Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 2nd January 2013, 10:43   #391
BHPian
 
kopakabana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Glasgow, UK
Posts: 65
Thanked: 44 Times
Default re: My Ford Fiesta 1.6 SXI - I'm Nine, doing Fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
The reason I asked is apart from the regular 6month/10K servicing is there anything which needs to be done once the car clocks 30K. .
-.
The regular service should be sufficient unless you are experiencing some other problem/issue. There is no special things to be taken care of @ 30k. As rightly pointed out by vnabhi, check the brake pads, suspension and also wheel alignment.

The 3M detaling at Ford A$$ is not worth IMO. Skip it. You can try at some other trusted workshop.
kopakabana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2013, 18:38   #392
BHPian
 
mbz180's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 800
Thanked: 449 Times
Default re: My Ford Fiesta 1.6 SXI - I'm Nine, doing Fine

Hi guys,

This is my first post outside the Vintage & Classic car section of Team-Bhp. I've been reading this thread with great interest as I've just bought a used 2007 Fiesta 1.6 SXI with 52K on it. It was owned by a senior in our office and a few days back he decided to upgrade to the new Honda City and sell the Fiesta so I couldn't resist.

I took the car for a drive and returned with a huge smile! The car actually scared me the first time I pressed the gas pedal as I wasn't prepared for the sudden acceleration but what a well balanced car. Crisp and short shifts, good steering feedback (a little too much at times, I thought), great interiors and a super smooth engine. So I bought the car without batting an eyelid as I'd seen the car in office for the past 2 years and it seemed to be well maintained, the black paint still quite shiny and interiors in good shape.

I have a few questions which I hope you guys can help me with:

1) The seat and seat back material with perforations, as well as the door pad area with perforations is supposedly leather, the rest is vinyl. What is the best way to clean the leather and vinyl? There are no cracks or tears.

2) There are 2 knobs on the instrument cluster, 1 on the bottom right of the Rev counter and 1 on the bottom left of the Speedo. I know one is to reset the trip meter but does the other have any function? By any chance does it control the intensity of the backlit display?

3) I need to get the the car serviced and the car has always been maintained by the ASC in Calcutta, Ganges Ford. Should I stick to ASC or should I take it to a reputed private workshop?

4) Everything in the car seems to be fine except for a 'khhrrr' noise when the engine is cranked for the first time in the morning. After that the noise doesn't recur on subsequent cranking. I asked the former owner about this and he said that the noise has been there in the first crank for a year but since it never created a problem, might as well ignore it. Any ideas as to what may be causing this?


Thanks in advance.

Prithvi
mbz180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2013, 18:59   #393
Senior - BHPian
 
vnabhi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: DC -> DC
Posts: 5,036
Thanked: 1,038 Times
Default re: My Ford Fiesta 1.6 SXI - I'm Nine, doing Fine

@mbz180---I use Amway leather cleaning solution for past 5 years once in 3 months, and it has been a good experience.

As regards that noise on starting, please get it checked up by the A.S.S.

I am not sure about the knob you are referring to. Can you please post a pic?

As regards service, I guess until Ford parts are available freely in the market, one has no choice but to go to the dealer, especially when part changes are needed.


And BTW, congrats for your new acquisition! Have loads of fun.

Last edited by vnabhi : 3rd January 2013 at 19:06.
vnabhi is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2013, 11:36   #394
BHPian
 
yogi1771's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: mumbai
Posts: 629
Thanked: 14 Times
Default re: My Ford Fiesta 1.6 SXI - I'm Nine, doing Fine

No mbz180 only the the trip meter reset knob works.The other knob is redundant.
yogi1771 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2013, 15:35   #395
BHPian
 
jerry can's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 90
Thanked: 62 Times
Default re: My Ford Fiesta 1.6 SXI - I'm Nine, doing Fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbz180 View Post
Hi guys,


2) There are 2 knobs on the instrument cluster, 1 on the bottom right of the Rev counter and 1 on the bottom left of the Speedo. I know one is to reset the trip meter but does the other have any function? By any chance does it control the intensity of the backlit display?
Hi, I have a Ford Fusion 1.6 Duratec with the same 2 knobs, on mine the one on the left is to reset the Trip meter and the one on the right toggles the top display between time and 'distance to empty'. I'm not sure about the Fiesta but it ought to be the same.
jerry can is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2013, 15:44   #396
BHPian
 
mbz180's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 800
Thanked: 449 Times
Default re: My Ford Fiesta 1.6 SXI - I'm Nine, doing Fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry can View Post
Hi, I have a Ford Fusion 1.6 Duratec with the same 2 knobs, on mine the one on the left is to reset the Trip meter and the one on the right toggles the top display between time and 'distance to empty'. I'm not sure about the Fiesta but it ought to be the same.
Hi jerry can, by "time" do you mean a clock? I don't think that the knob on the Fiesta will have the same toggle function since the car already has an OEM clock with an outside temp display alongside. I'll check it out though. .

BTW, is there any way at all that the instrument back lighting can be dimmed and brightened?

Thanks
mbz180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2013, 16:00   #397
BHPian
 
jerry can's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 90
Thanked: 62 Times
Default re: My Ford Fiesta 1.6 SXI - I'm Nine, doing Fine

@mbz, there's no way to dim the instrument cluster back lighting on my car, maybe some Fiesta owners can throw some 'light' on that
btw. since your car already has an external clock, have you checked if the right knob toggles between normal Trip meter reading and 'Distance to empty' reading. If i remember correctly, that was the case in a Fiesta SXI that i drove a while back.
jerry can is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2013, 16:39   #398
BHPian
 
jerry can's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 90
Thanked: 62 Times
Default re: My Ford Fiesta 1.6 SXI - I'm Nine, doing Fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
As for the dreaded engine/ drive train warning light, it came on twice this winter on early morning starts, when the outside temperature was below 22 deg C.
@vnabhi; I seem to have figured out a solution for the dreaded engine check/service warning light on my Fusion 1.6 Duratec.
Since late November i had been experiencing intermittent occurrences of the warning coming on and the throttle becoming unresponsive, on early morning cold starts. As the ambient temp dropped further (Delhi winters) sometimes multiple restarts were required before i could get going. I went to Ford Service here in delhi a few times but as usual they had no clue or solution other than a multiple sensor (and multiple figure Rs Rs) replacement. It was then that out of frustration i started trying to figure it out myself.
After racking my brains for a couple of weeks i zeroed in on the TMAP sensor, as the issue was somehow related to ambient temp as well as the throttle (immediate throttle to about 4k rpm often helped). So last weekend i armed myself with a good quality Electrical Contact Cleaner and drove to my regular mechanic, asked him to remove the air hose so i could reach the TMAP sensor. Once i had unscrewed the sensor i saw it was not very dirty but there was a bit of liquid gummy residue on it. I sprayed the sensor generously with the Contact Cleaner and waited for it to dry. Once i was convinced that it was totally clean and dry. i screwed it back on, spray cleaned the Throttle Body and reattached the hose.
There was hardly any perceptible difference immediately. But next morning at 7 degrees C there was no warning light! And since then the mercury has plummeted to 4 degrees and even lower, but guess what? No warning lights at all for 7 days! I dunno if this is 'The' fix but hoping it is, as it this was big bug for me and am sure for a lot of other people. I'll keep you posted on the situation if the 'Light' comes back

P.S. If anyone wants, I can post a slightly more detailed post or thread with pictures of the TMAP and its location, etc.
jerry can is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2013, 18:28   #399
Senior - BHPian
 
vnabhi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: DC -> DC
Posts: 5,036
Thanked: 1,038 Times
Default re: My Ford Fiesta 1.6 SXI - I'm Nine, doing Fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry can View Post
@vnabhi; I seem to have figured out a solution for the dreaded engine check/service warning light on my Fusion 1.6 Duratec.
Since late November i had been experiencing intermittent occurrences of the warning coming on and the throttle becoming unresponsive, on early morning cold starts. As the ambient temp dropped further (Delhi winters) sometimes multiple restarts were required before i could get going. I went to Ford Service here in delhi a few times but as usual they had no clue or solution other than a multiple sensor (and multiple figure Rs Rs) replacement. It was then that out of frustration i started trying to figure it out myself.
After racking my brains for a couple of weeks i zeroed in on the TMAP sensor, as the issue was somehow related to ambient temp as well as the throttle (immediate throttle to about 4k rpm often helped). So last weekend i armed myself with a good quality Electrical Contact Cleaner and drove to my regular mechanic, asked him to remove the air hose so i could reach the TMAP sensor. Once i had unscrewed the sensor i saw it was not very dirty but there was a bit of liquid gummy residue on it. I sprayed the sensor generously with the Contact Cleaner and waited for it to dry. Once i was convinced that it was totally clean and dry. i screwed it back on, spray cleaned the Throttle Body and reattached the hose.
There was hardly any perceptible difference immediately. But next morning at 7 degrees C there was no warning light! And since then the mercury has plummeted to 4 degrees and even lower, but guess what? No warning lights at all for 7 days! I dunno if this is 'The' fix but hoping it is, as it this was big bug for me and am sure for a lot of other people. I'll keep you posted on the situation if the 'Light' comes back

P.S. If anyone wants, I can post a slightly more detailed post or thread with pictures of the TMAP and its location, etc.
Wow, that seems to be a great discovery! Can you please post pics with detailed instructions? And what is a TMAP sensor? How does one remove the air hose, and where is the throttle body?
vnabhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2013, 03:37   #400
BHPian
 
jerry can's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 90
Thanked: 62 Times
Default re: My Ford Fiesta 1.6 SXI - I'm Nine, doing Fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Wow, that seems to be a great discovery! Can you please post pics with detailed instructions? And what is a TMAP sensor? How does one remove the air hose, and where is the throttle body?
It's actually the MAP (Manifold Absolute Pressure) Sensor that tells the ECU about the pressure and temp of the air coming from the air filter to the manifold. The air outlet hose can be removed by loosening its 2 clamps using needle nosed pliers but you have to be careful as the same clamps have to be put back and tightly. The Throttle body is at the end of the air pipe, where it meets the manifold.
I've put the whole process in a new thread for everyone's benefit, here:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ml#post3007487

