Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 2nd February 2010, 13:59   #31
BHPian
 
kri$hna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Bhagyanagarabad
Posts: 230
Thanked: 29 Times
Default

Thats a neat review there !! I love the "saas bahu" part of it

My palio is now 53K old, and still everyday it garners my attention when i reach home from office... It just refuses to age, looks as good as any other car now on sale!!

So what was the problem with LPG ? Why did you have to remove it ? I am curious because, even I have bought the palio with LPG, and I am now making it closed loop by adding a lambda system. Is it good to do that or shall i do away with the entire Lpg system itself?

I agree with you on A drives.. those are the best shoes a palio can get in economy budget. I run my palio on Yoko A Drive 185/60 14inch alloys, and looks like a killer, handles like a knife !! At 120kmph, its so stable and silent that all the co-passengers sleep, while i am immersed in the 4 wheeled nirvana

plz answer my questions on lpg with ur palio buddy
kri$hna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2010, 14:41   #32
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 334
Thanked: 18 Times
Default

Iceman,

Thats a nice and honest Review of 50K kms. Nice to see that you have switched to Petrol from LPG. Am using LPG in my palio but the kit is a sequential injection kit which costed around 55K when I installed it around 2 years back. The car has run 25K since then and runs like a dream. I believe it is worth spending money on the kit(which can be retained for the next car too if you want to!!) than spending money on repairs on normal openloop or closed loop kits
ravikn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2010, 12:28   #33
BHPian
 
iceman7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 705
Thanked: 257 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kri$hna View Post
Thats a neat review there !! I love the "saas bahu" part of it

My palio is now 53K old, and still everyday it garners my attention when i reach home from office... It just refuses to age, looks as good as any other car now on sale!!

So what was the problem with LPG ? Why did you have to remove it ? I am curious because, even I have bought the palio with LPG, and I am now making it closed loop by adding a lambda system. Is it good to do that or shall i do away with the entire Lpg system itself?

I agree with you on A drives.. those are the best shoes a palio can get in economy budget. I run my palio on Yoko A Drive 185/60 14inch alloys, and looks like a killer, handles like a knife !! At 120kmph, its so stable and silent that all the co-passengers sleep, while i am immersed in the 4 wheeled nirvana

plz answer my questions on lpg with ur palio buddy
Thanks Kri$hna. I think the problem with my LPG kit occurred because of a faulty switch installation. It worked fine for 20k kms, then just stopped working. Though the LPG kit is in fine working condition, the switch and some wiring needs replacement.

While I am no expert on technicalities of the LPG system, it has been my general observation that the LPG kits work better on Japanese cars. One of my friends Lancer crossed 100,000 kms and had a LPG kit in it. We must have used the LPG kit for over 40,000 kms in that car.

Another friend of mine had a LPG kit in the Optra and it went bust. There are many other examples I have seen to substantiate this.

I'd not recommend you to remove the LPG kit if it's working fine. I am sure its quite an investment to make; so reap the benefits while it lasts. If you are planning to get the Lambda kit installed, make sure its a pretty good mechanic that does the installation. I hear the Lambda thingie is quite tricky.

Let us know how it goes.
iceman7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2010, 12:54   #34
BHPian
 
vrprabhu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Poona
Posts: 859
Thanked: 351 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kri$hna View Post
At 120kmph, its so stable and silent that all the co-passengers sleep, while i am immersed in the 4 wheeled nirvana
Now, that's crux of the matter - which I keep experiencing time and again! Don't know what lullaby the car sings, but most passengers are in dreamland on long drives!! Once in a while some one wakes up and eyes the speedo at 120 ~ 140, warns me to slow down and goes back to sleep!

Iceman, this thread ranks at the very top on defining about owning "a car" and "the car"
vrprabhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2010, 08:59   #35
BHPian
 
kri$hna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Bhagyanagarabad
Posts: 230
Thanked: 29 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrprabhu View Post
Now, that's crux of the matter - which I keep experiencing time and again! Don't know what lullaby the car sings, but most passengers are in dreamland on long drives!! Once in a while some one wakes up and eyes the speedo at 120 ~ 140, warns me to slow down and goes back to sleep!

