Default Re: Suzuki Grand Vitara: 2,32,000 kms & 7 years ownership

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
Fabric cover???? Where?

Rear wheel over is plastic.
Quote:
Simpler solution that I adopted once I used upsized tyre.....removed the cover
This just gave me an idea. When I get the elastic + fabric done up, I'll can compensate for a 235(v/s OEM 225) so I can keep the cover...
Thanks for the idea.

Another problem also cropped up. My front mudguards are not a couple. Missing that one from the drivers side. (Photos below). Any idea where I can procure this part from in Gurgaon or elsewhere?

Name:  mudguard 1.jpg
Views: 1848
Size:  24.5 KB

Name:  wituout mudguard.jpg
Views: 1839
Size:  32.7 KB
dumdumdigadiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2014, 18:17   #362
Distinguished - BHPian

Try SX4 flaps.....If I remember correctly they fit
sudev is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2014, 23:20   #363
Senior - BHPian

The SX4 flap L shape matches the fender bend , but the holes don't match. So these cannot be used unless one uses wood screws to fit them on.

You could use Sumo flaps(the ones without holes) ; each flap is so big that one can bend the flap in two and use the two halves , one on each fender.

So two flaps would make 4 good enough for the Vitara.

Sudevji,

I am adding my 2 cents (underlined) based on my 2 months of ownership of a GV.

I got an air filter 45 days after placing an order with the local MGP Distributor.What a shame !!!

The Oil filter was available off the shelf.

Quote:
Decompiling your list with comments:

Engine oil : Why stockpile? Use a good 5W-40 or 10W-50 synthetic
Engine oil filter : Have not had problem in getting this. I think it is a standard the SX4 Oil filter fits the 2.0 GV
Coolant : Why stockpile? MGP coolant can be used
Brake disc : Original disc still running
Brake pads : Five or six changes of front and about half of that in rear
Brake drums : Still running original
Brake shoes : See brake pads above
Spark Plugs : Easily available. Why stockpile? NGK BKR6E is easily available . Buy them and set the gap to 1.1mm

Air cleaner filter element : I think it is common with SX4 The air filter is an SGP import - costs Rs.853

Engine Accessory drive belt (V Rib belt) : If you stick pile then you need to ensure that this does not become brittle. Store with care
Automatic Transmission fluid / Power Steering fluid : AFAIK this is common

Last edited by Samurai : 24th November 2014 at 23:31.
vigsom is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2014, 23:37   #364
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigsom View Post
I got an air filter 45 days after placing an order with the local MGP Distributor.What a shame !!!
My Air filter is always off the shelf. Can you compare the part number of the air filter from your invoice to my invoice in this post.
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2014, 18:23   #365
Senior - BHPian

Samurai the part no. In your invoice is the cabin air filter while the engine air filter is
13780-65J00.

My cabin air filter was full of muck -cleaned it thoroughly and now it is good.
vigsom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2014, 18:39   #366
Team-BHP Support

Oh, I was wondering why the cost was that high. It was replaced once, otherwise I have it cleaned it at every service.
Old 4th December 2014, 03:17   #367

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigsom View Post
The SX4 flap L shape matches the fender bend , but the holes don't match. So these cannot be used unless one uses wood screws to fit them on.

You could use Sumo flaps(the ones without holes) ; each flap is so big that one can bend the flap in two and use the two halves , one on each fender.

So two flaps would make 4 good enough for the Vitara.

Sudevji,

I am adding my 2 cents (underlined) based on my 2 months of ownership of a GV.

The Oil filter was available off the shelf.
Thanks for the info on the mud flaps. I'm off to a 9 day drive in search of snow this winter(GGN->Champawat->Mount Abbott->Munsyari->Chaukori->Ranikhet->GGN.

As per the gurus, Other than a tow rope and Jumper Cables, what are the primary accessories I would need to carry for the GV?
Any idea where I can get a good tow rope and Jumper Cables in India.
Any other things I need to keep in mind.
Old 4th December 2014, 06:02   #368
Distinguished - BHPian

Get a tow strap ( or even better - two ) with two D shackles. Easy to keep and more useful that rope which tend to slip or break. Ask NIOC or Off roader groups in Delhi.

Watch out for black ice patches while driving - especially during early mornings.
sudev is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2014, 16:16   #369
BHPian

Since the time I have bought my GV, I always wanted to ask about the capabilities of the factory fitted ice system. My question is - does it have an Aux in option or is there any way to add Aux in capability? I can always take it to an installer and let them have a look, however I just want to make sure before letting them open up the entire system to look inside. Will be grateful if more experienced / knowledgeable owners can throw some light on this.
rattanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2014, 17:52   #370
Distinguished - BHPian

No aux...get it opened and get a hack done. Original ICE is good with boom box below front passenger seat
sudev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2014, 19:02   #371
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rattanw View Post
Since the time I have bought my GV, I always wanted to ask about the capabilities of the factory fitted ice system. My question is - does it have an Aux in option or is there any way to add Aux in capability? .
The most cost effective solution here would be to pair a good FM modulator with the HU and use a USB drive.
vigsom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2014, 12:35   #372

Quote:
Get a tow strap ( or even better - two ) with two D shackles. Easy to keep and more useful that rope which tend to slip or break. Ask NIOC or Off roader groups in Delhi.

Watch out for black ice patches while driving - especially during early mornings.
Thanks Sudevji. Is there anything else I need to carry like, fuses, or something very particular to the grand vitara? For example, I always carry my chain links for my bullet as they are not available everywhere or my clutch cable as I have an extended long ride handle?

Your advice is appreciated.
Old 8th December 2014, 14:29   #373
Distinguished - BHPian

"Nada"

Fuses etc are common with other MSIL vehicles and in any case rarely the blow. And if something beyond that does go wrong then it would need A S S care. Rare if.
sudev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2014, 01:36   #374
BHPian

I have a small, well I hope it's small, situation that I need help with. This evening when I returned home after work I noticed that the cabin light of our Vitara is lit . I immediately got the key and turned off the light, seemingly left lit by the car wash man who comes in the morning basically implying that the light was lit entire day. I did try to start the car to see if battery is not dead. Well the car didn't start. All the lights on the instrument cluster come on as normal and the engine cranks once I turn the key, except it doesn't start. I tried thrice each time after a gap of more than 1 minute, and each time cranked the engine for not more than 3 - 5 seconds. Normally it starts within 1 - 2 seconds and I haven't ever noticed any problems until today. Fearful that excessive cranking or repeated tries may cause damage, I left it after three tries. I am planning to call Maruti on road service guys tomorrow morning. Any valuable insights, advice or suggestion about what may have happened here are more than welcome.
rattanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2014, 07:15   #375
Team-BHP Support

Your battery is drained. Get a jump start using jumper cables. That is the first thing to try.