Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 22nd February 2006, 13:48   #16
Senior - BHPian

All is fair in love,war and car ownership!!
nitrous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2006, 15:19   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj
LOL... jk bhai! the q was asked more than an year back. crde wasnt around in feb of 2005 i think.
exactly one yr! who brought this thread up! shoot him:P

but he still loves the lancer!

Last edited by jkdas : 22nd February 2006 at 15:21.
jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2006, 15:28   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas
but he still loves the lancer!
the irony of the situation didnt escape me!
amitoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2007, 13:01   #19
BHPian

Default Update At 1.25 Lac Kms

Hey guys

Now the car has done almost 1.25 lac kms and is still doing pretty good in all
departments but sadly has lost its punch(pick-up).

I am very impressed with the overall performance of this beast, engine still going solid , aircon is good,suspension doing fine and very few rattles in the cabin.What I really miss is the pick up- here is where the engine shows its age.

Now so far the major problems faced by me are:-

1-Clutch overhauled-3 times-Rs18000/-

2 -Self overhauled(mico make) -3 times-once in warranty-Rs2400/-

3-Alternator overhauled(lucas make)-2 imes-Rs4200/-

4-Steering intermediate link rod jammed-replaced-Rs3500/-

5- Battery replaced twice-Rs6000

6-Propellor shaft replaced(due to the bearing)-Rs9000/-

Other than this the average service charges are around Rs 2000(5k interval).

Minor problems:-

-Instrument cluster(hvac controls) backlight not working.
-Airconditioning doesn't work in idle.

-Tachometer needle jumps all the time.(here the tacho works with the alternator so possible something wrong with alternator)

All in all it has been a good experience so far and am pretty satisfied with the current performance.

Major service is due and will get it done this month and will post the details.
lancerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2007, 17:38   #20
Senior - BHPian

holy cow! when i saw the date this thread was started i just thought for a moment i was reading something really old! but then the last post of yours was an eye opener. you do drive a lot dont you!! in 2 yrs, 1 lac kms?!!

well that is quite some cost for maintaining the car. but then as long as you can do it, and you like it why not!!?

cool report.
GeekSrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2007, 18:10   #21
HSV
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekSrik View Post
well that is quite some cost for maintaining the car. but then as long as you can do it, and you like it why not!!?

cool report.
Hey Geek, I dont think thats much of a cost at all. Consider this:

Total up the expenditure he has outlined till date = Rs 43100
Service @ approx Rs 2000 every 5000 kms (125000/5000*2000) = Rs 50000
Total cost of maintenance till date (for 125000 kms) = Rs 93100
Cost of maintenance per km (93100/125000) = .7448

i.e., Maintenance cost of 75 Paise per km! Not much at all IMHO.

regards,
HSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2007, 18:22   #22
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

How do you compare yours with the newly launched CRDe? And what are the plus points & negative compared with CRDe?
snaronikar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2007, 23:38   #23
Senior - BHPian

Hi, Nice update Lancerlover !
I'd agree with HSV that the Scorpio maitenance costs are very low truly. And the usage too (1.25 L KMs) is quite heavy. Going by my experience of the Scorpio (CRDe) the cost of spares,servicing etc is indeed one of the lowest compared to the cars/SUVs around. And sometime ago in another forum an article was circulated comparing the cost of spares etc of various vehicles on Indian roads a year or two ago and M&M's costs were the lowest.
Also another point is that for the same mileage run the number of failures of the various components is the lowest in the Scorpio (CRDe) - this is purely my perception after having a cursory check with other vehicle owners in the same cost range. It would be nice to have the perception validated through the experience of users of Scorp and other vehicles.
Guderian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2007, 11:33   #24
BHPian

Hey guys,

@HSV-I agree with you the cost of maintenance is not that high but it could have been lower.

@Snaronikar-the nvh levels are down considerably in the crde, not much change in the mileage.the only plus(non crde) i can think about is that I dont have to worry about the high cost of injectors or the pump in case of failure outside warranty.
@Guderian-I am happy that mahindra is constantly improving its product and as this process goes on the failure rate will further come down.
As for the failure rate being the lowest -cant validate that-may be they are as compared to the other vehicles in the same category.
From what I have observed and learned during my numerous visits to the workshops the current crde has its share of issues:-
-Premature failure of clutch(saw atleast 5 cases where the clutch failed below 10k kms).

-Premature UJ cross failures.(countless)

-Engine stalling.(possibly pump failure)

Btwn, the mileage of my scorpio hovers around 11 KMPL city driving (90% with ac).
Old 9th July 2007, 14:35   #25
Senior - BHPian

Hi Lancerlover - I was thinking about your comment on the loss of pick up in your Scorpio of late, when it occurred to me that you may want to have the EGR checked next time you visit the ASC. They have a process to change the valve or something in it and the Scorp is back to rodeo behaviour...also does it belch out black smoke at high RPMs.If so then its the EGR issue.
Also do have a look at your rubber tubes - esp the one going to the vacuum modulator from the box...if its cracked or splitting which is rarely noticed it can reduce the pick up. And as it has done about 1.25 L KMs you should have all the rubber items checked...assuming that it has not already done...all rubber tubes, belts, etc.
Hope this helps !
Guderian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2007, 14:34   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSV View Post
i.e., Maintenance cost of 75 Paise per km! Not much at all IMHO.

regards,
You are kidding right? 75 paise per km is low?
suman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2007, 18:43   #27
BANNED

nice write up buddy...........
zenopio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2007, 19:14   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman
It surely is costly from a petrol car POV. Dont know about diesels.
supremeBaleno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2007, 00:14   #29
HSV
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
Ummmm... IMHO... Yup! Its pretty much the same as my Indigo LX. Considering my ride is a car and this one's a SUV... Ah ha!!

What would you quote as low in terms of a thoroughbred Indian SUV?

BTW... whats the score on your Safari? Should be in the same league I guess, or does it better these figures?
HSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2009, 13:48   #30
BHPian

Default 1.90 Lac Kms Comprehensive Report

Hey guys,

My Scorpio is nearing the 2 lac mark and I have to admit that barring a couple of issues it has been a pleasure all through out.

Reaching there it has had its fair share of problems and more so lately but considering the fact that it has been my workhorse since the day I bought it- it has served me pretty well.

Major Failures So Far:-

-Alternator @ 1.6 lac kms- Oil seal developed a leak leading to failure -Replaced
Lucas-Tvs make - damage including labor -rs 13000/- .

-Power Steering Pump @ 1.85 lac kms- Oil seal leaked leading to failure-Replaced
Delphi make -rs 9000/- .

-Propeller Shaft @ 60K kms- Was replaced due to the worn out bearing.
Can't recall the make - rs 9000/- .

-Clutch Master Cylinder @ 85k kms- Tvs make( not sure)- rs 3500/-(approx).

-Water Body Pump @ 1.4 lac kms - Massive leakage from the assembly -Replaced
Can't recall the make - rs 2500/- (approx).

Minor failures so far:-

-Self -Bosch make - overhauled 3 times.

-Alternator- overhauled about 3 times.

-Condenser Fan Assembly-Behr make- Replaced about 4 times.

-AC Compressor Clutch Magnet -Replaced rs 2000/-(approx).

-Steering Connecting Rod- Replaced.

--There is no back lighting in the HVAC controls other switches on the central console, the tiny bulbs inside them have died and they are simply not available which means that if I want back lighting (which I badly do) I will have to replace the entire assembly(s).

I believe there would be a few more which I can not recall right now.

Performance at 1.9 lac kms :-

I am impressed, engine feels good enough for another 50-60k kms, other than a few squeaks and noises suspension is holding pretty good for its age, gear box is smooth and noiseless and the air conditioner still chills.

The car is still a pleasure to drive in the city and performs very well on the highways. On my trip to Chandigarh last month I constantly drove at 110-120 kmph and as expected it pulled effortlessly, it did not show any signs of strain in any department and returned a decent mileage of 13.5 kmpl (100% without a.c and about 30% city driving).

If I make the odometer stand at lets say 70k kms I believe nobody is gong to doubt that.

Known (unresolved)Issues With The Car:-

-Overheating problem in slow traffic and idling, as soon as it starts getting some fresh air in her lungs and more so on her face the temperature drops.
seems to be some inherent design issue.

-Lately it has developed a appetite for fried clutches and boy it has got some serious abilities in that to- 3 full clutch assemblies in just 30k kms.
Last time during the overhaul I got the flywheel turned, release bearing and fork replaced but the way its going I know its going to be another premature failure.Any pointers? Need some advice urgently!

Few Tips For Fellow Owners:-

-Get your idler bearings replaced at regular intervals and look for any abnormal wear on the alternator belt, if possible keep a spare belt in your car.

-If you feel that vibration have increased considerably get the engine mountings replaced its a 30 minute job and costs around 2000 bucks.

-For condenser fan failure there is no need to change the entire assembly just buy the motor (Behr make) and get it replaced, its all that matters and you would end up saving around 2000 bucks.

-Always use D.M. water in the radiator it prevents accumulation of salts in the entire assembly which leads to leakages and failures.

-If you live in a dusty environment get your air filter cleaned as often as possible.

-Get your car serviced at regular interval and always tank up from a reputed bunk it is crucial for her middle and old age.

Few Rants

Mahindra has gone crazy with its pricing be it the product Its spare parts and the service charges.

-Service charges be it routine or running repair are ridiculously high.
e.g.-Rupees 2000 is the labor charged for replacing the power steering pump which is a 45 minutes job and most other replacement/overhaul jobs are priced similarly- some 500 rs for replacement of idler bearings, 2400 rs for clutch overhaul.
Yes you can always go to your trusted neighborhood mechanic(which I have been doing from the day my warranty was over)but at times for specialized jobs you have to go the dealer,who are simply milking the customers and strangely no one is complaining.

-Almost all the workshops I have visited were under installed and under staffed to handle the huge number of cars they have to service (now add logan to the mess).

After all I bought a mahindra our local brand, it aint a novelty then why should I pay for the likes.

Summing it up
If not for the over priced 2.2 and the ridiculous service charges I would have bought another Scorpio without even thinking twice.