Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 8th January 2016, 11:03   #616
Senior - BHPian

Default re: My Ford Fiesta 1.6 SXI - I'm Nine, doing Fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul Bhalgat View Post
Hi vnabhi,
Good that you replaced the tank thinking that it may not be available easily after some years.

Hope you have collected the old tank. You can properly fix the crack with M-seal and keep it with you for potential future use. It will save your time and money both.
Sounds like a plan. I do have the old one in my boot, but not sure how long I can keep that there, as it occupies space. My wife will not appreciate it if I stock it at home. So I might have to dispose it in the near future.
vnabhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2016, 11:11   #617
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
That sounds like a neat alternative. Let us hope it lasts long enough. I could have tried that option, but wanted my car to be in as good a shape as possible. It is likely that parts for the Classic may not be available after another few years. So better now than later was my motto.
You are right on the spare availability. It might not be easy to source it few years down the line. I just wanted to try it to see how long it will hold out and might replace it if it shows up again.

Also have you done clutch assembly replacement? Mine is nearing 68K now and I face some judders in low gears, especially when trying to turn at slow speed in first/second gears. I am also getting a thud sound when engaging the clutch which could be a problem with the release bearing. Might need to replace that too.
praveen_v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2016, 11:20   #618
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by praveen_v View Post
Also have you done clutch assembly replacement? Mine is nearing 68K now and I face some judders in low gears, especially when trying to turn at slow speed in first/second gears. I am also getting a thud sound when engaging the clutch which could be a problem with the release bearing. Might need to replace that too.
My clutch is fine, though I feel it to be a bit hard when compared to the diesel Figo. I'd pointed this out to the SA soon after I bought the Figo, but he said that the clutch of the 1.6 Duratec was intentionally designed to be hard, keeping the power of the engine in mind.

But during this service, the newbie SA also said the clutch felt hard and it would cost 12 K to get the clutch changed with new plates, bearing, etc. But he said the clutch plates were fine, so I could delay the job till later. When questioned, he was referring to the Figo's smoother clutch that gave him the impression. Then I told him what his predecessor had told me 3 years back, and he back-tracked!
Old 13th January 2016, 13:24   #619
BHPian

Hello sir,

I have been drooling over getting a used Fiesta 1.6 (1.6S if i get lucky). Any specific pointers I should look out for while checking cars health?

And thanks a lot for such a detailed thread. Helped me a lot.
akshay380 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2016, 15:00   #620
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay380 View Post
Hello sir,

I have been drooling over getting a used Fiesta 1.6 (1.6S if i get lucky). Any specific pointers I should look out for while checking cars health?

We (or rather my wife) have owned a large number of Fiesta's over the years in the Netherlands. The one weak point I have found with all models is rust. Particularly wheel arches, door corners and around various parts on the platform bottom plate. I've easily run these little cars with various petrol engines up to 150 - 200.000 kilometers without any major mechanical problems. Of course, this is in Europe with some more favourable conditions. But still these little cars are pretty bomb proof.

I have no experience with the two latest models and I would expect that rust proofing has improved on the more recent models.

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2016, 15:57   #621
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hello sir,

AC - see that its working properly, check if the coil has been replaced. Its sort of a known failing part.
Check for cooling system integrity. No leaks, proper levels.
Usual under the car signs of leakage.
All knobs, meters and buttons inside should be working.
Compress the shocks and check. Dont get shot ones in the name of stiff.

That, more or less, is it. Its an easy car to live with.
mayankk is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2016, 23:24   #622
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hello sir,

jeroen and mayankk have covered all points you need to be wary of. In my car, I spent money for rust-proofing the under body and the door panels in the first few months after delivery. Both were done by FASS.
vnabhi is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2016, 10:03   #623
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
We
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
AC
Quote:
Thanks guys. I will do the same. Now the hunt begins
akshay380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2016, 14:52   #624
Senior - BHPian

I could put the Red Injun through its paces last week, with a 1725-km trip that took her through Bangalore, Tirupati, Bangalore again and then back to Hyderabad. And what a drive on the highways! I realized how much better she is on open roads, compared to crowded Hyderabad roads where she's munched 90% of her miles. The planted feel at high speeds that I don't want to mention on this forum, and the superb steering feedback add immensely to driving pleasure. And the snarl of the Duratec Sigma is something that I was missing for long.

All my apprehensions were set aside by the drive, namely:
  • Brakes lacking bite. I had to brake hard 2 or 3 times at triple-digit speeds, and the reassuring screech of tyres followed by ABS kicking in brought a smile on my face. It was only in city speeds that the brakes appeared to lack bite, when compared to the Figo. But not on the highway.
  • Hard clutch---whatzzat? I know it's not as soft as the Figo, but not hard either. I did not have any knee pain even in horrid Bangalore traffic.
  • Engine noise after swithcing back to mineral engine oil. I did not find any decrease in refinement.
When driven for the first 360 kms at a sedate pace of 90 to 110 kmph, it gave a healthy FE of 15.8 kmpl, but the overall FE was around 14 kmpl, owing to BLR traffic and ghat road at Tirupati. To odo stands close to 54830 now.

Had I taken the Figo, I'd have saved around 3000 on fuel, but that was abandoned as it was due for a tire change, with 44.5 k on the odo. Moreover even a remapped Figo cannot keep up with the 1.6 Duratec.

In another month and a half, it will complete 9 years! And each day has been as exciting as the first day.

Last edited by vnabhi : 2nd February 2016 at 14:54.
vnabhi is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2016, 15:16   #625
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Had I taken the Figo, I'd have saved around 3000 on fuel, but that was abandoned as it was due for a tire change, with 44.5 k on the odo. Moreover even a remapped Figo cannot keep up with the 1.6 Duratec.
Mileage? Whats that????

Quote:

In another month and a half, it will complete 9 years! And each day has been as exciting as the first day.
You know you've bought right if the car is making you smile even after 9 years.
Congratulations!
mayankk is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2016, 16:35   #626
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
Mileage? Whats that????

You know you've bought right if the car is making you smile even after 9 years.
Congratulations!
Well said! Who gives a darn for FE when the pleasure is so much more?

Thanks for your wishes.
Old 2nd February 2016, 17:05   #627
BHPian

And I am still searching for a well kept 1.6 :(
Wish you many more miles.
akshay380 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2016, 12:17   #628
BHPian

Has anyone ever faced an issue with the speedometer (at 0kmph) and the trip meter just freezing while driving? They automatically start after some time.

Last edited by TheQuarterMile : 23rd February 2016 at 12:18.
TheQuarterMile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2016, 13:35   #629
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheQuarterMile View Post
Has anyone ever faced an issue with the speedometer (at 0kmph) and the trip meter just freezing while driving? They automatically start after some time.
My dad drives Figo and he reported it few times to me but never happened while driving. I asked ASS guys and they said it could be a faulty sensor or a loose connection.
akshay380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2016, 14:21   #630
BHPian

Quote:
My dad drives Figo and he reported it few times to me but never happened while driving. I asked ASS guys and they said it could be a faulty sensor or a loose connection.
Guess I'll have to take it to Ford only to run diagnostics. I hope I don't have to change the instrument cluster or anything of that sort.
TheQuarterMile is offline   Reply With Quote