Iceman, this thread ranks at the very top on defining about owning "a car" and "the car"
True... I have experienced it quite a few times, the best thing was when I started driving down from ooty via gudalur, and it took be about 45 mins to cover 68kms stretch of curves & ghats !! that defines how a palio handles, period... even optra, innova cudnt match up to me .. all this while i had 4 guys sleeping after lunch not knowing what i m upto

@iceman: I have bought the lambda control system from www.sharonautogas.com, based out in hyd. They had shipped the courier to me in blr. I was charged 1400/- for the lambda system, which is not lovato/zavoli/brc.. I guess it is his own manufactured product, and he has given me 1 yr unconditional warranty! I thought the functionality is same as any other control system and its all electronics anyway.. so took this coz i didnt want to invest on a lovato/zavoli stuff for 7k, and tht without warranty !
Will get it installed from a person here in blr, who has been tuning my car regularly, well my palio has this wierd habit of losing its gas tuning every 1-2 months.. thus i make frequent visits to the tuner, and results in inconsistent mileage everytime ! I hope lambda solves this problem forever now. If you have any inputs for me, plz do share

Last edited by kri$hna : 4th February 2010 at 09:05.
kri$hna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2010, 09:28   #36
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Pune
Posts: 532
Thanked: 198 Times
Default

Wow! 50K done and there people who have crossed 80K and still the car runs like new!

My car is some 48K old and it is just as new as the one in showroom. Each day I come back from office and see it in the garage and go bonkers about it! (Wish my company did not provide transportation facilities!!!)

Apart from a few niggles, Palio is undoubtedly the best hatch around. Have tried my hands on bigger cars like the Sonata, Sierra, and Mobile, but nothing seriously compares to Palio! Just love it!!

Edit:- Wanted to add a pic of my car, did not find any option for that. It is asking for a HTTP location. :(

Last edited by ObsessedByFIAT : 4th February 2010 at 09:44.
ObsessedByFIAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2010, 02:08   #37
BHPian
 
Grafin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 218
Thanked: 2 Times
Default

A well written and informative review.


Im a proud owner of an '02 Palio 1.2ELX(pre NV).

Picked it up from my friend last year and its clocked almost 31000lms now.

A great car and handing is spot on perfect.

Cheers to all the Palio owners/Fans here.

Lets prove that a maruti is not the only reliable car the Indian market has.
Grafin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2010, 14:30   #38
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: delhi/milan/brussels
Posts: 42
Thanked: Once
Default

well maintained car.

a question:

I own palio 1.9D march 2007 registered. Its about to clock 50k kms. still runs like new and I am in love with it like all other palio lovers here.
I would now like to upgrade my stock good years. They are in good running conditions but their manufacturing date is march 2006, so i guess its time to change.
What do the other palio guys suggest, which ones are good and how much will be the damage for all 4.
How are yokos, michelin or bridgestones?

thanks in advance
garychopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2010, 10:21   #39
BHPian
 
kri$hna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Bhagyanagarabad
Posts: 230
Thanked: 29 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grafin View Post
A well written and informative review.


Im a proud owner of an '02 Palio 1.2ELX(pre NV).

Picked it up from my friend last year and its clocked almost 31000lms now.

A great car and handing is spot on perfect.

Cheers to all the Palio owners/Fans here.

Lets prove that a maruti is not the only reliable car the Indian market has.
LOL.. maruti sells on one point, After Sales Service & Huge Network of service centers!

I havent seen an exciting car as fun to drive as a baleno. There ends the competition!

even my palio is 02, preNV ! Great going even today

Quote:
Originally Posted by garychopper View Post
well maintained car.

a question:

I own palio 1.9D march 2007 registered. Its about to clock 50k kms. still runs like new and I am in love with it like all other palio lovers here.
I would now like to upgrade my stock good years. They are in good running conditions but their manufacturing date is march 2006, so i guess its time to change.
What do the other palio guys suggest, which ones are good and how much will be the damage for all 4.
How are yokos, michelin or bridgestones?

thanks in advance
well, the choice depends upon your requirements out of the tire !
I have Yoko A Drives (upsized to 185/60, r 14). I guess you can get stock sizes also in yoko A Drives. One thing i notice in A Drives is much lesser road noise, like they advertise, it is really a silent drive. A Drives are also very good in the wet roads & cornering. BANG FOR THE BUCK i would say.

