Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 19th September 2009, 23:08   #721
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
Are u getting alloys as well ?
If not, then get 185/65-14 instead of 195/60-14.
Hi Prajesh,

Can you please advise me the reasoning behind that. Actually, based on feedback received on the forun, i had asked for the 185/65 only.

However, as per the dealer ( he computed it on another excel sheet) which showed that the variation in the tyre size from the stock would not be more than some 1.1% and hence acceptable.

Am not getting alloys.
Bapu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2009, 23:19   #722
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bapu View Post
Hi Prajesh,

Can you please advise me the reasoning behind that. Actually, based on feedback received on the forun, i had asked for the 185/65 only.

However, as per the dealer ( he computed it on another excel sheet) which showed that the variation in the tyre size from the stock would not be more than some 1.1% and hence acceptable.

Am not getting alloys.
On stock rims, 185/65-14 performs better than 195/60-14..
With 195s the handling becomes unpredictable.. At times(not always) under hard braking they start gliding for some unknown reason.

Don't bother about excel sheets and other calculations, both sizes won't cause any problem. Its just the rims.

Btw, I have two Getz CRDis in the family and both run on A drives (185/65 and 195/60).

Anyways, GOOD LUCK !!

Last edited by kpzen : 19th September 2009 at 23:23.
kpzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2009, 08:21   #723
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
On stock rims, 185/65-14 performs better than 195/60-14..
With 195s the handling becomes unpredictable.. At times(not always) under hard braking they start gliding for some unknown reason.

Don't bother about excel sheets and other calculations, both sizes won't cause any problem. Its just the rims.

Btw, I have two Getz CRDis in the family and both run on A drives (185/65 and 195/60).

Anyways, GOOD LUCK !!

I belive that this is because of the tyres are spreadout based on the size of the wheels ( width )

Stock wheels are 5.5J i belive and this is a boundary condition for 195 tyres.

Yesterday i met up with pras.oct and he was running 195/60R14 on stock wheels , i am running 195/65R14 on 6J alloys and my tires looked more fatter which definitely means there is more rubber on contact with the road.
hellstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2009, 10:35   #724
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellstar View Post
I belive that this is because of the tyres are spreadout based on the size of the wheels ( width )

Stock wheels are 5.5J i belive and this is a boundary condition for 195 tyres.

Yesterday i met up with pras.oct and he was running 195/60R14 on stock wheels , i am running 195/65R14 on 6J alloys and my tires looked more fatter which definitely means there is more rubber on contact with the road.
Actually the stock rims are 5J rims and not 5.5J. And as for the better handling characteristic of the 185s and the sliding of the 195s it is the same reason as what hellstar has pointed out.

@anoop - both of you sport 195s right i mean pras and you. Then how is yours fatter as compared to his?

@Bapu - Congrats man! and all the very best.
Shyam
ShyamSCrdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2009, 06:57   #725
Senior - BHPian

Default Diwali Effect

Cost of Crackers purchased : Rs.1500
Joy : Priceless

Rear glass Shattered :
Seems , a piece from the RedFort Crackers hit the rear glass of my Getz and the result was this.

Name:  DSCN2807.jpg
Views: 835
Size:  66.8 KB
undead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2009, 09:04   #726
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by undead View Post

Rear glass Shattered :
Seems , a piece from the RedFort Crackers hit the rear glass of my Getz and the result was this.

Attachment 212288
HURT on seeing the broken glass -: Priceless. (in negative terms)

Do post up how much the rear glass will cost.
krish3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2009, 09:56   #727
BHPian

Quote:

Rear glass Shattered :

Attachment 212288
Hi Undead, i just feel sorry for you. I am sure this would be covered as a part of insurance.

My question is about the quality of the glass and how much impact it can take. Thank god that the RedFort didnt sneak under the petrol tank.
MutantX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2009, 10:29   #728
Senior - BHPian

Ouch! That hurts!!

On the replacing part- see if you can get the glass with the heater and wash-wipe provision (or is it the regular glass that would be cut for the wiper blade?).
ph03n!x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2009, 10:44   #729
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MutantX View Post
Hi Undead, i just feel sorry for you. I am sure this would be covered as a part of insurance.

