Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Closed Thread

Old 17th July 2008, 14:16   #196
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by indivic View Post
Agreed, but that's where being defensive helps - like making sure that the clearance between the vehicles is sufficient or carrying sufficient speed so that they don't know what went past (the civic's power helps here and in case of the Indica, switching off the ac )
Not easy to keep safe distance or get to some speed, if for eg, u are driving in the narrow roads in Bangalore during peak traffic or on Arcot road in Chennai for that matter. And you don't have control over two wheelers/auto who are trying to exploit every small gap to inch ahead-left,right or centre. I have always felt that horn is the best safety(as well as warning) device in India - more than ABS or airbags!!
Old 17th July 2008, 19:55   #197
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridharps View Post
Not easy to keep safe distance or get to some speed, if for eg, u are driving in the narrow roads in Bangalore during peak traffic or on Arcot road in Chennai for that matter. And you don't have control over two wheelers/auto who are trying to exploit every small gap to inch ahead-left,right or centre. I have always felt that horn is the best safety(as well as warning) device in India - more than ABS or airbags!!
Thankfully I don't have to traverse either, but then if you are stuck in peak hour rush, nothing helps but patience.
I do agree with Santosh, flipping the bird was about 5 years ago for me and after becoming a cager from a biker, I always let the bikers go even if it means that the car behind is honking away to glory.

For all I know it could be an illiterate/ignorant driver who has to ride his bike and make his way past the same type of traffic, I just hope that he would learn someday.

We are probably going OT here , I hope Santosh doesn't mind.

Last edited by indivic : 17th July 2008 at 19:58.
Old 21st July 2008, 19:20   #198
Senior - BHPian

ok guys - thx for some inputs on avoiding avoidable dents in city...

---update---
did a blore-tvm-blore drive including cochin detour - ODO read 1549 Kms back to BTM layout. I got a average of 18+ - whole trip needed LOTS of 2500+ RPM shifts in 3rd and 4th gear overtakes - typical of Kerala and single lane roads. 90% AC. Yes - even in night time i had it on coz wifey was asleep in back seat (just like a bed) and AC was comfy...

I took 14 Hours (7Pm Electronic City - 9AM Varkala) for 750 Kms. Return was more slow took nearly 20hours!!

Car behaved very well and a few points to note below.

* Lots of new squeaks and creaks after rattling the car around 1500Kms on patchy indian roads - typical TATA, just loosened her up...
* Boot is great - for all you Indica Would-be owners, please re-think on a CS.
* The 14" is of great help, I had to do a lot of 3rd 2500-3000 RPM overtakes of a slow truck and tuck behind another one quickly to avoid the oncoming ones - the brakes and tyre's did a great job.
* Ate the 1st POThole and really did not harm much on the RIMs (getting a alignment check/balancing next week just in case)
Old 22nd July 2008, 13:09   #199
Senior - BHPian

Hi Santosh,

> 90% AC. Yes - even in night time i had it on coz wifey was asleep in back
> seat (just like a bed) and AC was comfy...

In all my cars, the AC is never switched off. All my mileages are with 100% AC ON. Even after a long drive you feel like a human being when the AC is on. Easier to do this in a vehicle with HVAC as you can use the thermostat and the blower speed to adjust it your comfort even when the weather is cold outside.

This is my take. Many people prefer to enjoy the fresh air outside!
Old 23rd July 2008, 10:28   #200
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trrk View Post
Even after a long drive you feel like a human being when the AC is on. !
so true - somehow I never had the brains to UTILIZE what i paid for in my old Alto LX, of the total 47K i may not have exceeded 1-2K with AC...in the guise of saving money and getting roasted most of the time... So in the new car new rule is AC always on, unless the blore roads are less dusty and the weather chill factor is real nice outside... I am making sure this car is used well before I sell it off. Pity, my Alto did only 47K in 5 years!! - and still the resale value was Sick. So considering the resale of any car in todays world is BAD, I will make sure I clock the MAGIC 1L mark in this car...
Old 23rd July 2008, 10:37   #201
Senior - BHPian

to be honest, you wouldnt want to drive an Alto with the AC on, the power drop was that severe. The tata on the other hand is very driveable. the only issue i face is the sudden jerk when the AC cuts in/off . Any solutions for that ?
Old 23rd July 2008, 16:07   #202
Senior - BHPian

Hi Santosh,

> I will make sure I clock the MAGIC 1L mark in this car...

All the best! The maximum I have managed is 76000kms in my safari and 75000kms in a Contessa. The Safari was with me for almost 6 years and the Contessa about six months less than that.

I just have the bad habit of changing cars more frequently than I should!

> @greenhorn
> the only issue i face is the sudden jerk when the AC cuts in/off . Any
> solutions for that ?

Nothing right now!
Old 23rd July 2008, 19:08   #203
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
the only issue i face is the sudden jerk when the AC cuts in/off . Any solutions for that ?
i remember reading same issue in some bhpians Alto - problem was with the compressor or the belt i guess - let me know if its severe enough to open a new thread...