Hope this helps

__
jerry can is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2013, 10:10   #401
Senior - BHPian
 
vnabhi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: DC -> DC
Posts: 5,036
Thanked: 1,038 Times
Default re: My Ford Fiesta 1.6 SXI - I'm Nine, doing Fine

Thank you for the fantastic thread @jerry can! I've posted some questions on your thread.

Do update us over the coming months, as winters in Delhi last long. Best of luck!
vnabhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2013, 13:54   #402
BHPian
 
mbz180's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 800
Thanked: 449 Times
Default re: My Ford Fiesta 1.6 SXI - I'm Nine, doing Fine

Last night was only my second drive in my 1.6 SXI and I went to the petrol pump to get a full tank. To open the fuel filler lid, I started to reach for the lever which I assumed would be next to the drivers door, next to the seat. I couldn't find anything and got out from the car and frantically started searching for a button or something. To my surprise, I saw the attendant was already filling petrol Since then, this kept playing on my mind; how come there is no lock, no lever, anyone can just open the flap and the cap?

Once I reached home I decided to investigate further and decided to experiment and locked the car and lo and behold, the petrol lid also got locked! Unlock the car and the lid is also unlocked.

I had no idea about this function so another small thing that made me appreciate the car
mbz180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2013, 23:38   #403
Senior - BHPian
 
vnabhi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: DC -> DC
Posts: 5,036
Thanked: 1,038 Times
Default re: My Ford Fiesta 1.6 SXI - I'm Nine, doing Fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbz180 View Post
Last night was only my second drive in my 1.6 SXI and I went to the petrol pump to get a full tank. To open the fuel filler lid, I started to reach for the lever which I assumed would be next to the drivers door, next to the seat. I couldn't find anything and got out from the car and frantically started searching for a button or something. To my

I had no idea about this function so another small thing that made me appreciate the car
It is mentioned in the manual, as far as I remember. But most people found this to be a little awkward and felt a bit insecure that the fuel lid was unlocked if the doors were not locked.

Based on this feedback, I think Ford added a traditional lever for fuel lid in later models.

As far as I'm concerned, it is one task less while tanking up, and love this feature. But I only wish that Ford had given the auto-lock feature as in the Figo, where doors lock when the car reaches a speed of 7 kmph.
vnabhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2013, 18:12   #404
Senior - BHPian
 
vnabhi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: DC -> DC
Posts: 5,036
Thanked: 1,038 Times
Default re: My Ford Fiesta 1.6 SXI - I'm Nine, doing Fine

After my reverse light switch was changed a month ago, I found the DTE showing higher readings than before. The very day it was replaced, the reading increased by nearly 80 kms.

The trend continued in the past 2 refills--it showed 570 last time and 615 today (it used to vary from 480 to 520 before). And I found that this is a more accurate picture than before. I wonder how the change of a switch can have a bearing on the DTE readings!! Another thing I noticed was that soon after the switch was replaced, the tripmeter got set to zero. Perhaps they might have disconnected the battery.

Any clues, guys?

Last edited by vnabhi : 30th January 2013 at 18:14.
vnabhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2013, 09:07   #405
Senior - BHPian
 
ghodlur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Thane
Posts: 4,806
Thanked: 1,804 Times
Smile re: My Ford Fiesta 1.6 SXI - I'm Nine, doing Fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
After my reverse light switch was changed a month ago, I found the DTE showing higher readings than before. The very day it was replaced, the reading increased by nearly 80 kms.
I have seen in the past disconnecting the battery resets the ECM (electronic control module) and the parameters used for the DTE calculations. This affects the DTE ranges. Also maybe your running average FE over the last 500 kms maybe fantastic to push the DTE to the new highs.

As a thumb rule after every servicing, I go for a long drive, this pushes the FE and subsequently the DTE during the next refuel. Attached is the DTE FAQ's for your reading.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf DTE_FAQ.pdf (87.5 KB, 984 views)
ghodlur is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ford Figo TDCi Titanium Nine months and 70,000 Kms of falling in Love dhanushmenon Long-Term Ownership Reviews 81 10th June 2015 20:18
NEED Inputs to FINALISE: Fiesta Petrol 1.6 SXi or Diesel 1.4 TDCi SXi. Specific query sachinchavan Sedans 17 26th September 2012 00:00
ford fiesta SXI after Ford IKON nxt amolathalye Sedans 10 24th February 2009 10:19
Ford Fiesta 1.6 Sxi/ Honda City Gxi / VTEC udit78 Sedans 58 31st August 2006 13:52


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 05:43.

Copyright 2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks