Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 24th September 2012, 16:48   #361
Senior - BHPian

Smile re: My Ford Fiesta 1.6 SXI - I'm Nine, doing Fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drift King View Post
I wish to purchase a new Ford Classic Duratec LXi (Base version). The dealer a quoting an OTR price of ~6 Lacs. Request any owners of a Ford Fiesta Duratec to advise on performance/specs/mileage/maintenance etc. Any info will be really helpful.

3. Is it advisable to get the security system as an additional from the Dealer itself? or will after-market models be better?

4. Any advice/suggestions on a decent-performance ICE will be highly appreciated. I need a good HU, 4/6 speakers, mid-range Amp, 1 Sub-woofer.

5. The base version does not come with a leather-wrapped steering wheel. Is it possible to get one as an additional factory-fitted part? The Dealer is offering one as an accessory and claiming it to be a genuine Ford part.
@Driftking
For performance/specs/mileage/maintenance etc related queries, request you to read Fiesta ownership threads, this will give an insight to most of your doubts.

Reg Addtional security system, I dont think that is neccessary as Fiesta comes with Immobilizer (PATS) which does its job perfectly. I found the Music system in Fiesta very effective, my personal opinion the stock HU does its job but choice may differ. Reg the steering wheel cover,check the one which the dealer is offering and compate the look and feel with the one available at the hign end variants. This should tell you more about the quality. Hope this helps.

One suggestion, If you want more answers to your questions start a thread in Sedan section of What car segment, you will get more that you expect.
ghodlur is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2012, 17:12   #362
BHPian

Default re: My Ford Fiesta 1.6 SXI - I'm Nine, doing Fine

Thanks @ghodlur @vnabhi

I am unable to start a new thread, being a newbie. Hence decided to post my queries here.

@ghodlur - the base version does not come with the music system. The dealer is quoting 18K for the system installed in Titanium version. I wanted to ask whether the Ford system will be better at that price or woud an after-market system be a better deal?

Incidentally, even the Titanium version does not have a leather-wrapped steering wheel as standard.
Drift King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2012, 18:39   #363
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks @ghodlur @vnabhi

I am unable to start a new thread, being a newbie. Hence decided to post my queries here.

@ghodlur - the base version does not come with the music system. The dealer is quoting 18K for the system installed in Titanium version. I wanted to ask whether the Ford system will be better at that price or woud an after-market system be a better deal?

Incidentally, even the Titanium version does not have a leather-wrapped steering wheel as standard.
Though I don't have one in my car, but the OEM setup from Ford is wonderful actually, I have heard it in one of my colleagues' car. But considering the cost involved, it would be wise to look at options outside too. You could look for Pioneer or Blaupunkt head units which have a wonderful range for double din players and since you're also looking to add a woofer and amplifier, you would get better products outside and go for a good deal from dealers outside.

Do you even require a double din player or a normal head unit would suffice for you ?

Being close to year end, you could also try to push the FORD dealer for a hefty discount on an overall package.

I would like to say again, I have found all the FORD OEM products to be fantastic.
Fiest@DuraTec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2012, 19:03   #364
BHPian

I agree with you on the discount part.. In fact, the Dealer sales guy did hint at getting accessories instead of a cash discount because the rupee value of the accessories would be much more vis-a-vis cash discount. My issue was I was not sure whether the Ford genuine accessories would be good.

ICE - A double DIN would definitely be better. Will have to seriously research on the Pioneer/JBL/Blaupunkt models and study the permutations for the speakers-amp-sub woofer combination.

Alloys - I asked them if i can get the new Ford Fiesta alloys instead of the steel rims and how much will i be charged for it. Apparently, the steel rims fetch no price from the Dealer but could be sold for about 1K a piece outside. The new Fiesta alloys are 15" and look good.

As of now, these are the things I 'negotiated' on with the Dealer -

1. Changing the headlamp units to Titanium version (which are chrome covered)
2. Changing the rims at the Dealer itself (switch to alloy, self-bought or from the Dealer)
3. Changing the steering wheel to a leather-stitched one. Dealer claims that it is original Ford equipment and about half-inch smaller than the regular steering wheel (which makes it even better)
4. Changing the front grille from black to chrome. Dealer does not have chrome in stock and is offering a silver painted one
5. I asked about installing a air-filter or a CAI and will it be possible? He rolled his eyes and said he has no idea what I am talking about
6. Changing the exhaust tip to chrome (from Titanium)
7 Rub Rails / Side beading - complimentary
8 Rear parking sensor - complimentary
9 Footmats / Mudflaps - complimentary
10 Keyless entry from Titanium model - has to confirm the price
11 Fog Lamps - has to confirm the price

Most of the above things perplexed him quite about and his explanation was that he has never had a customer asking all these questions!!!

The Dealer still has to get back to me regarding the possibility of these changes/modifications. I am also hoping that Ford comes out with some good festive offers with Diwali/Dhanteras just around the corner.
Old 24th September 2012, 21:22   #365
Senior - BHPian

@Drift King---I suggest you wait for offers during Dusshera/ Diwali and then take a shot.

I am surprised that the new Titanium does not have a leather-wrapped steering cover. And it costs Rs 9.8 lacs in Hyd!! Perhaps it will cost around 50 grand less if there are discounts.

As regards alloys, you have a choice of Ford alloys Vs after-market ones like Plati and Lenso. In my case, I paid 24 K for 4 Ford alloys of Hindalco make. They are holding good till now. But the after-market ones would have been cheaper.
vnabhi is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2012, 09:07   #366
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Most of the above things perplexed him quite about and his explanation was that he has never had a customer asking all these questions!!!

The Dealer still has to get back to me regarding the possibility of these changes/modifications. I am also hoping that Ford comes out with some good festive offers with Diwali/Dhanteras just around the corner.
In addition to the above, negotiate hard with the dealer to throw in the door sill, Anti rust under body coating as freebies. Also try to get the biege floor carpet laminated as it tends to get dirty very soon.

As Venu sir rightly said, wait till Dussera/Diwali, Ford is bound to give some hefty discounts. meanwhile get a copy of the latest accessory price list and keep a mental calculation ready, if the cash discounts offered is less than intended accessory cost, ask them to adjust the cash discount again the accessories, else pick up the cash discount.

If the SA was perplexed, then tell him to wait till you start the PDI. He will definitely ask where did you get the info from. Then thump your chest and guide him to team BHP.
Old 25th September 2012, 12:35   #367
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
@Drift King---I suggest you wait for offers during Dusshera/ Diwali and then take a shot.
Thanks Venu Sir.
I have informed the Dealer to keep me posted about any new schemes for the Ford Classic. He has hinted at another discount of ~15K towards month-end. This would take the total discount to approx 30K.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
In addition to the above, negotiate hard with the dealer to throw in the door sill, Anti rust under body coating as freebies. Also try to get the biege floor carpet laminated as it tends to get dirty very soon.

If the SA was perplexed, then tell him to wait till you start the PDI. He will definitely ask where did you get the info from. Then thump your chest and guide him to team BHP.
Thanks Girish.
Someone once suggested that lamination is not a good idea for the carpets and mats, since it doesnt allow the car to 'breathe' and interior becomes a lil stuffy/damp. Your views on this!
Also, I was interested in getting a paint treatment done against a teflon coating. Any suggestions (like 3M etc).
The 'SA interaction' part is duly noted and will try to post the look-on-his-face pic

Going slightly offtopic - pardon me since i am unable to start a new thread as of now.

This might be a little late to ask, but when i started to scout and research on which car to buy, I had the following things in mind. Has to be a sedan, petrol (running is about 20-30 kms/day average) and a drivers car.

Initially I zeroed in on the following -
- Honda City (CE) : Its a Honda, period. But the CE is a really stripped down version and considering E or S was beyond budget. The CE has black interiors which is a big downshift from the beige interiors and lacks other basic features also. It also lacks the front seat armrest (which makes driving more comfortable). Plus, there was a waiting period for the CE version and so obviously no discounts.

- VW Vento Baseline : The car is great and considerable difference in ride and comfort compared to others. But again, the base is quite plain from inside and even the base version is higher priced. Also, there were some negative reports about VW service centers in Delhi.

- Ford Classic Lxi : This seemed the better choice amongst all considering performance/features/price.

- Renault Duster (Petrol) : This has cropped up recently after reading reviews on TBHP and seeing some Dusters on the road. Being a SUV, I assume the mileage would be lower than a comparabe sedan. Morover, I am unable to find a petrol Duster review, since all of them on TBHP are diesel versions. The price fits very well with me since its a SUV and I am looking for a base version only.