Quote:
I have managed is 76000kms in my safari and 75000kms in a Contessa.
thats cool - i hope to out run the investment i did this time at least...i have never reached 50K in any of the automobiles i had (bikes included)
Old 24th July 2008, 12:14   #204
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
to be honest, you wouldnt want to drive an Alto with the AC on, the power drop was that severe. The tata on the other hand is very driveable. the only issue i face is the sudden jerk when the AC cuts in/off . Any solutions for that ?
You mean Alto is non driveable with AC on
But all my highway trips are with AC on and I do 3-digit speeds most of the time. ABove 80kmph I dont see any power drop syndrome in Alto (atleast in my car) and ofcourse never had this sudden jerk !!

Abhi
Old 24th July 2008, 12:42   #205
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
But all my highway trips are with AC on and I do 3-digit speeds most of the time. ABove 80kmph I dont see any power drop syndrome in Alto
when its cruising , i suppose it doesnt make any difference, but with > 3 people and when you need the car to accelerate /climb it is severely hindered by the AC.

The jerk issue was regarding the indica, sorry for the ambiguity

Last edited by greenhorn : 24th July 2008 at 12:44.
Old 24th July 2008, 15:37   #206
BHPian

Quote:
Hi,

> he said there may be potential issues to a BS3 engine, may be the injectors
> or the fuel pump in case i use regular diesel..

I am not very sure, but it should be the other way round. For the common rail engines, the enriched fuels are supposed to be problematic with the fuel pumps of these engines.

Most of the cars with common rail engines are advised to use normal diesel only.

> what is your opinion to it? which fuel are you driving your marina in?

I am not tech savvy enough to really comment. Since about its 20000kms, it is getting fed on the enriched one.

There was a discussion about this in the yahoo indica group. I can't trace the partilcular message. When I find it, I will give you the link.

You can use the normal diesel, normal diesel with System D or the enriched diesels. Please do not use the enriched ones and System D together.
I drive a BS III Indica and one thing I noticed is that if I use a normal diesel the engine clatters. However with premium fuel irrespective of the brand, it is much smoother.
Old 24th July 2008, 18:00   #207
Senior - BHPian

Talking ******5000Km Update******

Mods - Please edit thread title to 5000Km update
-----------------------------------------------

* 5000Km done with 1 vandal scratch on windscreem - still going strong.
* FE 15.5 in city+ac; 18+ Highway+ac
* Topped 130Kmph, had more power, did not want to push it
* Ride feels solid, expected from TATA, can be bit hard over bumps at low speeds
* AC is a BIG CHILL, fantastic
* Road noise and squeaks have cropped up after the kerala trip, need to grease them out
* Tyres are a major+ point over 13" ones in Indica.
* Boot - i simply love.
* Using only Premium diesel till date.
* 1st service cost 500(for Bardhal, not compulsary)
* Fit and Finish can give Ashok Leyland the blushes - what more can you expect
* City driving can be painful in 1-2 gears - Purely a Highway Car
* Brakes solid - thanks to 14" mainly
* Over patchy and potholed and uneven surface - feels Great and smooth
Attached Thumbnails
Indigo CS TDI - 40,000Kms done. Edit: SOLD-23july08.jpg  

Old 25th July 2008, 13:36   #208
Senior - BHPian

---Small Issue---

I feel my right front power window is a bit slow when it is operated to raise up. Not when going down, and not on other 3 doors. Went to AutoCop and got the door panel removed and got the window motor nuts bolts tightened and no improvement. It seems the Door Beading is Very tight that its holding back the glass from moving freely.

Any thoughts? Will it harm the motor or any other thing?

------------

I saw a new product from AutoCop - a power windor relay, that auto rolls the windows upon locking the car with remote. Its 1500Rs with bill and warranty (Mrp-1500), is it worth it? Is it worth in a TATA, with all its electrical issues?

Can I use the power window with engine off and NOT harm the battery?

Please advise...
Old 25th July 2008, 17:23   #209
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
I saw a new product from AutoCop...

Can I use the power window with engine off ...
I have the same product (auto window close relay) from RD in my XL. No issues at all. A small but helpful addition for sure. Don't forget to put it with a separate fuse if you are installing it.

IMO using power windows while engine is off is not a problem. Such a situation arises many times. Yes, as known to us all, any such excessive use can drain the battery, but once in a while is fine.
Old 25th July 2008, 17:32   #210
Senior - BHPian

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bouncer View Post
I have the same product (auto window close relay) from RD in my XL. .
Exactly - I was reading your thread and thats what prompted me to enquire about such a product - and ended up hearing about the one from Auto Cop for 1.5K MRP, Am sure it sells for no more than 1.2K...

btw - ur car rocks... looks great and solid comfort Indian style... 20 FE is great too...

-----FE Update----

Many of your heard about the bangalore diesel crisis - so after 4 days of Severe 1-2gear traffic, I topped up just after 199Kms on the ODO, just because I saw a bunk selling fuel... I got 14Kmpl - WORST till date :(
so the official worst till date in city is 14...
Closed Thread