Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 9th July 2008, 17:56   #16
Team-BHP Support
 
mobike008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 10,739
Thanked: 7,946 Times
Default

Suren, i missed seeing this thread when you originally posted it. Fantastic review, i must say and having driven your pocket rocket on the highway and after testing the top speeds in 1,2,3rd gears, i have to confess, it is was way different from the stock one that i owned.
mobike008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2008, 15:32   #17
BHPian
 
suren181's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 847
Thanked: 8 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Suren, i missed seeing this thread when you originally posted it. Fantastic review, i must say and having driven your pocket rocket on the highway and after testing the top speeds in 1,2,3rd gears, i have to confess, it is was way different from the stock one that i owned.
Thanks for your kind words Avi. Would like you to add your suggestions regarding the service. I have left it and would not take it back unless, I am clear that the car would be trouble free for many more miles to come. So please do tell me if I have overlooked some aspects.
suren181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2008, 15:35   #18
Senior - BHPian
 
kutlee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 1,126
Thanked: 194 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by suren181 View Post
Thanks for your kind words Avi. Would like you to add your suggestions regarding the service. I have left it and would not take it back unless, I am clear that the car would be trouble free for many more miles to come. So please do tell me if I have overlooked some aspects.
yes. you have ovlerlooked the option of turbocharging it.
Btw fantastic maintenance!! I have never been so patient.
kutlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2008, 16:04   #19
BHPian
 
suren181's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 847
Thanked: 8 Times
Default

Trust you to say that kutlee, turbocharging a 76k kms run car eh? What do you want to see, busted internals? Okay, jokes apart do guide me guys. Something tells me I've been overlooking something.
suren181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2008, 21:58   #20
Senior - BHPian
 
PatienceWins's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,157
Thanked: 261 Times
Default

Great review Suren. Wish you a lot more happy miles in the car.

I had a 1999 1000cc Santro and it is indeed a great car.
PatienceWins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2008, 22:13   #21
BHPian
 
suren181's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 847
Thanked: 8 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatienceWins View Post
Great review Suren. Wish you a lot more happy miles in the car.

I had a 1999 1000cc Santro and it is indeed a great car.
Thanks a ton for those wishes patiencewins, however, have got myself a new Verna CRDi, and am addicted to it now. Hope the Santro doesn't get too sentimental about that now. God knows, if you folks have been through this, but, I have feel a car is very owner / driver centric.
suren181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2008, 23:41   #22
Senior - BHPian
 
rider60's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Bhagyanagaram. (A.K.A. Hyderabad)
Posts: 1,619
Thanked: 47 Times
Default

now finally i dig-up this report! congratulations on the same suren bhai! thats one lovely ride i agree!
OT: now i need to even put up the long term owner ship report of the viva and begin one on the swift too! aahhah i am too lazy you see need some inspiration rather some pushing!.
rider60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2008, 22:18   #23
rks
BANNED
 
rks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: ??
Posts: 1,237
Thanked: 8 Times
Default

Missed this thread, great review. I have a 2000 model Santro LS ZipDrive (1 lit) at 76500 kms. Superb car, and engine is at its peak now. Changed shocks and did supension/steering/clutch overhaul at 58000 kms. My stock S322 tubetype tyres lasted 5.5 years and 34000 kms. For past 30000 kms I am on 5J alloy wheels, and also switched to S322 stock-size tubeless tyres (at 35 psi) 10000 kms later. My car is a Speed 97 addict for the past 20000 kms, and boy, does this car move! Yesterday hit 120-130 kmph in heavy rain from Pune to Mumbai and after exit toll gate of Expressway the car was consistently at 140-150 kmph, and not even in full throttle. Terrific pickup, superb handling.

Actually engine overheated yesterday, for the first time in 8 years, just after I had parked in Sion, Mumbai after driving from Pune (could see the temperature gauge shoot up, and hear the coolant boiling). Initially I feared the worst, for I thought that the overspeeding had finally bust the engine. But then I saw that the radiator fan was not coming on and kept the engine in idling (after checking oil level) with AC blower on and set to maximum heating (AC off). Temp indication came down to normal in 5 mts. This morning drove 6 kms to Hyundai Service with AC blower kept at full heating and speed at 40-50 kmph in 4th gear. Engine did not overheat. Found the cooling fan relay to have failed and replaced it for Rs 600.

I have asked the service guys to thoroughly check the engine cooling system, service the AC and also repair the one ugly dent on my rear right panel (over the tyre). Should get the car back tomorrow and looking forward to ripping her to Pune. I love to really pamper this car. Whenever the service guys suggested carbon cleaning/engine flush and throttle body/injector cleaning, I never objected. For the full life of the car I used mainly premium petrol (Speed). Here is a picture of my car, taken near King's Circle Garden (Matunga) in Mumbai, in the rain.

Is she a gleaming beauty at 76500 kms and 8 years, or what. Whoever said that the old Santro is an ugly duckling? Take a good look at her now, for you won't get much of a chance on the highway as she zooms past you.
Attached Thumbnails
Santro Zip Plus LS 2002 - 74,000kms review-image015.jpg  


Last edited by rks : 12th July 2008 at 22:37.
rks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2008, 12:21   #24
BHPian
 
suren181's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 847
Thanked: 8 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rks View Post
Whoever said that the old Santro is an ugly duckling? Take a good look at her now, for you won't get much of a chance on the highway as she zooms past you.
Good one there rks. These cars, if driven well, can really give a few a run for their money. Have had many good times in it and am sure will have many more too. Heres wishing you the same.
suren181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2008, 22:32   #25
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Melbourne, Hyd
Posts: 1,235
Thanked: 23 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by suren181 View Post
Good one there rks. These cars, if driven well, can really give a few a run for their money. Have had many good times in it and am sure will have many more too. Heres wishing you the same.
yeah! I know of at least one bhpain who ran all the way to UK for a turbo kit!!!
kkr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2008, 12:43   #26
BHPian
 
suren181's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 847
Thanked: 8 Times
Default

Hey Raj you naughty fella. You just wait till someone pounces on you and soon.
suren181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2008, 14:15   #27
BHPian
 
suren181's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 847
Thanked: 8 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rks View Post
Actually engine overheated yesterday, for the first time in 8 years, just after I had parked in Sion, Mumbai after driving from Pune (could see the temperature gauge shoot up, and hear the coolant boiling). Initially I feared the worst, for I thought that the overspeeding had finally bust the engine. But then I saw that the radiator fan was not coming on and kept the engine in idling (after checking oil level) with AC blower on and set to maximum heating (AC off). Temp indication came down to normal in 5 mts. This morning drove 6 kms to Hyundai Service with AC blower kept at full heating and speed at 40-50 kmph in 4th gear. Engine did not overheat. Found the cooling fan relay to have failed and replaced it for Rs 600.

I have asked the service guys to thoroughly check the engine cooling system, service the AC and also repair the one ugly dent on my rear right panel (over the tyre).
Could you also ask them to check the radiator thoroughly. The same happened to me and thought it was the fan switch, but turned out to be a choked radiator. So do check that out.

A further update on my Santro is that it's back from service. All fluids have been replaced and so has the Clutch set (consisting of Clutch plate, Pressure plate, Release bearing and Clutch cable). The flywheel was skimmed a bit before the new clutch went on.

Regarding the timing belt, pulley et al, a thorough examination was doen and they belie their age. So is the case with the rubbers like the radiator hoses, the 'V' Belts etc., They still are supple and not hardened up or cracked, or show wear in any way. I was surprised to see the quality of components put in by Hyundai. Even on my insistence, I was advised against a change.

The brake pads and shoes were all of 25,000 kms old and they also have surprisingly stood up against wear. So they were not to be changed.

