Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 5th June 2009, 13:57   #61
BHPian

Hey Avi,
Does your rear mirror makes a rattling noise when driving at a low speed in 2nd gear? I been having this problem for few months so wanted to know if its common problem in VIVA
RishiSuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2009, 14:42   #62
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by RishiSuri View Post
Hey Avi,
Does your rear mirror makes a rattling noise when driving at a low speed in 2nd gear? I been having this problem for few months so wanted to know if its common problem in VIVA
Not sure which rear view mirror you reffering to Rishi, But in my car neither the inside nor the two outside ORVM's rattle at any speeds. But, i find their size way too small for clear visibility
mobike008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2009, 17:43   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
This problem re-surfaced back a couple of days ago and yesterday it was bad, when i step on the gas, the car just stops and when i release the accelarator pedal, it moves forward, it was so embarrasing in heavy traffic. Got some angry stares and decided that i cannot bear people looking at me like that so decided visit Laxmi Hyundai and meet my contact.

CS guy immediately took a test drive and within the first 50 meters he got the same problem, so he hooked up the scanner to check on the sensors and told me everything is fine. He asked me to leave the car for a day so they can identify the problem. Since i was on way to work, said will leave it in evening.

When i was driving away from workshop, noticed my ICE,dashboard clock,cabin light went dead. Also, noted that everytime i switch off the engine, trip meter comes back to 0.

Since the time i left the workshop till this minute, the problem didnt arise again, it just disappeared. It's totally weird.

But, since the others things still dont work,decided to pay them a visit again this morning to fix them. They checked all fuses and found everything alright. They even removed and reconnected the battery wires. No avail. As I was in a hurry mentioned will come back again a day or so.

Just dont know what is wrong and what i need to do to fix the trip meter resetting problem, Dead ICE and dashboard clock? Any ideas?
The symptoms are of weak battery or loose connection. Tripmeter will reset only when its disconnected from the power source. Power loss may also happen if while travelling the ECM loses power supply for a split second.
MileCruncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2009, 18:26   #64
BHPian

I am talking of the mirror which is on the back of your car with the wiper on it.. Strangely mine makes a noise if i am at low speed.. Need to get it checked ...
RishiSuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2009, 18:41   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am talking of the mirror which is on the back of your car with the wiper on it.. Strangely mine makes a noise if i am at low speed.. Need to get it checked ...
Haven't come across any mirror with wipers!
Do you mean the rear glass? Check for loose objects on the rear parcel tray too.
pulsar56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2009, 18:54   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Check the Brake light mounted behind the rear glass. The rubber pad might have come off.
gopalnayak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2009, 20:39   #67
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
The symptoms are of weak battery or loose connection. Tripmeter will reset only when its disconnected from the power source. Power loss may also happen if while travelling the ECM loses power supply for a split second.
As mentioned, checked all fuses, removed the wires from the battery terminal and re-fixed it back tightly. But ICE,clock is still dead and trip meter resets to 0 each time i switch off the engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulsar56 View Post
Haven't come across any mirror with wipers!
Do you mean the rear glass? Check for loose objects on the rear parcel tray too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gopalnayak View Post
Check the Brake light mounted behind the rear glass. The rubber pad might have come off.
Rishi, you got the solution as above. Hope its the rear glass is what you meant that makes noise
Old 5th June 2009, 22:38   #68
BHPian

[quote=mobike008;1334631]As mentioned, checked all fuses, removed the wires from the battery terminal and re-fixed it back tightly. But ICE,clock is still dead and trip meter resets to 0 each time i switch off the engine

Mobike - I had a similar problem with my Verna and the trip meter was resetting to zero and ice settings gone. Laxmi couldn't fix the problem and advised me to change the battery... later i fixed the problem by replacing the cut out and wiring of 130/100 bulbs to OEM headlight bulbs
wads78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2009, 22:45   #69
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
As mentioned, checked all fuses, removed the wires from the battery terminal and re-fixed it back tightly. But ICE,clock is still dead and trip meter resets to 0 each time i switch off the engine

Rishi, you got the solution as above. Hope its the rear glass is what you meant that makes noise
[quote=wads78;1334750]
Quote:

Mobike - I had a similar problem with my Verna and the trip meter was resetting to zero and ice settings gone. Laxmi couldn't fix the problem and advised me to change the battery... later i fixed the problem by replacing the cut out and wiring of 130/100 bulbs to OEM headlight bulbs
That would mean that heavy electricals are not letting battery to get charged properly. Changing to OEM would have made the the current consumption back to standard thereby fixing the problem.

@ Mobike: Please check the gravity of your battery. If it is fuly charged it should be 1.26. Anything lesser means that battery is not charged fully. Suggest you check this cell wise.
MileCruncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2009, 11:38   #70
Team-BHP Support

[quote=wads78;1334750]
Quote:
Wow, thats bad. I wouldnt want to change to OEM bulbs, they suck. Just a few minutes ago gave the car to Lakshmi Hyundai for checking this problem, lets see what they do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
@ Mobike: Please check the gravity of your battery. If it is fuly charged it should be 1.26. Anything lesser means that battery is not charged fully. Suggest you check this cell wise.
Thanks MC, will ask them to check if the battery is fully charged cell-wise
Old 6th July 2009, 15:36   #71
Team-BHP Support

Got my 40K kms ( 41K actually) done on July 4th and since it was a regular service got the following done during this service

1. Oil Change ( Mobil) : Rs.1000
2. Oil Filter : Rs.455
3. Service Charges : Rs.250
4. Interior Shampoo Cleaning : Rs.485
5. Wiper Blades Change : Rs.395
6. Diesel Filter : Rs.992
7. Wheel Alignment and Balance : Free

Total ( Inclusive of taxes) : Rs.3880

I had recently changed the brake pads at 36K kms and still haven't change the transmission oil, maybe during the next service. Ride has become so smooth, i get a feeling, have they changed the engine to a petrol one

I am all set without any expenses ( hopefully) for the next 7K-8K kms.
mobike008 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2009, 20:19   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Got my 40K kms ( 41K actually) done on July 4th and since it was a regular service got the following done during this service

1. Oil Change ( Mobil) : Rs.1000
2. Oil Filter : Rs.455
3. Service Charges : Rs.250
4. Interior Shampoo Cleaning : Rs.485
5. Wiper Blades Change : Rs.395
6. Diesel Filter : Rs.992
7. Wheel Alignment and Balance : Free

Total ( Inclusive of taxes) : Rs.3880
wheel Alignment and balancing free !! You've got one very user friendly service centre for hyundai in Hyd.

By the way, how is your vehicle's handling at high speeds ( 130-140 kph). My steering gets very light..doesnt give much confidence to push..even though the engine begs to be pushed further

You've got one of the best lookiing and well maintained Viva CRDi's. Keep it up..
badri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2009, 22:06   #73
Senior - BHPian

[quote=mobike008;1335077]
Quote:
Originally Posted by wads78 View Post

Wow, thats bad. I wouldnt want to change to OEM bulbs, they suck. Just a few minutes ago gave the car to Lakshmi Hyundai for checking this problem, lets see what they do.

Hey Avi, try the Philips Extreme power bulbs or if not available the Osram Night Breakers. They are as good as 130, 120, 100 etc and the best part is they are stock wattage! I put them on the Palio and the difference in lighting over stock is as good as higher wattage bulbs without the problems caused by higher wattage bulbs.

Your electrical problem could also be caused by an erratic earthing wire. Have the battery connection to the body checked - open - sand and fit back.

Hope the Red Beast is purring along as smoothly as before soon.

Cheers,
Ravveendrra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2009, 16:32   #74
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by badri View Post
wheel Alignment and balancing free !! You've got one very user friendly service centre for hyundai in Hyd.

By the way, how is your vehicle's handling at high speeds ( 130-140 kph). My steering gets very light..doesnt give much confidence to push..even though the engine begs to be pushed further

You've got one of the best lookiing and well maintained Viva CRDi's. Keep it up..
Thanks for your compliments. I do take that extra care.

After tyre change to michelin 195 section the handling has improved phenomenally and is stable until 150kmph and above, no problems. Previously, i used to get scared to take a sweeping turn at 80kmph now i do that over 100kmph without an issue. So tyre change to a bigger one is mandatory

Last year, i got Tata AIG insurance and they have this offer

First service- No Labour Charges
Second Service-50% off on Labour and 2 Wheel Alignment and balance free
2 Body washes free
1 Body wax and polish free in a year

So i am making good use of that offer with the service center

[quote=Ravveendrra;1376253]
Quote:

Hey Avi, try the Philips Extreme power bulbs or if not available the Osram Night Breakers. They are as good as 130, 120, 100 etc and the best part is they are stock wattage! I put them on the Palio and the difference in lighting over stock is as good as higher wattage bulbs without the problems caused by higher wattage bulbs.

Your electrical problem could also be caused by an erratic earthing wire. Have the battery connection to the body checked - open - sand and fit back.

Hope the Red Beast is purring along as smoothly as before soon.

Cheers,
Ravvs, if you note that problem occured last month and as mentioned it comes once a year and vanishes on its own within a few days. This is the second time it came and got rectified on its own.

And, with regards to the car running smoothly, the service folks changed the engine to a petrol one, so it is purring like crazy

Last edited by mobike008 : 9th July 2009 at 16:35.
mobike008 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2009, 18:41   #75
Senior - BHPian

Default Seasonal?

Quote:

Ravvs, if you note that problem occured last month and as mentioned it comes once a year and vanishes on its own within a few days. This is the second time it came and got rectified on its own.

And, with regards to the car running smoothly, the service folks changed the engine to a petrol one, so it is purring like crazy
Did it occour in the same season? Peak summer? or, at the onset of the monsoon?

If it is peak summer, it is probably a switch or relay. If it is at the onset of monsoon it could be the above or a faulty connection that is collecting dust and grime. These electrical niggles are a bugger to detect but once found - simple to rectify.

Just FYI, since the 'Red un' now has a petrol mill, you might want to feed it 97 octane (available for Rs.69/- per litre).

Cheers,

Note to Hydeez:

Watch out, there is a new contagious disease in town called Petrodieselitis which hampers the patient's ability to distinguish between Diesel & petrol engines.
Ravveendrra is offline   Reply With Quote