Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 17th September 2009, 12:04   #706
BHPian

Hey Bapu- I think 2 numbers are missing after 9M which would have indicated the month. Do check the VIN number as you do the PDI. Whats the showroom price that you are getting it at?

As for tyre suggestions- I changed it to Michelin 185/65 R14 since I too was am using the stock rims and felt it was a safe upgrade. Long termers can tell you about each tyre that they would have used. Michelin seems good to me as of now.

Lights-: I've changed to Osrams as they are good enough and they don't produce glares to drivers on other side as much as a 100/90W does. Safety lies in the other drivers also seeing clearly.
krish3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2009, 12:17   #707
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krish3 View Post
Hey Bapu- I think 2 numbers are missing after 9M which would have indicated the month. Do check the VIN number as you do the PDI. Whats the showroom price that you are getting it at?
AFAIK the VIN no.(17 digits) only has the year of manufacturing.
9 - 2009 year.
kpzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2009, 13:29   #708
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bapu View Post
* Tyres : Michelin or Yokos - Pls advise on size.
* Headlights : Osrams (60/55 W) OR Phillips Rally 100/90 ( was reading that you have to remove the covers etc) which is not advisable.
* Horns : Roots - the medium ones ( i think cost Rs.900 or so)
* Stereo : Range of 12K - Am looking at getting a DVD player too.
* Speakers : Front and Rear : Range 8K
* Film : Suggestions on this please. Approximate pricing?? I have no idea.

Optionals :

* Seat Covers - Optional as of now unless i find something reaaally interesting. Range 5K
* A small amplifier - Not too sure how much of a impact this would have on the overall sound.
* TFT Screen - Long term view is that i might get a driver. Then this could be done. Suggestions on this most welcome.

Not a fan of alloys. So will be sticking with the stock rims.
Headlights- 100/90 is good, and with some patience you can have your cover (the installer needs patience, that is ). Drill 3 tiny holes, take the individual wires through it and seal the holes- am getting this done in on 26th.

Also my headlights are aligned in such a way that the left headlights have a further throw and the right ones are more on the road. They do not glare on the oncoming cars, and I can see the "boundary line" some 10 meters or so (left goes to say about 15 or more).

Sunfilm- I had 3M RE50 done- the glasses are almost transparent but the effect is very good. Should not cost you 3100~3300 (in Chennai, that is). If you want darker share, RE35 is good too- but they are "technically" illegal

Tires- Go with 185's in Michelin XM1. A.Drives are good too, but Hellstar had a couple of scares with them at consistent high speed drives...
ph03n!x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2009, 14:27   #709
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
Also my headlights are aligned in such a way that the left headlights have a further throw and the right ones are more on the road. They do not glare on the oncoming cars, and I can see the "boundary line" some 10 meters or so (left goes to say about 15 or more).
This is the stock setup in every car manufactured.
Left side headlight beam is fallen little ahead of the right side one.
might be a safety measurement.
aks_karthik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2009, 16:57   #710
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Tires- Go with 185's in Michelin XM1. A.Drives are good too, but Hellstar had a couple of scares with them at consistent high speed drives...
thats shouldn't scare you unless you plan on maintaining speeds in excess of 140 kmph for more than 20 mins approx at a stretch this again depends on ambient temperature.
hellstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2009, 18:14   #711
BHPian

Quote:

As for tyre suggestions- I changed it to Michelin 185/65 R14 since I too was am using the stock rims and felt it was a safe upgrade.

Lights-: I've changed to Osrams ...Safety lies in the other drivers also seeing clearly.
Ok. Agree with you on the safety of the other drivers part. Will go for the Osrams then. The car is still in transit. Will reach probably tomm (i hope so, planning to take delivery on Saturday itself). Will most probably go for the PDI tomm itself.

Getting it for 5.70L on road. The ex showroom price is around 5.21L. Have been assured some discounts, but no commitments. Only freebies are Mud Flaps and matting!!

Quote:
Headlights- 100/90 is good... (the installer needs patience, that is ).

I dont think i'd be finding "qualitative" work in Ahmedabad. Will go for the Osrams.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellstar View Post
thats shouldn't scare you unless you plan on maintaining speeds in excess of 140 kmph for more than 20 mins approx at a stretch this again depends on ambient temperature.
140 kmph for more than 20 mins not me. The max out that i touch on my Innova / Esteem are 100 - 110. And besides, the only road that comes to mind for those kinds of speeds is the Ahmedabad - Baroda Expressway. But even then, i'd be worried to cross 120.

But just what problem did the tyres give you at such high speeds..? The temp in Gujarat is anyways 40+ in Summers. So that would entail a rethink.

Am getting the pricing of the tyres. Here in Gujarat, somehow the Yokos are not very "famous". Bridgestone is what a couple of dealers advised.

Did check up on the pricing of VKool for the front windshield Rs. 12K for just the front windshield!!!
Bapu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2009, 19:08   #712
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Tires- Hellstar had a couple of scares with them at consistent high speed drives...
Quote:
On Getz with stock rims, 185/65-14 A drives won't cause you any problem.
Been there, done that for 38k kms now.

Anoop.

I feel its got to do something with rims v/s tire size.
What size tires where u running before and now ?

Last edited by kpzen : 17th September 2009 at 19:09.
Old 17th September 2009, 20:17   #713
BHPian

Bapu- you will think that you won't cross 120 kmph. Drive the car and then tell us the same. I too thought the same thing, but you won't realise the speeds unless you look at the speedo. I've already touched 150kmph and that too without realising that. Also consider that I was still in the so called "RUN-IN" period.
Old 17th September 2009, 20:35   #714
BHPian

My VIN number is as MALBT51VR9M112693 and the other number below reads as D0908Z037A10A.

According to the PDI incharge person at Trident Hyundai, the first 4 letters of the second string of characters denotes the year/month, Hence I beleived him so.. if its month and year then I am .

Any way I am happy to get the car which I long cherished to drive. I have completed 1000 kms today and it due to 1st service . I am getting a mileage of ~ 17-18 kms with 100% AC.

My OTR cost was INR5.85 of which the ex-Show room was INR 4.96 owing to a corporate discount of 3.5k.

The only freebees that I got was the regular mudflaps and the foot mats, but the sales guy was quite helpfull and I got 3M RE 35sunfilm, remote locking and the 3M teflon for Rs.8.7k.

Please could anybody tell me the correct date of manufacturing from the above details ? I took delivery from Trident, Sankey road.
mjkaushal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2009, 20:44   #715
BHPian

Quote:
Kaushal- Congrats on the Getz and am surprised that you got a newer one. Please give us the VIN so that we'll get confirmation that the Getz is still made on order. That will be the best news I've heard in a while.
Hey Krish,

I believe that it could be of August 2009 as its color is dark grey and its recently introduced with i20 series.

If the sales guy is to be believed, these were the last batch of cars for which additional orders were taken to fullfil the minimum numbers of quota in one CRDI batch. Initially for about 3-4 weeks, I was told that these cars were stopped being produced and later on , as a pleasant surprise, my booking was taken and I had a choice of colors as well.
mjkaushal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2009, 20:45   #716
BHPian

Kaushal-: I too noticed the number below the VIN and it was D0906 for my Getz which I took as June 2009. That was the time when they had the 4.99 lakhs offer as well. Not sure if its right.

KPZEN-: The VIN has only 17 chars. My mistake there. I looked at the second line as mentioned above and thought that manufacturing date is mentioned.

Last edited by krish3 : 17th September 2009 at 20:46.
Old 18th September 2009, 06:33   #717
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Friends,

2 Bit from me !!

I have been using Michelin 175/70 R13 XM1 Tyres on my Esteem Diesel .

Have driven 1,30,000 KMS On those in the past 3 years and have had absolutely no issues with them !!!

I run mumbai-pune every weekend through the expressway and have maintained speeds of 120-140 for almost the entire strech but never had an close calls with the Tyres giving me away.

I swear by these tyres so am surprised if hellstar had some issues....

Also as a point of reference i have done a 4 day / 2800 KMS across Gujarat/ Saurashtra and have had no issues at all
Jimmy_u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2009, 07:29   #718
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
On Getz with stock rims, 185/65-14 A drives won't cause you any problem.
Been there, done that for 38k kms now.

Anoop.

I feel its got to do something with rims v/s tire size.
What size tires where u running before and now ?
stock condition - 175/70/R14 on 6 J alloys ( after market) well no slipping and sliding .

current condition -195/65/R14 on 6J alloys Yoko A DRIVES, tyres work like a dream when cool, but heat up rapidly at sustained high speeds and if the ambient temp is high while cornering thevhicle just compltely slips sidewards with a lot fo squealing . I have gone thourgh on alloy change and multiple suspension check but nothing is abnormal on those fronts.

Right now they have dry nitrogen in them , and the ride has becoem a tad harsh

Quote:
Bapu- you will think that you won't cross 120 kmph. Drive the car and then tell us the same. I too thought the same thing, but you won't realise the speeds unless you look at the speedo. I've already touched 150kmph and that too without realising that. Also consider that I was still in the so called "RUN-IN" period.
+1 to that the 100 comes up and goes by really fast you dont even realise...
hellstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2009, 20:44   #719
BHPian

Default Updates - Long post :)

Hi Guys,

Was supposed to get the car today, but due to Muhurat advise from Mom, has been postponed to tomm. Tomm morning at 11. a.m it is.

Today has been a busy day. Got a number for the car even before i take delivery. 9449 is what is going to be the number of MY rocket. Jugaads.

Paid the downpayment from myside. Dealer's rep was making some issues about not sending the papers to RTO before he received the full payment etc. Again some Jugaads and now the papers will reach RTO on Tuesday and get the above number.

Went to the stock yard for having a look at the car. Somehow there'd been a mixup in the VIN given to me at the time of booking and on the DO.I now have a vehicle with a diff VIN. Car was dusty but overall OK.

Then went searching for tyres. As i've said earlier, Yokos are not very famous in Ahmedabad. I remembered seeing a Yoko board near my erstwhile CNG showroom. Went there again and LO. It's the YOKO office!! With a Hyundai A.S.S next door being the tyre dealer itself.

To TOP it up - the A.S.S belongs to a BHPian!!!! Talk about Luck!!

He's advised getting the 195/60 - R14 A drives (Costing Rs.3450). As per his excel sheet, there should not be any problem. So getting them tomm. Getting 2K (was expecting around 2800) for the stock Goodyear GPS 2's.

IS the tyre setup OK...?

One more thing (disturbing to me infact) he mentioned that I should not be expecting any FE above 13-14 I pray it is NOT true.

For ICE - getting a Pioneer ( Model 3190 - DVD Rs.9500 or non DVD player Rs.7000) OR a Blaupunkt Hamburg model for HU (Rs.8K). Wondering if i should get the DVD player or not.

Speakers would probably be JBL. 6". Am wondering if i should get Oval's at the back. The tray would have to be replaced then with a wooden one.

Am confused about the sunfilm. Saw VKool and it is impressive. But darn expensive too. Rs.11300 for the front glass and Rs.6K for the rest of the car. Will probably get Llumar.

So tomm is the D day friends.

And last BUT NOT THE LEAST. Thank You for helping me make the purchase with all your guidance and inputs.

And many thanks for Undead for letting me hijack his thread!!!
Bapu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2009, 21:47   #720
Senior - BHPian

Are u getting alloys as well ?
If not, then get 185/65-14 instead of 195/60-14.