Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 18th October 2008, 13:45   #436
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: N.A
Posts: 6,814
Thanked: 1,409 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Noticed this two days back. I am sure I havent him anything sharp or even jumped big potholes. I am to take the Safari to TASS for this right?
To repair a cracked tire? All the best!
Steeroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2008, 14:25   #437
Awaiting Email Confirmation
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: India
Posts: 1,745
Thanked: 19 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post

Edit: What is that small arrow doing there just below the crack?
that arrow indicates the weakest spot on the tyre. where it is most susceptible to damage.

now, seriously, before I get an infraction for wisecracks-
the arrow is the tread wear indicator.
rippergeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2008, 15:07   #438
BHPian
 
A S H V I N's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Cochin
Posts: 257
Thanked: Once
Default

or maybe it says "caution! crevice! do not fall in!" or "this side up/down"

back to the topic, well i dont thnk that the crack is potentially harmful. let us see what the "tyre Mafia"(as they are known in Cochin by many people) has to say.
A S H V I N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2008, 19:07   #439
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,652
Thanked: 242 Times
Default

They are the tread wear indicator, the cut in the tyre is the end of life for it.

Its dangerous to drive with it since its extending into the sidewall and can spread more.
dadu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2008, 19:45   #440
Distinguished - BHPian
 
jkdas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Thiruvananthapu
Posts: 9,633
Thanked: 1,340 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
They are the tread wear indicator, the cut in the tyre is the end of life for it.

Its dangerous to drive with it since its extending into the sidewall and can spread more.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
To repair a cracked tire? All the best!
All I have as proof about the tyre is a stamp in my Owner's Manual which says Bridgestone and MFD date of the tyres. Thought it will be easy to give the vehicle to them on my way to work so that they can do the necessary.
jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2008, 06:46   #441
Senior - BHPian
 
nitrous's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: UAE/Lon/Madras
Posts: 6,963
Thanked: 256 Times
Default

What is the manufacturing week and year of that tyre?
nitrous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2008, 12:16   #442
Distinguished - BHPian
 
jkdas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Thiruvananthapu
Posts: 9,633
Thanked: 1,340 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
What is the manufacturing week and year of that tyre?
March 2008.

I should get it replaced without issues right?
jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2008, 18:54   #443
BHPian
 
smsrini's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 974
Thanked: 220 Times
Default

I doubt if Tyre cracks will be covered under warranty for any brand of tyres.

If this tyre is one of the running 4, change it NOW. I'm sure you've done it.

JK, I remember you taking it 'where no jap cars would dare go even once??' Could something have caused it there ? Else it could be due to under inflated tyres being used on bad roads that could have caused it.

Anyway, hope you get it replaced free of cost.

drive safe.

cheers!
smsrini is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2008, 19:17   #444
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Dubai
Posts: 3,854
Thanked: 123 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by smsrini View Post
... I remember you taking it 'where no jap cars would dare go even once??' Could something have caused it there ? Else it could be due to under inflated tyres being used on bad roads that could have caused it...
But does driving an under inflated tyre or running it on rough surface cause such a crack? If there was a tear, I would understand, but this?

JK, all the best. I do hope you get a replacement!
HappyWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2008, 19:19   #445
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,652
Thanked: 242 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by smsrini View Post
I doubt if Tyre cracks will be covered under warranty for any brand of tyres.

If this tyre is one of the running 4, change it NOW. I'm sure you've done it.

JK, I remember you taking it 'where no jap cars would dare go even once??' Could something have caused it there ? Else it could be due to under inflated tyres being used on bad roads that could have caused it.

Anyway, hope you get it replaced free of cost.

drive safe.

cheers!
I second that for replacement, as tyres are only covered for manufacturing defects i.e. uneven wear (if you can prove not a alignment problem) and bulges etc. For a cut or tearing of sides etc its usually blamed to the owner.
dadu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2008, 19:39   #446
Distinguished - BHPian
 
jkdas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Thiruvananthapu
Posts: 9,633
Thanked: 1,340 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by smsrini View Post
I doubt if Tyre cracks will be covered under warranty for any brand of tyres.

If this tyre is one of the running 4, change it NOW. I'm sure you've done it.

JK, I remember you taking it 'where no jap cars would dare go even once??' Could something have caused it there ? Else it could be due to under inflated tyres being used on bad roads that could have caused it.

Anyway, hope you get it replaced free of cost.

drive safe.

cheers!
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
But does driving an under inflated tyre or running it on rough surface cause such a crack? If there was a tear, I would understand, but this?

JK, all the best. I do hope you get a replacement!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
I second that for replacement, as tyres are only covered for manufacturing defects i.e. uneven wear (if you can prove not a alignment problem) and bulges etc. For a cut or tearing of sides etc its usually blamed to the owner.
This should have happened very recently. I havent jumped any ponds on NH or so recently. And there is no visible mark of anything piercing the tyre or so.

I also check tyre air pressure now when I go for every alternate fueling.
jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2008, 20:06   #447
Distinguished - BHPian
 
sudev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 3,423
Thanked: 1,898 Times
Default

As far as I could make out from the picture this does not seem like TWI arrow as across the tread there is not tell tale ridge that usually runs across. But then I could be wrong. Gurus?
sudev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2008, 21:30   #448
Distinguished - BHPian
 
jkdas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Thiruvananthapu
Posts: 9,633
Thanked: 1,340 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
As far as I could make out from the picture this does not seem like TWI arrow as across the tread there is not tell tale ridge that usually runs across. But then I could be wrong. Gurus?
:(

How can a tyre crack ?


IN btw, called up Tata Support at 02266158400 and they asked me to talk to their engineer in Cochin which I did (Shaji) . He wanted me to reconfirm that it was GTD (GTX is fine) which I did later. I also complained about the krr krr and from his reply I understood that its exists/he has heard of it.

Liked the way he took feedback and his josh.

Yet to take the Safari to the TASS and tomorrow I cant as we have the #$%^& th hartal tomorrow.
jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2008, 22:47   #449
Senior - BHPian
 
greenhorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: TN-14
Posts: 6,685
Thanked: 1,031 Times
Default

where did you get the number from?

PS : even I'm thinking about getting some GTX Diesel for my next oil change. they will put in if we give them right ?

Quote:
about the krr krr
its not gone yet ?
greenhorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2008, 22:55   #450
Distinguished - BHPian
 
jkdas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Thiruvananthapu
Posts: 9,633
Thanked: 1,340 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
where did you get the number from?

PS : even I'm thinking about getting some GTX Diesel for my next oil change. they will put in if we give them right ?



its not gone yet ?

They are supposed to use GTX for 2.2L instead of GTD as Mobil isnt sold anymore.

I called Tata Support and said I have a complaint. They asked me to talk to Shaji first.

Last edited by jkdas : 20th October 2008 at 22:59.
jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Attached: BMW's full BSI & extended warranty price list (up to 10 years / 200,000 kms) VSD Technical Stuff 41 8th June 2017 21:50
Ford: Extended warranty up to 5 years / 100,000 kms for EcoSport & Figo Tushar The Indian Car Scene 28 27th April 2017 09:57
Reclaiming life - My Tata Safari TCIC. 13 years, 1,23,000 kms and counting sumannandy Long-Term Ownership Reviews 163 19th April 2015 07:54
Tata Safari 3.0 Dicor: Burnt, Recovered and Reclaiming @ 1,62,000 Kms EDIT : Now SOLD! mercedised Long-Term Ownership Reviews 34 19th February 2015 06:46
Tata Motors - Extended Warranty Woes (Vista TDi) nukeblitz Indian Car Dealerships 8 10th March 2013 11:41


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 16:43.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks