Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 4th July 2011, 13:27   #1756
Team-BHP Support

Default re: Safari EX 4x4 120000kms update

Yes, its claimable under extended warranty. Normally, they ask to change slave cylinder, and if problem goes away, they do not change master cylinder. I was not charged anything for the same as slave cylinder was covered under extended warranty
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2011, 13:28   #1757
Senior - BHPian

Ha..It had been long. I was just about to ping you for the updates. But its disappointing to see that the White elephant is still "white". So one more year of extended warranty. I presume the Safari will be up in the classifieds after that. What next?
Deeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2011, 14:23   #1758
Senior - BHPian

TSK, thats good going with great spirit. Money spent is worth it since initial buying cost itself is very less compared to other premium SUVs. Safari is prone to such maintenance so well deserve it. After all these you still love your vebhicle and any other
vehicle would have not given such an image and so much of opportunity to discuss.

Have e nice time. Happy motoring.

Ravi.

Last edited by ravibhat : 10th July 2011 at 14:25.
ravibhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2011, 22:21   #1759
Senior - BHPian

Tanveer, I must say that you are one of the most patient customers TML would have ever had, after buying their most expensive product.

No wonder Toyotas and Hondas rule the world.

One all important question, are you thinking of an upgragde/swap, if yes, which vehicles have you zeroed down, if no, why?
n.devdath is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2011, 23:17   #1760
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
Tanveer, I must say that you are one of the most patient customers TML would have ever had, after buying their most expensive product.

No wonder Toyotas and Hondas rule the world.

One all important question, are you thinking of an upgragde/swap, if yes, which vehicles have you zeroed down, if no, why?
The answer to your question lies in another thread, and this is what he says regarding his next upgrade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
I cannot bring myself to walk into a Tata showroom again, because 99% about 2 years from now we will walk into the tata showroom and buy a merlin or something...
PAVAN KADAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2011, 11:17   #1761
BHPian

Tanveer, a few pages back I read about your issue with the TASC regarding the power window switch. I am facing the same problem. In fact, at the moment I am sitting in the customer lounge of the infamous TASC in Shillong trying to tackle the situation. I have owned the 4x4 for just about 10 and a half months and the driver's side power window switch gave up. I am here to get it fixed and am told that it needs replacement and that it is not covered under warranty! I have told them that if a switch gives up on it's own under normal use, without me applying any extra effort, how can they claim that I damaged it on purpose? Spoke with the Regional Manager for our region and am now waiting for him to revert back. I have been told that they will determine if the switch broke due to an "impact" and in such a case, warranty cannot be availed. I don't see how my fingers can be considered as an impact! However, waiting for a response and if I am still made to pay, will take up this issue with the bosses at TML. Shows that TML dealers still go to any lengths to fleece their customers!
SumitB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2011, 11:53   #1762
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumitB View Post
Tanveer, a few pages back I read about your issue with the TASC regarding the power window switch. I am facing the same problem. In fact, at the moment I am sitting in the customer lounge of the infamous TASC in Shillong trying to tackle the situation. I have owned the 4x4 for just about 10 and a half months and the driver's side power window switch gave up. I am here to get it fixed and am told that it needs replacement and that it is not covered under warranty! I have told them that if a switch gives up on it's own under normal use, without me applying any extra effort, how can they claim that I damaged it on purpose? Spoke with the Regional Manager for our region and am now waiting for him to revert back. I have been told that they will determine if the switch broke due to an "impact" and in such a case, warranty cannot be availed. I don't see how my fingers can be considered as an impact! However, waiting for a response and if I am still made to pay, will take up this issue with the bosses at TML. Shows that TML dealers still go to any lengths to fleece their customers!
I too had got the power window switches replaced against EXTENDED warranty and had faced similar problem. However in my case the switches were working, but the indicator light on two of the switches were kaput.

However in my case I had a lot of faith on the personnel of the (then) TASC who had assured me that they would do their best to get it passed and had advised me to get it changed at my cost and after approval, they would adjust the amount in the next service / repair.

I did what they advised and after followup with the TASC for ~ 2 months the amount was passed.

If the case was passed in extended warranty, the same should be passed in normal warranty.
kingshukt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2011, 11:57   #1763
BHPian

In my case, the TASC in Shillong is the villain. They have a monopolistic attitude and try to fleece the customer. However, this matter has now been resolved with the intervention of the Customer Service Manager, TML and the TASC was forced to replace the part under warranty. I am still at the TASC waiting to be informed about the completion of the work.
Old 1st August 2011, 17:48   #1764
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumitB View Post
In my case, the TASC in Shillong is the villain. They have a monopolistic attitude and try to fleece the customer
Sorry to digress this thread further, but you can register a grievance through Tata Motors Customer Support :: Complaint or send an e-mail to customerca​re@tatamoto​rs.com.

TML customer care is quite prompt in reacting to complaints, particularly from Safari owners. More so, because they know that TASC's are the biggest contributors to their tarnished reputation.
cool_dube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2011, 17:51   #1765
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
Sorry to digress this thread further, but you can register a grievance through Tata Motors Customer Support :: Complaint or send an e-mail to customerca​re@tatamoto​rs.com.

TML customer care is quite prompt in reacting to complaints, particularly from Safari owners. More so, because they know that TASC's are the biggest contributors to their tarnished reputation.
This is a misconception! I have registered many a complaints through this system and they have never responded to me. Maybe, they decide to overlook complaints raised by people from the North East with only one dealer in their city knowing well that their dealers are their bread earners.
Old 2nd August 2011, 10:31   #1766
Team-BHP Support

Its covered under warranty. The TASC is taking you for a ride. Standard warranty covers everything. The extended warranty covers only some parts.
Old 2nd August 2011, 11:48   #1767
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
The answer to your question lies in another thread, and this is what he says regarding his next upgrade.
I am sure our parents bought ambassadors in their times, for the same reasons!
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2011, 18:38   #1768
Team-BHP Support

Default 74000 kms update

I decided to get the 75000kms service done a 1000kms early.
The problems were
1. Steering play - this got fixed after steering cross change, but problem came back
2. Grinding sort of sound on braking
3. Camber out - Tire got partially eaten
4. Hard gearshift

The service was done, bushes were tightened, and steering is fine now(but for how long is anybodies guess).

The Insurance company refused Brake disc under warranty, so I got my car back without brake disc change.

Wrote a mail to Tata asking about the grounds under which this was refused, since in extended warranty booklet there is no mention of any km limit on brake dics.

Car was called again, and brake discs changed under warranty

Other than that, hub greasing was done, and Camber fixed and power steering oil changed(under standard service)

Total service cost 8000

Gearshift is smoother, though not as light as I would like it to be. Esp in the mornings its a pain to slot into gear

Other updates
Somewhere around 72000kms, the speedometer stopped working, and service light came on.
Took her to oberoi, where it was diagnosed to be speed sensor. It was tightened FOC.

Problem came back.

Again gave to oberoi. They again cleaned something.
Problem came back again.

before third time I mailed to Tata. Oberoi changed speed sensor under extended warranty.

I don't think I will be going to Oberoi again. Taking her to Autolinks is a pain(1.5 hour commute one way), but atleast I get good service.
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2011, 20:47   #1769
SDP
Team-BHP Support

tsk1979,
As the saga approaches the crucial 4 year mark, I am surprised that more things keep on getting replaced.
I am pretty sure, maintaining the Safari beyond the extended warranty would be really tough on the wallet.

It would be interesting to see if the Safari reaches 1L kms first or the 4 year mark first.

Thanks for sharing your experience.

PS: I have been reading your log from the time when I was not even a member and your ownership log has been a deciding factor in ruling out Safari as our next car.
SDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2012, 18:25   #1770
Team-BHP Support

The Safari stands at 77000kms. 1L mark is not happening anytime soon. But problems have not ended.
Latest is the 4x4 hubs. They do not engage sometimes, and all I hear is a grinding/krr sound as the front diff rotates the center.
Have to move back and forth to get the auto lockers to engage. Even when they engage, a crunching sound comes.
So need to visit the service center.

Other than that, the power windows are problematic. If its below 5 degrees, the window(Drivers side window) has to be pulled up by hand. It won't come up on its own.

The gearshift is getting worse. Sometimes, no matter how much I try, reverse cannot be engaged. This is happening even with warm engine.

The continentals which I had put in at 20K are at end of life, will need to get a set of 4 new tires, with the least worn out tire doing spare duty.