right foot.
clutch overhaul includes replacement of clutch and pressure plates. the cost would be between 4000 to 5000 rs. including labour. yes this was first time I changed the car clutch plates.

Symptons of clutch wear are all three above as well as increase in engine RPM for the same speed.

I have just completed my 80K kms servicing. Got suspensions checked and changed front suspension bushes other than the routine checkups. Got internal cleaning done which was over and above their normal servicing as the car was dirty. Total bill came to 5200 Rs (Engine oil provided by me).
Old 15th August 2011, 08:09   #132
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Symptons of clutch wear are all three above as well as increase in engine RPM for the same speed.
thanks for the update looks like my car is also set to have her clutch plates replaced, clocked around 88K which i feel is decent. Will be heading in for service at 90K. Thanks for the break up for clutch overhaul job.
ku69rd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2011, 16:38   #133
Senior - BHPian

My Front left shock is leaking oil. need replacement. SA suggesting that I replace both the front shocks. His logic is that it is like brakes that you replace both front or rear at the same time. Is this true? Or is he taking me for a ride?

DF
Old 28th September 2011, 17:14   #134
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My Front left shock is leaking oil. need replacement. SA suggesting that I replace both the front shocks. His logic is that it is like brakes that you replace both front or rear at the same time. Is this true? Or is he taking me for a ride?

DF
you should replace both as a pair, principally the same as brake pads.
mayankk is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2011, 20:20   #135
Team-BHP Support

He's right. Get both replaced at one go.
Eddy is offline   Reply With Quote