Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 16th July 2008, 08:55   #46
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shantyrocks View Post
my mechanic once told me that there is a way to find out whether the odo has been tampered or not.if it has been tampered than the speedo meter pointer doesnt move smoothly while accelerating or decelerating.it shivers and vibrates a bit.dunno how far its true.any one know anything abt it?
Most of today's speedo isnt analog (meaning, they dont transmit thru a rotary shaft from the wheels) but digital (use data from an encoder coupled to the wheels), so not sure of this statement!
AirWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2008, 19:52   #47
Senior - BHPian

Update:
Completed 1000 kms yesterday with a trip to and fro Mahabaleshwar.
It also returned a good mileage for the 250 kms trip. 12.50Km/Litre with 5 healthy people on board. What more should I expect from it
But on reaching back to Pune, the left tyre went in a big hole while parking on the side of the road, and while taking reverse, the left bottom scraped. Checked today morning but no damage visible.

No problems encountered so far.

But, what i noticed after driving the car for the last 20-25 days is that my right knee starts paining if I drive for more than 20-30 min. This is mainly because I am a Tall person and I realised that the drivers seat does not have a good Thigh Support. I previously owned a Santro and my right knee used to easily rest on the side door while I operate the Accellerator & the brake. But this is not possbile on Palio. Any Fellow BHPians who faced this problem? How do rectify this problem?

Another worry are the brakes. How do I improve them? The stock ones are not so effective at high speeds.
vinit.merchant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2008, 09:29   #48
BHPian

I am tall and I have this problem too. Earlier when i had a 800 and the 118 NE, during long drives I used stop then stretch my legs then start again, In the NE I could stretch my leg, this can be done on the move when u notice a long stretch with no traffic in front, you could take your leg of the throttle , place it under the space below the brake pedal and stretch your leg to get some temporary relief, only solution aginst frequent breaks. This problem has reduced since i bought palio. cheers
bbops1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2008, 10:32   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinit.merchant View Post
Update:
Completed 1000 kms yesterday with a trip to and fro Mahabaleshwar.
It also returned a good mileage for the 250 kms trip. 12.50Km/Litre with 5 healthy people on board. What more should I expect from it
But on reaching back to Pune, the left tyre went in a big hole while parking on the side of the road, and while taking reverse, the left bottom scraped. Checked today morning but no damage visible.

No problems encountered so far.

But, what i noticed after driving the car for the last 20-25 days is that my right knee starts paining if I drive for more than 20-30 min. This is mainly because I am a Tall person and I realised that the drivers seat does not have a good Thigh Support. I previously owned a Santro and my right knee used to easily rest on the side door while I operate the Accellerator & the brake. But this is not possbile on Palio. Any Fellow BHPians who faced this problem? How do rectify this problem?

Another worry are the brakes. How do I improve them? The stock ones are not so effective at high speeds.
I had the same problem with my right leg fatigue on a long trip. I had to put a small pillow between my right knee and the door. That helped a bit.

Yes the stock brakes are not effective at high speeds. I am researching if it is possible to install Adventure brake discs & calipers on the front. The Adventure has larger discs and calipers, so hopefully this may make a big improvement.

I have also looked at EBC pads for the front discs. Unfortunately, there is no listing for Palios. There are a large number of Fiat cars listed with EBC, and I think that the Palio should match up to one of the other Fiat cars, but I just don't know which one.
RedMM340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2008, 15:18   #50
GTO
Team-BHP Support

RedMM, after driving the CJ340, you have a problem with the right knee? Man, any car feels like an S-Class if driven right after the CJ. The drivers seat is just to darn cramped. In the recent years, I had the drivers seat altered to give me a much needed 2 inches of extra room.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2008, 15:22   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Update:

Push the seat back more and try sitting more upright if its too far behind. I find it takes quite a while to adjust the seat properly but when its done there is perfect thigh support and seating position is hardly fatiguing either. Last weekend I drove about 1400 kms over 4 days with no aches of any sort
bottle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2008, 15:57   #52
Senior - BHPian

Well, now, after completing 2.5 months and about 3500 kms, the car has given its first big problem. Alternator is gone.
Went to Pandit Auto in Pune who suggested car be kept with them as it will take a week for the alternator to get repaired and repairing cost would come close to 8k. The cost of new alternator is 18k and is not in stock. Also, the alternator will be sent to Denso, Kurla (Mumbai) for the repairs.

I had no option but to leave the car with them. Because when the battery light blinked inside, i checked the water level in the Battery and it was totally dry so replaced the battery with a new one, Bosch DIN - 44 AH. Even that cost a lot. 5.6k less 900 for the old battery.

On inquiring, he said that the alternator for all palios starts giving issues after 4-5 years.

Last edited by vinit.merchant : 22nd September 2008 at 15:59.
Old 22nd September 2008, 17:01   #53
Senior - BHPian

Has any Palio owner on T-Bhp faced this issue? how much did it cost?
Old 24th September 2008, 11:46   #54
BHPian

Wink Try the Palio Group!

Quote:
Has any Palio owner on T-Bhp faced this issue? how much did it cost?

Maybe you can try you query on the PalioUsersIndia : PalioUsersIndia group.

Since it is very Palio Specific, you may come across more user user experiences there.

No need to post the entire query there. Just a few key points and links to your problem here.
Glifford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2008, 18:27   #55
Senior - BHPian

Update: Alternator Issue
There were a few options in the after market, i.e. TVS Lucas - 105 Amp (recommended for 1.6 gtx is 90 Amp).
Another option was to get the thing repaired. The estimate for repair came to 6.5k.

Decision: Wont fit 105 amp as you never know what troubles it might create.
Repairing was out of question as the cost of repairs was not worth when compared with the cost of new alternator.

Asked the workshop guy to replace a new one, as recommended by Fiat. It took 3 days for the alternator to reach the workshop.
Went and inspected the new one yesteday. Bosch, Made in Spain. Told them to fit it. Got the car back today afternoon.

It took in all 2 weeks to get the car back. Was a wonderful experience to get back to the steering wheel of the car. Just that it was a little costly . The total of the invoice came to 13k, which included the servicing cost of 850, Labor for alternator assembly 650 and Alternator 10.8k.

In the end, i am happy to have my car back.

Last edited by vinit.merchant : 1st October 2008 at 18:35.
Old 3rd October 2008, 12:07   #56
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Vinit.

are you facing any other issues? how is the suspension working? any rattles?

wish you many happy miles with your GTX
planet_rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2008, 13:56   #57
Senior - BHPian

glad to see your car up and running. my 1.6 had alternator issues within the first year :@
Old 3rd October 2008, 21:36   #58
Senior - BHPian

Well, just when it seems that the car is up and running well, there comes up another issue.
I took the car on Wednesday afternoon and in the night i heard a continous screeching noise coming from the front. Called up Pandit in the morning about this and he said that they keep the belt a little loose when it is new. He advised me to drive it the same way for couple of days and then they shall get the belt tightened.

Thursday, as usual, reached office at 3:00 pm. No issues, just the noise.
At 12:30 when i left, the two guards at the parking exit told me there is some noise coming which indicates that the belt is loose. I stopped and found that there was a different kind of noise coming from teh front, like the belt hitting some hard surface.
Revved a little, and slowly the noise disappeared. So just ignored it and started driving. I could have hardly done anything anyways.
Just as i cross 2 kms, in the fourth gear and the accelerator slightly pressed, suddenly i feel that the accelerator sound is not cominng and the car is slowing down.
Pressed the accelerator hard but no revving sound. slowly took the car on the side of the road. Thankfully it dint stall till then or else would have been quite a task to turn the P/S. As soon as i slowed down on the edge, engine stalled.

Tried starting it 4-5 times, no luck. Dint know what to do. The entire lane was empty, no ricks, nothing. Just a few drunkards coming out of nearby Dhaba.
Immediately called up my frined in office and told him to provide me the 24 hours helpline.
The real frustrations starts here. He gave me two numbers. A Toll free and a mobile number of Pandit Auto (claimed to be 24 hrs helpline).
First I tried calling the Pandit Auto number. It ringed. And then the call was cut. I tried again. It again ringed and was again cut. I try the other toll free number. There was noone to pick up the phone. It was on answering maching and I was asked to leave my name, region and phone number and they will call me ASAP (thats what the answering maching answered). Then it started giving breakdown numbers for Calcutta, Mumbai, Delhi & Banglore. Thats it. No Number for Pune.
I again tried to call the Pandit Auto Mobile number, and it answered 'The mobile you are trying to reach is Switched Off'. Fantastic. Its already 1:30 am. Now what am i supposed to do in the middle of the night on an empty road.
I called up the toll free again, took the Mumbai Breakdown service number and asked him to provide me 24 hrs service numbers for Pune. He gives me two numbers. Again, both were ringing but none was answered.
I went mad. Clueless. I tried to check the Belt myself. There was no scope to check it from the Bonnet in the night on a road with no street lights.
I removed the front right tyre to see if I can access it from there. No luck.
Cranked couple more times. Dint start.

Gave up. Slept in the car so that I can take it straight to the workshop next day (hoping that someone would answer their helpline in morning). Was almost in sleep and i hear a knock on my window. It was 3:00 am. I see two policemen. Hmmm.
Told them the issue and showed them my license and papers.
Once they left, I decided I cant sleep here. Called up a friend to drop me home (who took his time to come as his shift was to get over at 6:00). Tried cranking the last time before leaving the car. Dint start Though I reached home at 4:45. Took a quick nap and morning called up the Pandit Auto and told this issue.

They sent the Helpline vehicle at 12:30 pm. He tried to start 4-5 times. No luck. Sixth try, he gave full accelerator and cranked for a longer time. It started. What the Hell!
Went straight to workshop and told him to fix the loose belt immediately and check why the car stalled. They fixed their computer to the ECU. No Erorr. Again, What the Hell.
I asked the manager there why was the 24 hour service number cut twice and then switched off. As expected, there aint any answer to that. Thankfully I was alone and not with my family.
They took an hour to tighten the belt. Took a test. The screeching sound had disappeared. Brought back the car. Am still unsure what made the car to stall. Could it be moisture on the belt ? As it is, it was loose. Moisture on it would have made it slip. ?

Heard a lot about bad FIAT A.S.S. I only experienced it today morning at 1:00.

By the way, there still no call back from the all India toll free number.

Last edited by vinit.merchant : 3rd October 2008 at 21:41.
vinit.merchant is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2008, 21:39   #59
Senior - BHPian

**** thats super scary. i was in a similar situation once but that was in the afternoon but you still feel frustrated at their care free attitude. previously i had signed up for breakdown service by TVS (only in TN) but havent renewed my subscription
Old 3rd October 2008, 22:36   #60
Senior - BHPian

Another update. Just came back from Dinner. And the Screeching sound continues.
Am Clueless.