Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 21st June 2008, 13:48   #16
Senior - BHPian

congrats avi bhai,

but shouldnt we wait till we get the free flow and the air filter, so that the real difference is seen?
rider60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2008, 15:01   #17
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Congrats! I didnt expect you to go ahead and buy one so soon.
Hope you're going to do a 0-100 run on a safe road somewhere, just to know what improvement you've got.

There will be smoke on heavy acceleration at speeds above 120. something I never understood. because if the fuelling is increased, the smoke should increase in all gears at higher rpms, and not just in 4th and 5th. wonder why that is.

anyway, the smoke problem disappears with the CAI.
drive around without the CAI for a few weeks and when you start feeling the need for more acceleration/torque, install the CAI

more obvious improvements come after the CAI.
engine gets less noisy, climbs the rev range easier, and mid and top revs provide much more accelaration.

also, dont bother checking the FE now, wait a few weeks for your driving style to settle down back to your usual.

if your gear shift points remain the same as before the tuning box installation, the FE should go up by 1-2kmpl, but thats not why you bought the box is it?
rippergeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2008, 15:06   #18
Team-BHP Support

Well, I must be one of the first person barring the owner of course to have driven this fantastic car (Pete or no Pete) after it has been petefied.

There were several impediments when I drove it. It was not exactly the runway on which you test such cars. I drove it for a short distance on the busy Madhapur (hi-tech city) road amidst 100s of vehicles all around. My observations,
* I am not 100% sure how the behavior of this particular car without the box is.
* I however have an inherent understanding for the general diesel engine behaviour.
* With all the hype that surrounds Pete's box one would have expected that a Petefied car will make a leap for the moon the moment you gun the engine.
* Instead, what I realized is that this car is one languid performer. Diesels inherently are very relaxed cruisers. This box has most probably made this car even more so. In the 3rd gear it can go down to very low RPMs and then again pull back to high-speeds without any hiccups or histrionics. Its a very smooth power-delivery.

How much of this difference is because of the box and how much is the car's inherent capability is something I guess only Avi can narrate best.

Buddy, that Pete's sticker on the windshield is real yummy.
Zappo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2008, 18:25   #19
Senior - BHPian

Great review of the Accent Viva CRDI, and the Peted effect, Avi. Those were mighty good pics too, especially the one with the wine bottle. Looks like the last pic is at Vikarabad station, right?
I have a question for you--isn't the beige dash causing reflection on the windscreen? If so, how are you coping with it?
Your car looks ship-shape even after 2 + years. BTW, are those stunning alloys stock?
vnabhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2008, 07:53   #20
BHPian

Congrats on the much awaited ego boost post the last trip :-). I was waiting for this thread to start to get in some reviews. But how come no pics of the actual Box itself? And what ever happened to the Air Filters? I thought you were getting that fixed as well?
theodore_ftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2008, 09:12   #21
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Great review of the Accent Viva CRDI, and the Peted effect, Avi. Those were mighty good pics too, especially the one with the wine bottle. Looks like the last pic is at Vikarabad station, right?
I have a question for you--isn't the beige dash causing reflection on the windscreen? If so, how are you coping with it?Your car looks ship-shape even after 2 + years. BTW, are those stunning alloys stock?
Thanks Venu, yes thats vikarabad station. And, now when people comment about the biege dash, i realized. Otherwise i had never noticed which obviously means it never caused me any problems.

No, they aren't stock alloys but are after-market. I got them from Ashoka Wheels and Talwar paid for it

Quote:
Originally Posted by rider60 View Post
congrats avi bhai,

but shouldnt we wait till we get the free flow and the air filter, so that the real difference is seen?
Thanks Yash. You mean a CAI? I am planning to go for a Storm filter with cold air intake pipe but in sometime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kutlee View Post
Good review. I think its time for another meet then. Who is the installer in Hyd?? Are you still using normal diesel?? How are your tyres now?
Thanks Mahesh. You bet, i can't wait for a meet. Their is only one dealer-cum-installer in hyderabad called Golecha and Sons. A bunch of kids ( around 5 of them) they pounced on my car and experimented and fitted this kit. I am still worried if they got it right. They also happen to be dealers for Green Cotton Air Filters. If you need their contact, just pm me

Since i bought the car, i have always used normal diesel and will continue to do so. My tyres are stock and at 25K+ still extremely good. I plan to keep them for another 10K and then change to performance tyres ( Yoko's or Michelins)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkr2k2 View Post
ah! i am surprised of such an early report, as today is a weekend, i was expecting you to be off the city in your petefied waana be verna. as for the peted car, NO COMMENTS till I drive it myself.
Raj dude, i did 500kms in the city from wednesday night to saturday. isn't that good enough?cheers:

Rippergeo, if i decide on something, then it has to be ASAP. When you say CAI, is the Storm air filter your referring to?

@aggoswami, thanks for your comments

@Zappo, glad to know you liked driving my car. you should check out the rush of power only on a open road. Whereas you drove in the thick of the traffic. You bet the sticker is awesome. I never stick them to body and prefer only on windsheilds, the body needs to be pristine

Last edited by mobike008 : 22nd June 2008 at 09:17.
mobike008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2008, 09:48   #22
BANNED

wow wow wow avinash bhai thats a good upgrade ,do you have any idea how much will it cost for swiftttt
zenopio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2008, 09:57   #23
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenopio View Post
wow wow wow avinash bhai thats a good upgrade ,do you have any idea how much will it cost for swiftttt
I reckon its 29k. Why don't you meet the dealer and check out the difference. The owner ( same age as yours) also drives a Swift which is pete-fied.

He also has a couple of nice products that you maybe interested in. Gear change indicator which shows the number in large digital format and looks awesome ( 6K)
Old 22nd June 2008, 10:08   #24

CAI(cold air intake)- for the accent its supposed to be the green Wind.
the Green storm is for 100Bhp+ cars IIRC. why does the install have to be ASAP if you dont mind me asking?
Old 22nd June 2008, 18:30   #25
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippergeo View Post
CAI(cold air intake)- for the accent its supposed to be the green Wind.
the Green storm is for 100Bhp+ cars IIRC. why does the install have to be ASAP if you dont mind me asking?
Well, i was advised by KB100 that i should not drive without a filter replacement after fitting a box. What do you think?
Old 22nd June 2008, 18:48   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Well, i was advised by KB100 that i should not drive without a filter replacement after fitting a box. What do you think?

Avi - My recommendation was you definitely need 'one of the two' - either the replacement filter or the CAI. For Stage 2 of the box a free flow is also recommended - which in our case will mean just removing the cat-con.

I will recommend you have a word with Peter himself to understand the pros and cons completely.
kb100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2008, 20:17   #27

if you want the full performance, you need the CAI/stock replacement.
low end will not change much after installation of the CAI, but the mid range and top end will definitely improve. for the price its available, its a must-buy.

added benefits(what I've noticed on the swift)
if driven decently, you'll get an extra kmpl of diesel.
engine will be quieter at cruising speeds
will rev faster and smoother.
smoke will disappear.

there's no real harm in driving with a stock filter, but when you can get a little bit more performance, why not?

buy it.
Old 23rd June 2008, 11:18   #28
Team-BHP Support

Thanks Guys, i am sold on the CAI but then want to do it in a couple of months. But, the only problem is the dealers in hyderabad are only 2 months old and young fellas and not sure if they know how to do this stuff.

I was quoted 6K for the dynamised CAI kit. Is it right?
Old 23rd June 2008, 12:59   #29
Senior - BHPian

Hey .. nice to read through the post..whats the mentioned output by Pete's for this engine.... with the CAI it'll be one hot ride....6k for CAI is round about correct...
dinar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2008, 13:25   #30
Senior - BHPian

hey how good is a CAI against the stock replacement? i know the CAI i gonna have that roar and much better filtering and more air, but then how good is a stock replacement?

you see i already have a conical RE-0950 on my accent viva CRDi RED too! but then getting the engine bay washed every once in a while is a little difficult task, so was kind of looking forward to getting the green cotton stock replacement that is available so guys please give your views!

EDIT: forgot to add, i have been using this filter for the past 35000kms and i am loving the roar, and the accelerator is real smooth with this than with the stock its just awesome, so i wanted to know how much difference it would make with the stock replacement before i make my kill!

Last edited by rider60 : 23rd June 2008 at 13:29.
rider60 is offline   Reply With Quote