Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 16th March 2009, 12:12   #721
Team-BHP Support

OT:
Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
More than the spanner - were the lugs tightened last with a machine ?

It is more likely that the lugs were over-tightened. I have easily swapped a tyre on the Sumo, with the stock spanner. But on the Ikon, which has alloys - the lugs were so tight that I could not remove them even after
iKon wheel nuts esp the rear ones have a bad tendency to get stuck coz of rusting, happens even when is tightened using spanner. Smear a lil bit of grease when you remove them. Wipe of the excess grease.

Getting back to the topic, the wheel nut getting stuck was least of the worries if you ask me (can happen/happened with many vehicles irrespective of manufacturer).

Last edited by Jaggu : 16th March 2009 at 12:14.
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2009, 12:16   #722
Team-BHP Support

I suggest you get that longer spanner, not wheel spanner type, but the ring spanner, recessed.
Name:  SteelDeepOffsetRingSpanner.jpg
Views: 676
Size:  37.6 KB

The truck driver had such a spanner, and it did not slip like the wheel spanner did.
I intend to get such a spanner

As for overheating, the temp guage did not go above half mark. except momentarily, and fans were working. Since coolant tank was full, I did not suspect that, however I thought maybe water pump had gone weak and it was not circulating coolant.
Since car was going into limp home mode when temp approached half mark, I also suspected that maybe fuel pump had gone bad, and was not working when hot.

Last edited by tsk1979 : 16th March 2009 at 12:18.
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2009, 12:26   #723
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
Can someone [dadu or tsk] put up a snap of that rubber pipe as we travel next week and would be at least 2 days away from the nearest TASC.
Tanveer would be the right person to post this picture, since I would only be guessing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
I suggest you get that longer spanner, not wheel spanner type, but the ring spanner, recessed.

The truck driver had such a spanner, and it did not slip like the wheel spanner did.

I intend to get such a spanner
Whats the spanner number, the ring spanners usually dont slip unless the nuts are damaged.

Last edited by dadu : 16th March 2009 at 12:28.
dadu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2009, 13:51   #724
Team-BHP Support

I dunno the number, get a size which fits the nuts, simple
As for the pipe, I will post a pic in the evening.
But its easy.
Open the bonnet. You will see the plastic coolant tank near radiator.
From the coolant tank there is a thin black pipe going to radiator(near cap). That had the small bend.
Normally it should not bend, as it is tied using a plastic clip in a way it cannot bend, but due to the flimsy nature of the clip, the pipe had come loose, and therefore this problem
Old 16th March 2009, 13:54   #725
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysmokesleaves View Post
I have faced a similar issue with the wheel nuts jamming more than once.
Whats worse is that when you force too hard on the nut, the 'wonderful' wheel spanner provided by TML slips and damages the nut. Then God save you because after that every/any spanner will slip. The nuts are provided with a facny chrome cap which are the first to break off.
Since then, I have been getting the service done with all wheels taken off, and using wd40 prior to tightening them back, to prevent rust & jamming.

I too was horrified the first time.
I doubt Ratan Tata even knows whats going on.
There are a few really bad lemons, tsk's safari in point. But the rest of them are also lemons, rotting somewhere, some not sweet, and some barely palatable.
No offence here to any Safari owners here. I am a Safari owner too but I have never been emotionally attached to any horse, either on 2/4 wheels.
At the same time I would not want to assume that competitors in the category provide better products, since there arent any options to choose from.
Applying WD40 is to be done in extreme cases. I have manged to help a worker bring out M800 motor without WD40 being applied anywhere.
That is for the worst case scenario.

Earlier toolkits were good and allowed one to work on more components than just changing the wheel. 92 M800 has better toolkit than 05 baleno. I am not just talking about quantity, but also quality. This is common. The tool that are provided are meaning less. In case of a proper 4 X 4 SUV its nice and safe to have a toolkit of yourself and that must have all the necessary things. Aslo have those electric " guns " ( sorry for the wrong words ) that help and losening and tightning the nuts. They can be very helpful. I think if Tsk1979 had these electric nuts machinery, the story would be around 2.5 hours shorter.

After the threads at TBHP, Rata Tata must have been aware of what is exactly going on. I think as a pure people mover, better products are available, an example being Innova.

@tsk1979:
Just saw your post of spanner. It would be good if you have your own set of toolkit with spanners ranging from 8-27. Both ring and open end. We have at home and they are very very useful. Moreover a nice align key set can also prove to be helpful along with electric tool to tighten or loosen a nut ( with electric jack ).

Last edited by aaggoswami : 16th March 2009 at 13:57.
aaggoswami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2009, 13:56   #726
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
tsk1979 : I dunno the number, get a size which fits the nuts, simple
Possibly 19. Have this on the Ikon & the Sumo. Smaller cars may have a smaller size - 17. But pls check.

