Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Closed Thread

Old 30th June 2008, 10:40   #166
Senior - BHPian

1st Long drive

I got to go to chennai this weekend with parents. Drive was from Hosur to Chennai friday late night and back sunday eve.

Since it was not a vacation or a too long a drive I am just giving a few vital stats.

I was looking forward to this trip to open the engine up. I tanked up in BP Ghar (prev run gave only 15Kmpl - lowest till date, some major city jams with AC on led to this).

After crossing krishnagiri at 11Pm, slowly hovering at 90-100 KMPH I could feel why this car is purely a highway car. So much of power beyond 2200RPM but sadly only in 3 4 5th gears.

I got the guts to try some 100-105 runs, tried to listen for some rumbles, vibrations etc. The vibrations are pronounced HIGH through the gear shifter. Nothing through the steering or the body. Then I decided to floor it progressively. Tried a few 110 Runs and cooled back to 90 and listened for noises.

Stopped for tea somewhere! and opened the hood and checked for leaks - None, Good.

Last 100Kms was happy to try 120 and the car felt solid like a rock. The 14" feels a lot safer than 13" on the Indica's. Had a few close calls of a truck changing lanes without indicating, and I had to stamp the brakes.

The best takeaway i have from this 1st real drive is power is abundant from 70-120, just need to keep shifting from 4-5th. Am quite impressed with this drive.

After nearly 60Kms in chennai MAYHEM traffic, started sunday eve, and faced a DIESEL NO STOCK situation till kanchipuram. I had barely over half tank, and was worried if I can make it back.

Found a tiny village bunk queued up and took a detour and filled 8Lts of NORMAL diesel. I called my showroom service advisor and he told me to fill as minimum as possible to avoid any serious damage to CAT CONV.

Did some steady 110-120 on the remaining 250Kms - had fun.

Reached hosur and tanked up and added the 8Lts to my equation and I got 18KMPL on the dot. I was hoping 20 on highways, but i think the steady 110+ speeds brought it down. Still happy...
Old 1st July 2008, 12:39   #167
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

> Found a tiny village bunk queued up and took a detour and filled 8Lts of
> NORMAL diesel. I called my showroom service advisor and he told me to fill as > minimum as possible to avoid any serious damage to CAT CONV.

What has normal diesel to do with damage to CAT CON?
Old 1st July 2008, 15:07   #168
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trrk View Post
What has normal diesel to do with damage to CAT CON?
no clue trrk - he said there may be potential issues to a BS3 engine, may be the injectors or the fuel pump in case i use regular diesel..

what is your opinion to it? which fuel are you driving your marina in?
Old 1st July 2008, 18:03   #169
Senior - BHPian

I use normal diesel all the time. planning to get a bottle of system D sometime
Old 1st July 2008, 19:51   #170
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

> he said there may be potential issues to a BS3 engine, may be the injectors
> or the fuel pump in case i use regular diesel..

I am not very sure, but it should be the other way round. For the common rail engines, the enriched fuels are supposed to be problematic with the fuel pumps of these engines.

Most of the cars with common rail engines are advised to use normal diesel only.

> what is your opinion to it? which fuel are you driving your marina in?

I am not tech savvy enough to really comment. Since about its 20000kms, it is getting fed on the enriched one.

There was a discussion about this in the yahoo indica group. I can't trace the partilcular message. When I find it, I will give you the link.

You can use the normal diesel, normal diesel with System D or the enriched diesels. Please do not use the enriched ones and System D together.
Old 1st July 2008, 20:19   #171
Senior - BHPian

OMG---------

>>Please do not use the enriched ones and System D together

I was about to get this done next month, thx for leting me know..

when you say common rail is it only for CRDI? does TDI have a common rail? I dont think so...

---
Greenhorn -

Recomend some (REAL) quality pumps in Tvdum plz. its when i drop in on 17th 18th and 19th july..
Old 1st July 2008, 23:29   #172
Senior - BHPian

I usually tank up at one at keshavadasapuram opp St Mary's school,
Then there is the Varma travels pump ( SP Fort hospital-East fort road ),
One at pongumood, and one on the general hospital-patoor road . these are the places dad recommends(and in the areas i frequent). Anyone else got any recommends ?

Last edited by greenhorn : 1st July 2008 at 23:30.
Old 2nd July 2008, 12:28   #173
Senior - BHPian

green - thx i will write these names down... plz visit my travel query to tvm - have posted a question there....
Old 2nd July 2008, 12:30   #174
BHPian

[quote=svsantosh;887379]OMG---------

>>Please do not use the enriched ones and System D together

I was about to get this done next month, thx for leting me know..

when you say common rail is it only for CRDI? does TDI have a common rail? I dont think so...

---

According to my service advisor at Concorde, premium + System D really fouls up the FIP (mine is a BSII Indica and has only the mechanical pump but BS3 versions run off an ECU) . So stick to a reputed bunk with normal diesel and if needed you can use the System D.

I went in for a new type of treatment last month, I bought on his advice a can of BG CF5

BG Company

and put it in my fuel tank after the oil change and tanked up. This thing supposedly cleans up the entire fuel delivery system. You only have to make sure that you don't run the car too low on fuel - never below quarter full. I need to add another can only at the next oil change.

So far cannot comment on the FE,don't think it has changed but the black fumes when I accelerate have definitely gone down, and the car pulls in all gears even with AC on - means that FIP is okay

But check with your service guys if it is okay to use it when you are still running the engine in.

Tata's TDI (depending on the trim variant) is currently IDI Turbo intercooled or just IDI Turbo - not common rail - whereas world over it used to indicate a turboed direct injection diesel
Old 2nd July 2008, 14:36   #175
Senior - BHPian

thanks indivic..

I will continue using premuim until a good 10-12K Kms and after I am fully confident of running the engine in i will experiment with other combos.

---Update on city driving experience---

I had to do a long trip inside city in chaotic MORNING BTM - outer ring road - marathalli - whitefield ITPL (drop wife) - back in same route - silk board - electronic city. HELLISH DRIVE!!!

I discovered one thing, this car behaves really well if you are ok to sacrifice FE and start to upshift and downshift at around 1800-2400ish RPMs. Also I learnt TATA doesnt use gear box oils anymore in their cars. They have signed a agreement with PIDILITE and use 2 liters of fevicol with additive - fevikwik half liter inside the gear box. Thats how much creative I can get to write 'STICKY GEARS'.
Old 3rd July 2008, 13:53   #176
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
thanks indivic..

Also I learnt TATA doesnt use gear box oils anymore in their cars. They have signed a agreement with PIDILITE and use 2 liters of fevicol with additive - fevikwik half liter inside the gear box. Thats how much creative I can get to write 'STICKY GEARS'.
You are welcome, I just wanted to share my experience.

About the sticky gears, nice one , but that's how the gear shifts will be on the current Indica platform. Grin and bear it till about 10k-15K or 3rd service then it becomes smoother. When I had my gearbox oil changed 20K , it really became smooth even though I have to move the shifter about 1km between each slot otherwise you will come to rest at the neutral.
Old 4th July 2008, 17:28   #177
Senior - BHPian

thx indivic - hope to have a smoother drive after 1st service...

-------------------------

....update....

I got a seat cover at last - did not spend on expensive art leather - i got basic fabric made by Dolphin. They had good ones for 5800Rs art leather - did not have that much..!!

these fabric ones by dolphin cost me 2700Rs...

Also Got REVERSE Parking sensors by KeyStone Aka Auto Cop for 2300Rs. Neat installation done by Konarks Jayanagar.

Total damage = 5000Rs today.

Pics will be posted soon...
Old 4th July 2008, 20:33   #178
Senior - BHPian

can i have those sensors installed in front as well? I've got more parking scratches on the front than back !
Old 5th July 2008, 17:29   #179
Senior - BHPian

Hi greenhorn,

> can i have those sensors installed in front as well? I've got more parking
> scratches on the front than back !

My City has six sensor unit with 2 in front and the remaining at the rear. At speeds below 10 -15 kms, the front ones are active when the car is in D. Once the speeds increase, the dispaly goes off.

The present ones are OK, they are not as sensitive as I would like them to be. The front ones do behave oddly by coming on during rains - some shorting problem, I think.

To answer your question, yes, they can be fitted. But I am sure it depends on how many sensors the control unit can handle.
Old 5th July 2008, 19:36   #180
BHPian

Default Re: Indica V2 gears

I own a Turbo DLX Feb 07. Done 5-6 servicings till now and now the gears have started making vibrational noises; and to be honest among all the servicings, none have given me smooth gears just that at every servicing they feel different for some time and then back to FULL strenght gear shifting!!

they say right handed people have a strong right arm, but i feel that the right handed people who drive the indica have a stronger left arm.

"I Hope the V3 is the better improved indica! Mr. Ratan?"
Closed Thread