My question is about the quality of the glass and how much impact it can take. Thank god that the RedFort didnt sneak under the petrol tank.
I parked the car in my garage only . But cant judge the impact of the crackers . I couldnt believe it when we came to a conclusion that it was the crackers that damaged the glass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
Ouch! That hurts!!

On the replacing part- see if you can get the glass with the heater and wash-wipe provision (or is it the regular glass that would be cut for the wiper blade?).
Actually. There are 2 different glass . One with wiper and that was ready in Stock with the service centre, the glass has a hole for fitting the wiper . The one without wipers , suits our Getz CRDi has been ordered . I asked the parts manager whether we can fit the rear wipers using the 1st glass i mentioned , but he replied that its not possible .
Old 19th October 2009, 13:44   #730
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Actually. There are 2 different glass . One with wiper and that was ready in Stock with the service centre, the glass has a hole for fitting the wiper . The one without wipers , suits our Getz CRDi has been ordered . I asked the parts manager whether we can fit the rear wipers using the 1st glass i mentioned , but he replied that its not possible .
Hey it is quite possible- get the one with the hole in it. Does it also have the heating elements?

Order the wiper blades, wiring kit, etc and you are in business! The biggest challenge for me to to this was the cost of the windshield itself- now that you are doing it, I say go ahead!
Old 19th October 2009, 14:56   #731
BHPian

Quote:
Hey it is quite possible- get the one with the hole in it. Does it also have the heating elements?

Order the wiper blades, wiring kit, etc and you are in business! The biggest challenge for me to to this was the cost of the windshield itself- now that you are doing it, I say go ahead!
Yup! I dont think the dealer knows. It is very much possible.
ShyamSCrdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2009, 15:07   #732
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShyamSCrdi View Post
Yup! I dont think the dealer knows. It is very much possible.
But , i dont need those blades anyway. No use for me.
Old 19th October 2009, 18:26   #733
Senior - BHPian

Then take my rear glass pane- I will get the rear wash n wipe

When I was driving to Hassan and back, I missed the rear wash n wipe whenever it rained heavily- will definitely have one put in some time or other...
Old 7th January 2010, 20:45   #734
Senior - BHPian

Default Clocked 30000 kms

My little monster has done 30000kms now . Not driving the Getz often as for long trips Elantra is prefered. Only for local trips , i am running it.

Things done so far
1. Front windshield changed as there was a crack on it . Might have been caused by a stone while driving. Insurance took care of it.
2. Ride quality has become harsh due to BF Goodrich tires. Tire noise becoming louder or feeling like that as i am driving the Michelin LC fitted Elantra . But grip is good.
3. JBL speakers and Amp removed and fitted in Elantra and replaced with Stock speakers from Elantra. Need to buy some speakers again.
4. Had some alignment issues in the middle and one of the Inner section(front left) of the tires have become bald . Tire had faced a puncture on the edge and unable to fix it and so using it as a spare tire now with a tube. After rechecking of the alignment , outer edge (front right) of the tire is losing buttons quickly. Checked with the Hyundai if there are any issues with the suspension ,but everything seems fine. Will try another alignment centre next time.
Old 11th February 2010, 12:53   #735
Senior - BHPian

Default Change of Shoes.

Today , I had changed the shoes for my Getz. BF Goodrich (3 tires) have worn out unevenly due to lower air pressure and some misalignment from a alignment centre. Tires have become more noisier and hard. Kept the nice tire for spare use. Tires run approximately 22000 kms. Still has buttons to run , but not happy with the tires.

Fitted in yokohama A drives 195/60R14 . Each tire costing Rs.3550 . Tire pressure kept at 32psi. I can feel much difference from the BF Goodrichs. Steering has become very light . So much reduction in tire noise . Smoother on the roads. Didnt test the grip levels as the tires are new and need some run-in period. Nowadays not pushing my Getz hard , just staying at 90's or 100 max. Racing with my Pete's elantra only.