Guys, check if the nuts on your wheels are outside or recessed, before you get one of these.
condor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2009, 13:59   #727
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
Aslo have those electric " guns " ( sorry for the wrong words ) that help and losening and tightning the nuts. They can be very helpful. I think if Tsk1979 had these electric nuts machinery, the story would be around 2.5 hours shorter.
You are correct but just out of curiosity, where would you connect these electric "guns" - surely not the cigar lighter slot?
suman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2009, 14:00   #728
Team-BHP Support

Recessed spanner is best since it will fit both recessed and outside nuts!

Don't need electric guns but I think an electric jack is must. When I jacked her up, I realized what does a 2 ton SUV fit.
anyways an update.
A guy from TVS called up apologizing for night fiasco of nuts.
Apparently after I called Tata helpline, the TVS guys were supposed to send service vehicle, but the guy at Panipat had kept his mobile in another room and slept on duty.
So they could not send a breakdown vehicle.

As for toolkit, the safari toolkit is really pathetic, there is no star screwdriver. When I was cleaning the air filter at Sangla, I stopped a maruti 800 to get a star screwdriver.

Even my indica had a star screwdriver!

Last edited by tsk1979 : 16th March 2009 at 14:05.
Old 16th March 2009, 14:08   #729
BANNED

Quote:

Don't need electric guns but I think an electric jack is must. When I jacked her up, I realized what does a 2 ton SUV fit.
anyways an update.
A guy from TVS called up apologizing for night fiasco of nuts.
Apparently after I called Tata helpline, the TVS guys were supposed to send service vehicle, but the guy at Panipat had kept his mobile in another room and slept on duty.
So they could not send a breakdown vehicle.

As for toolkit, the safari toolkit is really pathetic, there is no star screwdriver. When I was cleaning the air filter at Sangla, I stopped a maruti 800 to get a star screwdriver.

Even my indica had a star screwdriver!
Tanveer,

Now after all that has gone through, what is that you intend to do.

Since the problem was only with the radiator hose, will you get it rectified or are you asking for a full fledged replacement of the Safari.

You seem to have a really absurd problems with your pet.

Kindly let us know your plan of action from now on.
PAVAN KADAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2009, 14:11   #730
Team-BHP Support

Tanveer, sorry if I missed the update. Is the car fine now ?
Eddy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2009, 14:15   #731
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Most cars do not have toolkits these days, let alone "good" or "pathetic". The "funda" being that there's not much you can do with the kit, given the drive by wire technology in place these days.

You had to clean the air filter at Sangla again or you didn't have it cleaned before the trip? Was the red band showing? That's one basic thing I do before going on long drives, particularly if one is headed up to the mountains.
suman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2009, 14:26   #732
Team-BHP Support

suman ji wait for the travelogue. The air filter cleaning was a shot in the dark. I remembered an incident on TBHP itself where a safari had loss of power, and cause was airfilter. But air filter had been cleaned barely 1500kms ago when injector replacement was done

At that time me and my wife both were thinking what could be wrong.
I thought
1. Maybe air filter is clogged, after all it was the dustiest drive I had done
2. Maybe water pump had failed, since coolant tank is full, and car is going into limp home mode when temp approaches half mark
3. Maybe sedimenter sensor has failed, there is water in sedimentar and its not showing the problem
4. Maybe I have kerosene instead of diesel, due to which fuel pump etc., is having issues as temp of engine rises

My wife thought
1. Some sensor has failed, after all temp sensor had failed once
2. Some connector is loose somewhere, and as temp rises, it loses connection

Next day the sedimentar was drained, and we got diesel inspected at HP pump, and it was clean, no debris, no water. Air filter was dirty when I cleaned it at sangla, but not that dirty that air filter is restricting airflow.

Finally the service guy caught an overnight bus from shimla to reckong peo, and at 7am the laptop was hooked and finally after some hit and trial, the real problem was found.

Now my plan of action?
I have mailed Tata asking for replacement.
The reason is that I have had 1 critical 4x4 hub failure
Along with that so many parts of common rail changed.

Now she is leaking oil(I see the manifold leaking oil)

Moreover, the car has overheated twice, and we have been stranded on road twice
Once in Gurgaon, and once in remote himalayas.
I am waiting for response from TML, what they have to say about this fiasco

Last edited by tsk1979 : 16th March 2009 at 14:28.
Old 16th March 2009, 14:43   #733
Senior - BHPian

Just as part of their apology, TML should replace you Safari. If the new one runs well, they'll have a loyal customer and done the right thing by taking a lemon off the roads - at the end of the day its their responsibility.
zenx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2009, 15:02   #734
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenx View Post
Just as part of their apology, TML should replace you Safari. If the new one runs well, they'll have a loyal customer and done the right thing by taking a lemon off the roads - at the end of the day its their responsibility.
Zenx, he is a loyal customer. Do read up the history on other threads.
anupmathur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2009, 15:22   #735
BHPian

Quote:

anyways an update.
Don't know about the quality of a Electric jack, but I bought a 2T hydrailic jack (Ebay). The quality is good. The only problem is that there is no proper place to stow it.
kingshukt is offline   Reply With Quote