Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 5th March 2012, 19:09   #166
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: June 2003 Palio S10 EDIT: Now 65K KM Update

Nice, am sure the S10 would be nice to drive, meanwhile i think the K&N storm too as letting in too much of dust, dont think i will be going in for these filters anymore!
lohithrao is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2012, 12:16   #167
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
Meanwhile, I had got my Gypsy engine blue printed/grooved from Mr Somedra Singh of Mysore last year and was very very happy with the results & how workmanship. So I thought of getting the Palio engine grooved also and get the parts changed through him. Called him and told that I not only want to get the Palio grooved but also change timing belts and other suspension/brake parts also. He agreed and we drove the Palio down to Mysore for the work. He took 2 weeks and finished the work with precision. He got hold of old palio mechanics and got the necessary tools to get the engine head opened, belts changed etc.
Wow!! simply awesome . My GTX is at 61K and I need to change the timing belt. Do you mind to share the cost of Somendar singh's magic. Also I could not see any pics of the grooved head.

Regards,
Vijay
vijaycool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2012, 13:37   #168
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijaycool View Post
Wow!! simply awesome . My GTX is at 61K and I need to change the timing belt. Do you mind to share the cost of Somendar singh's magic. Also I could not see any pics of the grooved head.

Regards,
Vijay
The cost of grooving + labor charge for changing the lower arms, suspension, brakes etc etc came to 22.5K This also included the cost of a crank sensor that had to be replaced.

No pictures of the grooved head with me also
khan_sultan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2012, 15:37   #169
BHPian

Quote:
The cost of grooving + labor charge for changing the lower arms, suspension, brakes etc etc came to 22.5K This also included the cost of a crank sensor that had to be replaced.

No pictures of the grooved head with me also
Seems to be the labour is around 3K for this work. I can give a try while doing the timing change?. Did the mech reseated the valves?
Old 6th March 2012, 15:58   #170
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijaycool View Post
Seems to be the labour is around 3K for this work. I can give a try while doing the timing change?. Did the mech reseated the valves?
17k for parts from KAVA automobiles (lowers arms, brakes, shocks etc etc)
22.5K for Mr Somedra Singhs work -- that included grooving + parts change labor costs

Yes, valve reseating is part of the grooving work.
khan_sultan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2012, 08:35   #171
BHPian

Default Re: 2003 Palio S10 EDIT: 71K KM Update | Engine Grooved

Ah. I misread your post. Please do update the FE and other positive/negative effects you observe on Somendar's groove tech.
Old 10th March 2012, 16:02   #172
Team-BHP Support

Changed the spark plugs back to ows iridium plugs and what a difference. The car is ready to fly. Can just crawl in 3rd gear, tap the accelerator and the car just lunges forward like a tiger. Astonishing low end torque and increased smoothness also. Very very happy and enjoying the drive.
khan_sultan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2012, 19:08   #173
Team-BHP Support

Discovered a leak in the overflow/breather pipe after doing a tankfull. The petrol leaks from the joint where the tank & the breather pipe joins. There is a rubber bush with a collar that has worn of and cracked. So, huge leakage of petrol when the car is being driven. If the fuel is below 1/2 or so, there will be less chances of leakage.

This part is just 8 rupees from TASS but not available anywhere in India. Have ordered it from FIAT factory and lets see when it comes. Meanwhile have used rubber packing to do a temporary sealing. The leakage has reduced 90%

The arrow shows where the leak is from
2003 Palio S10 EDIT: 71K KM Update | Engine Grooved-tank_leak.jpg

The bush which sits between the fuel tank pipe & the breather pipe
Name:  tank_bush.jpg
Views: 1379
Size:  18.3 KB

And yes, meanwhile got the air filter changed to a new one. Stock -- just 220 rupees. The car is revving much much smoother.
khan_sultan is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2012, 20:05   #174
Team-BHP Support

Got the 3M under body coating done for the S10. The 5 year one which will reduce road noise also. The 2 year one is a thinner version of the prodicy where as the 5 year one is a thicker product

2003 Palio S10 EDIT: 71K KM Update | Engine Grooved-can.jpg

Got this done from 3M Car Care Center at HSR Layout. Cost me 3524/- and the package comes with some top up of the coating every six months.

Oh, in the process got a much deserved wash also for the S10
2003 Palio S10 EDIT: 71K KM Update | Engine Grooved-wash.jpg

The process involved washing the car thoroughly and then drying the underbody, followed by taping the body panels to prevent spray on paint. Then application is done which takes some 30 minutes or so.

Name:  w1.jpg
Views: 1362
Size:  34.9 KB
2003 Palio S10 EDIT: 71K KM Update | Engine Grooved-prepare.jpg
2003 Palio S10 EDIT: 71K KM Update | Engine Grooved-well.jpg

For me, apart from the under body protection, sound proofing was also one of the reasons for this 3M under body coating. Let's see how it works out.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 1st April 2012 at 20:06.
khan_sultan is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2012, 19:33   #175
BHPian

Your S10 looks ravishing and handsome as ever! I too own a S10, which i took to 3M, HSR layout last month. Mr.Siddhu immediately started admiring my S10, and just then he told me about you and your ravishing S10 and how religiously you maintain it. I had already been following your thread and had seen the pics, so I could easily recollect about you. Would definitely like to meet you once and have some fun with two S10's. That would be a sight on the road to behold, I'm sure!
Cheers
RevvMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2012, 18:33   #176
Team-BHP Support

An update: The coil pack of the S10 was acting up and there were few small niggles that I had to address, so took the car to Concorde Begur Road. Must say that this has been one of the BEST experiences i have had at a TASS. The SA, my Vijay was superb in diagnosing the issues, proactively communicating and keeping me informed, taking personal interest and really wanting to have the customer a good experience.

This is what I got done:

- Coil Pack change: cost me some ~4K including labor. With this change, the shudder and occasional injector light coming up have disappeared. Car seems lots smoother and harshness has gone.

- Few electrical parts like interior light & driver side power window connections were serviced. All work perfectly now.

- A 2 wheeler had damaged the front right fog lamp assembly. The shroud was replaced, painted and fog lamp put back.

The car is so much fun to drive again.
Old 18th July 2012, 18:53   #177
Senior - BHPian

If it is fun to drive again, then you must, you know what I mean

BTW, chanced upon this thread now and agree with people who say you do take care of the Yellow beauty, long time not seen by me .
Lukeskywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2012, 20:03   #178
Senior - BHPian

Good to hear about your experience at Concorde!

In 3+years of ownership of Adventure, it was Vijay who took care of my car and made sure every time the problem was rectified without any drama, one guy who can be trusted completely and thats the reason i used to drive all the way from Marathalli to begur, Concorde!

Kudos to him!

Quote:
An update: The coil pack of the S10 was acting up and there were few small niggles that I had to address, so took the car to Concorde Begur Road. Must say that this has been one of the BEST experiences i have had at a TASS. The SA, my Vijay was superb in diagnosing the issues, proactively communicating and keeping me informed, taking personal interest and really wanting to have the customer a good experience.

This is what I got done:

- Coil Pack change: cost me some ~4K including labor. With this change, the shudder and occasional injector light coming up have disappeared. Car seems lots smoother and harshness has gone.

- Few electrical parts like interior light & driver side power window connections were serviced. All work perfectly now.

- A 2 wheeler had damaged the front right fog lamp assembly. The shroud was replaced, painted and fog lamp put back.

The car is so much fun to drive again.
lohithrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2012, 20:22   #179
BHPian

Quote:
Got the 3M under body coating done for the S10. The 5 year one which will reduce road noise also. The 2 year one is a thinner version of the prodicy where as the 5 year one is a thicker product

Got this done from 3M Car Care Center at HSR Layout. Cost me 3524/- and the package comes with some top up of the coating every six months.

Oh, in the process got a much deserved wash also for the S10

The process involved washing the car thoroughly and then drying the underbody, followed by taping the body panels to prevent spray on paint. Then application is done which takes some 30 minutes or so.

For me, apart from the under body protection, sound proofing was also one of the reasons for this 3M under body coating. Let's see how it works out.
Your car looks awesome.very well maintained.
Please post feedback on this 3M underbody coating. So are you havin a much silent cabin now??
rock18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2012, 20:27   #180
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rock18 View Post
Your car looks awesome.very well maintained.
Please post feedback on this 3M underbody coating. So are you havin a much silent cabin now??
The underbody coating is good. Would say that there is a difference in the
sound intruding in -- especially the rear wheel arches.

Having said that, like all good things in life, it's time for me to put the S10 on the block and pass it on to a enthusiast who would love to drive an S10. It has served me quite nicely and has never given a dull moment while driving and infact I kept it for 2 years more than what I had originally thought -- such is this car.

I have bought another car for myself and would be using that now. So, very soon, you will see this S10 in classifieds.