Michelin XM1s are also good, but i havent had any personal experience. My next buy would also be yokos only. I am pretty satisfied with those on my palio.

avoid bridgestones if you like a silent cabin when cruising on highways or negotiating bad roads.

damage for 5 new tires in 2009, was abt 12k for me. expect more or less the same price ( I nailed the deal taking recession as an advantage)
kri$hna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2010, 12:16   #40
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: delhi/milan/brussels
Posts: 42
Thanked: Once
Default

@krishna.

Gracias amigo.

I am also more inclined towards yokos, i guess they are going to be my palio's next shoes.
garychopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2010, 11:42   #41
BHPian
 
kri$hna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Bhagyanagarabad
Posts: 230
Thanked: 29 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by garychopper View Post
@krishna.

Gracias amigo.

I am also more inclined towards yokos, i guess they are going to be my palio's next shoes.
great decision, u wont regret buying A Drives and especially for palio!

do you hav alloys or steel rims ?? May be if budget permits, upgrade to a good set of alloys also, which can give your palio a nice look
kri$hna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2010, 21:07   #42
BHPian
 
Grafin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 218
Thanked: 2 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kri$hna View Post
LOL.. maruti sells on one point, After Sales Service & Huge Network of service centers!

I havent seen an exciting car as fun to drive as a baleno. There ends the competition!

even my palio is 02, preNV ! Great going even today

I prefer the OHC Vtec rather than the baleno.

When i said reliable, i meant lesser trouble and money spent to upkeep the car.

I would also like to know if my speedo, trip has to be recalibrated since i have an '02 model.
A few Bhpians have mentioned that the initial Palios had speedo meters that dint show the distance covered accurately.
Grafin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2012, 17:42   #43
BHPian
 
iceman7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 705
Thanked: 257 Times
Default Farewell to the Palio. A small tribute.

Boys will be boys. The only thing that changes is the price of their toys!!

The Palio is now sold (a few months back to be precise). It's place taken up by an elder sibling from the Fiat stable. This post is part review and part tribute to the Palio. My first car.

The journey from 50k to 55k was a rather slow one. Primarily because fuel now costs a million bucks a litre. Add to this, nearly all my friends had Diesel cars and all our road trips were done in the oil burners. In the city I had limited mileage since my office is only 4 kms away (one way). While the Palio was working fine functionally, it did run into a few hiccups here and there - read as A blown clutch. But that apart, everything else worked just fine. I had relatively new tires, the AC was still a chiller, suspension was good, and it drove fine. In hindsight I'll say this - it tread over everything I put it over. Without a fuss. Road or no road, speed bump or a mountain in the middle of the road, it just pottered around happily as if it didn't care. Why do I say this? Well just wait for my review on the GC of the sibling that replaced it. All in all, everything was hunky dory. Life was EMI free for a few years now and I was enjoying it. But...

The Palio was aging gracefully. The tug for a new car was growing stronger. To make matters worse, I was reluctant to let go of the Palio. I swore to drive it till the last nut would fall apart. It was my first car afterall. With my own money. This is thing about first cars. Joy to buy but gutwrenching to let go off.

The Palio and its elder sibling co-existed for a few months. Then practicality dawned. I had no use for 2 cars. Initially I thought I would hand down the car to the Wife. She could sharpen her driving skills with it and then keep it for her. I learnt the hard way that this is not how things work. The wife wants a new NANO. Sunshine Orange Nano. Back to square one then. I had to find a new home for the Palio. I was clear that the Palio had to go to someone who I knew would take care of it. And a solution was found. My brother in law has an auto accessories shop primarily dealing with ICE. He was on a look out for a car to convert into a Demo Car. That did it. I agreed in an instant and the Palio had a new home.

So the important question then - Do I miss the Palio? At times, yes. Times when I wish I had something smaller to drive in the city. Something that I could take over speed bumps without any inhibitions. But then when I go to tank up, I see the million buck a litre cost of petrol and get the reassurance that the Diesel sibling was a better option. Case in point - I have clocked over 18500 kms in the new car in around 11 months already.

To conclude then - This one's for a car that may well have been ahead of it's times. One with hundreds of die hard fan boys.

Ladies & Gentlemen, The Fiat Palio!!
iceman7 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2012, 18:50   #44
BHPian
 
iceman7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 705
Thanked: 257 Times
Default Old and New - The Fiat Siblings

Old and New - The Fiat Siblings.
Attached Thumbnails
Palio 1.2 ELX: 55,000 kms review - Now Sold, A tribute to the Palio-05062011778.jpg  

iceman7 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2012, 21:24   #45
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 28
Thanked: 3 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman7
Boys will be boys. The only thing that changes is the price of their toys!!

The Palio is now sold (a few months back to be precise). It's place taken up by an elder sibling from the Fiat stable. This post is part review and part tribute to the Palio. My first car.

The journey from 50k to 55k was a rather slow one. Primarily because fuel now costs a million bucks a litre. Add to this, nearly all my friends had Diesel cars and all our road trips were done in the oil burners. In the city I had limited mileage since my office is only 4 kms away (one way). While the Palio was working fine functionally, it did run into a few hiccups here and there - read as A blown clutch. But that apart, everything else worked just fine. I had relatively new tires, the AC was still a chiller, suspension was good, and it drove fine. In hindsight I'll say this - it tread over everything I put it over. Without a fuss. Road or no road, speed bump or a mountain in the middle of the road, it just pottered around happily as if it didn't care. Why do I say this? Well just wait for my review on the GC of the sibling that replaced it. All in all, everything was hunky dory. Life was EMI free for a few years now and I was enjoying it. But...

The Palio was aging gracefully. The tug for a new car was growing stronger. To make matters worse, I was reluctant to let go of the Palio. I swore to drive it till the last nut would fall apart. It was my first car afterall. With my own money. This is thing about first cars. Joy to buy but gutwrenching to let go off.

The Palio and its elder sibling co-existed for a few months. Then practicality dawned. I had no use for 2 cars. Initially I thought I would hand down the car to the Wife. She could sharpen her driving skills with it and then keep it for her. I learnt the hard way that this is not how things work. The wife wants a new NANO. Sunshine Orange Nano. Back to square one then. I had to find a new home for the Palio. I was clear that the Palio had to go to someone who I knew would take care of it. And a solution was found. My brother in law has an auto accessories shop primarily dealing with ICE. He was on a look out for a car to convert into a Demo Car. That did it. I agreed in an instant and the Palio had a new home.

So the important question then - Do I miss the Palio? At times, yes. Times when I wish I had something smaller to drive in the city. Something that I could take over speed bumps without any inhibitions. But then when I go to tank up, I see the million buck a litre cost of petrol and get the reassurance that the Diesel sibling was a better option. Case in point - I have clocked over 18500 kms in the new car in around 11 months already.

To conclude then - This one's for a car that may well have been ahead of it's times. One with hundreds of die hard fan boys.

Ladies & Gentlemen, The Fiat Palio!!
@iceman7 I am right now in exact same state as you have described above . I am a proud owner of June 2002 1.2 Palio which has clocked 120000 km and is still going strong. Due to family pressure I am picking up a diesel vento and trying to find a second home for my first love I don't want to hand it over to a used car dealer and looking for some fiat lover to take care of it now .
icecoolsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
A tribute to a 98 M800 – My ‘First Love’ at 1, 15,000 kms. Maverick79 Long-Term Ownership Reviews 18 17th October 2017 15:58
Got my red hot hatch, Fiat Palio Stile 1.6 Sport. EDIT: Now sold at 48,000 kms Rahulkool Long-Term Ownership Reviews 215 4th April 2016 10:56
10,000 kms review of the legendary Royal Enfield STD 350 (Black). EDIT: Now sold Thar4x4 Motorbikes 36 12th January 2016 16:07
Ford Fiesta 1.4 TDCi Review : 98,000 kms up. EDIT : Now sold! lamborghini Long-Term Ownership Reviews 137 7th January 2013 00:14
2002 Fiat Palio ELX - 80,000 kms. review sumitmitra Long-Term Ownership Reviews 15 6th February 2009 11:22


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 03:05.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks