Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 17th April 2008, 20:26   #16
BHPian
 
gopinathann's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 765
Thanked: 20 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DineshKanna View Post
Hi Gopinathann, i have metallic perl white. If i could get at that price at ABT then i will fix it there or will ask the Khivraj dealer. I do remember 3-4 months back i was asking for the rear spoiler to multiple dealers but only Khivraj said he does it up on booking. Anyway i will check it? Thanks.
ok, then you can see the ITNerd gallery pic (same color) and book your skirting with the dealer, really awesome.
gopinathann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2008, 20:58   #17
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 104
Thanked: 13 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sids911 View Post
My update:
He reiterated that Drive Shafts actually doesnt have any relation with Gearbox.
He confirmed with Maruti engineers and QA.
Hi IT Nerd - thanks for the review. But I think - the drive shaft and hard gear shift are not directly related. I believe that the gear shift in SX4 is of newer & short gap gear shift - that is supposed to be engaged in a kind of two 'click' 'click' motion. It should be a matter of getting used to it. During my 7.5K of driving the SX4 - I have observed - that - per se - there's no problem in the gear engagement. It does engage smoothly, just that the 'click' effect is more pronounced. The only issue i found at times - is that you don't get reverse gear engaged that smoothly.

Your FE numbers are enviable. I get only 10.5 in city and 11.5 in highways. Anyways, have a good time !
nssrini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2008, 21:06   #18
Senior - BHPian
 
1100D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Calcutta
Posts: 4,179
Thanked: 2,360 Times
Default

This looks like a case of a soft-recall. Wherein upgraded parts are retrofitted when cars come in for service.

The Driveshaft change must have been prompted by observation of massive torque steer on the car. Or worse, Maruti might have seen some cases of shaft failure.
1100D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2008, 10:17   #19
Senior - BHPian
 
iTNerd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Imphal/Noida
Posts: 1,069
Thanked: 500 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nssrini View Post
Hi IT Nerd - thanks for the review. But I think - the drive shaft and hard gear shift are not directly related. I believe that the gear shift in SX4 is of newer & short gap gear shift - that is supposed to be engaged in a kind of two 'click' 'click' motion. It should be a matter of getting used to it. During my 7.5K of driving the SX4 - I have observed - that - per se - there's no problem in the gear engagement. It does engage smoothly, just that the 'click' effect is more pronounced. The only issue i found at times - is that you don't get reverse gear engaged that smoothly.

I am aware they are not related.. but as i mentioned, along with the drive shaft replacement, the service guys also worked on the gears when I complained of it being hard, and at times, getting stuck. What the drive shaft replacement did was to enhance driving in the lower torque gears.. like before, when I had to make the car move from standstill, go gear 1,2 and slowly floor the accelerator, and then you'll know what I meant.. the torque is so slow, that the car can't accelerate fast, and if you floor the accelerator, either you are being welcome with noiser engine, or the ghak ghak sound (jerk). I think this is probably why the dealer changed the shaft. Might be possible that Maruti is aware of this big issue in SX4, and that they have modified the drive shaft, which is exactly what I hear from my service manager.

And as I mentioned earlier, the drive is definitely different after the shaft-replacement, i.e, it is much smoother and driving at gear 1,2 is as good as 3,4,5 (don't take literally though) in that, it is responsive and power delivery is instant. Even if I assume that I have a defective drive shaft and that the dealer knew about this, and they changed them. But if that was the case, from the similar complains I hear from SX4 owners, it implies, they too have defective shafts!


Quote:
Your FE numbers are enviable. I get only 10.5 in city and 11.5 in highways. Anyways, have a good time !
yes, for me the FE is far more that what I expected. In worse drive (high speed chase and erratic driving) in City, I get a little more than 11 kmpl. If driven with a very light foot and well below 2000 - 2500 rpm, I get magical figure of 13-13.5 kmpl with AC set at the minimum. I think its more to do with the City you live in. Delhi-NCR being better in term of red-lights, roads etc. compared to other cities. Also, one factor is that I do most of my commute during weekends.

Last edited by iTNerd : 18th April 2008 at 10:32.
iTNerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2008, 11:47   #20
BHPian
 
sids911's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Pune, India
Posts: 384
Thanked: 39 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nssrini View Post
I believe that the gear shift in SX4 is of newer & short gap gear shift - that is supposed to be engaged in a kind of two 'click' 'click' motion. It should be a matter of getting used to it.
Yes, till it is clicking, like a proper short shift should, then its okay. But when it sounds more "thak,thak" than "click ,click" then it becomes irritating.

ITNerd, can you confirm from your engineer, if this modified drive shaft is to be installed in every SX4 or was it just for your car? Further, is there an official communication from Maruti about this?

Thanks,
sids911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2008, 16:03   #21
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Delhi
Posts: 187
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Attention: All SX4 owners

Got this from OMishra...and posting for benfit of all

Here is some update for you. Please cut paste this message to appropriate website forum too.

At this time my car is with Dealer workshop for last 3 days for 10K KM service. During this time I sat with the mechanic and my doubts are confirmed.
Low end vibrations are due to week Engine mounts and less pickup is due to change in front drive shaft assembly. Both are redesigned and altered by MUL and circular is out with Dealers.

Exact part numbers and changes, differences after change I can tell after I get my car on Monday evening.

Pls check with your dealers/workshops if your Car is also having clutch/acclerator pedal vibrations or judder while moving from stop in 1st gear.

Pls update this thread with feedback too if any.
Shankyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2008, 17:49   #22
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Pune
Posts: 268
Thanked: 10 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shankyz View Post
Attention: All SX4 owners

Got this from OMishra...and posting for benfit of all

Here is some update for you. Please cut paste this message to appropriate website forum too.

At this time my car is with Dealer workshop for last 3 days for 10K KM service. During this time I sat with the mechanic and my doubts are confirmed.
Low end vibrations are due to week Engine mounts and less pickup is due to change in front drive shaft assembly. Both are redesigned and altered by MUL and circular is out with Dealers.

Exact part numbers and changes, differences after change I can tell after I get my car on Monday evening.

Pls check with your dealers/workshops if your Car is also having clutch/acclerator pedal vibrations or judder while moving from stop in 1st gear.

Pls update this thread with feedback too if any.
Clarification: - It seems to me car specific problems. If your car has issue then only they are replacing at time of service. (I think recent batch don't have any such issues). Let me catch hold of details on Monday. Its difficult time for me without car as we are waiting for part to arrive from warehouse to workshop on Monday.

There is no issue of gear shift, gear/clutch vibration with my car.

Now going with Mobil1 SuperSyn 5W50, @900Rs/Liter. I bought 4+1 Liters of it, as SX4 requires 4.4 Liter Max and 4.0 Liters Min Oil. Putting 4.2 now and keeping remaining for top up (if required).
omishra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2008, 12:53   #23
BHPian
 
sids911's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Pune, India
Posts: 384
Thanked: 39 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by omishra View Post
Clarification: - It seems to me car specific problems. If your car has issue then only they are replacing at time of service. (I think recent batch don't have any such issues). Let me catch hold of details on Monday. Its difficult time for me without car as we are waiting for part to arrive from warehouse to workshop on Monday.
I guess Ram would be able to clarify about the things.

And three days for a service! isnt that a lot??
sids911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2008, 13:34   #24
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 4
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Hello... Have you done anything on the Back seat to avoid the Bulky projection of the hand rest? People told me we can cover this while doing seat cover... But i dobt on the Finishing...
biju.ck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2008, 15:44   #25
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Pune
Posts: 268
Thanked: 10 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sids911 View Post
I guess Ram would be able to clarify about the things.

And three days for a service! isnt that a lot??
3 days include
Friday - color touch to all four corners on bumper 1 day.
Saturday- waiting for spares 1 day (meanwhile myself looking out for Mobil1)
Sunday no work 1 day
Monday complete work+ test 1day

Last edited by omishra : 28th April 2008 at 15:46.
omishra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2008, 18:05   #26
BHPian
 
sids911's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Pune, India
Posts: 384
Thanked: 39 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by omishra View Post
3 days include
Friday - color touch to all four corners on bumper 1 day.
Saturday- waiting for spares 1 day (meanwhile myself looking out for Mobil1)
Sunday no work 1 day
Monday complete work+ test 1day
Ok. So you managed to get the details on improved engine mounts and drive shafts? Any part numbers you can share?
sids911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2008, 21:55   #27
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Pune
Posts: 268
Thanked: 10 Times
Default

Here are changes -
1. Engine mounts
2. Both front drive assemblies.
3. Engine Oil (Mobil1 SuperSyn)
4. Oil Filter
5. Some plastic clips under front fender.

