Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Closed Thread

Old 4th February 2009, 03:15   #316
BHPian

svsantosh, have just read the entire thread. Thanks a ton to you and trrk for the detailed updates. So the big Q: would you recommend the car over the Swift D?

What has been your overall mileage so far? Pls advice.
Old 11th February 2009, 22:46   #317
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proxima View Post
svsantosh, have just read the entire thread. Thanks a ton to you and trrk for the detailed updates. So the big Q: would you recommend the car over the Swift D?

What has been your overall mileage so far? Pls advice.
Extremely sorry for the late reply - had been busy...

1) Swift D is a VERYVERY diff car in every sense. I got this car purely for space and economy over my 1st Alto.

2) This is of course not a Crap car- just that its very very rough and truck like when compared to the SwftD.

3) If you want something diesel and a boot for sub 5L then this CS LS is the way to go.

4) If you want smooth refinement and DONT want a boot - go for the D. It rocks...!!

5) If you can strech a bit - the Dzire LDi can be GREAT VFM.
Old 11th February 2009, 22:54   #318
Senior - BHPian

add to that the spacious interiors. the swift rear seat is nowhere near as good as the indigo's
Old 12th February 2009, 15:30   #319
Senior - BHPian

Pretty detailed thread:

I was surprised at seeing the cracked oil seal so early on. Isn't it too early?

Spare Parts prices are CHEAP. Oil filter on the Multijet is Rs 400/- (with tax) and Diesel filter is about Rs 1000/- as opposed to Rs 100-odd for your car.

Transmission Axle oil at 15,000 km?
Old 12th February 2009, 19:00   #320
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by architect View Post
Spare Parts prices are CHEAP. Oil filter on the Multijet is Rs 400/- (with tax) and Diesel filter is about Rs 1000/- as opposed to Rs 100-odd for your car.

Transmission Axle oil at 15,000 km?
For common rail diesel engines, the diesel filter is a special kind which collects water etc and has an indicator when there is a lot of it. So it is costly. In TDi it is not there and hence the cheap diesel filter.

It was technically the 20000kms service though it was done a bit earlier and hence the gear oil change as per Santosh's post earlier.

Last edited by trrk : 12th February 2009 at 19:03.
Old 13th February 2009, 01:31   #321
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trrk View Post
Hi,

For common rail diesel engines, the diesel filter is a special kind which collects water etc and has an indicator when there is a lot of it. So it is costly. In TDi it is not there and hence the cheap diesel filter.

It was technically the 20000kms service though it was done a bit earlier and hence the gear oil change as per Santosh's post earlier.
Thanks for the details.

I will check If I have a transmission oil change coming up at 22,500 km service or not.

Hmm... I guess that's the "premium" one has to pay for CRDI technology. However, what it implies (atleast to me) is that the TDI CS and the TDI Vista must be having much lower regular maintenance costs with only marginally lower FE. And a simpler engine, hence lesser fear of expensive parts failures (common rail injectors etc).

Alas, they have lower FTD factor too.
Old 13th February 2009, 12:54   #322
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by architect View Post
However, what it implies (atleast to me) is that the TDI CS and the TDI Vista must be having much lower regular maintenance costs with only marginally lower FE. And a simpler engine, hence lesser fear of expensive parts failures (common rail injectors etc).
The Tata TDi engines are really value for money, especially compared to their own DICOR for the Indica and its cousins. the only area the latter scored was on driveability as the turbo got into action even at 1400RPM.
Old 21st February 2009, 10:06   #323
Senior - BHPian

Thumbs up 20,000 KM Update

20K came up last week, was busy for a update...

* Car is a typical diesel workhorse.
* A/c and Power steering and the heavy weight feeling over rough roads are great additions.
* Rattles are present, doors dont feel like a sedan.
* Engine is Ok for the job, great in highway, But constant 1-2 routine in city.
* Been getting 14-16 constant FE Mixed.
* Very reliable till now - absolutely no niggles. Just get the right oil changes done in/by TASS.
* Warranty issue till date was a blown valve door seal - made the engine bay look all greasy - changed free of cost.
* Only spare changed till date was a blown fuse - Myfault; used a incorrect cigar ligter in the company provided slot - caused a short circuit.
* Overall a great VFM Sedan, the boot is a great life saver for anyone who moved from a small car (Alto in my case) to a entry sedan.
Old 1st March 2009, 20:47   #324
Senior - BHPian

Thumbs down Bad Day...........!!!!!!!!!!

28-Feb-2009, 8:30PM, Krishnagiri to Hosur GQ, 70+ KMPH

Well, I was returning from Trichy after a wedding reception and had my wifey along, & a colleague, his wife and 1yr boy in rear seat. It was well into the dark hours and was coming down a slope on the GQ, visibility more than 3Kms, after the slope is a Huge ASCEND - on which few trucks smoke, burn out.

I noticed at least from 2Kms - a semi-rig was pulled over to the left - some break down for sure. There was another empty truck which was ahead of me, since i did not want to over take it (since i Knew there was a obstacle on the left lane ahead) I tucked in behind him - leaving a safe 50+ Mts. I had few other vehicles behind me...

A few seconds later this 'convoy' nears the breakdown truck, so the 1st truck passes at around 60+, plenty of space before me and the truck ahead left, I noticed suddenly that the break down truck was lined up ENTIRELY with HUGE boulders to its right side - ALL THE UPTO the DIVIDED LANE Splitter. So I was pushed to extreme right...

Then all of the sudden I NOTICE One Huge stone in the DEAD-CENTER of my Right Lane, *** Many more on the left - the MEDIAN on the RIGHT*** I HAD to run over it (Coz I had many more vehicles coming down the slope behind me).

HUGE BANG - Below the hood - massive impact - I thought DEAD for sure....

Jumped to put the parking lights on, DID not brake - wasnt sure what had broken off!! Since it was a steep ascend - let the car coast to stop - Hand brakes Worked...pulled over to left extreme...

Every one was jittery, made sure the Kid wasnt startled... told both ladies to remain calm - quickly switched off AirCon and (power) lowered all windows- before every thing else stops working.

Next second - Brain Registers a STEEP increase in IDLE speed - MASSIVE JUDDER during Idle - whole vehicle is RATTLING in idle - (switched off) - stepped out after making sure all vehicles had passed me...

I LAY flat before the car Immediately (on the Mud) - forcing my friend to ask why prostrate before a (banged) car (he doesnt drive/own a car). Told him nothing and waited for 30-40 seconds - noticed NO -NO!! fluid leakage - so must have been some metal Impact. The BUMPER had not been scratched - means the boulder was big enough to pass beneath the bumper - But cause a huge Impact.

Sat inside the car - time was 8:15 Ish... Instincts kicked in, called (My True Sai dealer) TATA showroom which was hardly 4 Kms ahead - obviously they were closed. Ok, Now what?

Then something very different happened to me... I told to myself *S*C*R*E*W the car - FAMILY is more Important - told every one I am not sitting in the middle of the forest waiting for help (with a tiny kid admist).

Started the car - Huge JUDDER JUDDER - declutched it - slight Revs - the Judders Dissappeared - idle it - Judders again - Ok..!! Then slotted into 1st, and with No- AC , came back onto left lane - checked rear-view, no one...

Went to 30-40 Range - cleared the Ascend - and told every one I am going to check the brakes - they worked (also checked the Hand Brakes in case of need).

Maintained a close watch of any WARNING lights - none - travelled 10Kms and reached Hosur (my town). Called my Old Maruthi MASS friend - (Alto days) - Told him I am coming in with a broke car - on reaching there at 845 ish - Jacked the car on a electric jack post - Huge Relief....
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

The (TIE??) Rod which connects both the Left - Right
suspension - had Bore the BRUNT of the Impact. It was Bent so much so that I moved at least a feet aback and damaged the Exhaust Manifold. NOTHING Else - At Least visually. Told MASS friend that I will park it for the weekend and pick it up on monday morning - to check it with TASS guys.

The MASS guys work on all Indica Taxis and Indigo Taxi's in Hosur - they estimate a 3-5K bill, requested me to Avoid Insurance if its that litttle a bill to avoid NCB loss.

Went home from there in another friends car.

I will update the rest on monday morning - taking a day off to get this fix process started.

--------- Key learning from this experience, for all the readers here, if the issue of your ride "VS" the ones inside it crops up - you will end up choosing the human factor of life... I did. After all a car is just a car, & I am sure many or all here will second to the above statement ---------
Old 2nd March 2009, 07:03   #325
Senior - BHPian

Santhosh,

That is one hell of an experience. Good presence of mind to:
1. Coast the car to stop
2. Be aware of the other vehicle and terrain you were in
3. Bring down all glasses (man!!! )

In a situation like this, most people usually brake hard and sweep to the side, to stop ASAP, causing even more danger. Great reaction!

And yes, if it ever comes to 'stranding family' vs 'major damage to car', I am sure we all will make the choice that you made.

Do let us know the TASS analysis.
Old 2nd March 2009, 10:21   #326
BANNED

santosh, thats a hell of an experience to have with family alongwith, but must say your good presense of mind worked well with calming down, taking time and checking out what u can, which other people usually panic and brake hard which might be more risky in that steep road. Whats the update now do let us know, and TASS might have checked ur car too, whats the analysis by them.
Old 2nd March 2009, 11:17   #327
Team-BHP Support

svsanthosh, the indica/indigo undercarriage is such that if you hit rocks at hight speed, you damage tie rods or crossmember. Crossmember usually goes and hits the exhaust manifold, and thus the entire vibration is passed on the chasis, so it appears as massive judder.
Crossmembers are cheap to replace, tie rods are slightly more expensive.
However to be on the safe side the engine sump should be inspected. Another thing to check is the alternator/power steering pully when vehicle is started.
With vehicle swiched off, it looks okay, but when the car is on, if you see pully vibrating and not roating smoothly, change that, otherwise it causes things like bearing jam, belt breakage few hundred kms down the line.
So while inspection, ask them to start the vehicle and check pully.
Also get the ball joint inspected. The tie rod etc., has to be removed to do that. Its not visible without removing this stuff. Faulty ball joint can damage your power steering pump in long run.
Old 2nd March 2009, 13:59   #328
Senior - BHPian

and dont forget the power steering bits - they're also prone to damage there
Old 2nd March 2009, 14:31   #329
Senior - BHPian

Happywheels, Vijay, Tanveer, Greenhorn... thx for all your responses.

Back from TASS - things not looking so good... Tanveer was Spot on - the cross member has taken a hit and looks like they need to STRIP the car down to its BONES and weld out the bent cross member and fix a new one... the spares part is Ok (10K~) - the Labour is killing - he is quoting 10K @ least for the entire strip and rebuild process.

I am easily staring at least 5K out of pocket expenses which I think is the price I have to pay for driving in this country...!!!

And the time part is killing too - TASS is quoting 2weeks approx :(

Cant wait to get it back...
Old 2nd March 2009, 15:33   #330
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
...looks like they need to STRIP the car down to its BONES and weld out the bent cross member and fix a new one...
Ouch! That really hurts!

I hope they do a good job of taking out and placing back properly.

2 weeks...! Long 2 weeks, isn't it!
Closed Thread