Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 9th February 2010, 12:39   #151
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
1. IF at all you are planning to go this route, I would suggest that you go for the Storm.

2. IMHO, NO need for that pipe costing some 4K. Just the filter + cover is ok. Also, if you at a later date you manage to get a hose/pipe of exact dia, then use that

3. I think it is only to route the air intake point to a place which could be cooler than engine bay. In that perspective any hose/pipe should do. There is NOTHING magical about the dynamization kit. It's just a pipe with waves & thin steel rings..

Hope this helps
Thanks for the quick response.

I was basically trying to find more technical reason as to why Storm is preferred over Wind. Peter and Anil(hot track) recommend Wind which is even cheaper as compared to Storm

As you said I dont think its worth paying 2-3k for that damn pipe for nothing !!
s3va is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2010, 12:55   #152
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by s3va View Post
....I was basically trying to find more technical reason as to why Storm is preferred over Wind. Peter and Anil(hot track) recommend Wind which is even cheaper as compared to Storm....!
Actually, the Storm is for cars >= 100 BHP and wind for < than that. That's what the "tech info" I had found out (don't ask where) when I was doing the install.

Anil was hell bent on saying that I should go for wind also for my S10 but I went in for the storm.

Go the 'Storm' way ...
khan_sultan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2010, 13:49   #153
BHPian

Quote:
Actually, the Storm is for cars >= 100 BHP and wind for < than that. That's what the "tech info" I had found out (don't ask where) when I was doing the install.

Anil was hell bent on saying that I should go for wind also for my S10 but I went in for the storm.

Go the 'Storm' way ...
You are right. Even Pete's said the same about the BHP, except Storm was for cars over 120 bhp. Besides that, i didnt find any other info available anywhere.

I think i shall stick to Storm without the dyn kit. Its costs about 5500-6000.
Old 11th February 2010, 09:49   #154
BHPian

khan..Would you be aware of the part no of your Storm filter ? Or is one of the below matches your's ?

7072/73
Old 16th February 2010, 22:07   #155
BHPian

Default Confused

Quote:
1. IF at all you are planning to go this route, I would suggest that you go for the Storm.

2. IMHO, NO need for that pipe costing some 4K. Just the filter + cover is ok. Also, if you at a later date you manage to get a hose/pipe of exact dia, then use that

3. I think it is only to route the air intake point to a place which could be cooler than engine bay. In that perspective any hose/pipe should do. There is NOTHING magical about the dynamization kit. It's just a pipe with waves & thin steel rings..

Hope this helps
Khan, Today I had a look at Green Filters.

Actually only today I realized that Green Filters and Green Cotton Filters are two different companies. Below are the website of each companies
Green filters USA - > Home
Green cotton - > Green Cotton Air Filters - Home Page

I am more confused as to which one to fit.

I was advised of the following :

If the one that you had bought(Storm) without the dyn kit, then the air suction wont be efficient as the filter is cover with the heat shield. And I dont need the dyn kit since, firstly it isnt worth to pay Rs2500 for a normal pipe(looks like a glorified washing machine drainage pipe). At the same time i dont wish to end up fitting the Storm that doesnt function without the dyn kit.

The Green USA filter that I had a look at it is just a normal Conical filter that needs to be just fitted onto my stock pipe.

Please provide your views
Old 12th March 2010, 19:28   #156
BHPian

I bought a 2002 GTX for 1.3 lakhs last year. So 1.15 would be a good deal for a S10. Have the car checked thoroughly esp. the Power Steering and the A/C compressor where I had problems later on. Check for RPM fluctuations too, have seen lot of complaints here.

If you could get hold of a mechanic from a FIAT Service Centre, it would be good. Happy Hunting.
nim_peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2010, 17:54   #157

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post one-liners that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the overall quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 25th March 2010 at 12:01.
ajrockerboy is offline   Reply With Quote Received Infraction
Old 15th March 2011, 21:06   #158
BHPian

Default re: June 2003 Palio S10 EDIT: Now 65K KM Update

Quote:

Go the 'Storm' way ...
Can you please post the ownership review of the car ?
rock18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2011, 11:38   #159
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: June 2003 Palio S10 EDIT: Now 65K KM Update

Just realized that I haven't updated this thread in a long long time. I had got this beauty at ~33K and not it has done ~65K clicks.

So here is a long term report on the S10.
  • Have been running on synthetic ever since I got this with me. Have tried Castrol Edge, Mobil 1, OWS and have been most happy with OWS. Right now am using Mobil.
  • In between got the spark-plugs changed to some performance ones.
  • At around 45K, got some OWS goodies (Oil Flush, Oil Protector & Engine Treatment Package). The car never sounded as smooth as it did with those magic stuff.
  • Got the tyres changed to Maxxis and found them to be good VFM tyres. Surprisingly, their wet braking is far more superior to their dry braking.
  • Have done several 300+ kms trips with friends & family and the car has never ceased to bring a smile to my face. Infact, for office work, driving to chennai is solely done in the S10 and have never felt the need to fly down/take the train
  • Got JVC AX-44 HU, JBL Comps/Amp & Sub installed for making it a sound machine. Love the sound but hate the space consuming big sub woofer. I wish I had gone for a smaller one.
  • Have tried Green Tracks/Concorde for all servicing/repair jobs. Apart from the regular service, the repair jobs have consisted of:
    • Replaced the fuel tank with a brand new one after the OE one developed a small leak. Instead of getting it welded, choose to get a new one itself. Costed me ~6K. Had got it done at Concorde
    • Got both the front shocks changed at Concorde.
    • Got the rear brake cylinders replaced at Concorde
    • Got the radiator flushed at Green Tracks
  • S10 looks brilliant in a shiny waxed trim and have twice done 3M waxing treatment. Once at Concorde motors and recently at 3M Bomanahalli. This time got even the interiors thoroughly cleaned. Believe me, the car looks like new when waxed properly and doesn't look like a 8 year old car.
  • Broke the side skirting, as I went over a stone while turning. This is an eyesore as replacement skirting are not at all cheap & moreover not easily available. The 100 16V decal is also gone and have just recently got 2 sets. Will need to get them painted red and then put it on.
  • Debadged the S10 by removing the PALIO/FIAT decals (They had faded) & put in 2 Team-BHP stickers. Also got the front brake calipers & rear drums painted red.
  • The car returns a steady FE of 9-10 in city & 12-14 on highways -- depending on how it is driven. Must say that driving it below 3K RPM is very very tough
  • Next in line, for things to do are:
    • Timing belt & all associated stuff change
    • Front wheel bearing change
    • Rear shocks replacement
    • Windshield replacement -- has got scuff marks from wipers.
Many a times, I have thought of selling it and buying something else but haven't found something as interesting as this. Sat as a passenger in a Linea T-Jet TD, but was not impressed (apart from it's braking & features).

Here are some pictures.

Name:  i10156.jpg
Views: 1479
Size:  56.7 KB

2003 Palio S10 EDIT: 71K KM Update | Engine Grooved-3m12.jpg

2003 Palio S10 EDIT: 71K KM Update | Engine Grooved-3m14.jpg

2003 Palio S10 EDIT: 71K KM Update | Engine Grooved-3m19.jpg

2003 Palio S10 EDIT: 71K KM Update | Engine Grooved-3m21.jpg

2003 Palio S10 EDIT: 71K KM Update | Engine Grooved-3m27.jpg

Last edited by khan_sultan : 28th April 2011 at 11:40.
khan_sultan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2011, 02:56   #160
BHPian

Hello Sir,

The car truly looks fantastic after 8 years. I'm in the 60000 KMs range with my Palio and am going in for a timing belt change myself. My experience with Concorde in Hyderabad was horrific to say the least. How do you rate them in Bangalore?

Having just moved here, I'm looking for a reliable place to service my car at and am yet to try any of the centers so would appreciate any help in this regard.

On a side note, if you are ever willing to sell the S10, please do PM me as i would definitely like to pick it up.

Regards,
Kiran.
lucifer919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2012, 20:45   #161
Team-BHP Support

An Update:

Took the car to Concorde Motors (Silk Board) for the following work:

- Replace RHS ORVM
- Rear Wiper
- Timing belt & all associated belts/parts
- Accelerator Cable
- Front Wheel Bearing
- Rear Shocks & Springs
- Brake pads & shoes
- Lower Arms

The car was there for 4 days and the work that got done was:
- RHS OVRM
- Rear Wiper
- Front Wheel Bearing (put in the Indica one -- same is used in Palio also)

However, they discovered that Clutch Master Cylinder had a leak and they replaced it. Wonder how they had that part (lucky coincidence??)

Rest of the parts are not available with no visibility on when they will arrive. As much as a love the S10, am really worried about non availability of parts.

And yes, the bill for the parts + labor came to ~8000 INR
4000 for parts and 4000 for labor.

Am now sourcing the parts from outside sources and will take it to an independent garage. Till now had faithfully gone to Fiat A.S.S but looks like end of road with them. Nothing against them but they showing their helplessness in sourcing parts doesn't help me in any way as a customer.

Also, the parts outside are ~50% cheaper than the costs from A.S.S
khan_sultan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2012, 02:27   #162
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
- Accelerator Cable
- Rear Shocks & Springs
- Brake pads & shoes
- Lower Arms

Rest of the parts are not available with no visibility on when they will arrive. As much as a love the S10, am really worried about non availability of parts.
At Him Motors (and earlier Elegant Cars) in Delhi I would see a GTX/1.6 getting timing belts changed quite often, so it did not seem to be an 'exotic' part in any way. Brake pads is hardly a rare part and neither are lower arms or shockers. In fact, most of these parts are usually available at Fiat ASC in Delhi, normally. And except for the timing belt, everything else is shared with almost all versions of the Palio, including the Stile. Is the situation of parts in Bangalore so bad?

Of course, in Delhi, a master cylinder could be a rare part. Murphy's Law?
architect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2012, 02:43   #163
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
An Update:

Took the car to Concorde Motors (Silk Board) for the following work:

- Replace RHS ORVM
- Rear Wiper
- Accelerator Cable
- Front Wheel Bearing
- Rear Shocks & Springs
- Brake pads & shoes
- Lower Arms

The car was there for 4 days and the work that got done was:
- RHS OVRM
- Rear Wiper
- Front Wheel Bearing (put in the Indica one -- same is used in Palio also)

However, they discovered that Clutch Master Cylinder had a leak and they replaced it. Wonder how they had that part (lucky coincidence??)

And yes, the bill for the parts + labor came to ~8000 INR
4000 for parts and 4000 for labor.

Am now sourcing the parts from outside sources and will take it to an independent garage. Till now had faithfully gone to Fiat A.S.S but looks like end of road with them. Nothing against them but they showing their helplessness in sourcing parts doesn't help me in any way as a customer.

Also, the parts outside are ~50% cheaper than the costs from A.S.S
No point in going to Fiat A.S.S for parts. Your best bet is to find a shop outside which stocks fiat parts., Lemme know if you need anything,there is a shop in chennai, which has most of the stuff for palios.

Please be very careful in changing the palio timings belts. Make sure the garage has the Cam locking tool and some prior experience with the 1.6. I went to one of the most recommended garages in chennai, Ignite, and that joker made mess of my timing. Plan to take it to a garage in cochin which is experinced in fiats.!
JayD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2012, 10:56   #164
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayD View Post
Please be very careful in changing the palio timings belts. Make sure the garage has the Cam locking tool and some prior experience with the 1.6. I went to one of the most recommended garages in chennai, Ignite, and that joker made mess of my timing. Plan to take it to a garage in cochin which is experinced in fiats.!
Can you share your experience and what has happened?. I have got the timing belt set and lying with me for almost 3 weeks but couldnot find a garrage in Chennai with cam locking tool to set the timing for fiat. My car has timing issue as it vibrates at idle and lazy below 2.5K rpm.

Regards,
Vijay
vijaycool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2012, 17:15   #165
Team-BHP Support

After failing to get parts & adequate service from TASS, I decided to take the route of sourcing the parts from after market & taking it to a workshop that knows what they are doing.

I contacted KAVA motors in Mumbai and ordered all the parts from them. Was happy with their service & price of parts. I got the following from them:

- Front Lower Arms
- Rear Shocks
- Rear Coil Spring
- Brake Discs/Rotors
- Brake Pads
- Rear Brake Drums
- Rear Brake Shoes
- Timing Belt, A/C, Alternator Belt
- Idler Pulley/Tensioner

The total cost of these parts came to approx 17,000/- and the stuff was sent part by courier and part by transport.

Now the dilemma was where to get these parts fitted. Since these are after market parts, TASS would not touch them.

Meanwhile, I had got my Gypsy engine blue printed/grooved from Mr Somedra Singh of Mysore last year and was very very happy with the results & how workmanship. So I thought of getting the Palio engine grooved also and get the parts changed through him. Called him and told that I not only want to get the Palio grooved but also change timing belts and other suspension/brake parts also. He agreed and we drove the Palio down to Mysore for the work. He took 2 weeks and finished the work with precision. He got hold of old palio mechanics and got the necessary tools to get the engine head opened, belts changed etc.

The Palio now is refreshing to drive again. oodles of low end torque & linear power delivery though out the rev cycle. On 3/4th gear, with 4 people, A/C on, over road humps you can pull from 1000+ rpm. The car responds to the minutest of the throttle inputs in any gear -- literally no lag between the throttle & the response. Enjoying every minute of the driving. Have yet to check the impact on the F.E. figures.

One more change I have done is to revert back to the stock air filter. Have got rid of the Green Cotton filter. It was just letting tooooooooo much dust in -- which was evident from the muck in the throttle body. This was after I had been doing regular cleaning of the green cotton filter every quarter or so. 2003 Palio S10 EDIT: 71K KM Update | Engine Grooved-dsc06988.jpg

Here are few pictures of the engine, while it was with Mr Somendra Singh
2003 Palio S10 EDIT: 71K KM Update | Engine Grooved-dsc06982.jpg
2003 Palio S10 EDIT: 71K KM Update | Engine Grooved-dsc06983.jpg
2003 Palio S10 EDIT: 71K KM Update | Engine Grooved-dsc06985.jpg

Hopefully, the S10 is ready to serve and bring smiles for the next 50K kms...

Last edited by khan_sultan : 5th March 2012 at 17:17.
khan_sultan is offline   (8) Thanks Reply With Quote