Drive experience after change -
1. Engine vibration from standstill to motion: It improved drastically, i can see releasing clutch slowly on plan surface without acceleration doesn't produce any vibration. On uphill it is reduced by 90% (still I can feel little bit of vibration, 10% compared prior to change)<- I think this is common.
2. Uphill stop and go: This is also not having any major vibration and same as above 1.
3.Power: Certainly now if I did not press accelerator then engine is not dieing for power. It balances car with idle rpm on our buildings parking ramp without knocking. I need to floor accelerator to move ahead. On more slop I need to give little acceleration but car moves responsively.
Responsiveness of car increased.
4. Effect of Mobil1: I have to find out because initial observation about temperature, it is stable at 1/2 position. Noise and power I could not make difference in my 25 KM driving.

THIS WAS THE ACTUAL CAR SX4 -I WAS EXPECTING.

About changes - This was for certain cars, Dealer have circular mentioning chassis number. During service they are changing it.

now part lists is here -
SX4 - rocking at 6000 kms-sx4bill.jpg

Last edited by omishra : 28th April 2008 at 22:03.
omishra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2008, 08:36   #28
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Delhi
Posts: 187
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

I see that they have replaced "engine mounts" for your car, maybe they added a layer which absorbs the vibrations and doesn;t transfer them to the chassis, but for doing it they would have to physically remove the engine from the bay and replace the mounts, which looks like a complex and time consuming task or is there a simpler way too?

The judder experienced while moving from stop in 1st gear and also in stop and go traffic is completely gone or reduced?

I don't know about your car, but if you exceed 2.5k rpm, vibrations can be felt in accelerator and clutch pedals. Can you try and share with us if the new setup resolves this issue too?

Thanks in advance
Shankyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2008, 10:03   #29
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Pune
Posts: 268
Thanked: 10 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shankyz View Post
for doing it they would have to physically remove the engine from the bay and replace the mounts, which looks like a complex and time consuming task or is there a simpler way too?
I could not see it personally. But I think they just loosen all bolts and remove only bolts which are near to mount. raise the engine little bit and put the new mount from bottom side. Still for this task car was there for complete day.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shankyz View Post
The judder experienced while moving from stop in 1st gear and also in stop and go traffic is completely gone or reduced?
Yes, I just checked in morning. Its gone. Car is very powerful and responsive in lower gear low rpm, smooth in terms of vibrations.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shankyz View Post
I don't know about your car, but if you exceed 2.5k rpm, vibrations can be felt in accelerator and clutch pedals. Can you try and share with us if the new setup resolves this issue too?
Prior to change, I had only issue of car vibration in 1st gear during stop-start, jurks/knocks in engaging any gear or 1st gear crawl. Also sluggish response and lack of power on uphill slope, vibration and kind of engine knocking.

In my last trip, I have done upto 140KM/h occasionally and 120km/h constant for 25 min on Pune-Mumbai E'way with upto 3.5k-4k rpm. But I did not experience any vibration in accelerator. I don't remember touching clutch during that time. I can update you when again I get chance to travel on E'way. (may be during next 2 weeks time)
omishra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2008, 11:01   #30
BHPian
 
sids911's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Pune, India
Posts: 384
Thanked: 39 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by omishra View Post
I could not see it personally. But I think they just loosen all bolts and remove only bolts which are near to mount. raise the engine little bit and put the new mount from bottom side. Still for this task car was there for complete day.

Yes, I just checked in morning. Its gone. Car is very powerful and responsive in lower gear low rpm, smooth in terms of vibrations.
Thanks Omishra,

Can you get the Chassis no. range from your dealer which Maruti is changing parts for?
My dealer here is still unaware of anything such

Thanks..
sids911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tadoba Andhari Tiger Reserve - Rocking Subrat Seet Travelogues 34 11th May 2011 16:23
Maruti 800-JBLed and rocking! Share my elation and double it! arindambasu13 In-Car Entertainment 17 13th May 2008 20:45
02 Honda City with Rocking interiors for SALE zeeshan suleman Shifting gears 8 29th July 2007 22:47
Toyota Corolla H2 (2006) 6000+ kms report samirsarkar Long-Term Ownership Reviews 19 5th June 2007 16:34
hi jpl here...keep rocking all bhpians JPL Introduce yourself 3 14th December 2006 20:30


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 19:42.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks