Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 27th November 2008, 19:56   #16
BHPian

Default More about my Bolero Sportz 2004

As I had mentioned earlier, the Bolero is very dear to my heart. I have had some lovely drives since i purchased it in August 2004. Mainly trips from Bombay to places like Amboli/ Sawantwadi/ Vengurla, Harihareshwar/Srivardhan and around, Shirdi/ Bhandardara, Malwan/ Tarkarli and around, Matheran, Pune, etc. All these places are within Maharashtra. Karjat trips around twice a month and of course my daily driving in Bombay.

What I love about the vehicle, is the sheer feeling of safety that it gives once you sit in the drivers seat. Yes I agree it does not have the luxury that other cars have, but then if it was luxurious, it would'nt be a Bolero. There are issues with the brake, but i have not really faced that problem very often, even on my long drives. I have traveled on some roads, which are supposed to be state highways, but if you drive over them, they are more like village roads that have been forgotten by the politicians and other agencies. I don't think any other vehicle could have traversed those roads at the speed I did and come out unscathed. (Baring the Hummer, Landrover, Mercedes G, Tatra and you get my drift.) And I was traveling with my family. All I lost after that trip was one of the wheel caps.
The A.C. is really good. I have had to change the condenser unit once after about 55,000 km.(leakage). Other than that no other major expenses have been incurred. Of course I had to replace broken and lost wheel caps(thrice), the tacky fibre/ plasticky wheel arches surrounds(twice), tail light bulbs, tail light assembly(once).
Have been in situations in the rains, where I have got badly stuck in muck(how I wished I had gone in for a 4 x 4). Had to get people to push me out of those situations. Sorely miss having rear wiper/ washer every monsoon.

Was planning to sell the Sportz and upgrade to a Crde. But have changed my mind. I will probably get new alloys and tyres. Maybe some cosmetic changes to the interiors (new seats, etc.). Will replace the wheel arches surrounds. And then zoom off again to someplace nice.

MY BOLERO:
Attached Thumbnails
My dear old Bolero - Lovely Jeep-karjatsamircam0065.jpg  

BolBolero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2008, 15:27   #17
BHPian

Hi Shankar

Lovely write-up. I also recently sold my 2004 Bolero GLX (IDI - 72 bhp 2wd). I did only 52,000km. No problem whatsoever.

My only expenses were new battery (at 51,000km) and new condenser for AC. The fuse of the AC condenser fan blew off. Eventually the condenser blew due to overheating. So I had to change it.

Other than that i have spend on 6000km regular 6000km service

I have also travelled to many places in South India.

I totally agree with all your feedback. So I couldn't resist and booked the CRDe version. I know its costly but can't resist the temptation. No pint comapring the price to other vehiclaes. Either way Bolero's is not everyone's cup of tea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Iíve owned a Bolero Sportz since May 2005 till I sold it a few days ago. My Dad, my Brother in Law and I have had one

All in all I am one highly satisfied Bolero customer.
It is a lovely vehicle.
rockyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2010, 13:12   #18
BHPian

I have a 2000 model with the ole XD3P engine. Have replaced the water pump twice as the dealership used to con me with fake parts. Have travelled a fair bit with the wagon and we really need the dehumidifiers for the wind shields. Other than that just can't seem to get rid of it and upgrading.
Must also tell of ye that it was robbed once and then receovered near Lucknow. Can't tell you how crazy it was when it was pulled out of a ditch, and left as it was for a week. The local mechanic pumped the diesel up, shoved handpump water instead of the coolant and jump started it with another car's battery. Drove it all the way back (the driver side rear had been pinched out of shape with the crane or whatever they used), lights were all over the place and yet the power windows worked.
So I keep doing her up and driving, maybe a little slower but then I'm not getting any faster either :-). Going to give it some long needed TLC today.

Regards,
Chaunfa
chaunfa is offline   Reply With Quote