Request your views if any of the above options need to be relooked and will really appreciate any advice regarding the petrol Duster.

Thanks.
Old 25th September 2012, 12:51   #368
BHPian

Quote:
My issue was I was not sure whether the Ford genuine accessories would be good.
Ford Accessories are very good in my opinion.

Quote:
ICE - A double DIN would definitely be better. Will have to seriously research on the Pioneer/JBL/Blaupunkt models and study the permutations for the speakers-amp-sub woofer combination.
Yep, look outside for a combination of a double din player, speaker-amp-sub. When you go in for such a purchase, dealers outside have a pretty good package available. Make sure to compare the same with the double din player of Ford.

Quote:
Alloys - I asked them if i can get the new Ford Fiesta alloys instead of the steel rims and how much will i be charged for it. Apparently, the steel rims fetch no price from the Dealer but could be sold for about 1K a piece outside. The new Fiesta alloys are 15" and look good.
I know the 15" alloys look cool, but did you ask the dealer if he is willing to take back the stock tyres ? fyi, the stock tyres in fiesta are 14" Goodyear/Apollo, if you upgrade to 15", you'll be left out with 5 rims + 5 tyres which won't fetch you much outside. Try and negotiate with the dealer if he can give you a deal on this.

Not that I am sure of, but please also check with the dealer on the warranty of suspension. Though you're changing the alloys with the dealer, but the change in size may be an issue. I know the 1.6S used to come with 15", but you never know the gimmicks these dealers play along. Take care that it is clearly sorted out that warranty would not void when you're switching to bigger alloys, even though its FORD genuine or whatever.

Quote:
3. Changing the steering wheel to a leather-stitched one. Dealer claims that it is original Ford equipment and about half-inch smaller than the regular steering wheel (which makes it even better)
Whats the price for this ?

Quote:
11 Fog Lamps - has to confirm the price
You would end up paying close to 5k for a pair of these.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Totally agree with Venu sir, let Dusshera/Diwali come, there will be a flurry of discounts till year end. Also, please talk to multiple dealers if you're not too keen on the same dealer for a particular reason.
Old 25th September 2012, 13:00   #369
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Someone once suggested that lamination is not a good idea for the carpets and mats, since it doesnt allow the car to 'breathe' and interior becomes a lil stuffy/damp. Your views on this!
Also, I was interested in getting a paint treatment done against a teflon coating. Any suggestions (like 3M etc).
I am hearing for the first time that lamination is bad coz from my experience the biege floor carpet in my Fiesta has turned grey esp the hump area (Transmission tunnel) at the rear since my son occupies the rear seat most of times. I will be shortly going for the new carpet replacement. You can have seperate mats on the top of the floor carpet which will keep the dust away form the floor carpet.

IMO the paint treatment is essential if you go for dark metallic colour car and when the colour normally starts looking a bit faded and not on the new purchase. Experts can comment on this. Teflon coating is a waste of money, ne real benefits.
ghodlur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2012, 13:03   #370
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiest@DuraTec View Post

Whats the price for this ?

You would end up paying close to 5k for a pair of these.

The leather-wrapped steering wheel is about 4K. Its stitched and quality of stitching was good. The center portion wil be used from the original. i.e the horn button area. The metal frame of the steering wheel has "Ford" stamped in it. Not sure if that is proof enough of genuine.

Its available in Beige and Black. (My choice is black )

The fog lamps are for 4K.
Old 25th September 2012, 13:19   #371
BHPian

Quote:
IMO the paint treatment is essential if you go for dark metallic colour car and when the colour normally starts looking a bit faded and not on the new purchase. Experts can comment on this. Teflon coating is a waste of money, ne real benefits.
I agree !! Paint Treatment is not required right now, a simple polish/wax job would be enough for the next 2-3 years. Teflon coating is nothing, total waste.

@DriftKing : What color are you planning for ? Would your car be exposed to some extreme climate ? Would you be parking directly under the sun ? If not, don't go for paint treatment etc right now. Mine is a 5 year old, shines like a charm with a wax job once in 6-7 months.
Old 23rd October 2012, 12:36   #372
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rastapopoulos View Post
Off topic - but then this is where most of the Fiesta owners tend to visit (all those fiesta owners who bought Fiestas 3-4 years back and were in the list created by Vnabhi)
In a way elsewhere, Vnabhi has encouraged me to go ahead and replace the damaged bumper of my Fiesta. Still I have a query about its cost. The story is as follows:

I have got the front bumper of my Fiesta damaged the other day. The little damage is inside the fog lamp socket, which the ford body-shop people are not sure of doing a 100% perfect denting. Even then they say that it requires painting after whatever they can do on the bumper. Although it is not immediately visible, I feel it should have been at least repairable. It is not a good feeling to have a front bumper with some twist inside the fog-lamp socket. I also got a long scratch visible above the left headlight on the front bumper, plus a couple of other scratches. A painting work was anyway due for quite sometime.

So I have been contemplating on replacing it as well with a new one. The classic's bumper, one dealer says, costs INR 2800/- plus painting expense. Can anyone guide me, is it a realistic quote?

Plus, I am also planning to equip it with a reverse parking camera, GPS, etc. What about fitting a parking sensor and camera at the same time? After about one and half years of careful driving, I see myself hitting the rear on small things inviting marks...

I feel that my 1.4 SXI runs well otherwise, though I am at time tempted to attempt an exchange offer with the new global Fiesta. But there are other considerations, of course. Recently I reported to the workshop that I was getting only 13.5 kms/L in the city, since Ford had claimed a bigger average. They changed the air-filter, but after then I was getting a still less 12.5 to 13 ikms/l only maximum! The other day, they did a computerised tuning again, and assured me of a better result. They claimed that the tyre dimension was not actually fed into the system of the vehicle, and therefore the fuel injecting was happening without any clue... I don't know.

Vipin.

Last edited by Vipin Kumar : 23rd October 2012 at 12:39.
Vipin Kumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2012, 12:42   #373
Senior - BHPian

Red face re: My Ford Fiesta 1.6 SXI - I'm Nine, doing Fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipin Kumar View Post
So I have been contemplating on replacing it as well with a new one. The classic's bumper, one dealer says, costs INR 2800/- plus painting expense. Can anyone guide me, is it a realistic quote?
Whattt? 2800/- for a new bumper. I dont believe it. I was given a quote by the local Ford dealer of Rs 4500/- for the bumper painting (Front or rear). The bumper replacement would cost rs 4000/- + Rs 4500/- for painting. If you are quoted Rs 2800 for bumper, then something is amiss. If you confirm the price again, I will run over the ford workshop guys here.
ghodlur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2012, 12:55   #374
BHPian

Quote:
Whattt? 2800/- for a new bumper. I dont believe it. I was given a quote by the local Ford dealer of Rs 4500/- for the bumper painting (Front or rear). The bumper replacement would cost rs 4000/- + Rs 4500/- for painting. If you are quoted Rs 2800 for bumper, then something is amiss. If you confirm the price again, I will run over the ford workshop guys here.
Yes, that's what people at the MGS Ford bodyshop told me. Yes, they also said that the labour cost will be extra. And the painting, of course, costs the same. Later in the day, I went to Narain Ford workshop, and they quote Rs.4600/- for the front bumper of the classic Fiesta--not different from the story you tell me! I never imagined it costs that much. Look at the cost of a spare bumper of the Fluidic Verna, it doesn't come anywhere near. Painting, I read somewhere here, costs as much as Rs.5000/-.

I am amassing some spare money that can potentially meet the requirement.

Dear ghodlur, Are you using any reverse parking sensor or camera in your Fiesta? Could you let me know?

Vipin.

Last edited by Vipin Kumar : 25th October 2012 at 12:56.
Vipin Kumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2012, 13:11   #375
Senior - BHPian

Red face re: My Ford Fiesta 1.6 SXI - I'm Nine, doing Fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipin Kumar View Post
Dear ghodlur, Are you using any reverse parking sensor or camera in your Fiesta? Could you let me know?
Vipin,

No, I dont have parking sensor nor camera in my Fiesta although few months back was contemplating of putting one. Then realized the rear bumper which already has few scratches can take a few more if at all I mis judge anytime. Thought of getting bumper painted, but costs and ever bulging traffic conditions made me rethink.