Overall, the suspension/steering components and every other individual component that went on to build this car was closely inspected for any wear, but fortunately didn't warrant a change and were as good as new even after 6 odd long years and 76,500kms on the ODO.

No evidence of rust, to be found anywhere. This car has not seen a underbody rust coating in it's life. However, during the rare case of floods in Hyderabad, I am known to incarnate myself into a sort of Noah by searching for higher grounds where my Santro could rest. In one such instance had parked my car a few kilometers away and walked through yuck, muck and slush to my apartment block, but could rest easy due to the fact that the Santro was safe and dry and not left high and dry.

Guess, theres been too much banter, but the crux of the matter is the rejuvenation (Mechanical aspect only) for my 6060 has brought in a bill of just Rs. 7,831/-. Oh how I love this car for not making me pay through the pores of my body. So giving but less demanding.
suren181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2008, 14:18   #28
Team-BHP Support
 
bblost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 9,650
Thanked: 6,662 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by suren181 View Post
In one such instance had parked my car a few kilometers away and walked through yuck, muck and slush to my apartment block, but could rest easy due to the fact that the Santro was safe and dry and not left high and dry.
No wonder your car loves you so much.


need a smiley to indicate standing up and saluting.
bblost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2008, 14:52   #29
BHPian
 
suren181's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 847
Thanked: 8 Times
Default

Thank you for those kind words bblost. Must say that after seeing your bullet and the helmet, I can only imagine how immaculate your car must be. Need to see it soon. Next meet maybe Insha Allah.
suren181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2008, 18:21   #30
rks
BANNED
 
rks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: ??
Posts: 1,237
Thanked: 8 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by suren181 View Post
Could you also ask them to check the radiator thoroughly. The same happened to me and thought it was the fan switch, but turned out to be a choked radiator. So do check that out.
Yes, I asked them to check everything and there was no problem with radiator. The cooling fan relay had failed and was replaced. I suspected that the AC was overloading the engine when car was idling and asked them to check that also. Car looks fine now and is back to its old self.

Quote:
Regarding the timing belt, pulley et al, a thorough examination was doen and they belie their age. So is the case with the rubbers like the radiator hoses, the 'V' Belts etc., They still are supple and not hardened up or cracked, or show wear in any way. I was surprised to see the quality of components put in by Hyundai. Even on my insistence, I was advised against a change.
That is interesting. In my case the car has been pushed very hard every week on the Mumbai-Pune route and I might be better off with timing belt replacement at next service (now car has done about 77000 kms). Recommended replacement is at 80000 kms.

Quote:
Overall, the suspension/steering components and every other individual component that went on to build this car was closely inspected for any wear, but fortunately didn't warrant a change and were as good as new even after 6 odd long years and 76,500kms on the ODO.
In my case shocks were replaced at 58000 kms. Steering column and clutch overhaul was also done then. But that is because I used to push this car to its limit around corners and also drove on very bad roads during the last 3 years (now they are much better). Right now the suspension/steering are in very good shape and I am careful not to corner too hard or hit potholes. Need to ask service guys to take a close look at wheel bearings, for I don't want to risk a failure on the highway.

Quote:
Oh how I love this car for not making me pay through the pores of my body. So giving but less demanding.
I love this car too for saving my neck a number of times on the highway (superb handling and maneuverability) and for being so reliable and trouble-free. And absolutely superb engine, seems to be as good as new at 77000 kms and ever eager to rip at 140+ speeds on the Expressway.
rks is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
santro zip plus engine over rev problem althaaf Technical Stuff 13 23rd December 2014 17:31
2 problems with Santro Zip plus!!! loving_alaap Technical Stuff 2 27th April 2009 18:12
Urgently Wanted Santro GS Zip Plus BUSA Shifting gears 0 3rd September 2006 17:22
Width of Santro Zip Plus psynaps3 Hatchbacks 4 15th April 2006 23:14


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 23:18.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks