Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 22nd February 2008, 17:59   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
i rather go high compression than turbo on THIS car.
Do you know what fuel you will need to run? Its easier said then done. You will need octane boosters and what not.
BUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2008, 18:04   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyneverdie View Post
But be specific with what didnt need replacement.I would love to hear this man.

PS : i rather go high compression than turbo on THIS car. Can get the same power gains as gembella without a turbo plus it would be more reliable
you didnt answer the question man , what did not need to be replaced?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSA View Post
Do you know what fuel you will need to run? Its easier said then done. You will need octane boosters and what not.
speed 97 is more than enough for my plans.
+
sonax octane boost is always there at a decent price,
BUT dont have any money so even my hi-comp plans wont happen for a LONG time

Last edited by cyneverdie : 22nd February 2008 at 18:07.
cyneverdie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2008, 18:23   #33
Senior - BHPian

IMO you did not need to change brake pads, gear oil, service AC system atleast at 20k kms.
BUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2008, 20:00   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSA View Post
IMO you did not need to change brake pads, gear oil, service AC system atleast at 20k kms.
HAH! hell yes had to change my brake pads.will show you pics of them later.

gear oil sure i didnt have to did only 4000 km on my current oil but thats damn cheap.

service ac i needed - there was a problem with my recirculation flap . And my ac radiator was completely clogged so was my ac motor. And i thought my gas was low but they checked it with a machine and it was fine , just the radiator which had leaves and mud + the motor Its much much better now .

anything else man?
PS : leave me and my brakes alone : ]

Last edited by cyneverdie : 22nd February 2008 at 20:17.
Old 23rd February 2008, 03:58   #35
BHPian

Quote:
PS : leave me and my brakes alone : ]
oops that didnt come out like i wanted it to , i meant leave my brakes alone man , let me deal with them , we go way back.

no digicam , will soon take pics of my pads and show you guys.
said this earlier :-
Quote:
well i dont brake hard because i cant afford to flatspot my tires, but i do drive fast.

in fact i always pump my brakes.

At 2 200 for front brake pads thats safety, speed and performance guarrantied man , + the mechanic who doesn't know me nor how i drive said i had 5 000 km left on them [ he didnt want me to change them, he wanted me to come back later !! ; of course i refused ]

tarox , EBC , etc say always replace pads when 60 % worn - reason being the thinner the pad the faster they heat and over heat resulting in failure , warped/damaged discs and brake fade

Last edited by cyneverdie : 23rd February 2008 at 04:00.
Old 23rd February 2008, 07:59   #36
BHPian

Quote:
i must say the ONLY issue i have is that they didnt direct me to a plug gapping machine , which IS available in bombay.

gapping by hand [ which was not done by them , but done by someone JD Madan highly recommended ] did ruin my plugs.
just a couple of Q please dont take me wrong.

For ages people have gapping plugs by the tool which is normally provided by these sparkplug cos. It does the job perfectly well. then why this machine business?

How do you say your plugs wernt gapped well? is there any problem with the plug functioning? any difference you noticed wrt "ows-not properly gapped" vs. stock plugs? are ows plugs creating any problem such as :- missing,jerking,cold start problems etc?
if the company recommends (say) 1.1 mm and you set them at 1.1mm using manual method the error range would be between 1.05 mm and 1.15mm does that really matter?
arpandiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2008, 09:49   #37
BHPian

Well my petrol swift has done 30k, and the 30k service is costing just around 5k for me, before a 1k discount. I didnt even bother doing a 25k service, as she seemed healthy enough. And she does hard duty on 60kms of Chennai's battered roads everyday.

8k for labor charges alone! I hope you're getting your money's worth dude. Enjoy your car.
ballkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2008, 18:11   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arpandiv View Post
just a couple of Q please dont take me wrong.

For ages people have gapping plugs by the tool which is normally provided by these sparkplug cos. It does the job perfectly well. then why this machine business?

How do you say your plugs wernt gapped well? is there any problem with the plug functioning? any difference you noticed wrt "ows-not properly gapped" vs. stock plugs? are ows plugs creating any problem such as :- missing,jerking,cold start problems etc?
if the company recommends (say) 1.1 mm and you set them at 1.1mm using manual method the error range would be between 1.05 mm and 1.15mm does that really matter?

For ages people havent been using double tip iridium technology.
If you can see the image the thing is that the tips should be directly in line with each other .
Improper gapping in MY case caused the tips to NOT be in line with each other .
The ground electrode was and is ERODED.

Later in the night will post more images of what MY plugs looked like after only 4000 odd km.
PS : JD said to gap them after i told him how i drive , he said the high revs will just fly.
And it did fly initially. The last 30kmph of any gear would just happen in a flash !
That stopped happening after 2000 odd km

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballkey View Post
Well my petrol swift has done 30k, and the 30k service is costing just around 5k for me, before a 1k discount. I didnt even bother doing a 25k service, as she seemed healthy enough. And she does hard duty on 60kms of Chennai's battered roads everyday.

8k for labor charges alone! I hope you're getting your money's worth dude. Enjoy your car.
The pdf file image of the swift's manual is too big for me to upload at this hour.Will do that later. BUT i made them do EVERYTHING in the list in the manual for the 20 000 km service. Thats a HUGE list so yes 8 grand [ if the figure's right ] was and is very worth it.
And yes man I am enjoying my car.
Hope you are enjoying yours man.

Last edited by cyneverdie : 23rd February 2008 at 18:29.
Old 23rd February 2008, 18:42   #39
BHPian

Quote:

For the swift the gap is supposed to be .8-.9 mm the ows plugs come gapped at .8 , NGK comes gapped at 1.1 !!

Got OWS 360 gas treatment after my service its real good and i hope it cleans my plugs up a bit . Did try to re gap them myself so that the spark points were in line with each other but will soon see how that feels.
Had said this earlier. My broadband's too expensive right now , will be back in the night , will post more company provided info to back up what i said. Also will bum a digicam off a friend and post pics of my old brakepads .

PS: JD had said if i was a regular person who wants FE as well as OCCASIONAL power drives , to leave the plugs at .8 mm. But for a person who is ALWAYS stepping on it gap it at 1.1 and DO NOT expect more FE , obviously.

Dont have a tach in my car so cant give my RPM power bands - BUT at low revs and then especially at high revs [ last 25 ish kmph in every gear ] really did get a kick in the pants type of acceleration.

All that acceleration died after 2000 odd km , after seeing my plugs i NOW know why.

DAMN guys !! : 0
remember me ! let me get my hands on some real cash then see what i do to my car. LOL

peace & love

Last edited by cyneverdie : 23rd February 2008 at 18:56.
Old 23rd February 2008, 19:30   #40
BHPian

NGK Spark Plugs

Some very good reading on spark plugs. How many of you guys actually INSIST on your plugs being installed asper specified torque ratings?
Old 23rd February 2008, 20:00   #41
BHPian

Quote:
NGK Spark Plugs

Some very good reading on spark plugs. How many of you guys actually INSIST on your plugs being installed asper specified torque ratings?
I dont. Even if we were to insist,i doubt Service station would oblige.All this stuff is good when you work on your own and have the necessary equipment. At the service station you are at their mercy,but then,using a Torque wrench for fitting sparkplugs is really expecting too much. I think the heat transfer part is exaggeration.As long as the plug fits snug,(not overtightened,not loose) you will do fine.
Old 23rd February 2008, 23:49   #42
BHPian

Quote:
I dont. Even if we were to insist,i doubt Service station would oblige.All this stuff is good when you work on your own and have the necessary equipment. At the service station you are at their mercy,but then,using a Torque wrench for fitting sparkplugs is really expecting too much. I think the heat transfer part is exaggeration.As long as the plug fits snug,(not overtightened,not loose) you will do fine.
Good for you man , as long as your happy.
Convinced with my earlier answer on MY plug gaps?
What plugs are you running on anyway ?
Old 24th February 2008, 00:03   #43
BHPian

i am running NGK Iridium IX plugs.
Good that you found out that the gaps were not proper would have caused more harm later on. However there could be someother reasons too for grounding electrode to erode. just make sure you aint overlooking something ? sorry for my dumb Qs just trying to learn.
Old 24th February 2008, 00:22   #44
BHPian

Quote:
i am running NGK Iridium IX plugs.
Good that you found out that the gaps were not proper would have caused more harm later on. However there could be someother reasons too for grounding electrode to erode. just make sure you aint overlooking something ? sorry for my dumb Qs just trying to learn.
I dont think your questions are dumb at all man !! !!
I am learning too man !

But no man , absolutely sure that the ground electrode and the iridium tip were not in line with each other .
PS: The gaps were proper. You do understand the firing principle of the OWS plug , yes?
The images i posted should make perfect sense. Have a BIG PDF on OWS plugs IF your really interested can email to you.

Last edited by cyneverdie : 24th February 2008 at 00:24.
Old 27th February 2008, 03:56   #45
BHPian

Hey people , pictures of my brake pads are with a lazy friend : ] [sorry friend]
so will post them from his place tomorrow ish.

BUT my OE pads with came out are : - TOKICO EL799 FP63J0 JBSCO9A !!
The pads which went in are MGP 55810 M 63J00 !
Thats what it says on the box at least didnt actually study the new pads was too rushed. The new pads were packed on 11/07. All pic's soon.

Does this mean that the swift came with nice Japanese PADS and now they are on cruddy Indian MGP???

Do different MGP pads/discs exist ? OR all india one MGP brake pad/brake disc manufacturer?

These pads ARE available for my swift VIA N1 at a decent price

EBC Ultimax Brake Pads - EBC Brakes

EBC Ultimax Brake Pads

EBC Ultimax Brake Pads - EBC Ultimax Brakes

To quote
""Premium Grade OEM Plus Replacement Pads With Part Metallic Content To Greatly Reduce Chances Of Brake Vibration And Improve Braking Performance, Made From The Highest Quality Friction Material, Features Center Line Slots To Prevent Cracking And A Coating Which Cleans Up Rotors And Accelerates Pad Break-In, Offers Up To 50% Less Rotor Wear Than More Abrasive Semi-Metallic Pads, Designed To Reduce Noise And Disperse Up To 30% Less Dust Than Standard Pads, Set Includes Left And Right Brake Pads, Suitable For All Cars SUV And Light Trucks""

""
  • Put a muzzle on your loudmouth brakes with EBC's mouse-quiet Ultimax Brake Pads
  • EBC custom-makes your Ultimax Brake Pads to directly replace your stock gear
  • Beveled edges significantly reduce brake whine, prevent edge lifting, and actually prolong the life of your EBC Ultimax Brake Pads
  • Pre-fitted anti-noise shims further muffle your EBC Ultimax Brake Pads
  • Custom blend of synthetic aramid fibers and metallic filament for an aggressive bite, no vibration, and extended lifespan
  • EBC's own Break-In surface coating provides lightning-fast bedding for maximum braking power right out of the box
  • All EBC Ultimax Brake Pads boast a center-line slot to ward off heat expansion cracks
  • The pads and the pad plates are powder coated for a lifetime of rust-free service
  • EBC covers your Ultimax Brake Pads with a 6-month/5,000 mile warranty
""

EBC ultimax brake pads are supposed to be standard OE pads -abroad .
Standard OE+ not upgrades like EBC's red/green/blue stuff.

Any experiences with EBC ultimax brake pads? Anyone?
Anyone knows of any other swift brake pads ?

cheers & thank you people.

PS : soon put in new disc s & maybe rotors with the ultimax , if its all good and makes sense.

Last edited by cyneverdie : 27th February 2008 at 04:07.